PDA

View Full Version : Fox News Posts Fake Document On It's Site

Nbadan
10-02-2004, 02:09 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) - Fox News apologized Friday for posting phony quotes from Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on its Web site.

Carl Cameron, a Fox reporter who covers the Kerry campaign, wrote an item that looked like a news story with made-up Kerry quotes, said Paul Schur, a Fox spokesman. The item was not intended to be posted on the site.

"Carl made a stupid mistake which he regrets," Schur said Friday night. "And he has been reprimanded for his lapse in judgment. It was a poor attempt at humor."

The phony item posted early Friday read in part:

"Rallying supporters in Tampa Friday Kerry played up his performance in Thursday night's debate in which many observers agreed the Massachusetts senator outperformed the president.

"'Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!' Kerry said Friday.

"With the foreign-policy debate in the history books, Kerry hopes to keep the pressure on and the sense of traction going.

"Aides say he will step up attacks on the president in the next few days, and pivot somewhat to the domestic agenda, with a focus on women and abortion rights.

"'It's about the Supreme Court. Women should like me! I do manicures,' Kerry said."

The item also quoted Kerry as saying of himself and President Bush: "I'm metrosexual - he's a cowboy."

After withdrawing the item, Fox posted a statement on its Web site, http://www.FOXNews.com apologizing for the error. It said: "The item was based on a reporter's partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. We regret the error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

Cameron has been a political reporter for Fox News since 1996, Schur said.

Asked about the incident, Kerry spokesman David Wade said: "America would be stronger if only George Bush could admit his mistakes as easily."

Link (http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBY54W2TZD.html)

I don't think Jon Stewart has anything to worry about, still, can it be that Fox News believes so much in their own propaganda that people actually thought these quotes were real?

Nbadan
10-02-2004, 02:16 AM
Speaking of Jon Stewart, the numbers are in and Bill O"Reilly's not looking to good...

When Jon Stewart went on the O'Reilly show O'Reilly said The Daily Show audience consisted of stoned slackers. A study was done subsequently and the results are as follows:

Viewers of O'Relly Show with four years of college or more 24 percent.
Viewers of Daily Show with four years of college or more 78 percent.

May this find everyone happy and well,
Vinnie

Vinnievin (http://www.vinnievin.com/)

OUCH!

Kori Ellis
10-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Viewers of Daily Show with four years of college or more 78 percent.

I'm calling bullshit on this one. That's outrageously high. I don't believe that. I don't think there is any tv show where 78% of viewers have four years+ of college.

Marcus Bryant
10-02-2004, 04:56 AM
Fox should have claimed they were 'fake, but accurate'. That seems to be the journalistic standard when it comes to reporting on presidential candidates. Well, at least for the ones whose last name is Bush.

That stat is bogus, which is why danny provided that link.

Spurminator
10-02-2004, 09:18 AM
O'Reilly's audience is substantially older than Stewart's. Past generations (especially women) did not attend college as much as today's. It's a no-brainer that O'Reilly's viewers would likely be less "educated" on average.

I would bet all of my vBookie cash that Stewart's viewers also have more college experience on average than Nightline and 60 Minutes.

And anyway, hasn't anyone ever heard of Texas State University? Since when has a college education been exclusively for non-stoners?

Kori Ellis
10-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I don't doubt that Stewart's viewers have more college experience. I just doubt the 78% number. That's extremely high.

exstatic
10-02-2004, 11:22 AM
They may have 4 years or more of college, and STILL be "stoned slackers". No one mentioned ANYTHING about degrees...

"Seven years of college, down the drain..." Bluto