PDA

View Full Version : Spurs fans in LA

zocool16
03-29-2006, 04:40 AM
I was glad to see there were so many Spurs supporters at the Staples Center last night. It wasn't a 50-50 thing but there were plenty of Spurs supporters wearing jerseys, hats, t-shirts, and even other stuff i hadn't seen before. It was a surprise to me almost because other than me, I don't personally know any other Spurs fans, or supporters (other than my parents whom I got into the Spurs hehe)

missmyzte
03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
There are a lot of Spurs fans in So Cal, I've gotten to know a bunch of them. There are always a lot of Ginobili jerseys in the crowd.

nkdlunch
03-29-2006, 09:58 AM
nice. yeah I don't know ANY other spur fans out here on the east coast

SenorSpur
03-29-2006, 10:04 AM
I watch all Spurs games on NBA League Pass and I've also noticed a dramatic increase in the number of Spurs fans at opposing arenas around the league. These fans also seem to be more "visible" than in years past.

While it's not to the same level as "Bulls mania" back in the Jordan days, the Spurs do have their legions of fans around the country.

During last night's game versus the Clippers, I was forced to listen to their local telecast. To my surprise, they were "quite" complimentary toward the Spurs, their championship pedigree and experience, and their organization.

At one point, they conducted a courtside interview with former "Laverne and Shirley" star, Penny Marshall - herself a big Clippers fan. She exhorted her support for the Spurs. In fact, she indicated she's "always been a fan of the Spurs" because of the way they play, the type of guys on the team. She went on to say that she is even friends with several of the payers, including Pop. Go figure that one!

I guess everyone loves a winner.

Jimcs50
03-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Bandwagon fans.

Do you remember any Chicago fans outside of Chicago prior to 1991?

All teams that win multiple championhips gain fans throughout the nation.

T-Pain
03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
I watch all Spurs games on NBA League Pass and I've also noticed a dramatic increase in the number of Spurs fans at opposing arenas around the league. These fans also seem to be more "visible" than in years past.

While it's not to the same level as "Bulls mania" back in the Jordan days, the Spurs do have their legions of fans around the country.

During last night's game versus the Clippers, I was forced to listen to their local telecast. To my surprise, they were "quite" complimentary toward the Spurs, their championship pedigree and experience, and their organization.

At one point, they handed the conducted a courtside interview with former "Laverne and Shirley" star, Penny Marshall - herself a big Clippers fan. She exhorted her support for the Spurs. In fact, she indicated she's "always been a fan of the Spurs" because of the way they play, the type of guys on the team. She went on to say that she is even friends with several of the payers, including Pop. Go figure that one!

i thought penny marshall was a lakers fan

dmac
03-29-2006, 01:46 PM
i thought penny marshall was a lakers fan
I think she changed her alligence. Like may LA fans I suspect.

missmyzte
03-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Penny Marshall is a basketball fan. She likes the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Spurs, she follows a bunch of teams.

bigfish22
03-30-2006, 03:23 AM
I've been a Spurs fan since D-Rob came into the league. See my dad is retired NAVY now, but active duty at the time. Since the Navy had given so much to my family, I figured why not pay it back. And even though my dad is a die hard Laker fan, like my mom and all my brothers who were talkin so much trash when we got swept, I never gave up on my squad. Everyone who knows me knows I'm no bandwagon Spurs fan. I've been to 7 or so Spurs games at the Forum and Staples (2 this month, and one more tomorrow). Always reppin San Antonio, in the midst of all these Faker fans!!!

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2006, 03:36 AM
i've been a spurs fan since 97 (the year they went 20-62, go figure) grew up as a major robinson fan especially, but had a really hard time finding other people in my town at the time (atlanta) who appreciated the spurs. up here in toronto a TON of people seem to really like ginobili. at the spurs-raptors game i went to, i was very impressed with the rousing response ginobili got from the home crowd.........especially the girls! :oops

baseline bum
03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Honestly, I was disgusted the first time I went to Staples in 2000 and saw so many Spurs fans. I hate bandwagoners. I know they aren't from SA, they didn't experience the heartbreak of '95, or the years of rebuilding in the late 80s, or the nightmare of 96-97. I hate most LA Spurs fans more than LA Lakers fans. It's nice that I've met a few true diehards out here, but have no respect for the bangwagoners.

LakerHater0823
03-30-2006, 09:17 AM
The only thing worse than a bandwagon LA Spurs fan is a bandwagon SA Spurs fan. HAHA

I was just kidding by the way

Solid D
03-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Penny Marshall likes basketball. I remember she was interviewed after the game in NJ during the Nets-Spurs Finals in '03. She also recorded a message for David Robinson for his jersey retirement ceremony that she was going to miss his muscular arms, or something to that effect.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Penny Marshall is a basketball fan. She likes the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Spurs, she follows a bunch of teams.

you know what, i remember when she watched the spurs play at the ATT Center during last years playoff run.

doldrums
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM

At one point, they handed the conducted a courtside interview with former "Laverne and Shirley" star, Penny Marshall - herself a big Clippers fan. She exhorted her support for the Spurs. In fact, she indicated she's "always been a fan of the Spurs" because of the way they play, the type of guys on the team. She went on to say that she is even friends with several of the payers, including Pop. Go figure that one!

The Clippers announcers are some of the least homerish. Clippers sportscaster Mike Smith played a season in Argentina so is very familiar with Manu and Oberto. Plus him and his sidekick are well prepared and their observations about the players are very current rather than other announcers who bring up stories about the Spurs players which are more than a month old and no longer relevant.

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
news dont travel fast around these areas down under......:D

BigVee
03-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Honestly, I was disgusted the first time I went to Staples in 2000 and saw so many Spurs fans. I hate bandwagoners. I know they aren't from SA, they didn't experience the heartbreak of '95, or the years of rebuilding in the late 80s, or the nightmare of 96-97. I hate most LA Spurs fans more than LA Lakers fans. It's nice that I've met a few true diehards out here, but have no respect for the bangwagoners.

As an LA based Spurs fan, I find your comments insulting. So, take your arrogant opinions and presuppostions about what somewhat else feels and shove them up your ass.

SenorSpur
03-30-2006, 01:51 PM
The Clippers announcers are some of the least homerish. Clippers sportscaster Mike Smith played a season in Argentina so is very familiar with Manu and Oberto. Plus him and his sidekick are well prepared and their observations about the players are very current rather than other announcers who bring up stories about the Spurs players which are more than a month old and no longer relevant.

That's for sure. For those simple reasons, I found the Clippers broadcast tandem a joy to listen to.

BigVee
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
As opposed to tonight. Joel Myers is horrible.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
As an LA based Spurs fan, I find your comments insulting. So, take your arrogant opinions and presuppostions about what somewhat else feels and shove them up your ass.

i agree, what a dick. how do u know if there bandwagoners? what if one of them is actually from SA and is in LA for a career or school? not all are bandwagoners, plus you gotta have respect for fellow spurs fans and welcome them into spurs nation...

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
and to add to that, its almost like saying you hate seeing spurs fans in say, Germany, because those germans werent fans since the spurs were in SA and didnt experience the heartbreak of '95, 96-97, etc., etc. They love basketball and figured the Spurs are the best in the game and figured to jump on the "bandwagon"

Please_dont_ban_me
03-30-2006, 03:26 PM
Bandwagon fans.

What else should people admire, failure?

Of course when you do something right people will emulate/admire it. Happens in business, happens in school, happens in sports. The word "bandwagon" is overused.

Brutalis
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Bandwagon fans.

^^^^^^^

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 11:45 PM
What else should people admire, failure?

Of course when you do something right people will emulate/admire it. Happens in business, happens in school, happens in sports. The word "bandwagon" is overused.

I think the point Jim was trying to make is that if you are a fan of a team, you stick with that team no matter what. I have been through the dark days as a Spurs fan and my loyalty never waned.

Melmart1
03-31-2006, 12:13 AM
I used to live in Seattle and Virginia. If I had gone to a Sonics or Wizards game vs. the Spurs, would you assume I was a bandwagonner? I have been following the Spurs since I was 12 yrs old, so watch how you answer that question.

Also, I like the Philly announcers, they are not bad. I remember the first game i saw on Comcast vs. the Spurs, the player of the game was "Anthony Parker" :lol But even when the 76ers lose (as was the case this night), they often seem to give the player of the game to a 76er, but the announcer said something to the point that Parker was too good not to give it to, or something like that. I think this was like in December, so I don't recall exactly. But they gave plenty of props to the Spurs.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-31-2006, 02:39 PM
I think the point Jim was trying to make is that if you are a fan of a team, you stick with that team no matter what. I have been through the dark days as a Spurs fan and my loyalty never waned.

And I think the overall point is that people who have "jumped on bandwagon" after the Spurs started winning...shouldn't be harrassed about it.

But people who were spurs fans, then stopped rooting when they started to lose should be poked with erections.

baseline bum
03-31-2006, 04:30 PM
I saw a lot more Spurs fans here in LA in 1999-00 than I did in 2001 after we got our asses swept. Fuck anyone who follows the team and acts like a true fan only when they're on top.

Please_dont_ban_me
03-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Man, LA people aren't even true LAKER fans. What do you expect, them to be true spurs fans? Pfft.

spursfaninla
03-31-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm from SA, moved to LA a while back.

I have nothing to do with the Lakers, been a fan of the Spurs since HS, 1990.

Its a pretty fun time to be a Spurs fan, I rib the students in my class about beating the hell out of the clippers and the Lakers all the time. We should appreciate it and enjoy it while we can.