PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Malone mulling future, but he won't be a Spur

Kori Ellis
10-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Malone mulling future, but he won't be a Spur
Web Posted: 10/02/2004 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA100204.4F.BKNspursmalone.dac682c8.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Karl Malone still hasn't decided whether to play this season. But if he does, it won't be with the Spurs.

Malone told Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss he would not play for any team but the Lakers this season — if he plays at all. Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, informed the Spurs of the decision in a phone call Friday afternoon.

Malone, 41, told Buss he was leaning toward not playing, but wanted to keep his options open once his right knee fully recovers.

He had arthroscopic surgery in June and is not expected to be healthy enough to play for at least another month.

Though Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had told Malone he would clear a roster slot for him — even if Malone didn't want to join the team until January — teams officials doubted Malone would accept the offer after his children enrolled in school in the Los Angeles area last month.

"We appreciate Karl's willingness to speak with us and wish him well in his recovery," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. "Should he want to meet with us in the future, we would still be happy to talk to him."

Notebook: Rookie point guard Beno Udrih bruised his knee while playing for Slovenia's national team earlier this month, but did not suffer any ligament or cartilage damage. The Spurs' medical staff did not have a chance to examine Udrih until he arrived in town late this week.

timvp
10-02-2004, 12:21 AM
Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, informed the Spurs of the decision in a phone call Friday afternoon.

Malone ends the summer like the b1tch he is. Instead of picking up the phone and calling Pop or RC, he lets his agent handle the dirty work.

When the going gets tough, Malone folds.

Fact.

grjr
10-02-2004, 03:24 AM
Beno carried off the court with a bruised knee. Is he from Greece? :lol

jr

texbound
10-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Malone ends the summer like the b1tch he is. Instead of picking up the phone and calling Pop or RC, he lets his agent handle the dirty work.

When the going gets tough, Malone folds.

Fact.

That's exactly what I was thinking. What happened to Karl's respect for the Spurs and Pop. He doesn't have the intestinal fortitude to call Pop himself. What a coward of a man. Thank god he's not joining the Spurs.

spurster
10-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Malone is a much better fit for the Lakers. The Spurs just don't have the flair for all the drama he seems to crave.

2pac
10-02-2004, 09:35 AM
If he joined them to win a championship, wouldn't he want to go to a team that could bring him a championship this year? New coach, new team, no Shaq.

ducks
10-02-2004, 09:49 AM
ok guys most players use agents to do their "dirty work"
atleast he told his agent to call them friday so they could move on

mattyc
10-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Alls well that ends well.

Brodels
10-02-2004, 10:05 AM
Good. He would have been a bad fit anyway. I'm glad to see him pass on the Spurs.

Marcus Bryant
10-02-2004, 10:15 AM
PLAY MALIK ROSE.

redeye
10-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Good thing we can all move on now and focus with what we have right now on the team, but if Malone was planning to join the team in mid season or thats when the Spurs were planning for him to join them, would that not be a distraction for the team with all the talk and media circus. What if the team is really gellin at the time? How do you bring him in?

TwoHandJam
10-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Once again this dumbass shows his true colors. No one that wants a ring would play for the hapless Lakers now. I hope he retires and fades quickly into obscurity. He is the quintessential loser.

Phenomanul
10-02-2004, 12:30 PM
What if the team is really gellin at the time? How do you bring him in?

Simple.... You don't.... I'm glad he made this decision.

SequSpur
10-02-2004, 01:41 PM
I heard the Spurs were demanding an answer by today from him. Seems alot of season ticket holders were holding out if he was going to come.

Its pretty sad when you have to get your players to take photos just to get people to buy tickets.

How about signing a real player instead of potential and you could save the film.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-02-2004, 01:54 PM
yeah i'm not really suprised about this i never really thought he would come. Hey Marcus Bryant have you really posted a million times?

LakerGod
10-02-2004, 03:20 PM
This is no news to Laker fans, we knew he was going to play for the Lakers or retire, he was just toying with the Spurs.

Malone would increase our chances for a title run but if he decides not to play, I respect that.

Don't scratch the Lakers out just yet.

The Lakers will surprise a lot of people this coming season. :smokin

timvp
10-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Malone isn't in LA for basketball reasons ... he just wants to further his movie career.

Believe it.

Marcus Bryant
10-02-2004, 04:11 PM
It feels like it, RtoD2.

picnroll
10-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Malone would increase our chances for a title run but if he decides not to play, I respect that.

Do the math. Going from 0 to 0 is not an increase.

BronxCowboy
10-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Just glad he won't be in silver and black. Talk about feeling conflicted.

E20
10-02-2004, 05:24 PM
Fuck Malone.

jcrod
10-02-2004, 06:48 PM
I'm very happy he stayed away.

sigepraider
10-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Malone would increase our chances for a title run

Thats why when yall were playing in the finals, Malone was on the bench in street clothes, thats really a big help.

Brodels
10-03-2004, 12:45 PM

Title Run?

:rollin

Medvedenko
10-03-2004, 04:38 PM
I don't really think having Malone will put LA over the edge, it would help in creating some stability in the locker room and some veteran leadership they now despertately need.

conversekid
10-03-2004, 11:01 PM
and all is right with the world again....

Useruser666
10-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Malone would have helped the Spurs. I think he is dumb for not coming here. If he really wanted a title he would have signed up for the silver and black. I don't know how he could possibly think he will get a ring in LA. So it's his loss more than ours.

bigzak25
10-04-2004, 09:20 AM
thank God for no Karl in SA.

now just keep horry at the end of the bench and all will be well....

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-04-2004, 06:28 PM
Karl will stink up the gym this year anyway.

At least I won't have to worry about how I'm ever going to cheer for Karl Malone. Having him wear the colors of my sacred Spurs would have been a little too much for me.

RobinsontoDuncan
10-04-2004, 07:28 PM
we have enough depth to not really miss him