PDA

View Full Version : Will Sheed cost Detroit the best record?

tlongII
04-03-2006, 03:32 PM
He was suspended for 1 game after receiving his 16th technical foul and will be suspended one game for every 2 additional technicals he receives. Detroit will struggle against good teams without him.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
We only have 9 games left. This will not hurt us. Might we lose the one game he is suspended for? Maybe..Maybe not. And anyways, Dice, Dale Davis and Kato could use the minutes.

NCaliSpurs
04-03-2006, 03:38 PM
The pistons have probably the deepest team in the League, especially up front.

Dice is a monster still. So no. He will not cost them HCA.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-03-2006, 03:45 PM
It's possible, but not very likely at all. What I want to know is how many techs Sheed is allowed in the playoffs? If he uses all his up in the first 3 rounds it could help if we end up meeting in the finals. :)

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 03:46 PM
It's possible, but not very likely at all. What I want to know is how many techs Sheed is allowed in the playoffs? If he uses all his up in the first 3 rounds it could help if we end up meeting in the finals. :)

If I remember correctly, the magic number is 7 in the playoffs. On the 7th Tech, you are suspended for one game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
I thought it was 8, but if Rasheed is picking up techs at that pace in the playoffs he's probably doing more harm than good for his team anyways.

Vizzini
04-03-2006, 03:48 PM
They play the Hornets at home Tuesday, and they won't need him to beat them. It will be nice to see Kato and Davis get in there and get some time. I also think that Flip might use both of them (Davis and Kato) against one-legged Shaq and the Heat on Thursday, well at least I hope he does. Sheed went a long time w/o getting a tech, almost three weeks I believe, so I think he will be all right for the end of the regular season. All they need is seven more wins for HCA, so hopefully he will tone it down just a bit.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Shaq will not play much in the last few weeks. Riley will invent those so-called injuries to rest the big fella...

samikeyp
04-03-2006, 04:00 PM
No.

Tanya
04-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Both SA and DET have 9 games left. SA have to go 9-0 to have the HCA. DET need 6-3. It's not so hard for them to achieve 6-3 with or without Sheed.

mikejones99
04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
They have a easy schedule and a big enough lead that it will not hurt them. They are 2nd deepest team in the league.

JamStone
04-03-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't think the Hornets will be a gimme win for the Pistons. The Hornets are playing for a playoff spot. The Pistons should win, but I've seen the Pistons lose to Atlanta and Utah twice this season, so you just never know.

Should the Pistons somehow lose to the Hornets and Rasheed gets another suspension, it is entirely possible that he costs the Pistons HCA. It's unlikely, but entirely possible.

I don't think the Pistons are the second deepest team in the league. I think Dallas (as banged up as they are), San Antonio, Indiana, Memphis, and Miami are all deeper teams.

nkdlunch
04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
maybe. he already cost them game 5 of last finals.... :smokin

Steve T
04-03-2006, 04:22 PM
A few quick notes.

1) In the Playoffs the first suspension is for the 7th technical. And there is a suspension for every other tech (9, 11, 13, etc.) after that.
2) Last season Rasheed had nine in the playoffs. However, the Pistons tied a league record for most playoff games with twenty-five and that most likely will not happen again this season.
3) In a somewhat surprising decision Flip Saunders has elected to start Dale Davis on Tuesday against the Hornets apparently McDyess isn't comfortable with starting.

I don't think this will cost the Pistons homecourt advantage but it is possible. They have nine remaining games with four on the road and five against playoff teams. While San Antonio has nine remaining games with three on the road and three against playoff teams (all at home, btw.) So the Spurs certainly have the easier schedule, IMO.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Welcome aboard Steve T. Nice av, and great first post.

leemajors
04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
wow, dale davis with the start?

ducks
04-03-2006, 04:48 PM
dale davis will start because flip does not want to mess up the rotations

FreshPrince22
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
With Dice playing the way he is.... No. Dice > Sheed the last 12 or so games.

Dale will start, but Dice will come in early, and he'll play a bulk of the minutes. We need his scoring with the bench unit.

Dunc
04-03-2006, 06:05 PM
No, Sheed won't cost us HCA. As many times as he's been a non-factor this season, I think we can handle one game without him out there. And I'm glad that it's this game he's missing instead of the Miami game.

Also, it'll be Dale Davis starting. Dice doesn't want to start and mess with his own routine, but he'll probably get 30 minutes or so. Maybe Cato will play a few minutes.

Nbadan
04-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I think last season helped prove that HCA mean little in the Finals. I'm still saying the healthier team wins.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 06:12 PM
I wonder if we'll get to see Maxiell play any.

Dunc
04-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I'd actually rather see Max play than Cato. Max will actually be with the team next year, while Cato will not.

FreshPrince22
04-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I think last season helped prove that HCA mean little in the Finals.

:huh Why, because the average margin of victory was probably somewhere in the high teens to low-20s for the home team?

Juice
04-03-2006, 06:41 PM
Game 5 in Detriot the Spurs won in OT, thanks to big-shot Rob, was the clincher.

Dre_7
04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Wow. I never thought Id say this, but I agree with Nbadan. People are making too much of the HCA in last years Finals. SA didnt win because of home court. They won because of game 5! They won in Detroit and thats why they won the series. If they lose game 5, Detroit wins the series and no one is even talking about HCA in the Finals.

FreshPrince22
04-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I wonder if we'll get to see Maxiell play any.

I doubt it. Max is inactive and I don't think you can replace Sheed while he's suspended. Flip doesn't have the balls to play him.

FreshPrince22
04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Game 5 in Detriot the Spurs won in OT, thanks to big-shot Rob, was the clincher.

Sorry buddy, Game 7 was the clincher. Game 5 was a big game, but it was having game 7 in San Antonio that really burned the Pistons.

Think about it like this... If you have HCA, you can just win out your home games and take the series. If you take one on the road, then great, you've got a little breathing space. If you don't have HCA, not only do you HAVE to win all of your home games, but you also HAVE to steal one on the road. Then consider that only one team in NBA history has won out their home games in the 2-3-2 without HCA.

The Pistons are 31-3 at home and 26-11 on the road.
The Spurs are 31-4 at home and 26-12 on the road.

Don't try to make it seem like there's no difference. These teams are very tough to beat at home. It can be done, but you'd much rather not HAVE to do it. Especially with how even these teams are. It took a total mental collapse from Sheed and an amazing shot for the Spurs to take one at the Palace last year.

Dre_7
04-03-2006, 07:02 PM
I just dont like the fans that say "We lost cuz we didnt have home court advantage."

No, you lost because the Spurs beat you! Plain and simple.

Dunc
04-03-2006, 07:06 PM
HCA wasn't the only factor. But it was a factor. Think of it this way. Both of our teams only lost once at home, and the Spurs won the championship. You want any edge you can get in the Finals, right? So why underestimate something like HCA? Between us, we have 7 losses at home this year. That's sick. You want to play somewhere you win 90% of your games, and to say that you don't want or care about that edge is ridiculous. Again, HCA isn't the only thing, but it's a big thing.

Dre_7
04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
HCA wasn't the only factor. But it was a factor. Think of it this way. Both of our teams only lost once at home, and the Spurs won the championship. You want any edge you can get in the Finals, right? So why underestimate something like HCA? Between us, we have 7 losses at home this year. That's sick. You want to play somewhere you win 90% of your games, and to say that you don't want or care about that edge is ridiculous. Again, HCA isn't the only thing, but it's a big thing.

Win game 5 and HCA means nothing.

Dunc
04-03-2006, 07:19 PM
Win the first 4 and HCA means nothing. Split games 1 and 2 and HCA means nothing. Split games 1 through 4 and HCA is renewed. Split games 1 through 6? HCA is very important. A reminder: HCA is "Home Court Advantage". You want every advantage you can get. If you don't get it, it's not the end of the world, but you want it.

CubanMustGo
04-03-2006, 07:32 PM
No way Sheed's absence from this game (and maybe one more) will cost the Pistons HCA. Are you :smokin ??

NCaliSpurs
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
You can't judge these things in a vacuum. The Spurs lost game 6 with the knowledge that they had ANOTHER game at HOME. They didn't play with the edge they needed, and they lost. Plain and simple. Hell, they went to 6 games with the Sonics for chrissakes, and they almost lost that one.

In the end, they were the better team. Home-court or not. If they are the better team this year, then they will win the Championship. If not, then hats off to the Heat.

Dunc
04-03-2006, 09:12 PM
You can't judge these things in a vacuum. The Spurs lost game 6 with the knowledge that they had ANOTHER game at HOME. They didn't play with the edge they needed, and they lost. Plain and simple. Hell, they went to 6 games with the Sonics for chrissakes, and they almost lost that one.

In the end, they were the better team. Home-court or not. If they are the better team this year, then they will win the Championship. If not, then hats off to the Heat.

The Heat? You gotta be kidding me. It's gonna be the Nets, man.

Jimcs50
04-03-2006, 09:47 PM
What is unbelievable is, the Pistons will play their first game without their same starting five when Sheed misses this game.

Question:

Would the Spurs have the best record, had they had the same starting 5 all year w/o any injuries, like Detroit has has the fortune of having?

I say yes.

I can not ever remember a team go through a season with all starters start every game. Detroit is really lucky. I think this is the start of them falling down a notch or two, because they have never had any adversity up til now.

Dre_7
04-03-2006, 09:48 PM
What is unbelievable is, the Pistons will play their first game without their same starting five when Sheed misses this game.

Question:

Would the Spurs have the best record, had they had the same starting 5 all year w/o any injuries, like Detroit has has the fortune of having?

I say yes.

I can not ever remember a team go through a season with all starters start every game. Detroit is really lucky. I think this is the start of them falling down a notch or two, because they have never had any adversity up til now.

If SA is completely healthy, they are the best team in the NBA. With out a doubt. unfortunately, injuries are a part of the game.

CubanMustGo
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I think this is the start of them falling down a notch or two, because they have never had any adversity up til now.

A one-game suspension = adversity?

DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
SPURS HOMER APPROACHING!

bdubya
04-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Detroit is really lucky. I think this is the start of them falling down a notch or two, because they have never had any adversity up til now.

If there's one person in the world I wanted to hear that from, it's Jim"Phoenix is killing Detroit"cs50. God bless you, man.

04-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Just wait until the Pistons start making key opposition players get injured. Then they'll be really lucky...

04-03-2006, 09:52 PM
If there's one person in the world I wanted to hear that from, it's Jim"Phoenix is killing Detroit"cs50. God bless you, man.

:tu :tu

DarkReign
04-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Just wait until the Pistons start making key opposition players get injured. Then they'll be really lucky...

I just cant stop quoting you. Wait for them to cry because they have injury prone players. You signed those kind of players. The Pistons have habit of being healthy, it isnt like this is the first year where their starters play almost all games, etc.

Get used to it. Your aged. Theyre young(ish). Theyre healthy. Youre not.

It sucks, but you didnt put together a team that stresses defense and energy stocked with an aging bench and a hobbled superstar.

Buddy Holly
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Wow... I think there are more Pistons fans talking Pistons buisness on a Spurs fan forum than there are on an actual Pistons fan forum.

Sad.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
It sucks, but you didnt put together a team that stresses defense and energy stocked with an aging bench and a hobbled superstar.
That "hobbled superstar" knocked your team's ass out of the playoffs last year.

04-03-2006, 11:44 PM

And here I thought he was talking about Miami...

Winnipeg_Spur
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Fuck. I guess that proves how poorly I think about the Spurs. :depressed

I read hobbled superstar and immediately think of Duncan, instead of someone who really fits that description. :oops

Tanya
04-04-2006, 01:52 AM
HCA is important. It's not important only if your team is much better than the pistons.

Some spurs fans are too sensitive. We are just trying to say HCA is a factor in the playoffs. No one is trying to take anything away from the defending champion. Seven games if you can play 4 at your home wouldn't that be great? It's just common sense. We are not saying the pistons would've won if they had HCA last year, but let's talk about this year, they only have lost three games at home so far. They came back from double figure deficit against elite teams like MIA, DAL and PHX at their homecourt. When they play in the playoffs they need momentum and mental toughness so playing at home really helps.
I don't know if there will be game 7 this year. If that happens, HCA really means alot. Who doesn't want to play game 7 at their own place, surrounding by their own fans?

slayermin
04-04-2006, 02:27 AM
I think HCA was a huge factor last season. But if both teams do face each other in the Finals this year, the HCA will be diminished a little.

The Spurs received some harsh lessons in Games 3 and 4. That should scare them into being ready. Also, there is quite a bit of pressure and distractions to defend homecourt the first two games. We will see how the Pistons handle it, if everything plays out and face each other.

Vinnie_Johnson
04-04-2006, 08:28 AM
HCA is huge don't kid yourself's..

Jimcs50
04-04-2006, 08:37 AM

Check out my name. I do not get the name Nostradamus for nothing, you know. You team is doomed.
:smokin

1Parker1
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
^:rolleyes Jim, in light of your recent thread jinxers, I think it's time to get rid of the Nostradamus title.

:)

Jimcs50
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
^:rolleyes Jim, in light of your recent thread jinxers, I think it's time to get rid of the Nostradamus title.

:)

ahem

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37780

1Parker1
04-04-2006, 09:01 AM
^Puh-Leeze, even I predicted a Florida win...and that's college basketball. I think you're just a NBA jinxer. :)

Jimcs50
04-04-2006, 09:03 AM
^Puh-Leeze, even I predicted a Florida win...and that's college basketball. I think you're just a NBA jinxer. :)

Ok, to prove you are wrong, I am going to predict that SA wins the championship this year.

1Parker1
04-04-2006, 09:06 AM
^:flipoff Great going. Do you not understand the whole definition of jinxing??? Now the Spurs won't win it! :lol

ABDENOUR POWER
04-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok, to prove you are wrong, I am going to predict that SA wins the championship this year.

THANK YOU!

1Parker1
04-04-2006, 09:30 AM
THANK YOU!

:bang

GrandeDavid
04-04-2006, 09:58 AM
No way. Too few games left. He won't lose his head enough to cost them something so important. Face it, Spurs fans, our team is going on the road for Games 1 and 2 of Finals, assuming the Spurs and Pistons make it that far.

CubanMustGo
04-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Time to get out the :ban:

x0xbillupsx0x
04-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Wow. I never thought Id say this, but I agree with Nbadan. People are making too much of the HCA in last years Finals. SA didnt win because of home court. They won because of game 5! They won in Detroit and thats why they won the series. If they lose game 5, Detroit wins the series and no one is even talking about HCA in the Finals.
spurs won it within 4 minutes of 4th quater game 7 when duncan charged prince they called a charge then changed the call after duncan whined about the clear charge call !if pistons were at home it woulda been called what it shoulda been a charge and no basket!
but thats the luxury of HCA

DarkReign
04-04-2006, 02:38 PM

No he didnt. Manu and Horry did. Dont kid yourself. Manu got robbed of Finals MVP. Manu was your sole reason. Horry just about turned the clock back 5-6 years and started dunking endlessly.

Those 2 were the reasons. yeah yeah, Duncan had stats, but he had no impact in a close game. When SA needed points, it wasnt Duncan getting it done.

BTW, I love TD. I have stated that many times before. But if TD is your motor, Manu is your fuel.