PDA

View Full Version : Presti: An International Update

Solid D
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/presti_060327.html

An International Update
by Sam Presti, Spurs Assistant G.M.
March 28, 2006
As our offices embark on "pounding the rock" each morning, our staff reviews numerous forms of information: scouting reports, injury updates, statistics, maybe the weather in Budapest if we are about to make a trip overseas...but something else we track on a daily basis is the progress and development of a few parts of the Spurs family that reside across the pond...

As many know, our team holds the Draft Rights to five international players ranging in age from 19 to 26. These players are an extension of our organization in many ways yet they all have burgeoning professional careers in various leagues throughout Europe.

I wanted to use the time and space for this segment to update everyone on three of our players overseas, and to give everyone a brief at look what they are up to. (On a side-note, Manu, Tony, and Rasho are great resources for information and insight on international players as they continue to follow European basketball very closely...not bad to have guys like that around the office I suppose.)

As previously mentioned, we look at our players over in Europe as part of our family and we have a keen interest in helping them develop both as players and people through our player development programs...

It should be noted that although we have drafted these players and maintain their NBA Rights indefinitely, they are under contract with their European teams. We have a great deal of respect for International basketball and as a result, work hard to establish relationships with these teams in an effort to work in unison toward the development of the players that we have a shared in interest in.

With this said, let's look a bit closer at Luis Scola, Robertas Javtokas, and Ian Mahinmi. Look for our other two players from this group, Viktor Sanikidze and Sergei Karaulov, to be with us in Utah this summer for the Rocky Mountain Revue Summer League.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/scola_65.jpg
Luis Scola

Height:
6-9
Weight:
Position:
Forward Birthdate:
4/30/80
Birthplace:
Buenos Aires, Argentina Current team:
Tau Ceramica (Spain)
SELECTED BY THE SPURS IN THE SECOND ROUND OF THE 2002 NBA DRAFT, 56TH OVERALL PICK
More Photos

Luis Scola
Luis currently lives in Vitoria, Spain where he plays for Tau Ceramica. Luis is an integral member of the Argentina National Team, and played with Manu and Fabricio to capture the Gold Medal in the 2004 Olympics. We are proud to say that he has just recently become a father...

As with all of his fellow countrymen, Luis is a spectacular competitor and plays the game with a passion that is rare. Having come to Spain from Argentina as a teenager, he has grown up in the Spanish pro leagues and developed into one of the winningest players in the International game. Luis' play at the four position and his accomplishments in international competition have earned him a tremendous amount of recognition in European and NBA circles.

Luis is averaging 15.2 points and 6.5 rebounds in Euroleague play this season.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/javtokas_65.jpg
Robertas Javtokas

Height:
6-10
Weight:
Position:
Forward Birthdate:
3/20/80
Birthplace:
Siauliai, Lithuania Current team:
Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)
SELECTED BY THE SPURS IN THE SECOND ROUND OF THE 2001 NBA DRAFT, 56TH OVERALL PICK
More Photos

Robertas Javtokas
We drafted Robertas in June of 2001. He suffered various injuries stemming from a traffic accident shortly after his selection but has regained his form in staggering fashion. His demonstration of perseverance and work ethic through the rehabilitation process has been admirable and our organization is extraordinarily happy for him and his family. Our medical staff here in San Antonio deserves a lot of recognition for their management and contributions toward Robertas' recovery.

Robertas continues to play for up and coming European power Lietuvos Rytas in his native Lithuania. Handling the coaching duties for Lietuvos this season is Neven Spahija, a close friend of the Spurs family and someone that surely has assisted in Robertas' continuing development.

Robertas is currently averaging 9.7 points, 8.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game in Lietuvos' first ever Euroleague campaign.

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/mahinmi_65.jpg
Ian Mahinmi

Height:
6-10
Weight:
Position:
Forward Birthdate:
11/5/86
Birthplace:
Rouen, France Current team:
Le Havre (France)
SELECTED BY THE SPURS IN THE FIRST ROUND OF THE 2005 NBA DRAFT, 28TH OVERALL PICK
More Photos

Ian Mahinmi
Ian turned 19 last November and checks in as the youngest member of our overseas contingent. At close to 6-11, Ian has enjoyed a solid developmental year with Le Havre of the French Pro A league. He has made great strides this year in all statistical categories, but our focus with Ian rests entirely on building habits and not on his game-by-game production. He is working with great diligence on all aspects of his program, nutrition, mental preparation, film study and weight training. Ian understands how much work lies ahead of him and has accepted the challenge to work step by step to meet his goals.

Ian is part of a budding future for the French National team, which includes our own Tony Parker, Phoenix's Boris Diaw, Golden State's Mickael Pietrus, Seattle's Johan Petro and Mickael Gelebale, and the Lakers' Ronny Turiaf. Understanding how progressive the French National Team is, and knowing their vision for the future begins with chemistry and youth, this group will become very familiar at International basketball events in the future.

This season Ian is averaging 10.1 points and 5.4 rebounds in 20 minutes of action with Le Havre.

Kori Ellis
03-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Look for our other two players from this group, Viktor Sanikidze and Sergei Karaulov, to be with us in Utah this summer for the Rocky Mountain Revue Summer League.

That's cool. I didn't know Karaulov was still worth looking at.

101A
03-29-2006, 04:36 PM
I believe a couple of those pictures are misplaced....

Solid D
03-29-2006, 04:37 PM
If you look at the link, Kori, it has Sam's email. :) (at least an e-mail form linked to it)

timvp
03-29-2006, 04:38 PM
Ian turned 19 last November and checks in as the youngest member of our overseas contingent. At close to 6-11

Nice.

:smokin

cheguevara
03-29-2006, 04:42 PM
either of those 3 featured would be awesome for next season. But out of those Scola is a proven winner and champion. I really hope we can play him soon

timvp
03-29-2006, 04:42 PM
I wonder how good Sanikidze is. After that draft, the Spurs were said to be most excited about getting him. And that draft included Beno Udrih, who has played quite well for a late first round pick.

boutons_
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
"6-11"

As Sean Elliot loves to repeat, "you don't rebound with the top of your head", esp talking about Elton Brand and his long arms. Or Rasho and his kinda short arms.

What is the vertical reach?

Sec24Row7
03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
From what I have seen... the kid is freakishly long with big hands.

Phenomanul
03-29-2006, 05:27 PM
From what I have seen... the kid is freakishly long with big hands.

That's what I've heard as well... and seen in small video clips...

Sec24Row7
03-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Think Samuel Dalumber eating crepes.

Solid D
03-29-2006, 05:48 PM
Sanikidze has good length for a wing. I wonder if his game has returned since his injury.

ploto
03-29-2006, 05:48 PM
I think Viktor has spent pretty much the whole season here-- how bad was his injury??

(OK- this is getting scary- Solid D)

Mark in Austin
03-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Nice.

:smokin

yeah... it actually makes me a little moist to think about pairing Ian alongside Duncan if he continues to progress. If he can get a good handle on the Spurs' defensive system, with his athleticism and growing strength it would be similar to paring Duncan with a pre-injury David Robinson. (simmah down Robinson homers, I'm talking mobility and defensive potential, not overall skill or player value.)

It sure would be nice to have a player who could potentially match up well defensively against Amare. (assuming Amare eventually recovers)

Has anybody seen if Ian's showing a bit of a nasty streak these days?

yeahone
03-30-2006, 12:25 AM
good

mattyc
03-30-2006, 03:08 AM
Great updates there. Particularly excited about Sanikidze.

Solid D
03-30-2006, 12:13 PM
As our offices embark on "pounding the rock" each morning, our staff reviews numerous forms of information: scouting reports, injury updates, statistics, maybe the weather in Budapest if we are about to make a trip overseas...

Pres. Rod Thorn: "Hungary? Why aren't we there, Ed?????"
GM, Ed Stefanski: "I'm on it!"

velik_m
03-30-2006, 12:17 PM

i was thinking the same thing... hungary?

MoSpur
03-30-2006, 12:54 PM
I am excited about all the players mentioned. The Spurs need to have Sam Presti above everyone else on payroll.

Das Texan
03-30-2006, 01:01 PM
great read there.

hopefully Sanikidze and Karaulov turn out to be something useful.

hoping to see Robertos here next year, that would be damn sweet.

WalterBenitez
03-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Since SAS is becoming old, when we will get those kids!?

wildbill2u
03-30-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah... it actually makes me a little moist to think about pairing Ian alongside Duncan if he continues to progress. If he can get a good handle on the Spurs' defensive system, with his athleticism and growing strength it would be similar to paring Duncan with a pre-injury David Robinson. (simmah down Robinson homers, I'm talking mobility and defensive potential, not overall skill or player value.)

It sure would be nice to have a player who could potentially match up well defensively against Amare. (assuming Amare eventually recovers)

Has anybody seen if Ian's showing a bit of a nasty streak these days?

Didn't another player from Africa start out playing soccer goalie like Ian? He turned out pretty good for the Rockets? Hakeem Olajuwan.

MoSpur
03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Didn't another player from Africa start out playing soccer goalie like Ian? He turned out pretty good for the Rockets? Hakeem Olajuwan.

I think Ian played or plays volleyball.

Gino2882
03-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I think Ian played or plays volleyball.

I think that was just a rumor...

timvp
03-30-2006, 05:12 PM

:lol

Thorn's goal in life is to make it hard for the Spurs to become a dynasty.

timvp
03-30-2006, 05:14 PM
I think that was just a rumor...

Correct. Mahinmi has never touched a volleyball.