PDA

View Full Version : Manu as alternate Point Guard?

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-29-2006, 01:33 AM
We all know Tony is made for the team as the ballhandler, but hypothetically how do you think this team would fare if he had a larger role as primary point guard. He got 9 assists today, and I could see him being consistent with that number if Tony were out. His court vision is great and always makes sick dishes to Duncan and co.'s sweet spots. Duncan seems to respond well to Ginobili's dishes the most. From what I've seen it's not just an obligatory secondary position since he's really unselfish and plays for the team. If he weren't a shooting guard I think he coulda been a pretty crafty point guard. The only problem might be his turnovers and somewhat below average ballhandling.

And no, do not take this as a bashing of Tony and/or make this a Tony vs. Manu thread!

Kori Ellis
03-29-2006, 01:34 AM
I think it would be a waste of Manu's talent. The ball goes through him in crunch time situations but to use him as the primary backup point guard seems like a waste.

Solid D
03-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Manu is and has always been a playmaker. He is not just a shooting guard. Nothing new seen tonight. Manu is an excellent ballhandler.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Manu is an excellent ballhandler.
Yeah I guess below average was an overstatement. He's good. I guess I meant for point-guard handles, he's no Nash or Tony.

timvp
03-29-2006, 01:40 AM
At the end of games, Manu already is the point guard. It's been that way for a couple years now.

slayermin
03-29-2006, 01:43 AM
He's a natural playmaker and a good ball handler. Playing point is not a stretch for him or Barry.

Quasar
03-29-2006, 02:14 AM
...The only problem might be his turnovers and somewhat below average ballhandling. His ball handling is sick! No way he's below average, even compared to Tony.

Also, it seems to me that he's been sharing point duties with Tony in tight games.

Tom_Foolery
03-29-2006, 03:50 AM
I think it would be a waste of Manu's talent. The ball goes through him in crunch time situations but to use him as the primary backup point guard seems like a waste.

Kinda agree, but wouldn't say he would be a "waste".

I think he would command more attention than Parker because of his 3pt shooting and I think Manu actually does a better job creating shots for others around him because of his offense.

I wouldn't use him as a "primary" backup, but since NVE has been hobbled by that elbow and if Beno seems to be getting beat by his man, I think I might like a Manu/Barry guard tandem with both rotating as primary ball handler.

Manu playing the point is intriguing. The only problem is that he sometimes is erratic and tends to play sometimes at a higher pace than some of his teammates and aren't ready for some of his "flashy" plays.

orhe
03-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Manu tends to pass a lot more than tony who looks for his layups. each has its own pros and cons.

kalikot_boy_kr
03-29-2006, 07:37 AM
:tu :tu :tu :tu GREAT WORK MANU.

ploto
03-29-2006, 08:10 AM
Pop has said all along that Manu can't be Manu when he plays point guard. I agree.

SenorSpur
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Barrry filled in admirably at the PG position also.

Sportman
03-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Well actually a famous coach from argentina called CHE Garcia once said that manu would have always played as a point guard if he had coached him, but it never happened.

hendrix
03-29-2006, 10:17 AM
It could happen by the end of his career... i'm not trying to compare him to Jordan, but once his speed slows down, he'll still have his generous playmaking abilities.

Hook Dem
03-29-2006, 10:24 AM
At the end of games, Manu already is the point guard. It's been that way for a couple years now.
Keen observation! :tu

SuperManu!!!
03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Maybe we should make a change, manu as our PG and parker as our SG :P

MaNuMaNiAc
03-29-2006, 03:27 PM
I don't know, seems to me Parker is doing a good job as it is. Not to say Manu couldn't do a good job, but why fix what isn't broken. By the way, how long is Tony out for? just this game?

ALVAREZ6
03-29-2006, 05:37 PM
I think Tony should start PG and Manu start at SG, and then Manu rests, Tony stays in.

Then when Tony comes out, Manu comes back in as a PG and Finley or Barry as a SG.

I think that would be dominant.

aaronstampler
03-29-2006, 09:51 PM

:oops whoa. ::stares:: Wowza.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
03-30-2006, 06:29 AM
I've always known Manu played the point at the end of games and during tight situations. He had a big part behind the arc in the Finals.
I just meant for the thread, "what if" Manu's role was larger as the Spurs point guard over shooting guard.

Manu's one of the best shooting guards in the league. I just think he coulda been a great point guard too. I think he could parallel Steve Nash a bit, if he ran the offense for a majority of the game. Averaging 10 assists in a season doesn't seem that uncharacteristic of Manu. Of course it'd compromise their offensive/defensive schemes, by letting Manu take over like Phoenix did with Nash and with only 15 losses there'd be no point to do it now.
It could happen by the end of his career... i'm not trying to compare him to Jordan, but once his speed slows down, he'll still have his generous playmaking abilities. That'd be good for Manu when he's older, doesn't have to sacrifice his body so much during the game. He'll train his younger teammates to do it for him. That's if it's ok with Tony, by then ideally, he'd be on Iverson's level and can switch to SG.

His ball handling is sick!
And yeah, I was wrong to say he was "below average", he's great at creating off the dribble like Kobe, (To Lakers: a poor man's Kobe) (To Spursfans: a poor man's Kobe) but he kind of has an unorthodox style. I just meant Tony and Nash have more natural control it seems.

waly.mg
03-30-2006, 10:59 AM
He got 9 assists today

And more Important, 9 Assist with Only 1 TO ,a nice AS/TO ratio and so the 3 ST/1TO

leemajors
03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
I've always known Manu played the point at the end of games and during tight situations. He had a big part behind the arc in the Finals.
I just meant for the thread, "what if" Manu's role was larger as the Spurs point guard over shooting guard.

Manu's one of the best shooting guards in the league. I just think he coulda been a great point guard too. I think he could parallel Steve Nash a bit, if he ran the offense for a majority of the game. Averaging 10 assists in a season doesn't seem that uncharacteristic of Manu. Of course it'd compromise their offensive/defensive schemes, by letting Manu take over like Phoenix did with Nash and with only 15 losses there'd be no point to do it now. That'd be good for Manu when he's older, doesn't have to sacrifice his body so much during the game. He'll train his younger teammates to do it for him. That's if it's ok with Tony, by then ideally, he'd be on Iverson's level and can switch to SG.

And yeah, I was wrong to say he was "below average", he's great at creating off the dribble like Kobe, (To Lakers: a poor man's Kobe) (To Spursfans: a poor man's Kobe) but he kind of has an unorthodox style. I just meant Tony and Nash have more natural control it seems.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=4559923

TMTTRIO
03-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Sean Elliott said that Manu could probably play point guard on many teams in this league.