PDA

View Full Version : Swimming pool Question

Zombie
04-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know what is a better filter for a pool?
I have a Media type filter but am looking into buying a sand filter. Which one has the best performance and costs less to run. The Media filters are costing me about $50 a year and they are a pain in the ass to clean.

If you have a pool, what do you use/have?

Silver21_Black20
04-02-2006, 08:18 PM
My sister buys sand filters and she gets them at Leslie's Pool. She says sand filters are easy to maintain.

SequSpur
04-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I have a DE filter. I've had it for 6 years and have never replaced it.

My water is crystal clear. Never had a problem.

Zombie
04-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I have a DE filter. I've had it for 6 years and have never replaced it.

My water is crystal clear. Never had a problem.
What did it set up back? Do you have to clean it(meaning, do you have to pull it out and clean it).I have a 15' oval Above ground pool and need something better and more efficient.

SequSpur
04-02-2006, 08:34 PM
I have a 24ft Ovation pool from Above ground pool company.

It came with it. I clean it about 6 times a year. During the winter, I don't touch it, I run it on a timer 8 hours a day.

Then in March I clean it good. I run it for a couple of weeks 8-10 hours a day, shock the shit out of the pool. Put nophos, algaecide, tablets and I am good to go. I clean it again about 3 weeks later then every other month, as long as the pressure meter stays below 10. It it goes above that, its time for a spray down again.

You just pull the filter out and spray it down. Put it back. Mix the DE powder and pour into the skimmer and let it work.

Zombie
04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
I have a 24ft Ovation pool from Above ground pool company.

It came with it. I clean it about 6 times a year. During the winter, I don't touch it, I run it on a timer 8 hours a day.

Then in March I clean it good. I run it for a couple of weeks 8-10 hours a day, shock the shit out of the pool. Put nophos, algaecide, tablets and I am good to go. I clean it again about 3 weeks later then every other month, as long as the pressure meter stays below 10. It it goes above that, its time for a spray down again.

You just pull the filter out and spray it down. Put it back. Mix the DE powder and pour into the skimmer and let it work.
What size pump does it take to run it? I have a 1hP pump.
With running it 8-10 hours a day, i'd hate to see your electric bill. I run my current filter about 4 hours a day, 2hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening(when we are in the pool).
I think i'll go to Above ground pool and see what it'll cost me.

SequSpur
04-02-2006, 09:13 PM
What size pump does it take to run it? I have a 1hP pump.
With running it 8-10 hours a day, i'd hate to see your electric bill. I run my current filter about 4 hours a day, 2hours in the morning and 2 hours in the evening(when we are in the pool).
I think i'll go to Above ground pool and see what it'll cost me.

My electric only changed 10-15 dollars over the years.

I don't know what size it is, but its pretty big.

Also, how can you circulate all the water in 2 hours?

You need at least 8.

Your water was be polluted.

boutons_
04-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I have two friends who switched from paper filters to DE recently. Much happier.

Zombie
04-02-2006, 09:18 PM
My electric only changed 10-15 dollars over the years.

I don't know what size it is, but its pretty big.

Also, how can you circulate all the water in 2 hours?

You need at least 8.

Your water was be polluted.
Nope, the water was Crystal clear!
All the chemicals were right in line where they should be.
I don't run an Eva Longoria pool if you know what I mean. :smokin

Solid D
04-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Does anyone know what is a better filter for a pool?
I have a Media type filter but am looking into buying a sand filter. Which one has the best performance and costs less to run. The Media filters are costing me about $50 a year and they are a pain in the ass to clean.

If you have a pool, what do you use/have?

It takes a high-quality filter for a cesspool. Oops, sorry Zombie, I thought you were posting this in the Troll Forum.

;)

Vashner
04-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Most of those above grounds don't seem to last more than 3 summers.

Jimcs50
04-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I have a DE filter also and it is easy to maintain. Just backwash it every 3 wks and keep your chemicals right and you will have clear water forever.

JudynTX
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Your own backyard waterpark! FTW

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/31163922#31163922

mrsmaalox
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I have a sand filter and I hate it, but I'm too cheap to replace it. My best friend has a DE filter that is probably 20 yrs old and her water is always beautiful. I run my filter 24hrs per day in the summer and it's still a constant struggle!

manufan10
06-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I pay someone to do it for me.. I spend the same amount of money and do less work. A win win situation.

Strike
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
My parents have an in-ground pool with a sand filter. I don't know how much it cost but it has had to be replaced once in 35 years along with the pump and motor. As long as they run it 8 hours per day, vacuum when necessary and keep the chlorine percentage and pH at the normal level, it stays clean and clear from March to November. The initial cleaning in early March is kind of a pain in the balls but after that it's easy PM once a week.

stretch
06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
fuck filters

just shock it every day. thats why i did when i used to clean a friends pool. saved him money on the electricity and maintenence for the filter.

MiamiHeat
06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
can I come and christen your pool with the first pee?