PDA

View Full Version : Do Spurs lack a go-to guy?

Jimcs50
04-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Not only do the Spurs not have a player averaging 20 pts/game this year(First time in 20 yrs), but they have not had a player score 40 pts in a game and have had a player score 30 pts, only five times this year(Parker 4 times and TD once) That is the lowest in the NBA. Detroit, who have never been known for offense, has had players score over 30 fourteen times.

Kobe has scored over 40, twentyone times, as a comparison.(not saying LA can beat us)

Is this a concern in the playoffs?

We have always told other fans in here when arguing who would win a certain series: Your team does not have that go-to guy like us in DRob or TD.

Well, this year, who is our go-to guy?

Do we need a go-to guy to beat Phoenix or Dallas?

Do we ned that go-to guy to beat NJ or Detroit?

Last year, we had Manu as our go-to guy, and he came through bigtime.

This year, I am not sure who it is. A concern, if our go-to guy is TD or TP, can they knock down the FTs when they get fouled after trying to score late in games as our go-to guy?

ALVAREZ6
04-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Whoever is hot in the current game is the go-to guy, or at least should be.

Having 3 players that can light up the score board on any given night is better than having 1 main go-to guy.

If you only have 1 main scorer, if he has an off night, your team loses. Simple as that. If AI has an off night, the Sixers do not win. Even if C-webb has a big game, AI has to hit his shots.

Having 3 guys that are capable of scoring a lot of points is way better.

Jimcs50
04-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Whoever is hot in the current game is the go-to guy, or at least should be.

Having 3 players that can light up the score board on any given night is better than having 1 main go-to guy.

If you only have 1 main scorer, if he has an off night, your team loses. Simple as that. If AI has an off night, the Sixers do not win. Even if C-webb has a big game, AI has to hit his shots.

Having 3 guys that are capable of scoring a lot of points is way better.

Do we have that?

Only 5 times this year, has a player scored over 30 pts. That is my point.

ALVAREZ6
04-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Do we have that?

We don't need it.

Spread offense > Kobe

spurschick
04-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Do we have that?

A whole new season starts April 22.

Slomo
04-01-2006, 09:54 AM
A whole new season starts April 22.Off topic: SC do you have any sort of info/confirmation that the playoffs will start the 22nd? or is it only an educated guess.

I need to know :eyebrows

spurschick
04-01-2006, 09:59 AM
Off topic: SC do you have any sort of info/confirmation that the playoffs will start the 22nd? or is it only an educated guess.

I need to know :eyebrows

I know the playoffs definitely start the 22nd, but I don't know yet if the Spurs first game will be the 22nd or 23rd. It will depend on broadcast scheduling.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 10:05 AM
We don't need it.

Spread offense > Kobe

Word. Also ever heard of a guy named Robert Horry. We have a go to guy. :smokin

But you do raise an interesting sidepoint. Has their been an NBA titlist with no one over 20ppg reg season. Or will Spurs be the 1st? :king

orhe
04-01-2006, 10:43 AM
ok thats a really good point...
first of all im not a TP Hater but im still doubting if TP can deliver the goods in the playoffs... especially if we face the LA Lakers (in the first round) or some good defensive team.
what was great w/ Manu having more plays run through him last season was he knew how to distribute the ball at certain times of the game... so if he was off the team knows how to adapt. not so w/ TP, when Tony is having a bad game that means his Penetration is being cut off and/or his Jumpshot ain't falling. when that happens the team doesn't really know how to adapt cause they've been used to TP going ALL the way to the hoop then kicking out where as manu just decides to give the ball up earlier than TP... (see clippers game)

T Park
04-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Playoffs start April 23rd I think, that was the advertisement with TNT.

Id say Ginobili is the go to guy in the 4th quarter, along with Duncan, and whoever else is playing well.

The go to guy thing is overrated.

IE, Detroit last year, Detroit two years ago.

Tell me who Detroit's is?

Hamilton? sometimes

Billups? Sometimes

Rashweed? Sometimes, but against his wishes.

Hell Prince even has nights where hes a stud go to guy, like last night VS Milwaukee (BTW, Kori, remember me saying the Spurs needed to draft that guy? Me>Spurs scouts :lol jk )

T Park
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
especially if we face the LA Lakers (in the first round) or some good defensive team.

Miss the game thursday night did we?

spurschick
04-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Playoffs start April 23rd I think, that was the advertisement with TNT.

TNT's coverage starts on Sunday, but there will be games on Saturday on other networks

Spurologist
04-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Whoever is hot in the current game is the go-to guy

I have heard pop say this many times. Every thing still runs through Timmy, which opens up court for Tony and Manu. In final minutes minutes, it's either a pick and roll with manu/Timmy or Tony/Timmy. There is then a chance for a kick out to other players (Horry, Manu, Tony, Tim, FIN, Barry).

T Park
04-01-2006, 10:58 AM
No question Timmy is numero uno, and its what won 3 rings.

What lost 3 rings, was the people around Timmy making or missing shots

Terry Porter, Turkoglu, Ferry, Horry.

Making shots

Stephen Jackson, Ginobili, Kerr, Parker (go watch game 6 against Phoenix, Lakers, in 03, and you'll see what I mean.)

weebo
04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Give it to the Kiwi and let him work.

MI21
04-01-2006, 11:20 AM
But you do raise an interesting sidepoint. Has their been an NBA titlist with no one over 20ppg reg season. Or will Spurs be the 1st?

Pretty sure Detroit in 03/04 didn't have a 20ppg regular season scorer. I think Hamilton may have been around 22ppg in the playoffs however.

I expect the Spurs to be similar, with Duncan getting around 22/23ppg.

PM5K
04-01-2006, 11:51 AM
When I think of "Go To Guy" I don't necessarily think of a guy that scores any specific ammount of points, like thirty or more or forty or more, I think of a guy that you can put the ball in his hands, and when you need it, he can make the big shots or make the smart plays....

kalikot_boy_kr
04-01-2006, 12:03 PM
:smokin FABIO MUST BE A GO TO BUY! :lol

boutons_
04-01-2006, 12:07 PM
nope, 04 Pistons had no scorer reach 18 PPG. Richard was most @ 17.6 PPG.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Word. Also ever heard of a guy named Robert Horry. We have a go to guy. :smokin

But you do raise an interesting sidepoint. Has their been an NBA titlist with no one over 20ppg reg season. Or will Spurs be the 1st? :king

seattle had no one avg'ing over 20 ppg in the 93-94 season and were #1 in the league (tho they weren't title winners) and they choked badly in the playoffs losing to denver. lets hope SA doesn't share the same fate

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2006, 12:18 PM
whoever is open for the inbound pass.

Sportcamper
04-01-2006, 01:47 PM
I think Dr. Jim makes a valid point...Do the Spurs rely too much on aggressive defense, precision offense and “over all team play”, to win games? The Spurs have at least 7 guys that on any given night can score over 12 points...

Where is the “Go to Guy”?

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2006, 01:49 PM
dont need one, didnt stop us from winnin 3 titles

Kori Ellis
04-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Do Spurs lack a go-to guy?

No. They have 3.

SAGambler
04-01-2006, 02:01 PM
The Spurs have such a balanced team, that on any given night, any player could be the go to guy. I mean we have five or six guys that can light up 3 pointers on any given night. When one goes out, another one comes in. No one can just sit back and assume that most 3 pointers won't fall for the Spurs.

We have two threats to drive the lane and score or pass out.

Then if they double up on Tim, that gives another option to pass out to the open shooter.

If they are a run and gun type like Phoenix, with a small line up, then Nazr or Rasho become a lot more important in how things are run.

I don't think there is a team in the NBA that has the balance, both in the starting 5 and the bench that the Spurs have.

And I think, in the end, that is what gets them another trophy.

pjjrfan
04-01-2006, 02:05 PM
No question Timmy is numero uno, and its what won 3 rings.

What lost 3 rings, was the people around Timmy making or missing shots

Terry Porter, Turkoglu, Ferry, Horry.

Making shots

Stephen Jackson, Ginobili, Kerr, Parker (go watch game 6 against Phoenix, Lakers, in 03, and you'll see what I mean.)
You forgot Jaren Jackson and Sean Elliott. But I truly believe that the Spurs have 3 go to guys with experience, TD, Manu and Finley. I wouldn't call Tony a go to guy just yet, but he is also the one who will handle the ball and make sure the other 3 guys get that last shot. In Manu's case he can do Tony's job of handling the ball, but Fin and TD need someone to get them the ball, and either Tony or Manu can handle that. I forgot the 2 old guys, what their names, Horry and Van Exel.

genghisrex
04-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Do we have that?

One player scoring a lot of points is an overrated stat. The Spurs have lost plenty of games in the past when Duncan has had great individual numbers; 53 against Dallas comes to mind. Teams aren't facing the Spurs thinking, "Thank God they don't have a 20 ppg scorer," they're thinking "even if we stop one of their big guns, they have two more and a loaded bench." The Spurs have an incredibly balanced scoring punch with three strong go-to options (19, 19, and 15 ppg at 56, 49, and 46 fg%, respectively) that have carried us pretty well so far. I think, if anything, that bodes well for the postseason.

boutons_
04-01-2006, 02:13 PM
"I wouldn't call Tony a go to guy just yet,"

holy shit, why not?

Tony has carried the Spurs in Tim's absence this season.
Tony bellied up to Richard to force a bad bad shot to save Robert's Finals Game5 heroics, and was about the only guy who was effective in the Finals Game3,4 blowouts.
Remember Tony vs Baron in the double-OT.
etc, etc, etc.

Tony is as goto as any Spur, and his improved FTs have prevented any hack-a-Tony crunch tactics.

Michael is NOT goto at all, so far.
He has no showed with 0-fer or 1-fer shooting in several big games this season.

Solid D
04-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes, Tim Duncan is the primary go-to guy. It's Tim centric. The Spurs have the luxury of 2 other playmakers they can rely on to put the ball in their hands...Manu and Tony, so it looks more distributed.

But...

this is a hub-and-spoke team and has been for a long time.

aaronstampler
04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
This is so dumb. Yeah, they only have the greatest PF of all-time, easily one of the best 10 or 15 players to ever play, but no, they don't have a go to player...

Get out of here. Tim, Manu, and TP will all average over 18 a night in the playoffs. Really, I'm expecting about 65 points a game from them...

Dre_7
04-01-2006, 06:09 PM
and have had a player score 30 pts, only five times this year(Parker 4 times and TD once)

I think you mean they had a player score 30 SIX times, right?

Jimcs50
04-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Can somone bring up a valid question without people getting defnsive?

Do you people remember asking other team's fans like Blazer fans or Nuggets fans who their Go to guys were, when they had many players who scored in the teens like we have this year, when we had DRob and TD dominatiing the scoring column?

It seems funny that it does not seem to worry anyone now, even though we made out how bad it was for other teams who did not have that super scorer on their team.

So, I guess it does not matter anymore.

Jimcs50
04-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Looks like Manu is still our guy.

:smokin

SAGambler
04-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Looks like Manu is still out guy.

:smokin

In crunch time, it certainly looks like he is the man. Pop just turned that last 5 minutes over to Manu.

Kriz-Maxima
04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
They have a TEAM which is superior to any individual effort. Plus, in my mind a go to guy is someone who you know will get the ball in the important moments and make the shot and you got plenty of that around.

SequSpur
04-01-2006, 11:29 PM
Rasho is the "go to" guy.

Hey Rasho "go to" the lockerroom and get me a towel.

Hey Rasho "go to" the front door and tear tickets.

Hey Rasho "go to" Club 200 and sell cotton candy.

Hey Rasho "go to" the end of the bench and stfu.

Dude is awesome.

pjjrfan
04-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Dude is awesome.
:lol :lol :lol

drivanroca
04-01-2006, 11:51 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

2centsworth
04-01-2006, 11:57 PM

Dude is awesome.
That's funny.:lol :lol

cs100
04-02-2006, 12:00 AM
They have 3 go to guys in Tim, Tony and Manu. In the past, Manu got the ball during crunch time because he was the better foul shooter. With Tony improving in that area, and Finley a high percentage FT shooter, the Spurs can run a number of plays with a good FT shooter in mind. None of these guys are afraid to make the "big" play.

Dingle Barry
04-02-2006, 06:40 AM

Dude is awesome.
:elephant :elephant :blah :blah

td4mvp21
04-02-2006, 09:39 AM
:lol

gameFACE
04-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Tony has been the "go to guy" this year so far. With the Spurs having the second best record in the NBA it's obvious that someone continually having 30 and 40 pt scoring nights is not needed. Or that the "gtg" in the Spurs system doesn't have to rack up those kinds of points. I prefer a balanced attack with several players in double digits against teams like Dallas, Phoenix and even Detroit. It works better than trying to counter one of their guys "going off". Let Dirk score 40. Fine with me. He'll blow a gasket in the clutch 'cause no one else is stepping it up.

The Spurs have several go to guys regardless of them not averaging over 20ppg. Based on the way they are recently improving their play and going into the playoffs I would rank the "GTG's" in this order:

Tim/Manu (tie)
Tony
Horry

JamStone
04-02-2006, 10:23 AM
It's not that the Spurs lack a go-to guy. It's more that the Spurs' go-to guys are unselfish and don't need to score 30-40 points to help their team win. Moreover, the Spurs' main go-to guys (Tim and Manu) have not been 100% this season.

I would categorize Manu Ginobili as the best go-to guy option on the Spurs, when he is healthy. And, even as such, the scoring aspect is less of a factor because in a crunchtime situation, Manu is just as likely to penetrate and kickout for an open jumper as he is going all the way to the basket to score or step back and hit a jumper.

I don't think Tony Parker is a go-to guy just yet. I think he is the type of player that will help carry the team for most of the game, and then when the final 4-6 minutes of the game come around, the ball goes through Manu and Tim.

NCaliSpurs
04-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't think Tony Parker is a go-to guy just yet. I think he is the type of player that will help carry the team for most of the game, and then when the final 4-6 minutes of the game come around, the ball goes through Manu and Tim.

Pop wants the ball to go through Manu in the 4th quarter. It is not the case that Tony is "the type of player" that is afraid of the ball or wants to shirk responsibility. Tony gives the ball up in the 4th because he knows that those moments are Manu's time to shine, and not because he is incapable of taking over himself.

JamStone
04-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Pop wants the ball to go through Manu in the 4th quarter. It is not the case that Tony is "the type of player" that is afraid of the ball or wants to shirk responsibility. Tony gives the ball up in the 4th because he knows that those moments are Manu's time to shine, and not because he is incapable of taking over himself.

I didn't infer that Tony was afraid or didn't want the responsibility. Whatever the reason, whether it's Pop's decision or whether it's just that Manu is better at crunchtime, that's just the way it is. Even if Tony is capable, if he doesn't get those chances, then he's not yet a go-to guy.

boutons_
04-02-2006, 11:01 AM
With Manu taking it to the hoop in crunch time with Tony's improved jumper as kick-out option, Tony is very much in the go-to group.

Jimcs50
04-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I didn't infer that Tony was afraid or didn't want the responsibility. Whatever the reason, whether it's Pop's decision or whether it's just that Manu is better at crunchtime, that's just the way it is. Even if Tony is capable, if he doesn't get those chances, then he's not yet a go-to guy.

I like Manu over TP or TD at crunch time mainly because he can knock down FTs if they foul him and put him on the line. In history, the go to guy was always the guy that could knock down FTs at crunch time. MJ, DRob, AI, Hakeem, Kobe, and Chauncey.

Do any one of us want TD to get the ball in the post with 3 secs left and no timeouts left, down 2 pts at home in a playoff game, knowing that they are gonna foul TD if he gets near the hoop? Do we want TD at the line with .04 left needing to knock down 2 FTs to tie the game?

Not me, I wat Manu or Finley.

The other contenders, Dallas, Phenix. and Detroit all have their Go To guys that can knock down those FTs quite easliy(Dirk, Nash ad Billups) in a game inning situation. We need that too.

nkdlunch
04-02-2006, 11:59 AM
DUncan is improving his game going into the playoffs. He is gonna beour man.

Jimcs50
04-02-2006, 12:12 PM
DUncan is improving his game going into the playoffs. He is gonna beour man.

Yes, but I do not want him near the FT line at crunch time.

:)

greyforest
04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
i think the spurs not having players scoring over 20pts per game all the time is a good stat
it shows that we are moving the ball around, and we dont have someone that attempts 21342461343 fgs a game

Jimcs50
04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
i think the spurs not having players scoring over 20pts per game all the time is a good stat
it shows that we are moving the ball around, and we dont have someone that attempts 21342461343 fgs a game

Yes, but we are doing a 180 on that attitude...now that we do not have a DRob or a offensive TD anymore. You must not remember us ragging all over other fans who had the same balanced attack, w/o a superstar scorer like we have had for the last 16 yrs, until this year. We all used to ask ad nauseam, "Who is your go to guy??" They woulkd hem and haw and say that they had 3 or 4 guys who could score at crunch time, but in reality, they did not, they had 4 guys who can score but 4 guys that would not demand the ball at crunch time and not be affraid to fail.

I say our guy is Manu.

td4mvp21
04-02-2006, 01:45 PM
If our season is/was on the line, I would want TD taking it.