PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Spurs/Bullets

UtownSpur
04-01-2006, 01:06 PM
NBA TV will be showing game 4 of the 1978 east semi finas at 3pm central. Spurs vs. Bullets. Just thought i would give a heads up

T-Pain
04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
NBA TV will be showing game 4 of the 1978 east semi finas at 3pm central. Spurs vs. Bullets. Just thought i would give a heads up

interesting

Solid D
04-01-2006, 04:43 PM
I almost forgot Louie Dampier was with the Spurs that season.

Solid D
04-01-2006, 04:58 PM
That sounds like Pete Maravich doing the analysys. I haven't heard his voice in years but it sure sounds like him. I only tuned in right before the end of the 1st half, did they say who the announcers were?

UtownSpur
04-01-2006, 05:07 PM
It sure is the PISTOL doing the color for the game. Its pretty good game so far. Spurs black roadies are sweet.

Solid D
04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
I thought that sounded like him. The names Frank Gleiber and Pete Maravich just flashed on the screen as the announcers.

This wasn't the final game most people talk about. It was Game 4.

UtownSpur
04-01-2006, 05:44 PM
Love the outro music going to commercial...the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack!! HAHA :D

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-01-2006, 06:45 PM
I watched the game on ESPN Classics a couple of year ago.

That very easily could have been the year of the Spurs first title had things gone a little different in that series.

Did they do the interviews with Ice, et. al., after this showing?

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2006, 12:39 AM
I thought that sounded like him. The names Frank Gleiber and Pete Maravich just flashed on the screen as the announcers.

This wasn't the final game most people talk about. It was Game 4.

The Spurs and Wizards played a 6 game series in the East Semis in 1978 and then a 7 game series in the East Finals the following season. The game most people talk about is Game 7 of the East Finals, but in 1979, not 1978. This was Game 4 of the 1978 series, which is the year that Washington won its only NBA title.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-02-2006, 04:05 PM
The Spurs and Wizards played a 6 game series in the East Semis in 1978 and then a 7 game series in the East Finals the following season. The game most people talk about is Game 7 of the East Finals, but in 1979, not 1978. This was Game 4 of the 1978 series, which is the year that Washington won its only NBA title.

Oops, read the post wrong.

The last time I saw any of the '78 series was probably in 1978.

UtownSpur
04-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Even though I dont remember this game..was only 6 at the time...It was painful to see the Spurs give that game away in the final 2 mins. ICE looked kinda lost out there trying to run that 1/4 offense as they called it. Appeared to be watch ICE bring the ball up and everyone else watch and get out of the way. LOL Any longtime Spurs fans have any good memories of this series and the 79 series as well? What was the reaction around SA to this? Were the Spurs grilled in the media as they would be today?

Solid D
04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
The 1-4 clearout was the worst offense to run in order to stop transition baskets. If you do the math, it's not hard to figure out why.

SenorSpur
04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Even though I dont remember this game..was only 6 at the time...It was painful to see the Spurs give that game away in the final 2 mins. ICE looked kinda lost out there trying to run that 1/4 offense as they called it. Appeared to be watch ICE bring the ball up and everyone else watch and get out of the way. LOL Any longtime Spurs fans have any good memories of this series and the 79 series as well? What was the reaction around SA to this? Were the Spurs grilled in the media as they would be today?

To set everything up. The Spurs had been in complete command of the series. Up 3 games to 1. However, they allowed the Bullets to storm back and tie the series. By now the Spurs were playing snakebit.

All the talk at that time was primarily around how the refs "cheated" the Spurs out of that game and the series. Anyone who watches the game will notice several crucial and "suspicious" calls that went against them during that game.

It sparked a lot of conspiracy talk about the series being "fixed" and that "the league didn't want the Spurs to win." After all the Spurs were one of only four ABA teams to have joined the league 2 years prior and there was still a lot of prejudice and resentment by the old guard against the new teams.

At that time the Spurs were playing in the Eastern Conference - go figure. The winner of this series went on to face the Seattle Supersonics in the NBA finals.

The Spurs went on to make imfamous history by becoming one of only a handful of teams to lose a seven game series after having been up 3 games to 1.

It was embarrassing and heartbreaking at the same time.

Solid D
04-02-2006, 10:52 PM
Click here.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1978.html

FromWayDowntown clarified that this was the 1978 Playoffs. The Spurs lost to the Bullets in the Eastern Conference Semifinals 4 games to 1 in 1978. The Bullets won the NBA Championship by defeating the Seattle Supersonics in 7 games. The 1979 Playoffs is the one you just described and that was the Spurs blowing a 3-1 Eastern Conference Finals lead and losing 4 games to 3 to the Bullets. The Bullets then went on to defeat Phily in the Conference Finals and then lost to Seattle this time in the '79 Finals 4-1.

FromWayDowntown
04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Click here.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_1978.html

FromWayDowntown clarified that this was the 1978 Playoffs. The Spurs lost to the Bullets in the Eastern Conference Semifinals 4 games to 1 in 1978. The Bullets won the NBA Championship by defeating the Seattle Supersonics in 7 games. The 1979 Playoffs is the one you just described and that was the Spurs blowing a 3-1 Eastern Conference Finals lead and losing 4 games to 3 to the Bullets. The Bullets then went on to defeat Phily in the Conference Finals and then lost to Seattle this time in the '79 Finals 4-1.

I think that one of the fascinating things about the 78 and 79 Finals is that those were the only titles for Washington and Seattle respectively. They came in consecutive seasons and in repeat matchups. I don't know why I find that fascinating, and I doubt that others will find it even remotely amusing; I just know that it's curious to me.

It must have been predestined for those franchises to only beat each other in the Finals.

BTW -- Spurs lost to Washington in '78 in six games.

Taco
04-03-2006, 03:24 PM
is that the game where Wes Unsel pulls Artis Gilmore into him and they call a foul on Artis

Game over Bullets win

Solid D
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
No, Artis wasn't with the Spurs then - he was with the Bulls. The Whopper and Mike Green were their post players.

Willinsa
04-03-2006, 04:01 PM
The A train arrived before the 1982-83 season.

mikejones99
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Ouch, Those Bullets with Elvin, Unseld, Dandrige and company beat one of the best Spurs teams ever with Gervin, Silas, Kenon and Paultz.

wildbill2u
04-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Not sure if it was the 78 or 79 game, but I think this game was the one where Doug Moe got fined several thousand dollars because of complaining against the officiating. Jimmy Silas got mugged and no call at the end which would have won it for us because the guy shot about 90% at the FT line.

Anyway, the SA fans were outraged. Thousands of us met the plane after they lost. And the Baseline Bums began a collection of thousands of pennies to pay off Moe's fine.

Solid D
04-03-2006, 10:44 PM
1979 was when Moe went off on the officials. As I remember Paul Mahalik and John Vanek were two of his targets.

Solid D
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
In fact, I think Doug Moe said they ought to be shot. :lol