PDA

View Full Version : Foo Fighters or Nirvana?

mavsfan1000
03-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Which band do you think is better and why?

Darrin
03-29-2006, 05:04 AM
I'm more a Nirvana fan. Their lyrics just had that extra pop, and it was genuinely dark. Foo is more pop than alternative.

exstatic
03-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Foo. Nirvana is nothing more than an albums long Cobain suicide note, and that's too depressing to listen too.

ObiwanGinobili
03-29-2006, 08:53 AM
that is a choice I refuse to make.

Vashner
03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Yea senseless thread...

Can't compare 2 unique bands. They may share some stylistic features of "grunge" but that's bout it.

mookie2001
03-29-2006, 10:03 AM
^and a member vashner

mookie2001
03-29-2006, 10:04 AM
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL@this thread though
are you kidding me?

whos better pantera or superjoint ritual?

Vashner
03-29-2006, 10:06 AM
I think Pantera was a band when Superjoint was in elementry school...

Trainwreck2100
03-29-2006, 10:11 AM
The lead singer of foo didn't marry an ugly ass bitch, so foo

Vashner
03-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Yea I agree points off for Psycho bitch...

KEDA
03-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Im a bigger Foo Fighters fan then a Nirvana one. But I like both!

And there arent many bands that can top Pantera! R I P Dimebag.

Vashner
03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
lol 109 million vbucks?

samikeyp
03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Foo Fighters.

Vashner
03-29-2006, 12:10 PM
Matchbox 20 owns both...

MoSpur
03-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Laughing at the Matchbox 20 comment.

I like both. They are both good bands, but I would have to say Nirvana was better. They stood out and their songs still get a lot of play.

mookie2001
03-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Matchbox 20 owns both...
youve got to be shitting me

you really are THAT conservative

tlongII
03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Nirvana without a doubt.

Jekka
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Matchbox 20 owns both...

:lmao Now that's funny.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Nirvana easy, Foo is ok but there not that great, and certainly not revolutionary like Nirvana was.

I agree
this should not even be a debate

valluco
03-29-2006, 12:41 PM
Nirvana. They helped put an end to that shitty hair band crap.

midgetonadonkey
03-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Matchbox 20 owns both...

That's like saying Creed owns Pantera and Superjoint Ritual.

jman3000
03-29-2006, 01:33 PM
If we're going by bands that Dave Grohl has been in.... then I'm gonna have to say Queens of the Stone Age. Most people know of just a few songs, but they have sooooooo much stuff (probably a good 14 albums worth) Dave Grohl said before Songs for the Deaf came out that it was the best rock album he's heard in 10 years... which covers the times when Nevermind, Incesticide and In Utero were out.

PM5K
03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree
this should not even be a debate

QFMFT

mavsfan1000
03-29-2006, 01:42 PM
Well this would be a stupid thread if it talked about who made the bigger impact in the music industry? This is what you like best? I prefer the Foo Fighters since they are more upbeat of a band. Nirvana's music is very depressing to listen to. I'll have to check on that Queens of the Stone Age band I guess as well.

mookie2001
03-29-2006, 01:45 PM
foo fighters are pretty generic sounding though
nirvana changed music because of their sound

Allan Rowe vs Wade
03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
QFMFT
whats that mean?

PM5K
03-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Quoted for mother fucking truth....

MannyIsGod
03-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Dave Grohl was not an origional member (nor touring member) of QOTSA. I think he just
did studio work on one album so you can't even really call him a member.

Man, the Foo have changed so much. The first album was ALL GROHL. Dude made every single piece of sound on that album, which is amazing. He was literally a one man band.

And the band has come a LONG way. They're really fucknig good.

Bur Nirvana is Nirvana. And had Kurt not been murdered, who knows where they would have gone. Its an unfair comparisson, and as much as I love Nirvana I can't say they were "better".

PM5K
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
as I love Nirvana I can't say they were "better".

Gay....

CharlieMac
03-29-2006, 02:05 PM
what the fuck, wheres my post?

CharlieMac
03-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Fuck.

Well, I'm gonna echo some of what Manny said. Dave only did work on that one QOTSA album, and he really over-praises bands when he has a hand in them. He said great things about Verbena, Killing Joke, The Sounds, Tenecious D and so on. But I will say that Songs for the Deaf is easily one of the best albums in teh past 10 years. Jman3000, if you like that stoner rock sound, you'll probably dig Eagles of Death Metal, which Josh Homme has a hand in as well.

That first album was amazing and that's what probably puts Foo Fighters ahead of Nirvana for me. Most of that shit was written when Dave was with Nirvana which makes it even better. Also, one of my favorite Nirvana songs is a B-side Dave wrote and sang on.

Now I like Nirvana and all, especially when I was in high school, In Utero never gets old, but Kurt did put a lot of crap out too. If anyone says Bleach is a great album, they're lying.

Cant_Be_Faded
03-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Matchbox 20 owns both...
oh my god
you really are that conservative aren't you

scott
03-29-2006, 06:59 PM
Nirvana, but the band Nirvana ripped off extensively, The Pixies, owns both.

atxrocker
03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Nirvana, hands down

spurs=bling
03-29-2006, 09:26 PM
i like staind

slayermin
03-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Slayer>Sepultura>Pantera>Metallica

Alice in Chains>Soundgarden>Nirvana>Pearl Jam

SOD>Anthrax>Mod

All of the above > Foo Fighters

CharlieMac
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Nirvana, but the band Nirvana ripped off extensively, The Pixies, owns both.

You know what's funny, a few years ago Killing Joke claimed Nirvana ripped off Come As You Are from them, which no one really took seriously. But the Foo Fighters did a cover of a Killing Joke song (Requiem) as a B-side for the My Hero single, then Dave went and drummed on an album for them about 3 years ago. That was pretty interesting. That Killing Joke album, the Death and Ressurrection show owns though.

Guru of Nothing
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I prefer the Foo Fighters since they are more upbeat of a band. Nirvana's music is very depressing to listen to.

Weird, considering you are a Mav's fan and all ...

mookie2001
03-30-2006, 01:03 AM
well naturally slayer reigns from upon, but sepultara couldnt hold megadeths smegma

mavsfan1000
03-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Dude Sepultura rocks. "Dead Embryonic Cell" and "Chaos A.D." are some of their best songs. I still haven't heard it all but they got some good shit.

SoCalSpursFan
03-30-2006, 03:33 AM
Nirvana to me has one of the best rock songs ever in "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...but...Foo Fighters is the better band now. I mean, if Nirvana was still together, I would think my answer would be different.

jman3000
03-30-2006, 05:49 AM
To the comments about QOTSA above: I know that Dave was not an original member of QOTSA, that would belong to just 2 people, Josh Homme and Alfredo Garcia. Contrary to popular believe, Nick Oliveri didn't play bass on the self titled album he just did the early tours. I really don't want to sound like a know it all on the situation, but I don't know many people who are into anything they have done before SFTD and arguably the best work they have put out has only been heard by the bigger fans. IMHO, Rated R, QOTSA(self titled), many many b-sides, and even many of the Desert Sessions are as good if not better then SFTD.

To eriks, if you like Eagles of Death Metal (personally one of my favorite bands.... I've had Death By Sexy since November.... even though it doesnt come out till April : X ) and other Josh Hommes produced stuff, you should check out Kyuss. It's a lot heavier then anything QOTSA have put out but it really blows a lot of the stuff that's coming out now out of the water, even though their first album was well over 15 years ago.

Probably a lot of people don't know or don't care about what I'm talking about, but if anybody gives these bands a listen, they will truely find something that is unique and not processed in anyway.

baseline bum
03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
What the fuck kind of dumb-ass question is this? That's like asking who's better between Ice Cube and 50 Cent.

CharlieMac
03-30-2006, 11:12 AM
To the comments about QOTSA above: I know that Dave was not an original member of QOTSA, that would belong to just 2 people, Josh Homme and Alfredo Garcia. Contrary to popular believe, Nick Oliveri didn't play bass on the self titled album he just did the early tours. I really don't want to sound like a know it all on the situation, but I don't know many people who are into anything they have done before SFTD and arguably the best work they have put out has only been heard by the bigger fans. IMHO, Rated R, QOTSA(self titled), many many b-sides, and even many of the Desert Sessions are as good if not better then SFTD.

To eriks, if you like Eagles of Death Metal (personally one of my favorite bands.... I've had Death By Sexy since November.... even though it doesnt come out till April : X ) and other Josh Hommes produced stuff, you should check out Kyuss. It's a lot heavier then anything QOTSA have put out but it really blows a lot of the stuff that's coming out now out of the water, even though their first album was well over 15 years ago.

Probably a lot of people don't know or don't care about what I'm talking about, but if anybody gives these bands a listen, they will truely find something that is unique and not processed in anyway.

You know I tried with Kyuss and even Mondo Generator and neither really did it for me. I don't know, maybe I'll give Kyuss another shot. You can catch a few Death By Sexy songs on LimeWire, but there's a lot of bullshit to weed through to find it. Rated R is probably the album that really got me into them when I caught the Monsters of Parasol video on MTV2 a looooong time ago. Also, as far as the first record goes, Regular John is easily one of the best songs live.

TOP-CHERRY
03-30-2006, 11:22 AM
Foo Fightas'

jman3000
03-30-2006, 02:46 PM
You know I tried with Kyuss and even Mondo Generator and neither really did it for me. I don't know, maybe I'll give Kyuss another shot. You can catch a few Death By Sexy songs on LimeWire, but there's a lot of bullshit to weed through to find it. Rated R is probably the album that really got me into them when I caught the Monsters of Parasol video on MTV2 a looooong time ago. Also, as far as the first record goes, Regular John is easily one of the best songs live.
:tu
You really have to listen to Kyuss through the right speakers. If you're not listening to it through good speakers it really doesnt give it justice. This is probably more a product of the age of the recordings then anything. I'm a big fan of guitar riffs and sounds, not so much a particular genre or anything. If youre interested in giving their stuff a listen I recommend: One Inch Man, Jumbo Blimp Jumbo, Spaceship Landing (11 minute song w/ 3 minute guitar solo), Thumb, Writhe, Allen's Wrench, Fatso Forgotso, ALL of Welcome to Sky Valley, Stage III, and Isolation Desolation. If you have a Soulseek account my name is Jman3000 there as well.

slayermin
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
well naturally slayer reigns from upon, but sepultara couldnt hold megadeths smegma

I like Megadeth. I really do. My favorite album from them is "Peace sells, but Who's Buying?"

But have you ever listened to

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000000H3Z.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

CharlieMac
04-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Man that drumming for the Probot album is rad. If any of you guys dig metal like Motorhead, you'll dig this Dave Grohl project.

leemajors
04-03-2006, 09:12 AM
uhhh nirvana hands down, it's not even remotely close. maybe you just had to be a teen when nirvana hit it big, but they changed my life and millions of others. grohl should have stayed behind the kit.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-03-2006, 06:48 PM
It's like asking which branch of physics has the most psychedelic ramifications: classical or quantum?

chode_regulator
04-03-2006, 07:26 PM
It's like asking which branch of physics has the most psychedelic ramifications: classical or quantum?
lol

and mookie speaks the truf about megadeth, slayer and pantera
man i wish i could kill whowever killed dimebag. what a doosh.
i will have to go with nirvana bc i really do like alot of their songs, ilike some foo songs but in a tongue in cheek kinda way. i like a hell of a lot more nirvana songs though
and man there so many better metal bands out there better than slayer, megadeth and pantera. well maybe not pantera but...

Cant_Be_Faded
04-03-2006, 07:42 PM
The guitar solo from "Die By The Sword" is one of the most purely bad ass guitar solos of all time though