PDA

View Full Version : How do you say `crybaby' in Spanish?

KoriEllis
08-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Tom Powers | How do you say `crybaby' in Spanish?

By TOM POWERS

www.mercurynews.com/mld/m...504287.htm (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/9504287.htm)

Saint Paul Pioneer Press

ATHENS - Yippee! We aren't the bad guys anymore, at least not in basketball.

The United States cleared a major hurdle on the road to image rehabilitation Thursday. We found someone who is a bigger whiner and a bigger jerk than any of our NBA guys.

Mario Pesquera, head coach of Spain's Olympic basketball team, stepped front and center and out-uglied any American playing in this tournament. It was a thing of beauty.

Gracias muy mucho, Senor Pesquera.

After losing to the United States in Thursday's quarterfinal, Pesquera reacted by: 1) blaming the referees, 2) blaming the scheduling, 3) trying to pick a fight with coach Larry Brown.

This gentleman has NBA written all over him. I can envision him throwing a towel, a chair or even his pants onto the court in a fit of anger.

I would like to have seen the doughy Pesquera try to take on Brown. Unfortunately, their assistants stepped in between.

Can you feel the Olympic spirit?

Supposedly, Pesquera was furious because Brown called a time-out with 23 seconds to play and a big lead. In reality, he was steaming because our NBA "B" squad came alive and knocked his previously undefeated team out of the medal hunt.

So he reacted the way any self-respecting basketball coach would under the circumstances. He made a fool of himself.

"I had a lot of respect for Larry Brown," Pesquera said through a translator. "Let me emphasize `had.'"

A bit later, he clarified his statement.

"I will continue to respect Larry Brown as a coach," he said. "But a trainee who has been up there with the best, like Dean Smith, would have never done anything like that."

The translation is a little fuzzy there. But I'm pretty sure Pesquera was taking another shot.

The Spanish media, who grumbled their approval at whatever he said, egged him on. You have to understand that this notion of an impartial press is peculiar to America. Journalists from many other countries openly root for their athletes while covering sporting events.

The Spanish press was indignant over Brown's time-out. They did not appear indignant that their team played like wimps on defense. They did not appear indignant that their team choked in the fourth quarter.

But that time-out? Their blood was percolating.

"I must have an explanation," one of them said to Brown during the press conference.

Brown said he originally was trying to get a time-out with more than a minute to play. But as the clock ticked down, he went over to the scorer's table and tried to cancel it. They wouldn't let him. Brown added that he tried to apologize to Pesquera.

Later, the Spanish coach was having none of it. He claimed Brown could have "annulled" the time-out by sending his players back onto the court immediately. Instead he "seized the moment to give instruction."

That rat!

During the ill-conceived time-out, a few players started jawing, gesturing and grabbing certain body parts. After the buzzer, the argument between the coaches escalated as Brown tried to explain what happened.

"It was like having a disagreement with my son," Brown said. "Sometimes, he doesn't let you explain. He didn't want to hear it. I tried to apologize. He kept saying something about the NBA. Again, I would never do anything to embarrass anybody."

But Pesquera would. And clearly he targeted himself.

"Are we playing under NBA rules or FIBA rules? There were multiple violations. I thought we were playing under FIBA (international) rules." Pesquera said. "Are we going to allow traveling? Tell us."

Keep going, Coach, you're making our guys look good. What did you think of drawing the U.S. in the first game of medal play?

"It is strange to take part in a competition that rewards teams that lose," he said in disgust.

What did you think of the anti-Americanism among the crowd of 14,500.

"I think the people were solidly behind the stronger team. We are the stronger team!"

Maybe this fellow is a genius. He had everyone worked up about a meaningless time-out. Meanwhile, nobody seemed concerned that Spain had just flamed out of the medal hunt.

Anyway, the U.S. can no longer be accused of being the biggest knucklehead on the block. The torch has been passed to Mario Pesquera, coach of Spain's Olympic basketball team.

When it comes to having a rotten image, our guys can now proudly chant: "We're No. 2! We're No. 2!"

smeagol
08-26-2004, 10:46 PM
How do you say "dumbass" in Spanish?

PESQUERA

LiLMissSPURFECT
08-26-2004, 11:26 PM
PENDEJO!!!!!!!!!!

:elephant

SpursWoman
08-26-2004, 11:35 PM
PENDEJO!!!!!!!!!!

I think that about sums it up. :lol :lol

Rick Von Braun
08-26-2004, 11:51 PM
The Spanish coach is completely classless... all that reaction based on a timeout... give me a break!

The only thing I could think of is that he was just saving face for the Spanish media... it is inexcusable anyway.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 12:36 AM
llorona!

TastesLikeChicken
08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
STUPID TUBBY BASTARD!!!!

(Sorry, I don't know spanish)

grjr
08-27-2004, 12:55 AM
I thought he ran over to the refs to thank them for keeping Spain in the game as long as they did.

jr

Whottt
08-27-2004, 01:17 AM
You have to understand that this notion of an impartial press is peculiar to America. Journalists from many other countries openly root for their athletes while covering sporting events

Um actually, the American press is hardly impartial a portion of
our press openly roots for other countries against the US as well...and not just in sports...but in sports just about every radio jockey on AM radio has been rooting against Team USA at these Olympics.

What's unique to America is a huge portion of it's press(present company exclused of course) that hates it's own country and tries to do every thing in it's power to put it in a negative light.

There's a reason that the population of every country with a shitty government hates America...a lot of it has to do with their press and ours.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Pesquera=Pussy

Tommy Duncan
08-27-2004, 01:37 AM
So that's where Asol gets it from.

Polandprzem
08-27-2004, 11:57 AM
As always.
Americans are saint. Everybody outside the states are nothing. YOU Americans disrespect every other nation. You see only from your own perspective.
Aspecialy politicians. 'If you are not with USA , you are enemy'.
That what I see. Every country have sportman who are swetting , working hard and so on.
Give them a credit. (that was something beyond this court situacion)

What Spanish coach did , wasn't nice.
But what I see with your comments?
That is also not nice.

:angel

Solid D
08-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Stick to lighting a fire under Pow GasHole.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Dude....no one is saying Americans are saints. You are now making things up to back up your own point. Hell, we put down our own more than anyone else does. As far as politicians go...well, the fact that most Americans can't stand them goes without saying! :p What the Spanish coach did was wrong, and we have a right to say something about it. Nobody in this thread posted anything like what you are saying. In fact, by you saying "YOU Americans" you are saying all of us. You are, in fact doing, what your are condemning us for.

Where exactly are we saying...

Everybody outside the states are nothing.

YOU Americans disrespect every other nation. You see only from your own perspective.

'If you are not with USA , you are enemy'.

I read the entire thread twice and nowhere did I see any of those statements.

Are you saying we don't have people at the games sweating and working hard?

Why the hate?

smeagol
08-27-2004, 12:53 PM
YOU Americans disrespect every other nation

I'm not an American.

And although there are many Americans who disrespect other countries (Walton and Sequ come to mind), you should not generalize.

Lastly, Mike is right. Nowhere in this thread people show disrespect toward a certain country. People are upset with the Spanish coach because he made an ass of himself both in the court and in the press conference.

Whottt
08-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Mikey give it up...it's not us that are ignorant of the European culture, it's they that are largely ignorant of ours.

They think they know but they don't know. They think it's our job to go and die in their wars, give them money, protect them..and they think it's their job to critique how well we are doing it. And then they call us arrogant. From day 1 they have looked at us like we are servants...and what infuriates them is the fact that we continually do the dirty work and come out the stronger for it. What drives them insane is that we aren't as stupid as they like to think we are, nor are we as dishonest and corrupt as they want us to be.

Poland here's how it works...our coach made a mistake..he tried to apologize and was met with beligerence and hostility for what was an honest mistake.

In America...if you offer someone an apology, over what was an honest mistake and they say **** you...that makes them an asshole.

The Spaniard assumed Larry Brown was attempting to show him up...when in fact it wasn't true...our country and our athletes have been breaking our fucking backs to represent ourselves well at these games and have had nothing but our athletes booed relentlessly...and been met with poor sportsmanship over things not our fault.

It was the Spaniard that prejudged, not Larry Brown. Larry Brown tried to aplogize.

As the Spanish coach said...an apology wasn't good enough for him...well that is a huge insult to us.

The mistake was unintentional..Larry Brown tried to apologize and it was thrown back in his face...what do you expect us to do after that?

And by the way...no country on planet earth gets disrespected more than America.

We have a different culture than Europe...that's just the way it is...and I assume much like you are proud of your culture, we are largely proud of ours.

gospurs21
08-27-2004, 01:18 PM
hey poland we're not here to be nice...we're here to kick ass and take the gold. If you can't deal with it...grow up. This is sport politics have nothing to do with it. But if you want more pull in the world become more important (I know it takes a lot of hard work but it's worth it). It my be harsh, but its the truth.

it's about time a journalist spoke the truth and backed our team. Since many in the American media have obiously abandoned them.

Polandprzem
08-28-2004, 04:05 AM
O.K I'm sorry for generalizing.

But you doing the same thing. Eurpeans this ,Europeans that.
Think about it.

It's not about this :gun

It's about - we all are people and living on the same planet.
I don't like that planet much.
But I must be on it. As all people.
We should have better world.
But we are getting pissed every time we don't like something. I'm trying to understand this whole thing. But It is not easy.

Whottt
08-28-2004, 05:37 AM
It's impossible to talk about cultures, as I was doing, without being general. It is a general classification. And my comments were accurate, there is a large difference in the cultures of Europe and and the Americas, and in particular US of America. You cannot ignore it or deny it.

And bottom line, that Spanish coach was a dickhead, I am going to say he was a dickhead, because it is the truth, and there is no defending what he did. **** him.

And I agree with the desire for Universal brotherhood...unfortunately there are others that don't share that view, that are violently opposed to that view and to ignore that is foolish.

Europeans have been warring with each other, conquering each other, trying to exterminate each other for millenia...the only thing they hate more than each other is America..and that's only right now...you should thank us for unifying Europe...and stop blaming us for all the Worlds problems. I can understand it in the middle east where America has been screwing around...where every country is ruled by a barbaric despot who is still stuck in the middle ages...but Europe should know better...

You guys turned us into warriors by involving us in your wars...by asking us to use our millitary power and money to hold off the Soveit Union...by alternately enlisting our aid in trying to gain control of the mid east or by attacking us because you feared our entry into the war.

In short you guys made us what we are...so you may as well stop judging us.

Polandprzem
08-28-2004, 02:26 PM
So well you can judge everybody?

I understand your point of view.

But , hey YOU are not kings of the world.

Who was asking for war in Afganistan?
Now Iraq??
Maybe it was right.

I don't think so.

Why?

Because war is never a good choice of solving problems.

All in all - people killing each other. And killing themselves.
Armagedon time is near- humans will cause it ofcourse.

I dont' realy blame natitons for this. I blame concrete (if it's correct word) people. And yes - many of them are with us on that planet.

Maybe we should talk about basketball because it's basketball forum?