PDA

View Full Version : Pop and Duncans minutes

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Well established that Spurs are like 51-5 with a day off and 5-10 on b2bs.

Akin to that is Dunkans stats on 2nd of b2bs. They drop dramatically.
Not to mention he looks beat at times. And gets beat lol.

I'm not talking about just the plantar facia. I realize most concur that injury take at least a summer off to heal. But I'm talking about overall miles and other body parts. It's showing on Dunkar big time.

So why does Popavitch insist on playing him so many minutes? Vs. Lakers (back end of b2b) the Spurs went up 19 with Dunkan on the bench. They were still up 12-14 with 4 minutes to. Dunkan was still in the game.

That is whacked. What it up?
Don't give me the "Tim is competetive, he tells me when he will play or not" schpeel from Pop. Weak arsed answer. Coaches should listen to their stars, then make their own decision based on what is best for the team and the star.

I know there are days off in the playoffs. Thank goodness. Does not even begin to justify overuse in the reg season. It's all we need in an injury in meaningless minutes.

exstatic
04-01-2006, 11:20 AM
1) Duncan
2) Popovich, no 't'
3) Laker game was not a B2B. He only played 36 minutes.
4) Pop pulled Tim when Phil pulled Kobe.

polandprzem
04-01-2006, 12:17 PM
Even I not doing so much mistakes

ChumpDumper
04-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Wake me when he breaks the top 50 for minutes played.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 03:15 PM
1) Duncan
2) Popovich, no 't'
3) Laker game was not a B2B. He only played 36 minutes.
4) Pop pulled Tim when Phil pulled Kobe.

1) I spell it Dunkan on purpose. As in Dunk.
2) Spelling etiquette on a hoop board seems gay to me.
3) Maybe not b2b but nonetheless Dunkan has played in most if not all the b2bs. Why? 36 minutes may not be top 50 in NBA but Dunkan is consistently top minutes in Spurs games. Even when the game is well decided.
4) Who cares when Kobme was in or not in as regards Dunkans minutes. He was still in during the 4th quarter with 3 minutes to go. What purpose could that possibly serve?

exstatic
04-01-2006, 03:42 PM
When you have the opponent in a choke hold, you make THEM say "uncle!" by pulling their star first. You obviously didn't watch the last game in LA where Kobe scored 10 points in the last minute. If we hadn't been matching him with some timely Finley shots, it could have ended differently.

Oh, and the only thing gayer than spell checking on an internet board is purposeful misspelling and the gangsta wannabe syndrome. You are not in the least bit "hip hop", so turn off BET and do your homework.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 03:49 PM
When you have the opponent in a choke hold, you make THEM say "uncle!" by pulling their star first. You obviously didn't watch the last game in LA where Kobe scored 10 points in the last minute. If we hadn't been matching him with some timely Finley shots, it could have ended differently.

Oh, and the only thing gayer than spell checking on an internet board is purposeful misspelling and the gangsta wannabe syndrome. You are not in the least bit "hip hop", so turn off BET and do your homework.

No I don't wantz to be no wrapper, but a wannabe English ettiquette teacher takes the gay cake. :elephant

Yes i saw the last game in LA and many other games where Kobe has gone off for 10 points in the few minutes. What that has to do with Duncan guarding Kobe, please explain. A well rested Nazr/Rash or even 100% fresh Fabs is better then a 40% Duncan for 4 minutes.

exstatic
04-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Duncan obviously doesn't guard Kobe, but it's the psychological edge: you still have the big gun out there. In two possessions, Kobe could sink two three pointers and have Pop scrambling to put Tim back in to stem the flow. Tim thought he was done, and isn't mentally prepared to go back in. He misses his first two shots, and Kobe sinks another 3 and a pair of free throws. Suddenly, we're down. Is that what you fucking want?

Bring a take. 36 minutes on the road against a playoff team is not a lot by NBA standards, in spite of the fact that you didn't like it, which is what this all boils down to.

Call us when he's on the floor at the end of a 20 point blowout, having played 45 minutes. That would be unnecessary. If you still don't understand, I don't think it can be explained to you.

wildbill2u
04-01-2006, 04:08 PM
1) I spell it Dunkan on purpose. As in Dunk.
2) Spelling etiquette on a hoop board seems gay to me.
3) Maybe not b2b but nonetheless Dunkan has played in most if not all the b2bs. Why? 36 minutes may not be top 50 in NBA but Dunkan is consistently top minutes in Spurs games. Even when the game is well decided.
4) Who cares when Kobme was in or not in as regards Dunkans minutes. He was still in during the 4th quarter with 3 minutes to go. What purpose could that possibly serve?

I don't suppose you remember when the Rockets beat us with only a minute or so to go when TMAC started raining 3's and erased a double digit lead.

Kobe has the same talent. We are in the hunt for the home court advantage and shouldn't be afraid to ask our star player to make sure we win it.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Duncan obviously doesn't guard Kobe, but it's the psychological edge: you still have the big gun out there. In two possessions, Kobe could sink two three pointers and have Pop scrambling to put Tim back in to stem the flow. Tim thought he was done, and isn't mentally prepared to go back in. He misses his first two shots, and Kobe sinks another 3 and a pair of free throws. Suddenly, we're down. Is that what you fucking want?

Bring a take. 36 minutes on the road against a playoff team is not a lot by NBA standards, in spite of the fact that you didn't like it, which is what this all boils down to.

Call us when he's on the floor at the end of a 20 point blowout, having played 45 minutes. That would be unnecessary. If you still don't understand, I don't think it can be explained to you.

Oh i see so Tim pschologically did to Kobe what none of the others could have in the last minutes of that game. English basketball etiquette teacher and Dr. Phil. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-01-2006, 05:33 PM
No I don't wantz to be no wrapper, but a wannabe English ettiquette teacher takes the gay cake. :elephant

He's not being an English teacher. He's just pointing out that intentionally spelling players/coaches names wrong is pretty lame.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Oh. I will properly spell all last names from now on. It's important.

Can i be in the group?

Any thoughts on Duncans minutes?

Kori Ellis
04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Oh. I will properly spell all last names from now on.

You can do whatever you want. :lol You shouldn't be so easily swayed from what you obviously think is cool.

Kori Ellis
04-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Any thoughts on Duncans minutes?

Resting him isn't going to make him any better. And I think now that 4-5 months have past, he's probably getting better. So I'm not worried about it.

As someone already posted, the Laker game wasn't part of a backtoback. So I didn't think twice about Tim playing 36 minutes.

Fabbs
04-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Resting him isn't going to make him any better.
As someone already posted, the Laker game wasn't part of a backtoback. So I didn't think twice about Tim playing 36 minutes.

As far as plantar facia goes, it appears not. As for Dunkan playing better with rest this season:

TD in back to backs: 40% fg%; 9 reb; 15 ppg
TD 1 to 2 days rest: 51% fg%; 11.5 to 12.8 reb; 20-22 ppg

Many injuries occur after a result of cumulative minutes.
So lets hope he makes it to the playoffs without further injury.
We can agree to disagree how important or not his presence is on the floor with a 14 point lead and minutes to go. Okay?

I guess in addition to being an improper basketball db English ettiquette user I also recalled the back to back schedule incorrectly. :oops Sorry.

Kori Ellis
04-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Many injuries occur after a result of cumulative minutes.
So lets hope he makes it to the playoffs without further injury.

What further injury do you think can stem from the problem he currently has?

xcoriate
04-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Fabbs your not Argentinian by any chance?

Fabbs
04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
What further injury do you think can stem from the problem he currently has?

The problem of plantar facia or the problem of playing too many minutes?
Or both.

When one is injured they can tend to overcompensate on other body parts. I don't know exactly what 'comping on the Plantar could do. As to the fatigue factor of minutes/games played 2002-present, I would say take your pick. When the body gets too tired, including the brain, it could open up say an ankle sprain. Remember last year vs Sonics went Duncan came to a complete halt near the end of the game. We thought holy crap! he's out. That's what i fear with the cumulative minutes of the last 3 years. Many of the stars of titles past have commented on how the short summer is just not enough time to recoup. And Duncan did the F.I.B.A stint a few summers ago.

I know the "other side" will say these pampered millionaires have no excuse to be tired, try working in a coal mine/garbage truck/sweatshop/field picker etc. All true, but i still think hard core hoop can do cumulative breakdown of many muscles that only rest is gonna cure.

I'm sure we'll both be thrilled if Dunkars health holds out and Title 4 is accomplished. While of course we all want more titles in the next years, i think bagging 3 of 4 by winning this year would be an accomplishment for the ages.

Fabbs
04-02-2006, 12:15 PM
Fabbs your not Argentinian by any chance?

No. Cracker.
Maybe since the girls put up photos of their bravatars thus giving us a pretty good inkling of their race, we guys could put up avatars in our Spurs undies.
Ladies?

ChumpDumper
04-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Ladies?They voted. No one wants to see that.

And Duncan is averaging his second lowest minutes played in his career. Again, wake me when he breaks the top 50 in minutes played.

Fabbs
04-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Again, wake me when he breaks the top 50 in minutes played.

Wake up. He's at #48 for this season. More to the point, over the past three seasons cumulative he's probably in the top 10.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Minutes.jsp?league=00&season=22005&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&sortOrder=2&splitDD=All%20Teams

ChumpDumper
04-02-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm awake.

And not worried.