PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest moves in the NBA 2005-06

CubanMustGo
04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
What do you think were the stupidest moves in the league this year? I'll give you a few to get things started, no doubt there are plenty more where these came from:

1. Anything involving Isiah Thomas (this could be a whole thread by itself)
2. Nate McMillan leaves the Sonics for the Jail...TrailBlazers head job
3. Sonics hire Bob "Why" Weiss
4. Sonics replace Weiss with Bob "Still bitter after all these years" Hill [replacing Weiss, smart. Replacing him with Hill? well ...]

Vizzini
04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
Latrell Spreewell turning down 3 years and 21 million dollars, all because he needed more to "feed his family". Absolutley ridiculous.

Steve T
04-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Not counting the Isiah Thomas stuff because that is just too easy I would say (in no particular order):

1) The Hawks drafting yet another 2-3 in Marvin Williams and passing up on a solid PG like Chris Paul.
2) The Heat trading or not signing their best three point shooters (Eddie Jones and Damon Jones, respectively) and adding a chucker like Antoine Walker. IMO, this lessens the effectiveness of Wades drives and Shaqs down low play.
3) Nate McMillan leaving Seattle to coach Portland (as someone else already mentioned.)

Darrin
04-03-2006, 05:04 PM
- Isiah Thomas has the top-three blunders of this season, but it boils down to this: he didn't give Larry Brown the players to execute his gameplan, and he mortgaged the long-term future of the franchise for some overrated players.

- In ten years, we are going to wonder why Chris Paul wasn't drafted over Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, and Deron Williams. The team we will come down hardest on resides in Atlanta.

- Atlanta had a bad offseason. Their considerable cap room would be better served if the Hawks hadn't soaked so much into Joe Johnson, and just let Boris Diaw play basketball.

- Trading Ricky Davis for Wally Szcerbiak - this is an overall problem with the 2005 offseason and mid-season moves: everyone seems to just be shuffling the deck, not improving their team.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Nate didn't make a stupid move - the Sonics new owners were going to lowball him. He just needs to get rid of Miles and he should be fine. Zeke should help out there.

Bob Hill is doing pretty well. The star and the kids like him.

After the Hawks' getting another tweener, Utah's choice of Deron Williams over Paul or Ray Felton was ridiculous.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Stupidest move in the NBA 2005-06: the NBA and press not recognizing and promoting the iron-clad and oiled machine that is the Spurs. I'm sick of that shit. The Spurs could singlehandedly "save" the NBA from all the BS Stern is trying to move away from, i.e. ghetto-licious ballas, and [/I]playas; horrible basketball games, lack of fundamentals and character in "stars"; guns on planes; fights with fans.....All of that bullshit that is the NBA. At least we realize what we have down her in south-central Texas.

Vizzini
04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
At least we realize what we have down her in south-central Texas.

We realize it in Michigan too... Selfless stars all sacrificing for one common goal. Why is it that only two teams in the league, who are the most sucessful BTW, realize that this is how you win championships? When will they learn...

Also, that poor slut kidnapped herself.

Obstructed_View
04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
The NBA should have been promoting the good things about the Pistons and the Spurs all this season. A rematch in the Finals is going to be dismal on the ratings again, no matter how good the series turned out to be.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
The NBA should have been promoting the good things about the Pistons and the Spurs all this season. A rematch in the Finals is going to be dismal on the ratings again, no matter how good the series turned out to be.

The sad part is that it doesn't have to be. Vote Obstructed View for Commish. (I call President!)

JamStone
04-04-2006, 12:12 PM
1. Players wearing tights as a fashion statement.
2. The NBA prospectively banning said tights as a power move over the players.
3. The dress code ... it's a complete joke, and is not followed a lot of the times by many players, but I have yet to hear a player to be reprimanded for it.
4. Ron Artest saying he wanted to stay in Indiana after he publicly asked for a trade.
5. Trading Caron Butler for Kwame Brown ... ooooops!
6. Trading Mike James for Rafer Alston ... ooooooooooops!
7. Kobe elbowing Mike Miller in the throat ... anyone who didn't believe that Kobe had the anger and power mentality to sexually assault someone, look at Kobe's eyes after getting hit hard by Miller and look at how he reacted.
8. Bill Walton switching boyfriends from Jason Kidd to Dwyane Wade and drooling all over his mic.
9. The birdman ... so was it heroine or PCP? I just don't buy that it was just marijuana.
10. Not only trading Sam Cassell for Marko Jaric, but giving the Clippers a first round draft pick on top of it.
11. Nate Robinson taking 3,481 tries to finish one dunk in the dunk contest.
12. Rasheed getting a technical foul for laughing at a player ... now a lot of his technical fouls are deserved, but for LAUGHING? He wasn't even laughing at the officials. He was laughing at Zydrunas Ilgauskas' attempt at a hard foul.
13. One of the first games of the seasons in Boston, Mark Blount hits a jumper to put the Celtics up by one point over the Pistons with 0.3 seconds left in the game. The crowd goes crazy. Celtics players pile on each other with elated smiles on their faces. Detroit calls time-out, sets up a play with those 0.3 seconds left, diagrams NOT A LOB AT THE RIM but a curl play for a jumpshot. Ricky Davis gaffs on a soft pick and Rip Hamilton scores the winning 17-footer. The Boston crowd is speechless, silent, with their collective jaw on the floor. 0.3 seconds. I'm sure there are other games this season with similar endings, but being a Pistons fan, I thought this was funny. Boston's defense and early celebration was rather stupid to me.
14. Grant Hill's doctors, trainers, medical staff ...
15. Shaquille O'Neal still being fat and injury proned.

JamStone
04-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Stupidest move in the NBA 2005-06: the NBA and press not recognizing and promoting the iron-clad and oiled machine that is the Spurs. I'm sick of that shit. The Spurs could singlehandedly "save" the NBA from all the BS Stern is trying to move away from, i.e. ghetto-licious ballas, and [/I]playas; horrible basketball games, lack of fundamentals and character in "stars"; guns on planes; fights with fans.....All of that bullshit that is the NBA. At least we realize what we have down her in south-central Texas.

Tony Parker's desperate girlfriend completely takes away the idea that any promotion of the Spurs could be done without sensationalizing it with Hollywood gossip like non-basketball stories.

kobe_bryant
04-04-2006, 01:36 PM
the dress code

kobe_bryant
04-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Me passing the ball to the scrubs on my team. I got mad love for my boy LO

mavsfan1000
04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Me passing the ball to the scrubs on my team. I got mad love for my boy LO
:lol You should learn not to pass man. It hurts your team. :lol

JamStone
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM

The Mavs know all about Kobe NOT passing the ball, as evidence by the 62 points KB dropped on them in three quarters of work.

mavsfan1000
04-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Than he plays his worst game of the season against the mavs the next time they played. 5-22. :lol

JamStone
04-04-2006, 03:37 PM
LOL ... dammm Kobe should have passed it more that game. :rollin

Bruno
04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Araujo+Darko for Kato+1st is quite a bad trade for Detroit.
It's not Dumars' fault but the Darko story has been a fiasco and there isn't a good solution available to end it.

JamStone
04-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Araujo+Darko for Kato+1st is quite a bad trade for Detroit.
It's not Dumars' fault but the Darko story has been a fiasco and there isn't a good solution available to end it.

Bad move? Sure, that's arguable.

One of the "stupidest" moves? Hardly. Joe Dumars realized that Darko would not develop as a Detroit Piston with the limited to no playing time. He made the trade to not only help clear cap space for the team to re-sign Ben and Chauncey, but Dumars did it for Darko so he could get playing time and have the opportunity to play through mistakes. It was actually a considerate move.

Dumars still believed that Darko could be a very good player in this league, but just not as a Piston. Either way, if Darko started putting up good numbers or if he still was very bad in Orlando, it would be perceived as a bad move on Joe Dumars' part because he either should have kept him or he was still a bust. I personally think that Larry Brown probably hurt Darko's development. But, whatever the reason, trading Darko was not a "stupid" move because Dumars did it in order to help the team keep Ben Wallace and Chauncey Billups.

And, by the way, his name is "Arroyo" not "Araujo." Araujo is the Brazilian center in Toronto.

Bruno
04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Yes, it was stupid.
The trade isn't stupid but waiting two years and a half (when his stock was at an all time low) before trading him was stupid.
At the end of his rookie year, there were WallaceČ and McDyess in Detroit : keeping him was stupid. You can't develop your play when you don't have any playtime.

Sorry for Arroyo, Araujo is a real scrub, Arooyo can be quite good.

JamStone
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Joe believed that Darko could earn at least 10 "meaningful" minutes a game of playing time during this season. Had Darko not sulked and worked hard enough to earn those minutes, then Darko would still be on the team. He didn't. Joe waited because he believed Darko could do it. It's only a stupid move in retrospect because Darko did not earn his minutes. Hardly a stupid move to give Darko (20 years old) yet another chance to earn his salary.

kobe_bryant
04-04-2006, 06:00 PM

what was the score after 3rd Q when i went off for 62 points?
Dumb Bitch

Dre_7
04-05-2006, 01:11 AM
13. One of the first games of the seasons in Boston, Mark Blount hits a jumper to put the Celtics up by one point over the Pistons with 0.3 seconds left in the game. The crowd goes crazy. Celtics players pile on each other with elated smiles on their faces. Detroit calls time-out, sets up a play with those 0.3 seconds left, diagrams NOT A LOB AT THE RIM but a curl play for a jumpshot. Ricky Davis gaffs on a soft pick and Rip Hamilton scores the winning 17-footer. The Boston crowd is speechless, silent, with their collective jaw on the floor. 0.3 seconds. I'm sure there are other games this season with similar endings, but being a Pistons fan, I thought this was funny. Boston's defense and early celebration was rather stupid to me.

Are you sure it was 0.3? I thought it was 0.7. Its not even possible to shoot a jumper with 0.3 left.

Dre_7
04-05-2006, 01:13 AM
- Isiah Thomas has the top-three blunders of this season, but it boils down to this: he didn't give Larry Brown the players to execute his gameplan, and he mortgaged the long-term future of the franchise for some overrated players.

- In ten years, we are going to wonder why Chris Paul wasn't drafted over Andrew Bogut, Marvin Williams, and Deron Williams. The team we will come down hardest on resides in Atlanta.

- Atlanta had a bad offseason. Their considerable cap room would be better served if the Hawks hadn't soaked so much into Joe Johnson, and just let Boris Diaw play basketball.

- Trading Ricky Davis for Wally Szcerbiak - this is an overall problem with the 2005 offseason and mid-season moves: everyone seems to just be shuffling the deck, not improving their team.

I agree with everything there, except, I think Bogut will be the best player out of the draft. Followed by Paul.

melo061
04-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Than he plays his worst game of the season against the mavs the next time they played. 5-22. :lol

And? He still dropped 62 and 43 on the mavs. He embarassed you're franchise in staples and in Dallas.

mavsfan1000
04-05-2006, 05:35 AM
Well Kobe is a very streaky shooter. He either is real bad or real good for his team on nights. Dallas looked pretty tired that night Kobe got 62. They looked like they gave up in the first half. Embarrassing the francise? That is a little overdramatic considering it was 1 game and he did worse to Toronto.

jochhejaam
04-05-2006, 06:37 AM
Latrell Spreewell turning down 3 years and 21 million dollars, all because he needed more to "feed his family". Absolutley ridiculous.

Speaking of Sprewell...

Updated: March 28, 2006
Searching for Sprewell: An encounter, but no answersBy Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider
Archive

RIVER HILLS, Wis. -- Latrell Sprewell answered his front door with his face contorted into his unmistakable scowl, his anger barely under control as he made it clear he was not accepting visitors and was in no mood to talk.

"Get off my property right now or I'll send someone out there to take your head off!"

So ended the briefest of encounters early Sunday afternoon a few miles north of downtown Milwaukee, the biggest mystery of the NBA season no closer to being explained by the only person who has any of the answers.

Inside the sprawling yellow brick home with the massive wooden jungle gym in the backyard resides the best basketball player in the world without a job, an athlete who could help some team win an NBA championship three months from now if it could just get a reading on whether he's willing and/or able to set aside his shame and lace 'em up for the first time since the Minnesota Timberwolves played their final game last season.

Not a single word has been spoken publicly in almost a year by Sprewell, whose agent heard from the San Antonio Spurs and the Dallas Mavericks earlier in March, each of the Western Conference's top teams making inquiries about the former All-Star whose mercurial ways have made him one of the most controversial players of the past decade.

Seeking some answers, ESPN.com reached out to Sprewell through his agent and his publicist, as well as through voice mails on his cell phone, before resorting to the oldest reporting technique in the book -- showing up on his doorstep in the hopes that the sight of a familiar face from his days in New York might coax him into providing some sort of insight into whether he's considering a return to the NBA before this season ends.

Under collective bargaining rules, Sprewell can sign with any playoff-bound team up until the last day of the season and still be eligible for the postseason. (Players who already were on NBA rosters but who were waived in-season must have been waived by March 1 to be playoff-eligible.)

That rule was brought to Sprewell's attention by the NBA players union last week, but what -- if anything -- he plans to do with that knowledge is unknown.

The deep thump-thump-thump of a woofer-fueled bass line was causing the windows in Sprewell's front foyer to shimmer as he answered his door on the third ring wearing a sleeveless T-shirt and sweat pants. His order to skedaddle was heeded without hesitation or argument.

"Watch out for the dogs," a Bucks scout had warned.

But judging by Sprewell's demeanor and his growl, the biggest threat to life and limb was standing on two legs, not four. Good luck to the next Jehovah's Witness who tries to engage him in a friendly discussion of the Bible.

"I have no idea what's driving Latrell. I can't figure it out, and he doesn't articulate what he's thinking," said Robert Gist, Sprewell's longtime agent.

The Mavericks called about two weeks ago when they were dealing with a flurry of injuries.

"He said he would call back the next day. He never did. So we dropped the idea," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said via e-mail.

The Spurs also put in a call to Gist's office about a month ago, though nothing came of it.

"These teams recognize Latrell's value, and they've gone to their top players to ask them whether Spree would be a good fit," Gist said.

Sprewell made $14.6 million last season in the final year of a contract he signed after rehabilitating while with the New York Knicks. Sprewell led the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals after serving a 70-game suspension for his attack on former Golden State coach P.J. Carlesimo early in the 1997-98 season.

After turning down a three-year $21-million extension from the Timberwolves, explaining he had "a family to feed," Sprewell went unsigned last summer as an unrestricted free agent.

According to Gist, Sprewell made the mistake of waiting on the Los Angeles Lakers at a time when the Houston Rockets, Denver Nuggets, Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers all were expressing interest in signing him. But the Timberwolves and Lakers were unable to agree on a sign-and-trade deal that would satisfy both teams, and then other teams turned to other free agents. So by the time training camps started, Sprewell's only choice was to play for the veteran's minimum, which he feels is beneath him.

"It may have been the transition, going from making $14.6 million to $1 million because the rules say you're only worth this much. Making that adjustment probably took some time," said Gist, who believes Sprewell's pride -- and his hesitance to subject himself to public second-guessing over his "family to feed" quote -- is part of what's keeping Sprewell from returning to the NBA.

DET
04-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Chris Paul is a good player but a shooting point guard. If you prefer these types of guards, then fine. I personally prefer a "passing point guard" that will allow everyone to get involved. So players like Nash, Kidd, Stockton, Magic and Deron Williams would always make my team. Go ahead and take the Stephon Marbury, Iverson, Steve Francis, and Chris Paul's, these types never win a championship or get close. Also remember that Deron Williams is playing for Sloan. He will not give a young rookie a free pass to do what he wants.

Darrin
04-05-2006, 08:13 PM

I think that the NBA has taken the attitude that only basketball purists will appreciate the Pistons and Spurs. That means the NBA can promote its other great players and teams like Lebron James and the Phoenix Suns because they appeal to more casual fans, fans that have to be convinced to watch basketball which the purists don't have to be,

I'm tired of hearing about Cleveland, New Jersey, Dallas, Sacramento, and Phoenix, but when the money time comes around, people will be talking about the Spurs and Pistons winning the title, with an outside chance Miami and Dallas could win. I think the NBA has learned that success and promotion leads to over-exposure.

sickdsm
04-07-2006, 06:58 PM
1. Players wearing tights as a fashion statement.

Its not a fashion statement. They know they look rediculous in them.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 10:05 AM
I think that the NBA has taken the attitude that only basketball purists will appreciate the Pistons and Spurs. That means the NBA can promote its other great players and teams like Lebron James and the Phoenix Suns because they appeal to more casual fans, fans that have to be convinced to watch basketball which the purists don't have to be,

I'm tired of hearing about Cleveland, New Jersey, Dallas, Sacramento, and Phoenix, but when the money time comes around, people will be talking about the Spurs and Pistons winning the title, with an outside chance Miami and Dallas could win. I think the NBA has learned that success and promotion leads to over-exposure.
Suggesting that the concepts of team basketball, high percentage shots, execution, passing, and defense are only appreciated by "NBA purists" is the first mistake that most people, including the NBA, make. I'm not sure why someone would think that TMac making one spectacular dunk is worth watching the drudgery that is the Rockets for two hours. While I agree that Phoenix is fun to watch for a game or two, the NBA could teach viewers what to watch for in order to appreciate some of the finer points of basketball. Fans of other sports are typically very knowledgable about the game. Even high school and college basketball fans seem to understand the game better than the average NBA fan. The NBA should make an effort to rectify that situation.

In addition, the NBA needs to work with ESPN and the other media outlets to dispel the notions that Detroit and San Antonio play boring basketball. Telling ESPN to drop the east-coast bias would help ratings as well. The Knicks and Lakers aren't going to meet in the Finals any time soon.

BillsCarnage
04-10-2006, 02:37 PM
The pissing fiasco between Sarver and Colangelo at the trade deadline. They were too busy bickering that they forgot to address the teams needs.

JMarkJohns
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
The pissing fiasco between Sarver and Colangelo at the trade deadline. They were too busy bickering that they forgot to address the teams needs.

Two fold. First this, then Sarvar allowing BC to walk, getting no compensation for a could be two-time executive of the year.

Sacramental
04-10-2006, 03:12 PM
the thing damon jones does with his hands after hitting a three.

BillsCarnage
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Two fold. First this, then Sarvar allowing BC to walk, getting no compensation for a could be two-time executive of the year.

Because he didn't feel comforable asking for it... Nothing like a newb owner learning the ropes while the team is trying to make a title run.

Darrin
04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Suggesting that the concepts of team basketball, high percentage shots, execution, passing, and defense are only appreciated by "NBA purists" is the first mistake that most people, including the NBA, make. I'm not sure why someone would think that TMac making one spectacular dunk is worth watching the drudgery that is the Rockets for two hours. While I agree that Phoenix is fun to watch for a game or two, the NBA could teach viewers what to watch for in order to appreciate some of the finer points of basketball. Fans of other sports are typically very knowledgable about the game. Even high school and college basketball fans seem to understand the game better than the average NBA fan. The NBA should make an effort to rectify that situation.

In addition, the NBA needs to work with ESPN and the other media outlets to dispel the notions that Detroit and San Antonio play boring basketball. Telling ESPN to drop the east-coast bias would help ratings as well. The Knicks and Lakers aren't going to meet in the Finals any time soon.

I couldn't agree with you more. But go into the chatrooms of the Sixers, Heat, Lakers, and Blazers to make those arguments, and they will argue just as passionately for T-Mac and that Rockets game. I miss some of the things that TNT started doing. For instance, they had this graphic where they would take a bread-and-butter play by looking at the Xs and Os of it on a stardard sideline chalkboard. This didn't last long (it started in 2002-03) and I don't know why they stopped.

People seem more interested in stats and storylines than the actual basketball game. How many times did ABC mention Ben Wallace's refusing to re-enter the game?

I don't usually have NBA TV, but when I do, I stop watching ESPN all together. It was eerie for someone who usually catches about 3 hours of their programming a day. They do a much better job; showing old games, NBDL action, and overseas affairs. I;ve had it for the past week after losing my subscription in November, and I have to say it has improved tenfold.

I doubt the NBA has a lot of control over the programming and opinions expressed on ESPN. They are partners with Time Warner in NBA TV.

Obstructed_View
04-10-2006, 11:55 PM
But go into the chatrooms of the Sixers, Heat, Lakers, and Blazers to make those arguments, and they will argue just as passionately for T-Mac and that Rockets game.

There's a mistake right there. The Sixers fans think Iverson taking 30 shots a game is interesting. The only banner hanging in Miami is for an opposing player, the Lakers think whatever they are currently doing is innovative, and the Blazers think Mo Cheeks was the reason they sucked last year.

SenorSpur
04-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Not counting the Isiah Thomas stuff because that is just too easy I would say (in no particular order):

1) The Hawks drafting yet another 2-3 in Marvin Williams and passing up on a solid PG like Chris Paul.

IMO, this one IS, without question, the stupidest move of the year

Obstructed_View
04-13-2006, 06:27 PM
IMO, this one IS, without question, the stupidest move of the year
Not really. If Paul had been drafted by the Hawks he would have sucked, and then had a breakout season when he signed his first contract with someone else. Atlanta is where talent goes to die.