PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks Brett Favre will retire?

T-Pain
04-01-2006, 02:57 AM
i dont. i think hes gonna take the $3 Million signing bonus and play one more year. There should be a vBookie on this.

Horry For 3!
04-01-2006, 03:16 AM
Hmmmmm. He said it depends on what the Packers do in FA

Horry For 3!
04-01-2006, 03:16 AM
I'll go with he will retire.

chode_regulator
04-01-2006, 02:29 PM
i hope he stays but im afraid he'll retire

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-01-2006, 02:51 PM
He's staying. He doesn't know how to walk away...

samikeyp
04-01-2006, 08:05 PM
He will replace Steve Young on ESPN this season.

Horry For 3!
04-02-2006, 01:36 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-favre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Favre says he wants to play, but only if he can win

The Green Bay Packers aren't pressuring Brett Favre to make a retirement decision by Saturday's due date for a $3 million roster bonus. And even if they were, the quarterback doesn't think he owes the team a decision this weekend anyway.

In his most recent comments about his murky football future, Favre made one thing clear: If he does return, he told a newspaper in his native Mississippi there is "no doubt" it will be his last season.

Saturday's bonus due date recently has been interpreted as a deadline from the team's management for Favre to make a decision. But Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the date wasn't a firm deadline, and ESPN.com reported Friday night that the team had pushed it back to an undisclosed date -- the third time this offseason Favre's bonus date has been delayed.

"If I don't tell them by Saturday, what will they do, cut me?" Favre told the Sun Herald in Gulfport, Miss.

Favre's retirement saga has turned into pro football's version of Groundhog Day, as fans and the media try to predict the future based upon brief public glimpses of the iconic QB during the winter.

Thompson said the bonus date should not be considered a deadline.

"No, it never has been," Thompson told The Associated Press on Friday. "It's just another date in the spring."

Thompson, who has remained in contact with Favre during the offseason, said he hasn't heard anything that would indicate a decision is imminent.

"We've talked to Brett and (wife) Deanna, and I've said all along that they'll decide when they decide," Thompson said.

Favre said he wants to play again but will return only if the Packers can assemble a winning team.

"Last season, expectations were high and it was a bad situation," Favre said of the team's 4-12 season, his only losing one in Green Bay. "If we can't compete at a high level, I can walk away and my legacy will speak for itself."

Thompson said Favre's unclear future isn't having a negative effect on the team's preparations for next season. But the sooner Favre decides, the better.

"It's OK now," Thompson said. "I think everybody would like to know. I think Brett would like to know."

The Packers did not pursue experienced quarterbacks such as Aaron Brooks and Brian Griese in free agency, but Thompson said that was not an indication that the Packers are assuming Favre will return.

Aaron Rodgers, the team's first-round draft pick last season, is presumed to be in line to take over the starting role if Favre retires. But Thompson said the team would look to add a more experienced quarterback, possibly through a trade, if Favre does retire.

"Obviously, with Brett not in the equation, we might have to add another type of player," Thompson said.

But Thompson hopes it doesn't come to that.

Favre, who was in Gulfport, Miss., to award grants to help youth football groups rebuild after Hurricane Katrina, said he has been talking to the team for the past month and there are things that both parties have to sort out.

"If they don't come together, I guess I won't play," Favre said. "I don't know if my decision will be made by Saturday."

Favre said some days he wants to play and other days he wants to retire. Knowing he can still compete at a high level is making the decision tough, he said.

Bo Malette
04-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Isn't it weird that he was still Brett Favre two years ago, then last year he was arguably an old, over the hill quarterback?

Vizzini
04-02-2006, 10:30 PM
This is a man who has caused me irrepairable damage and heartache as a Detroit Lions fan. I hope he retires, I really do. I have never liked him or rooted for him. I have always respected his game, and he is one of the best ever, but for the love of God please hang it up and let my healing begin*.

(* reminded of '94 playoff game in which #4 found a wide open Shannon Sharpe in the back of the endzone at the Silverdome, singlehandlely questioning my faith in mankind and all that is good in the world, as a tear is now starting to roll down my cheek, thats it, I'm done typing for a while.)

Obstructed_View
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Fuck the Packers. I hope he does as much damage to the Packers as possible before he retires. Instead of trying to build a winning team last year, they drafted his replacement and then let him get the shit beat out of him for an entire season. Maybe they'll cut him and he can sign with another team as a free agent. That would be awesome.

Thurmasaurus
04-05-2006, 07:01 AM
I think Brett Favre will stay for another year just because he had a horrible season last year and doesn't want to end on a bad note. But he might be there for a while if he doesn't want to end on a bad note.

Despot
04-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Why did he call a press conference just to say that he was still undecided??? I have to say that Favre is one my favorite players ever, even though I don't care much for the Packers. I admire his game, competitiveness, heart, and the fact that he plays the right way. I think of him as the last throwback from the era and style of QB's that included Unitas, Staubach, Starr, Montana, Namath, Marino and Elway.

I think, and I hope he will be back for another season, for me the NFL just won't be the same without Favre playing. Heck, I would like for him to play with another team, he would be a great mentor for Cutler.

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Favre copped an attitude last year when the Pack sacrificed a #1 pick on a QB; then he proceeded to piss off his #1 WR option; and now he's acting like a teenage drama queen.

Unless he aspires to break the single-season interception record, Favre should hang it up now and salvage his dignity.

Vashner
04-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I think he will play 1 more year.

JMarkJohns
04-09-2006, 02:11 AM
Good Bye...

Horry For 3!
04-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Did Favre say if he was going to retire or not? I haven't been home all day.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Did he get major injuries prior to last season? How can his throwing arm just start to blow so horribly over one offseason that he gets so many interceptions?

I just don't get it.

T-Pain
04-09-2006, 08:42 PM
if he does come back, i dont think the packers will do good, even if they had good players. he just not what he used to be

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Did he get major injuries prior to last season? How can his throwing arm just start to blow so horribly over one offseason that he gets so many interceptions?

I just don't get it.

When he plays for a bad team, he tries to make spectacular throws. It's the only chance they have, and translates to a lot of picks. He also was running for his life because his team drafted a backup QB instead of an O lineman, which also translates into picks.

T-Pain
04-10-2006, 11:35 AM
whatever decision he makes, i think hes gonna regret it

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 01:46 PM
He could force them to cut him and then sign with another team like Chicago. I doubt he'd regret that.

Vinnie_Johnson
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Bret should shut it down he is nothing but a shell of his former self

sa_butta
04-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Not that anything John Madden Says makes sense but....

Madden thinks Favre could be traded

Opinions about the Brett Favre retirement issue are like cowboy hats in Texas.

Everyone has one.

The latest notable National Football League observer to weigh in on the topic is John Madden, who will be calling Sunday night games for NBC-TV this season.

Madden said he would not be surprised if the Green Bay Packers quarterback was traded.

Madden made his comments about Favre Tuesday night on the "NFL Total Access" show on NFL TV during an interview with Rich Eisen and Rod Woodson.

"I don't know if it has to be in Green Bay," Madden said, referring to Favre returning to play in the National Football League for his 16th season.

"It just sounds like to me that if he's going to play - and again I haven't talked to him, I've just listened to him - it sounds like he may be setting himself up to be traded," Madden said. "He would probably want to play, but he wants to play with a team that has a chance to win. The Packers really don't look like they are going in that direction right now, so maybe he's talking about another team."

Madden acknowledged that Favre repeatedly has said to him and others that he does not want to end his career with any team but the Packers.

"But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a trade," Madden said. "There are a number of teams that could use him. . . . There are a lot of moving parts in this that could include the draft and could maybe include Brett Favre."

Madden said Favre will have to make up his mind soon because players, especially older players, need time to get ready for the season.

"Obviously, he has to give an answer pretty soon because if you are going to play you have to get ready to play," Madden said. "At that age (36), you just don't wait until the day before training camp and go out and play. You have to start getting ready. The older you are, the sooner you have to start getting ready. So I think that's going to be a key. Is he starting to get ready to play?"

Madden will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame Aug. 5 in Canton, Ohio. Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis will be his presenter. The others going into the hall that day are former Packers defensive end Reggie White, quarterbacks Warren Moon and Troy Aikman, linebacker Harry Carson and tackle Rayfield Wright.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415322 (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=415322)

Obstructed_View
04-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Favre won't take a trade IMO unless it's to a team he would sign with if they cut him. That doesn't put the Packers in a good negotiating position.

TheAdmiral#50
04-15-2006, 04:03 PM
I think he can still play, last season is not really a good representation of his current skill level. We've all seen what happens when a good QB plays for a very bad team.

That being said, eventually everything must have an end......... Brett has done himself, the NFL, and the city of GB proud.

And while I'm sure some may not agree with him and some may feel he should just make up his mind one way or another, they can understand why one of the most Respected and Successful Players in NFL history wouldn't want to commit his final season.... to a likely repeat of last year.

Brett is saying that he'll only come back if the Packers can assemble a winning team...

Uh....Brett, I think that's your cue.

valluco
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
Favre will be a Dallas Cowboy.

Vashner
04-26-2006, 04:12 PM
I win :)