PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed something here?

IceColdBrewski
03-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I don't pay much attention to the NFL in the offseason, but I haven't seen or heard anything from Parcells about the TO signing. Not even a simple "prepared statement". Has he said anything about it? I also noticed that Parcells was strangely absent during the press conference after the signing. Which is normal for the average free agent signing, but not a top tier playmaker like Owens. What's the deal Cowboy fan?

RealEstateDude
03-30-2006, 04:05 AM
He's still drinking and hoping it's a bad dream...

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
The "official" stance is that Parcells doesn't show up for any off season press conferences like this. Which may or may not be true because I remember him not being there for last off-seasons acquistions either. Personally, if I am the head coach and my team signs a player, I would be there. Supposedly this is something the Tuna has always done. Ordinarily I would not have a problem with that but I would think with as high profile of a signing as this was and all the talk around it...I would have been there just to avoid speculation.

greywheel
03-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Doesn't Parcells spend the whole offseason in Hawaii?
Does it make since to take two 8 hours plane rides for a 30 minutes press conference? Bill has always been quiet during the offseason. I am not sure if he has done any phone interviews. But the concensus in the Dallas media is the deal would not have been done without his blessing.

IceColdBrewski
03-31-2006, 12:23 AM
Doesn't Parcells spend the whole offseason in Hawaii?
Does it make since to take two 8 hours plane rides for a 30 minutes press conference? Bill has always been quiet during the offseason. I am not sure if he has done any phone interviews. But the concensus in the Dallas media is the deal would not have been done without his blessing.

Opinions of the Dallas media notwithstanding, I have yet to see anything from Parcells regarding Owens. Not even a prepared statement. You don't have to leave Hawaii to give the media a statement.

The tuna is making a big mistake if you ask me. The longer he goes without making some sort of public statement endorsing Owens is just more time for other members of the team to wonder why he hasn't said anything.

Guru of Nothing
03-31-2006, 12:37 AM
The tuna is making a big mistake if you ask me. The longer he goes without making some sort of public statement endorsing Owens is just more time for other members of the team to wonder why he hasn't said anything.

It never occured to me that Parcells spoke to the team through the press, for all of us to see.

IceColdBrewski
03-31-2006, 01:12 AM
It never occured to me that Parcells spoke to the team through the press, for all of us to see.

You're missing the point.

I'm not saying he should be speaking to the team through the media. I'm saying that he should've at least realeased a statement edorsing the Owens signing by now if he were on board the TO bandwagon.

Understand?

Guru of Nothing
03-31-2006, 01:32 AM
The longer he goes without making some sort of public statement endorsing Owens is just more time for other members of the team to wonder why he hasn't said anything.

You're missing the point.

I'm not saying he should be speaking to the team through the media. I'm saying that he should've at least realeased a statement edorsing the Owens signing by now if he were on board the TO bandwagon.

Whatever you say.

Melmart1
03-31-2006, 01:51 AM
I have heard of making a mountain out of a molehill. But I have yet to see someone INVENT a mountain from said molehill until just now. Good job!

IceColdBrewski
03-31-2006, 01:58 AM
Whatever you say.

:rolleyes

The intentions of this thread obviously went way over your head. Bottom line. If you can give me a reason as to why Parcells hasn't spoken publicly about the Owens signing, I'm all ears. If not, stop wasting my time.

IceColdBrewski
03-31-2006, 02:06 AM
I have heard of making a mountain out of a molehill. But I have yet to see someone INVENT a mountain from said molehill until just now. Good job!

A little tidbit I stumbled across after minimal searching.

Cowboys | Sources say Parcells did not want Owens
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:43:13 -0800

Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells was not in agreement with owner Jerry Jones about signing WR Terrell Owens, according to sources. Parcells was absent from the annual NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday, March 29, at the NFL spring meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Mountain or molehill? I'll let you decide.

Melmart1
03-31-2006, 02:23 AM
Sources also say that Eagles fans are just bitter. Being in South Jersey just 45 minutes away, I have to agree.

I guess that would make me a 'source'. See how that works?

samikeyp
03-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports Dallas Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells was not in agreement with owner Jerry Jones about signing WR Terrell Owens, according to sources. Parcells was absent from the annual NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday, March 29, at the NFL spring meetings in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

King
03-31-2006, 11:26 AM
According to Stephen Jones in an interview with Norm Hitzges, Bill was on board with it...

Norm - The obvious point man here, Stephen, is Bill. He's the one who will have to deal with the incredible talent of T.O. and the exhibited behavior of T.O. at various stops in the past. Did Bill have to be talked into Owens?

Jones - No, no he did not.

And Bill doesn't go to any of the press conferences. Not for TO, Keyshawn, Bledsoe, etc. People will read stuff into it, but this is just how he operates. If Bill wasn't on board, regardless of whether he had to be talked into it, TO wouldn't be here.

Hook Dem
03-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Could it be that Bill is just trying to stop the media circus? Hmmmm!

Obstructed_View
04-04-2006, 09:33 AM
The message from Bill Parcells is "TO is just another player." Parcells isn't going to be bullied by anybody. He isn't going to show up for a press conference for a player. Period. It sends a great message to TO that he doesn't get special treatment. TO had better show up in shape, with his mouth shut, and ready to be part of a team.

Horry For 3!
04-04-2006, 10:19 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/04/03/mmqb.owens/index.html

Living in harmony

Silent Parcells tacitly approves Owens signing

By Peter King, SI

I'm writing about Terrell Owens again. Many of you, I'm sure, will quickly click to my next page or -- and this may serve me right --just click away from this column entirely. I understand. You want the media to stop the madness, stop writing about T.O. until he does something that merits our attention.

Before I make my main point, let me hand out my one T.O. Opinion of the Week. Owens is "writing'' his second autobiography in as many years. Simon & Shuster is publishing it. Reputable firm -- until this agreement, that is. What S & S should do is hand out a coupon with each book for a free session with a neurologist, because you need to have your head examined if you pay for a second book by Owens to read whatever self-serving things he has to say.

Now for the reason that I'm writing about him again. There's a perception out there that the signing of Owens was all the doing of Dallas owner Jerry Jones, and that coach Bill Parcells, conspicuously silent in the 16 days since Owens became a Cowboy, doesn't like the deal. The line of thinking goes that Parcells has been saying for years that he was too old to take the kind of guff he'd have to take from a guy like Owens, so he wouldn't have favored the signing.

I'm told, reliably, that Parcells was given a chance to put the kibosh on the signing on two occasions -- once by Jones and once by his son, Dallas chief operating officer Stephen Jones -- and both times he refused. Jerry Jones told me about one of the occasions at last week's NFL owners' meetings.

"Bill not being in favor of the deal, nothing can be further from the truth,'' Jones said in his suite. "In fact, just before we signed Terrell, the same day we signed him, I called Bill just to alert him and to be sure we were all ok with this. I said, 'Now, I'm about to hit it [sign him], and if you don't want me to hit it, tell me now.' He said, 'No, no, go ahead. I'm with you.'''

Parcells genuinely likes Jones. He thinks he's trying to help the team. Sometimes I think his regard for Jones surprises even Parcells, who has never been a fan of intrusive owners. But he likes Jones because the owner puts his blood and sweat into the franchise, he's around all the time and he won't do anything football-wise that Parcells does not favor.

I can tell you this: Theirs is the kind of relationship that would preclude Jones from forcing a player on Parcells that Parcells would not want. Even though Dallas had to get rid of Keyshawn Johnson, in essence, to make room for Owens, and Parcells is a Keyshawn backer, that doesn't mean the coach was against the Johnson whacking and acquisition of Owens. Parcells is a bottom-liner. If Owens is going to be a better player for the team than Johnson and the team can survive the T.O. tornado, get him in here.

Parcells will be 65 on opening day. This could well be his last year coaching. If he doesn't come back in 2007, it's conceivable that Jones could give him the kind of golden parachute -- somewhere in the range of $5 million -- that he could take into semi-retirement in, say, Saratoga Springs, N.Y. -- the same kind of gold watch Jones gave former Dallas coach Jimmy Johnson when they got their ugly divorce 12 years ago. Parcells understands his role in this: Tame the wild Owens for at least one year and get the most out of him. In my mind, there's no doubt Parcells thinks he can do this. And it's likely Owens won't be that hard to deal with in his first year anyway.

I won't call this a match made in heaven. But I will call it the missing piece Dallas desperately needs to be a serious Super Bowl contender in 2006. Jones knows it and I think Parcells knows it. He might be irascible and surly when he gets around to meeting the press about Owens, but get this straight: He signed off on it.

Thurmasaurus
04-05-2006, 06:54 AM
I think owens will be a great addition to the cowboys. We needed some real speed to our recievers. Terry Glenn had some speed, but not as much as T.O. Before T.O we just had recievers who knew what they were doing and did it well. But most CBs could keep up with Glenn and Johnson. They will have a harder time with Owens. But that is just my opinion.

samikeyp
04-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Assuming Glenn can stay healthy...yes.

Horry For 3!
04-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Assuming Glenn can stay healthy...yes.
He was healthy all last year.