PDA

View Full Version : Spurs' guards pile up injuries

loveforthegame
03-30-2006, 01:11 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA033006.1C.BKNspurs.injuries.14965b3.html

Spurs' guards pile up injuries

Web Posted: 03/30/2006 12:00 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Tony Parker put his right leg to the test Wednesday afternoon. If the number of kick saves he made is any indication, the Spurs' point guard is either going to play tonight or pursue a career in England's Premier League.

With coach Gregg Popovich turning the team loose on a high-school soccer field, Parker spent much of his time in goal, deflecting penalty kicks from 7-foot striker Rasho Nesterovic. Although he wore a rubber sleeve over his bruised right shin, Parker showed no hesitation in using the leg to make saves.

Parker said he was still pretty sore but thinks he will be able to play against the Los Angeles Lakers.

"I just have to get (the leg) warm," Parker said. "That's why I try to do soccer — run a little bit, try to get some movement in there. I think I'll be fine."

Parker's possible return could coincide with the departure of backup Beno Udrih.

Udrih started for Parker in Tuesday's 98-87 victory over the Clippers but played only 12 minutes after spraining his left ankle. Popovich doesn't think he'll play tonight.

With Parker and Udrih hobbled, Nick Van Exel, surprisingly enough, ended Tuesday as the team's healthiest point guard.

Van Exel has been bothered by bone chips in his left elbow, and Popovich had hoped to continue to rest him until closer to the playoffs. But with Parker out, Van Exel pleaded with Popovich before Tuesday's game to play.

"I was pretty much begging," Van Exel said. "He said his final decision was no. I just said, 'Pop, just give me 10 minutes.'

"He put his head down and said, 'All right.' But it took me about 15 minutes to get him to say yes."

Van Exel, who had missed the previous nine games, missed his first four shots and threw a pass into the scorer's table. He made a 3-pointer with seven-tenths of a second left in the opening half and finished with five points and two assists in 15 minutes.

"They have been running the crap out of me, so conditioning-wise I feel great," Van Exel said. "My elbow, it is what it is. There were a couple of times when I felt it, but it's going to bother me when I come back anyway."

Van Exel, who has received three cortisone shots in his elbow since Dec. 30, thinks only offseason surgery would provide significant relief. Until then ...

"I think I might as well play him now and find out if we're going to have him come playoff time," Popovich said. "I'm going to play him to the point where it's going to be healthy or it's not. We're going to find out."

Van Exel's teammates, aware of his frustration, were glad to see him on the floor Tuesday.

"I think he was the most excited one to be out there and not have to be running with (strength coach Mike Brungardt)," Tim Duncan said. "As long as he stays healthy he's going to be a big part of what we do. With his mentality, being through the playoffs a bunch in his career, once he gets his rhythm back, he's going to be important for us."

How many minutes Van Exel plays tonight will be determined not only by how he feels but also by the health of Parker and Udrih.

Parker, who was kicked in the shin Sunday by Seattle's Robert Swift, watched the Spurs distribute a season-high 32 assists on 36 baskets against the Clippers. Manu Ginobili helped initiate the offense and penetrated to create for teammates.

"He was the main guy, but the others were good, too," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "They move the ball well, they have good spacing and they set good screens. When you help (defensively), they pass. They put you further behind the play and, ultimately, they're going to get a good look."

To enjoy Wednesday's sunny weather, Popovich took the Spurs outside to script plays. Afterward, Parker and the rest of the international players honed their soccer skills.

Parker was particularly inspired after watching friend and countryman Thierry Henry help Arsenal to a 2-0 victory over Juventus in the Champions League quarterfinals Tuesday.

"I think the soccer thing kind of helped cure him a little bit," Popovich said. "But he said he's still sore, so we'll see."

1Parker1
03-30-2006, 10:15 AM
:lol That's cute, Spurs playing soccer. If I recall Pop took the to the soccer field this time last year also.

smeagol
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
:lol That's cute, Spurs playing soccer. If I recall Pop took the to the soccer field this time last year also.
Soccer rules!

ChumpDumper
03-30-2006, 02:43 PM
:lol That's cute, Spurs playing soccer. If I recall Pop took the to the soccer field this time last year also.Was there an outdoor wine tasting?

SilverPlayer
03-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I want Nazr to learn to play goalie for a while, to increase his handle on balls flying at him, then again maybe hokey would be even better.

slayermin
03-30-2006, 05:35 PM
TP plays basketball kinda like Henry plays soccer.

I would say Manu is more like a Denis Bergkamp or that Inzaghi dude in Italy.