PDA

View Full Version : Racquetball & Fitness Announces Name Change, $50M Expansion Plan

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Racquetball & Fitness Announces Name Change and Three-Year, $50 Million Expansion Plan for San Antonio

SAN ANTONIO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2004--
Improved Amenities, New Facilities and Unique Programs Will Meet City's Growing Fitness Needs

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20041001005531&newsLang=en

One of America's oldest and most respected fitness chains announces a new name, a new look, new amenities -- and a three-year, $50 million expansion in the Alamo City that will meet the urgent fitness needs of one of America's "fattest" cities.

Racquetball & Fitness Clubs of San Antonio (RFC), San Antonio's largest chain of health and fitness centers, officially becomes Spectrum Health Clubs today -- and will immediately begin a citywide expansion that could lead to opening as many as 10 new San Antonio locations within three years.

The announcement completes an evolution that began when RFC founder Bruce Hendin sold the chain to Spectrum in 1999.

Spectrum officials unveiled plans for an initial $10 million investment: $4 million to upgrade existing San Antonio clubs and $6 million to build a new Spectrum Health Club on Austin Highway in the upscale Alamo Heights neighborhood.

"We want Spectrum to be synonymous with fitness in the San Antonio market," said Matthew Stevens, Spectrum's chief executive officer and president. "Operating under one name with one philosophy of first-class service will immediately stamp San Antonio with the Spectrum brand, positioning us for the next three years of aggressive and strategic growth."

Spectrum currently operates eight clubs in San Antonio, with 66,000 members and 600 employees. The company also owns and operates 10 clubs in the Los Angeles area, with a total of 56,000 members and 900 employees.

The new $6 million Spectrum Health Club in Alamo Heights will be built at 1246 Austin Highway, in the Alamo Hills Plaza Shopping Center. In addition to the site of the future club, the company has purchased neighboring Purely Physical in the same center, which will provide Spectrum members with a temporary location to enjoy Spectrum's services and amenities right away while the new facility is built.

Construction will be completed in late spring or early summer of 2005. The facility will offer 45,000 square feet of prime workout space (including 10,000 square feet devoted to fitness programming for kids), spacious locker rooms, an aquatic center, a world-class gymnasium and more. It will initially employ 50-75 people.

"Spectrum Health Club members will enjoy improvements that fit their busy lifestyles," said Andy Gillen, chief of operations for Spectrum. "We are investing more than $4 million to bring the former Racquetball & Fitness clubs up to Spectrum standards."

Upgrades will include towel service; new keyless lockers for improved convenience and security; personal flat-screen TVs on 25 percent of cardio equipment in each club; and numerous spa-quality locker room amenities, such as shower gel, shampoo, hair dryers and curling irons. Each club will also continue to offer certified personal trainers and the very latest in specialized programs.

Several Spectrum locations will undergo "facelifts" to include enhanced color schemes, flooring, carpeting and other improvements. And all staff will sport new uniforms and badges.

With financial operations headquartered in San Antonio, Spectrum is the 10th largest fitness company in the United States. It has eight locations in the Alamo City, 10 locations in the Los Angeles area, 1,500 employees and more than 122,000 members.

In San Antonio, Spectrum is the official health club of the two-time NBA world-champion San Antonio Spurs. Spectrum contributes considerable financial and volunteer resources to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Special Olympics, the American Heart Association and the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and many other causes that advance health, fitness and medical research.

For more information, visit www.spectrumclubs.com.

pooh
10-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Lower the prices on membership fees and people will consider going, otherwise it's up to Wal-Mart, Academy to buy your own equipment or just to go up to a HS track and walk. That's what I do...save money anyway you can.

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 06:48 PM
It's like $29 per month. You can't get much cheaper than that.

Shelly
10-01-2004, 06:49 PM
They changed the name last week. We got free t-shirts. I asked if they were gonna raise my dues again and they said no.

Yeah, right.

It's like $29 per month. You can't get much cheaper than that.

No, it's around $40. It was that when I joined 4 years ago. We pay around $78 a month for me and my husband. Everyone I've talked to pays around that also unless they got in on some special deal.

pooh
10-01-2004, 06:50 PM
To some that's high. Even to me it is. But then again there isn't a Racquetball and Fitness here on the Southside where's needed the most.

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 06:54 PM
I heard them promoting a $29 rate if you signed up for 2 years.

The real Spectrum Clubs are much more -- the Rogers Ranch one is $150/month for 2 people.

We belong to HomeCourtAmerica and pay around $20/month per person.

pooh
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Problem is keeping someone interested in going. I'm sure they lose a lot with those who don't pay their dues, etc. $20/month isn't bad...but unless you're a workout freak and your loaded with cash, $150/month is too much.

Shelly
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
yeah, it's probably some special they are running for the name change, but I bet you have to pay 2 years up front for that rate.

pooh
10-01-2004, 07:00 PM
yeah, it's probably some special they are running for the name change, but I bet you have to pay 2 years up front for that rate.

There's always a catch...it wouldn't be business if it wasn't.

Shelly
10-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Problem is keeping someone interested in going. I'm sure they lose a lot with those who don't pay their dues, etc. $20/month isn't bad...but unless you're a workout freak and your loaded with cash, $150/month is too much.

They aren't losing anything. It's not month to month. You have to give them 3 months notice if you want to quit. The dues are automatically deducted out of your checking account or charged to your credit card.

There's always a rush right after New Years. By February, those people are all gone, yet they keep paying, because they are gonna start back up again. They know this.

Personally, I prefer a gym. I make way too many excuses not to work out at home and I like the option of using different types of equipment.

pooh
10-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Personally, I prefer a gym. I make way too many excuses not to work out at home and I like the option of using different types of equipment.

Yeah you get a lot of those who try that New Years' Resolution and the Summer group. Personally I prefer just going to a HS track and go walking or running 5-10 miles. And if you live close to one, you can walk. I want to get into bike riding.

Useruser666
10-01-2004, 09:43 PM
I had a Concord membership for $100 a month just for me. Nice place, Spurs go there sometimes. I played horse with Iceman once. And no, not this message board Iceman, unless they're one in the same. :p

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 09:49 PM
timvp used to have a Concord membership for a long time, but we decided to switch to HomeCourt last year.

Maybe you played basketball against timvp too. :)

Useruser666
10-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Hmmmm. Actually they stopped billing me for like 6 months and me beong the type not to cplain didn't say anything. :cooldevil Then I got this letter saying I owed lke $435 or so bucks. I called them and told them it was their mistake. They ate it in the end. I still had my ID and continued going there after they stopped billing me for a long time. I haven't been in a while but might have to try again. I've been to Homecourt and played there with a free pass. I was thinking about a Racketball membership but I've notive they seem pretty packed lately and I don't know if I want to go to such a crowded gym. I want to start playing regualry because I supposed to play on a friend of mine's Hoop-It-Up team. Oh well.

Kori Ellis
10-01-2004, 10:12 PM
^^ A similar thing happened to us from Concord on the billing thing. And it happened to another person we know. I guess they should keep better track of their billing.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-01-2004, 10:17 PM
I noticed that on my way in today as I passed by the Bandera Pointe location.

SequSpur
10-01-2004, 11:02 PM
I can't go to those places. They take one look at me and want to recruit me as a Master fitness trainer.

What can I say?

:smokin

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Sequ...they want to recruit you to play Tattoo in their "Fantasy Island" idea for a commercial.

Say it with us now, Sequ.

"De plane, boss...de plane!"

SequSpur
10-01-2004, 11:52 PM
If I had dark hair and was a midget and almost looked like a mexican, then I would say, yeah, your funny....

However, its not even close and your a idiot.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-01-2004, 11:59 PM
If I had dark hair and was a midget and almost looked like a mexican, then I would say, yeah, your funny....

However, its not even close and your a idiot.

Dark hair = X
Midget = Check (Ariel Bender's literally bending over and he could still rest his arms on your head)
Almost Looks Like a Mexican = Check

Two out of three every night keeps me in the starting lineup.

http://www.mailbling.com/sequ1.jpg
http://www.mailbling.com/happy3.jpg

SequSpur
10-02-2004, 12:01 AM
Dude, you're no George Clooney. What are you anyway? A cross between a Mexican, Hispanic, North Korean and a Chinese Hermaphrodyte?

STFU and quit posting pics. They aren't for your use.

Kori Ellis
10-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Sequ, aren't you British?

That's not very close to Mexican.

SequSpur
10-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Born in England. Half English, Half Cajun.

JB is not a comedian. He needs to give up now before I take up the career of making him look like a fool.

Late.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Damn, somebody got pissy.

I'll end this with a classic Sequ quote.

Fuck off.

SequSpur
10-02-2004, 12:11 AM
:rollin

Try Blow Me.

Shelly
10-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Freaks!

I get to RB...er..Spectrum at about 7:40am. It's never crowded at that time. I've never had to wait for a machine. I'm there with the geriatric crowd.

maxpower
10-02-2004, 08:40 AM
And the first picture is Sequ's interpretation of the old school "Toyota!" commercial.