PDA

View Full Version : ESPN weekend Dime (spurs related)

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2006, 03:09 AM
Stein talks about san antonio's health issues nearing playoff time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060329

SPECIAL MIDWEEK EDITION:
Healthy aims for SpursBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- Eight victories shy of the best win total in franchise history, with 11 chances left to get them, Gregg Popovich knows what he probably won't see even if his team gets there.
A glimpse of his team in Finals form.

Popovich suggested Tuesday night that he hasn't seen one yet, 71 games into the schedule. He's still hoping for something resembling a fearsome run in the final three weeks of the regular season, and hoping for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs along with it, but he sounds resigned to starting the playoffs without tangible proof that the deepest team the San Antonio Spurs have ever fielded can be everything he envisioned.

"I don't think we're playing at the level we were at when we played Detroit last year," Popovich said.

C'mon, Pop.

Surely you've seen a hint or two of that standard in a 55-16 campaign.

"Not really," Pop said.

Not that he's complaining.

First of all, who would listen? As we've written more than once in this cyberspace, just about any coach in the league would gladly trade for San Antonio's problems.

You were reminded of this at Staples Center, where the Spurs played their first game all season without their most consistent player and scarcely missed Tony Parker, moving the ball and protecting the paint and thus cruising past a potential first-round opponent in a 98-87 dismissal of the Los Angeles Clippers.

Secondly . . .

Popovich isn't exactly searching for what's been missing. He knows.

He knows he has a core of proven champions -- a priceless postseason advantage only the Spurs and Pistons can claim -- and he knows why teams as unproven as the Clippers (according to Sam Cassell) can come into games like this saying they match up well with the reigning champs.

The Spurs haven't been clamping down on teams defensively like they normally do in recent weeks, and rebounding has been an unexpected concern for months, but nothing has been more elusive than health.

"The nagging things," Popovich said, "haven't allowed us to be what I think we can be."

Tim Duncan. Manu Ginobili. Robert Horry. Nick Van Exel. None of them is expected to play at full capacity in the playoffs because of season-long ailments that won't go away.

And now even Parker has a shin problem interrupting the season of his life, although it's not considered serious.

It's not the longest list of guys playing hurt in the league -- "Dallas has had more injury problems than we've had," Pop volunteered -- but it's sufficiently long to have kept the Spurs' famously demanding coach on the mellow side. For longer than we've ever seen, actually.

It started in training camp, remember, when the Spurs were put through only one set of two-a-day practices. But Popovich has kept the grind in mind ever since, to the point that not even a recent defensive slump set him off. Before smothering the Clippers here, holding the hosts to 37.8-percent shooting from the floor, San Antonio had been "just a decent" defensive team all month in Pop's estimation. Yet he defended his players anyway.

"It's not that people are coasting," Popovich said. "We just haven't been able to get in a rhythm like we had last year . . . but a lot of it has been health."

Said Horry, who's finally starting to shake a hip problem: "We're not thrilled with how we've played for a lot of the season, but we're positive. We're optimistic. It's been a battle for us all year, but I'd rather gel late than early."

You knew Big Shot Rob would say that.

But his coach?

"You're going to hate my answer, but it doesn't matter if I like [our current form] or not," Popovich said. "It's where it sits, so I don't think about whether I like it or not.

"We're just trying to make sure everybody is as healthy as they can possibly be come playoff time so that we can hopefully play our best basketball. Nothing's really more important than that."

polandprzem
03-29-2006, 04:04 AM
That's my worry.

Does the spurs got enough time to be able making the last push.

Some are saying it is not important to have a rythym going into the playoffs. But it is.
The team must know what are they capable of doing. Coach must know what he can expect from the players and the lineup he is putting in. Without a maximum effort there is no chace of getting a ring.
And with all those health problem it is difficult to get that rythym. And all those rotation prooblem because of it. So if the spurs have enough time?

Btw I'm watching the pho-sa game and nobody have noticed that Dick Stockton said (when Marion hit the trey) Sean Elliott for three...and he hits, Elliott with the three poit basket.... :drunk

SAGambler
03-29-2006, 01:19 PM
I'll tell you what. The rotation that was on the floor last night looked pretty damn good.

Considering how the Clips put it to the Spurs the last time they played, I think the Spurs were really focused. Maybe part of it was they knew Tony was out and they were all going to have to step up.

But most of the night that ball was zipping around the court and they were finding the wide open shooter.

After that performance last night, Pop just might want to consider giving Tony another night off Thursday night.

I really think the long grind of the season is starting to wear players down. Not just here, but over the entire league. I'm sure most of these guys wish the playoffs had started yesterday.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-29-2006, 01:32 PM
to me last night's win was all the more impressive since we were without parker who has been crucial for us all year long, and we did it on their floor

Aggie Hoopsfan
03-29-2006, 02:05 PM
I'll tell you what. The rotation that was on the floor last night looked pretty damn good

Teams have a tendency to elevate their games as a whole when they are without one of their best players. We've been on the other end of that enough times the last several years that you guys should recognize that.

T Park
03-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Hopefully they can keep it up when Tony returns.

LakerHater0823
03-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Timmy looked like the Timmy of the playoffs the other night against the Clips

CubanMustGo
03-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Timmay is looking better. When he can get the banked J's dropping a little more consistently it'll be a huge help. Those seem to be improving, too.