PDA

View Full Version : Phil Jackson fires another verbal volley at Spurs

Jimcs50
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Lest the Lakers forget who tonight's opponent is, Laker Coach Phil Jackson stoked the fire a bit by referring to San Antonio forward Bruce Bowen as "Edward Scissorhands."
Bowen, one of the better and more active defenders in the league, will again cover Kobe Bryant. Bowen was fined $10,000 for kicking Seattle guard Ray Allen in the back during the Spurs' 106-102 loss Sunday.

"Bowen's hands and feet are always moving," Jackson said. "Lot of things going on out there."

Bryant has averaged 32.3 points and only 39.4% shooting in three games against the Spurs this season.

Mindful of the Lakers' four-game winning streak at Staples Center, Jackson also expressed hope they would continue to establish home-court success by playing a "macho kind of game" against the Spurs.

Jimcs50
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Lakers, Spurs renew rivalry
By Ross Siler Staff Writer

EL SEGUNDO - It was the rivalry that gave Phil Jackson the chance to deride San Antonio as the land of "conventioneers and tourists" and Shaquille O'Neal the chance to declare, "One lucky shot deserves another" after Derek Fisher's miracle turnaround.
It also was the rivalry that seemingly came to an end after the Lakers rallied from a two-game deficit to beat the Spurs in the 2004 Western Conference semifinals, only to part ways with Jackson and trade O'Neal after the season.

"I felt like the Soviet Union just disbanded," San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said back in July 2004.

The two teams met four times in the playoffs during Jackson's first five years as Lakers coach and have won six of the last seven NBA championships.

But they likely will find themselves on opposite sides of the playoff bracket this season.

Unless the Lakers slip to eighth in the standings, the teams would meet only if both advanced to the Western Conference finals. Not that Jackson was willing to rule out the possibility at practice Wednesday.

"If we play well enough and survive,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we'll see them some place," Jackson said.

If not, then tonight's game will be as close to a playoff game as the Spurs and Lakers will get. They have met twice already this month, and Jackson would like to see his team find the resolve to win at Staples Center in a way they haven't always this season.

"What this young team has to learn," Jackson said, "is how to develop their own homecourt, macho kind of game where they're really carrying the game to teams."

The Lakers also have a chance to extend their winning streak to a season-high five games and better their home record to 21-13.

[email protected]

CubanMustGo
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Good ol' Phil. Actually I think that is about as close as he has ever come to complementing a Spurs player.

SpursWoman
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Good ol' Phil. Actually I think that is about as close as he has ever come to complementing a Spurs player.

Yeah ... I didn't see that as a slur. His constant moving is what makes him such a good defender...

:wtf

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
So he's accusing Bowen of killing Anthony Michael Hall and breaking Wynona Ryder's heart? Or is Bruce cranking out some sweet ass topiaries now?

LakerHater0823
03-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Phil!! :flipoff

pache100
03-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Laker Coach Phil Jackson stoked the fire a bit by referring to San Antonio forward Bruce Bowen as "Edward Scissorhands."

"Bowen's hands and feet are always moving," Jackson said. "Lot of things going on out there."

Excellent! Good job, Brucie! You have Phil scared so shitless he has to run you down to the media like the classless moron that he is.

Bryant has averaged 32.3 points and only 39.4% shooting in three games against the Spurs this season.

See?!?! Bruce for President!

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Phil Jackson Gtfo!

Solid D
03-30-2006, 10:20 AM
The Lakers tried to take away the inside game in LA the last time. It didn't work because the Spurs shot very well from the outside. I expect the Lakers to defend the arc much better than the Clippers did (Lakers rank 6th in Opp. 3-pt. %).

The Lakers used a different offensive strategy in San Antonio when they won on a 2nd game of a b2b and at the end of a tough travel and game schedule. The Lakers lifted 4, ran the weave and lots of cuts out of that to the basket. It opened up the middle and ran the tired Spurs into being just plain lazy on help defense.

I also expect no love from the refs for Bruce after his $10K fine.

Phenomanul
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
The Lakers tried to take away the inside game in LA the last time. It didn't work because the Spurs shot very well from the outside. I expect the Lakers to defend the arc much better than the Clippers did (Lakers rank 6th in Opp. 3-pt. %).

The Lakers used a different offensive strategy in San Antonio when they won on a 2nd game of a b2b and at the end of a tough travel and game schedule. The Lakers lifted 4, ran the weave and lots of cuts out of that to the basket. It opened up the middle and ran the tired Spurs into being just plain lazy on help defense.

Not having Mihm will hurt them against our bigs.

CubanMustGo
03-30-2006, 11:28 AM

Considering how SA gets less love from the refs than any other serious contender, it wouldn't surprise if you're right ... but then again, Bruce owned up to being wrong and accepted his fine. You would hope that refs who want to hold something against him would also give some credit for that.

Ha!

kskonn
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I actually thought he meant that bruces tactics are often mis understood and he is labeled with titles such as "dirty" . People are just not used to someone who works so hard and uses their entire body to play defense. Just like poor scissorhand, so misunderstood.

50 cent
03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
"If we play well enough and survive, we'll see them some place," Jackson said.

That sounds like Phyllis complemented the Spurs.

:smokin

CosmicCowboy
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
http://www.aleruscenter.com/walloffame/larrycableguy4.jpg

Edward Scissorhands? Hehehe....now that there is funny, I don't care who you are...

TDMVPDPOY
03-30-2006, 11:37 AM
lets hope one of the spurs player throws the ball out of bounds in the direction of phil jackson, and BB goes after the ball with his foot out :D:D at least he has a reason that he was goin after the ball.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 11:52 AM
philly jackson is a genious

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Bowen's hands and feet are always moving

yes...its called playing defense!

SequSpur
03-30-2006, 12:37 PM
So where is the verbal volley?

leemajors
03-30-2006, 12:42 PM
sounds like he lobbed something else.

Solid D
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/160/16056.jpg

Amuseddaysleeper
03-30-2006, 12:50 PM
yeah i'm confused, i dont see where the insult was in that edward scissorhands statement.

DDS4
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Bark is worse than the bite.

Phil knows what's up.

Rummpd
03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
The real PJ crying will be after the game.

Medvedenko
03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Phil speaks the truth....Bruce is an all body defender, hence labelled as a dirty player. He plays tough defense and sometimes players get hurt. Who cares, more players should use their body more when playing D. Too many teams let players go off for crazy points, where all you need one player to step up and put a hard foul on someone. I like that kind of ball. There are too many friends in the L.

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 02:38 PM
well said Med.

Are you ok? I worried about you when Slava was cut. :)

Medvedenko
03-30-2006, 02:55 PM
I'm ok...thanks for asking...maybe I can change my name to Ronny Turiaf.....j/k, he does crack me up though with his crazy dances....

missmyzte
03-30-2006, 03:01 PM
^^^ That would be a good choice, gotta love Ronny!

But about the comment on Bruce, I agree that it should be taken as a compliment. An insult would have been calling him Rip van Winkle on D.

T-Pain
03-30-2006, 03:20 PM
hey i like the "verbal volley" part. pretty catchy

pache100
03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
The real PJ crying will be after the game.

http://i2.tinypic.com/smsuw9.gif

Tek_XX
03-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Who cares what Phillip says, he no longer has players to back up his statements

samikeyp
03-30-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm ok...thanks for asking...maybe I can change my name to Ronny Turiaf.....j/k, he does crack me up though with his crazy dances....

Misti would like that! :)

GO SPurs Go
03-30-2006, 04:22 PM
I actually thought he meant that bruces tactics are often mis understood and he is labeled with titles such as "dirty" . People are just not used to someone who works so hard and uses their entire body to play defense. Just like poor scissorhand, so misunderstood.
Go fuck yourself and stfu! Bowen did screw up and he did kick Allen so consider all yourselves lucky that he only had to pay $10,000. However to me his reputation as a good defender is almost gone. I hope this is a one time incident, after all I don't want to be a fan of a team with players that kick others.

Sportcamper
03-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Who cares about Bowen... that guy is about as good a shot as Dick Cheney....

spurs_fan_in_exile
03-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Cheney has lead the league in 3 pt%? Wow.

Sportcamper
03-30-2006, 05:38 PM
Fear Bowen's 3.1 PPG.... :lol

Rynospursfan
03-30-2006, 05:44 PM
Fear Bowen's 3.1 PPG.... :lol

Bowen scores 7.8 PPG

sanman53
03-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Maybe Phil will write another book and talk about Bruce in it.

Trifecta
03-30-2006, 05:54 PM

I was just thinking the same thing! :lol

Its easy for RT to do his dance while he is sitting that pine!

Look like he's going to have a seizure on the sidelines!

I clearly remember him doing his dance while LA enjoyed their last victory over SA.

RT -- "The man with a thousand moves" !

Waiting for game time! The truth will be told tonight!

Time for RT's dance to be on lockdown tonight!

Sportcamper
03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Smush Parker scores more points & has more rebounds than Bowen...

Rynospursfan
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Smush Parker scores more points & has more rebounds than Bowen...

Stop with the lies man. Smush has 3.3 reb per game while Bowen averages 3.9.

Sportcamper
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Smush (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/smush_parker/index.html)
Bowen (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/bruce_bowen/index.html)

Smush has a much higher efficiency rating...Can we at least agree the Eva Longoria is a “B” actress?

PM5K
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Interesting, so Phil gives Bruce a compliment:

"Bowens hands and feet are always moving"

Thanks Phil, that's kind of you to show some respect for exactly what great defense is, always moving your hands and feet...

Rynospursfan
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM

Smush has a much higher efficiency rating...Can we at least agree the Eva Longoria is a “B” actress?

Eva is a "B" actress, but an "A" piece of ass.

leemajors
03-30-2006, 06:34 PM

bowen is much more valuable to his team, who cares?

PM5K
03-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Eva is a "B" actress, but an "A" piece of ass.

A+

Solid D
03-30-2006, 06:38 PM
SportCamper is obviously just playin'. I don't think Smush has been invited to join Team USA any time lately.

Kobe: "Please. No way. The best defender I've ever played is Bruce Bowen. It's not even close."

leemajors
03-30-2006, 06:39 PM
in other news, the NBA is targeting the mamba tights:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2390599

League and team sources have told ESPN.com that the NBA, starting next season, intends to ban the tights sported at various points this season by several players, including three MVP candidates: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Although NBA officials are not publicly commenting on the issue, sources say that the league simply does not like the look of players wearing visible hose. It's believed that the league office, which already has regulations in place to curtail short lengths, can unilaterally outlaw tights by simply amending its uniform code before the 2006-07 season.

yeahone
03-30-2006, 07:00 PM
well thats another reason to beat the lakers tonight

Solid D
03-30-2006, 07:03 PM
http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/Robin-Hood-Tights-bh03.jpg

"We're men...We're men in tights!"

exstatic
03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Smush Parker is also your third option, where Bowen is numero cinquo for us based on their respective FGA. But then again, that's exactly where I want Laker Fan: with a team so out of it, he has to pick at stats for secondary or tertiary players.

adidas11
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
And Kobe scores the first basket of the game...

Anyhow, I didn't see anywhere in Phil's quotes where he disparaged Bruce Bowen.

Carry on.

TDMVPDPOY
03-31-2006, 02:34 AM
does this guy even coach the team? all he does is sit back and let them play

Kori Ellis
03-31-2006, 03:02 AM
Called a coward earlier in the week by Ray Allen, Bruce Bowen awoke Thursday morning to learn Lakers coach Phil Jackson had given him a different label: Edward Scissorhands.

Jackson, who delivered the nickname when speaking with Los Angeles reporters Wednesday, expanded on his comments about 90 minutes before tipoff.

"The more you move against Bowen, the quicker he reacts and the more chops he gets in," Jackson said. "He'll whack away at you while you're doing that.

"But more than anything else, Bruce plays with his feet a lot. He gets his feet underneath people, and he's tough to get through."

Bryant found that out again in the first half when Bowen stepped in front of him to draw a pair of charges.

Bryant made only 6 of 15 shots in the opening half but still had 16 points. Nick Van Exel reached in and pulled Bryant's arms down on one second-quarter drive, but the Lakers guard powered through the foul and released a high, arching shot that climbed halfway up the shot clock before dropping back through the rim.

Popovich laughed when told Jackson's name for Bowen.

"I think that's very creative and very clever," Popovich said. "I just call him Bruce."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA033106.1D.BKNspurs.lakers.gamer.71d06ef.html

Kori Ellis
03-31-2006, 03:03 AM
The way Jackson explains it, it doesn't seem like he's saying anything bad about Bruce.

polandprzem
03-31-2006, 03:20 AM
"I just call him Bruce"

:lol hahahahahahaha :lol

Now we need TP in full strenght, healthy Beno and Robert. That is it. (Timmy seems to feel better)

MI21
03-31-2006, 06:18 AM
A measure of how much the opposition thinks about Bruce and his tactics is simply the amount of press he gets for a role player.

Dude is a godly defender, and would be superb in any generation.

TDMVPDPOY
03-31-2006, 07:21 AM
the way phil says shit about bruce is by usin intellective words cheap shots at bruce while makin it doesnt sound like offensive to bowens game.

Jimcs50
03-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Bowen May Be a Cut Above
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
March 31, 2006

There was never a sequel to "Edward Scissorhands," but Laker Coach Phil Jackson followed up his own thoughts on Spur forward Bruce Bowen.

A day after referring to Bowen as Edward Scissorhands, Jackson expanded his opinion, probably searching for an edge if the teams meet in the playoffs, assuming the Lakers qualify.

"The more you move against Bowen, the quicker he reacts and the more chops he gets in," Jackson said Thursday. "He'll whack away at you while you're doing that. But more than anything else, Bruce plays with his feet a lot. He gets his feet underneath people and he's tough to get through.

"He's had a license for about four years now. Prior to that, he was a spot player and it was difficult for him to get those kind of calls."

Bowen, for his part, helped hold Kobe Bryant to 23 points on nine-for-26 shooting Thursday.

Jimcs50
03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
And Kobe scores the first basket of the game...

Anyhow, I didn't see anywhere in Phil's quotes where he disparaged Bruce Bowen.

Carry on.

He says he defends with his hands and gets his feet tangled up with opponent...you do not call that disparaging???

pache100
03-31-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't want to be a fan of a team with players that kick others.

We don't want that, either.

pache100
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM
in other news, the NBA is targeting the mamba tights:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2390599

League and team sources have told ESPN.com that the NBA, starting next season, intends to ban the tights sported at various points this season by several players, including three MVP candidates: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

:lol

Yesterday afternoon, the Thompson Brothers were talking about PJ calling Bruce "Edward Scissorhands" and they said they wished he'd go "snip snip" on those little tights of Kobe's!

(just thought the timing was interesting...I don't really have an opinion one way or the other about the tights...but the TBs were hilarious talking about it)

does this guy even coach the team? all he does is sit back and let them play

Right on the money. He hasn't coached since before the last year he was in LA before he took his hiatus. All that year, he just sat on the bench with his arms crossed over his chest, looking like he'd rather be just about anywhere else. Personally, I just don't think he has the interest any longer.

Solid D
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
It's more Phil spin. It is not complementary to Bruce. The word chop, whether used in basketball, hockey, football or in a meat butcher section at the local grocery store conjures up a negative image for future reference. It's a red flag word. Even when he says he moves his feet, he adds the part about getting his feet under players.

Phil-spin.

Sportcamper
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/brian_cook.jpg

Coach Jackson noticed that I was making a considerable amount of baskets with my heels on the 3-point line... He suggested that I take one step back so that my twos would turn into threes... I told him that was odd, but he said that was besides the point...

Sportcamper
03-31-2006, 10:42 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/smush_parker.jpg

I have been traded from team to team because my shots were always going wide right....Coach Phil gave me a try-out and suggested that I part my hair right down the middle of my dome because the problem was on my head, not in it... I tried it & I've been knocking my shots down ever since...Coach Phil is a geometrical genius...

CubanMustGo
03-31-2006, 10:45 AM
Hey, dude, where's your bluster about last night's game? That Bowen really sucks, doesn't he? :lol

Sportcamper
03-31-2006, 11:38 AM
I was watching three hours of sports history in the making...Maria Sharapova (http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060331/capt.flkb31003310328.nasdaq_100_open_tennis_flkb31 0.jpg) vs. Tatiana Golovin (http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060331/capt.flkb31903310508.nasdaq_100_open_tennis_flkb31 9.jpg)...AKA the Thrilla at Key Biscayne...

I didn’t have time for girly sports... :smokin

leemajors
03-31-2006, 11:49 AM
the way phil says shit about bruce is by usin intellective words cheap shots at bruce while makin it doesnt sound like offensive to bowens game.

well, if they are intellective words that's understandishable.