PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting Dallas to sign Kemp...

AceProfits
04-03-2006, 07:31 PM
I am sure this now will get all these sad Maverick fans in an uproar. They will start telling us how this will now put them over the top of the spurs!
Maybe the 300LB Kemp will sit on all of our starting 5 and take them out of commishion!? :blah

T Park
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
no way.....

ShoogarBear
04-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Pretty funny if it's true.

leemajors
04-03-2006, 07:36 PM
they couldn't use him for the playoffs unless the NBA granted them that injury exception...

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
The story has been in the NBA forum all day. I believe it's true.

Supposedly he weighs 260 these days.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
they couldn't use him for the playoffs unless the NBA granted them that injury exception...

Why couldn't they use him in the playoffs? He hasn't played in the NBA this year.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Why couldn't they use him in the playoffs? He hasn't played in the NBA this year.

I think he is available to be on the playof roster aswell.

sa_butta
04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Good luck with that pick up.

leemajors
04-03-2006, 07:40 PM
i read this earlier, i quoted it wrong but they can't sign him unless they are granted an exception:

The Mavericks may add another player after Keith Van Horn broke his right hand. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the team petitioned the league Saturday night for a hardship exception to sign a free agent.

According to the newspaper, the team checked into Shawn Kemp, who has reportedly slimmed down in an attempt to make a comeback and met with coach Avery Johnson recently in Houston.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 07:40 PM
i read this earlier, i quoted it wrong but they can't sign him unless they are granted an exception:

The Mavericks may add another player after Keith Van Horn broke his right hand. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the team petitioned the league Saturday night for a hardship exception to sign a free agent.

According to the newspaper, the team checked into Shawn Kemp, who has reportedly slimmed down in an attempt to make a comeback and met with coach Avery Johnson recently in Houston.

Ahh okay. They have 15 players already. So they can't sign him at all unless they get the exception.

spurschick
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports the team petitioned the league Saturday night for a hardship exception to sign a free agent.

Why do I just not see Dallas as a "hardship" exception.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Ya the waiver is to allow them to have 16 players...nothing to do w/ playoff eligibility.

wildbill2u
04-03-2006, 07:48 PM
I am sure this now will get all these sad Maverick fans in an uproar. They will start telling us how this will now put them over the top of the spurs!
Maybe the 300LB Kemp will sit on all of our starting 5 and take them out of commishion!? :blah

I live in Houston and somebody called in to our sports line live and said Kemp had been in town and was playing ball at the Fondren Center. The guy played against Kemp and said he is in great shape, had lost a lot of weight and was down to 250 and was very mobile.

If any of you don't know, the Fondren is the home away from home for all basketball players in the area includeing the pros and often you'll see visiting pros on the court as well. Ya gotta have game to get in one of these scrimmages.

If what the guy was saying, maybe Kemp has cleaned up his act like he's been saying--but he's still 34 o4 35 years old.

mavsfan1000
04-03-2006, 07:53 PM
It's over. Kemp is a beast. I'm expecting 20 and 10 from him. Oh wait we are talking 2006. Shit. :lol

sa_butta
04-03-2006, 07:56 PM
It's over. Kemp is a beast. I'm expecting 20 and 10 from him. Oh wait we are talking 2006. Shit. :lolThis move would have been great 10 years ago.

exstatic
04-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Ten years ago, this would have been huge. Now, he's huge. [/rimshot]

Thanks, I'll be here through Thursday. Try the veal. :lol

ChumpDumper
04-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Dude could still board when he was pushing maximum density.

We should've given him a call.

T Park
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Dude could still board when he was pushing maximum density.

We should've given him a call.

Chump isn't feeling well obviously.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 08:06 PM
If I'm Dallas, I definetly do this deal.

If he can give them 10-12 minutes a game in the playoffs he will be a big benefit to them. If he can contribute 15-20 watch the hell out. Alot obviously depends on his conditioning/weight/mobility...etc etc. but from all accounts during the last month or so, he is in much better shape than when he retired.

Him coming aboard, is not to be a savior, but to be a pest to opposing bigs. If I'm SA, I'm not real happy about this. He can bang w/ Rasho, Nazr and TD all night. He would add alot to their interior D.

His addition doesn't take away from SA being favored.....but it's a big experienced body, a veteran who can still put some moves on the likes of Nazr and Rasho. And he should immedaitly help their rebounding. I'd rather not face him in round 2 If I didn't have to.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Chump isn't feeling well obviously.What harm would a phone call have done? You can't argue the rebounding, that was statistical truth..

Vashner
04-03-2006, 08:10 PM
How many children does he have in Dallas by now?

SpursWoman
04-03-2006, 08:15 PM
Why the come back? Is he getting behind in his child support payments? :wtf :angel

exstatic
04-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Why the come back? Is he getting behind in his child support payments? :wtf :angel
How could he not be? He could start his own fucking country by now...:lol

T Park
04-03-2006, 08:19 PM
What harm would a phone call have done? You can't argue the rebounding, that was statistical truth..

No thanks.

Id rather lose with good guys, than sell out and sign shit heads like Shawn Kemp.

jochhejaam
04-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Former Sonics' forward Shawn Kemp is the all-time NBA career leader in illegitimate offspring, having fathered seven children, each by a different woman. Larry Johnson fathered five children by four women, Charles Barkley--in his typically contrarian fashion--fathered three by five women, and Dennis Rodman fathered two and mothered three.

Kobe Bryant was well on his way towards establishing the "double-double"--ten children by ten different women--before his philandering career was cut short by allegations of rape in Colorado

http://blogs.foxsports.com/GerbilSportsNetwork/2006/03/13/Kemp_Says_UFO_Love_Child_Not_Mine

weebo
04-03-2006, 08:24 PM
This guy, even if signed by Dallas, won't see a minute on the floor --unless we're talking garbage time. Maybe the Mavs should just give Roy Tarpley a call too.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
This guy, even if signed by Dallas, won't see a minute on the floor --unless we're talking garbage time. Maybe the Mavs should just give Roy Tarpley a call too.Yeah, Plodkolzin is their secret weapon for the playoffs.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
No thanks.

Id rather lose with good guys, than sell out and sign shit heads like Shawn Kemp.So why are you pining away for Glenn Robinson? Or does being convicted for assault and domestic battery not rise to the level of shit head in your eyes?

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-03-2006, 10:43 PM
another excuse for mavs. fan after a lost our players are hurt and now Kemp he is fat and has to many kids. What a bunch of DUMBASSES

DDS4
04-03-2006, 11:07 PM
Payton/Kemp was fun to watch back in the day.

Pandaemonaeon
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
This guy, even if signed by Dallas, won't see a minute on the floor --unless we're talking garbage time. Maybe the Mavs should just give Roy Tarpley a call too.

Josh fucking Powell's been backing up Dirk ever since Van Paper's been injured and averaging a whopping 10-17 minutes per game doing absolutely nothing. Shawn, no matter what shape he's in on (and all signs point to him being significantly better than the overweight slob prior to his retirement) is an upgrade over his "tremendous upside potential" ass, any day of the week. If Shawn can rebound and hit a jumpshot or two, hell, play like an actual basketball player - I'm happy.

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2387076&univLogin02=stateChanged

He can be on playoff roster it seemed.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
So when will they find out if they get the medical exception and can sign him?

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
One source today said decision could be 48 hours but not sure how credible, to me a no lose pick up sort of like Robinson and could the Spurs now counter?

Would not mind another big as I believe Spurs with a roster spot left??

Pandaemonaeon
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Today or tommorow I guess but I doubt the NBA would grant it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/040406dnspomavslede.ca94650.html

The Mavs have asked the NBA for a roster exception that would allow them to add a 16th player. But with only one player who is assured of being out for the playoffs (Van Horn), it would seem unlikely the league would agree to an extra player.

If the Mavs get an extra spot, the list of candidates is suspect. Players who haven't played in months, or even years, have surfaced. But while Christian Laettner, George Lynch and Shawn Kemp were capable in their day, how much would they offer now?

BrianBird
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Without hi-jacking this thread, and not that im complaining, cause i aint...
But did some sort of avatar boob war start when i wasnt looking?? Maybe old news but Kori and Spurswoman, are those yours? :oops

If so... :tu

ShoogarBear
04-03-2006, 11:55 PM
We have no idea what you're talking about. You must be seeing things.

Buddy Holly
04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Shawn Kemp has so many kids he just drives through the ghetto and waves.

The following joke brought to you by Mike Epps.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Without hi-jacking this thread, and not that im complaining, cause i aint...
But did some sort of avatar boob war start when i wasnt looking?? Maybe old news but Kori and Spurswoman, are those yours? :oops

If so... :tu

:lol

Yes, they are ours.

Go to the Club and look in the thead entitle Kori and Spurswoman's avatars or something like that and you'll see all the other girls who have their avatars changed.

It's sort of a female solidarity/Spurs Mojo/Breast Cancer charity thing.

SequSpur
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
sean kemp was bad ass.

but then he did coke and ate cheeseburgers.

he's a fat ass druggie.

ShoogarBear
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
It's sort of a female solidarity/Spurs Mojo/Breast Cancer charity thing.
Yeah, that's what it is. :eyebrows

Winnipeg_Spur
04-04-2006, 12:06 AM
sean kemp was bad ass.

he's a fat ass druggie.
Yeah, I don't know how he managed to be a cokehead and fat at the same time. :lol

Kori Ellis
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I don't know how he managed to be a cokehead and fat at the same time. :lol

I always assumed that he smoked a lot of weed to come down off the coke and then got the munchies.

rayray2k8
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
Im waiting for a "Bill Walton comment" on Kemp going with the mavs.
:rolleyes :lol

timvp
04-04-2006, 12:09 AM
Kemp is already more of a postup threat than Noyitszckey.

FreshPrince22
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Kemp > Duncan. Duh!

ShoogarBear
04-04-2006, 12:12 AM
sean kemp was bad ass.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/images/smilies/blues.gif Da-daaaaa-da-DA!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/images/smilies/blues.gif Da-daaaaa-da-DA!

he's a fat ass druggie.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/images/smilies/blues.gif Wooo-woooo-wooo-wooooooooooooo!

T Park
04-04-2006, 12:29 AM
I don't get it :confused

ShoogarBear
04-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I was setting Sequ's moving prose to a nice blues riff.

Maybe it only works after you've had three tall ones.

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/images/smilies/beer.gif

BTW, we definitely need some kind of beer smilie.

polandprzem
04-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Kemp in Dallas?

Good for...us :)

ps. damn Dallas are realy unlucky with the contusions this year

ChumpDumper
04-04-2006, 01:12 AM
Since the Mavs already have a full roster and everyone else is scheduled to be avalilable for the playoffs (right?), the exception seems like a long shot.

No reason why we can't make a call.

timvp
04-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Since the Mavs already have a full roster and everyone else is scheduled to be avalilable for the playoffs (right?), the exception seems like a long shot.

No reason why we can't make a call.

Like I've said before, Kemp > Sanders.

SenorSpur
04-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Smacks of Cuban's desparation

Amuseddaysleeper
04-04-2006, 01:19 AM
i think everyone is making too big of a deal over this signing. kemp is only gonna be used sparingly for the mavs as an extra body against the spurs big men. i dont think they are looking for him to do major damage

mavsfan1000
04-04-2006, 01:20 AM
Yeah I would rather have Josh Powell play than an over the hill Kemp.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2006, 01:25 AM
I'm sure our opponents' fans thought the same about GRob.

polandprzem
04-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Like I've said before, Kemp > Sanders.

In smoking? :smokin :smokin :smokin

callo1
04-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Oh well, it is 6 hard fouls at least I guess. Grats Mav fans.

Vashner
04-04-2006, 03:44 AM
Vbookie on his sperm count?

mikejones99
04-04-2006, 03:56 AM
They are trying to Match our bench against Rasho and Oberto.

Pistons < Spurs
04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060408-09

Even if the Mavericks were ready to sign Shawn Kemp -- which they're not -- they can't. Not yet.

Dallas can't add a player unless it releases someone to create a roster spot, because the league has denied the Mavericks' request (more than once) for an injury exception that would allow them to sign a 16th player.

The Mavs were indeed without four players for a long stretch (Josh Howard, Devin Harris, Adrian Griffin and Keith Van Horn) and that is often sufficient to secure an exception from the league office. But I'm told that the league won't budge because Dallas has a player (Pavel Podkolzin) in the D-League.

So...

If the Mavs want to replace Van Horn now that Dirk Nowitzki's backup has been lost for the season with a broken hand, these are the options: They can recall Podkolzin (who isn't NBA-ready) and put him on the active roster or they can waive the 7-5 center or rookie Rawle Marshall (neither of whom Dallas is prepared to release) to create a roster spot for Kemp or another vet.

It appears that the Mavs, high on Marshall and having expended the 21st overall pick in the 2004 draft on Podkolzin, will give high-energy rookie Josh Powell first crack at Van Horn's minutes after Powell's 12-point, five-rebound showing in Tuesday's rout of Sacramento.