PDA

View Full Version : Delay wont seek re-election

RobinsontoDuncan
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Bitches (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060404/ap_on_el_ho/delay)

WASHINGTON - Former House Majority Leader
Tom DeLay, a Texan touched by a lobbying scandal that ensnared some of his former top aides and cost the congressman to his leadership post, won't seek re-election to Congress, a Republican official said Monday.

DeLay was expected to disclose the plans Tuesday, said the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the DeLay had not publicly disclosed his plans.

RandomGuy
04-04-2006, 08:57 PM
One less tool in congress... heh

Guru of Nothing
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
One less tool in congress... heh

Speaking on behalf of all my math teachers, show your work.

Nbadan
04-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Tom DeLay To Pursue Corruption In Private Sector
April 5, 2006 | Issue 42•14

STAFFORD, TX—Former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, who is facing several ethics violations and felony charges, announced Tuesday that he will resign from Congress in order to concentrate on corruption in the private sector. "I can say with a clear lack of conscience that, after 21 years of public disservice, I have done everything I could to the American people," DeLay said in a televised statement to constituents. "I have a lot to offer the corporate world, such as money laundering and influence-peddling." DeLay added that, before assuming his new irresponsibilities, he looks forward to spending more time alienating his family and cheating on his wife.

The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/47127)

Nbadan
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Interesting tidbit on Delay from Talking point memo today:

TPM: Delay duped his constituents to raise legal fees
Posted by George Oilwellian
Added to homepage Wed Apr 05th 2006, 11:24 AM ET

DeLay was determined to hang on to his seat at least through the primary, said Carl Forti, spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee. That was because he considered his three Republican challengers gadflies and traitors and he was determined to try to block them from succeeding him.

An additional impetus for putting off the resignation until now was suggested by John Feehery, a former aide to DeLay and House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.). "He needed to raise money for the defense fund. That was the bottom line," Feehery said. "He wanted to make sure he could take care of himself in the court of law." Under federal campaign rules, any reelection money a lawmaker raises can be used to pay legal fees stemming from official duties.

So the GOP candidate will be selected by party chairs. And a main reason for DeLay to stay in the race this long was to raise legal fees under the guise of raising money to run a political campaign.

-- Josh Marshall (http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/008119.php)

RobinsontoDuncan
04-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Yeah I was actually thinking about that when I read he was planning on using his campaign money as a defense fund. That is one slick son of a bitch.

Hey you remember just last week how he was telling chrisitian leaders that as long as they elect republicans, america will always be in chrisitian hands-- yeah i always knew that organized religion was a joke.

xrayzebra
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Guess you wont have to vote for him now.....LOL

Anyhow, he is having his day. Filed a complaint about the fine Dimm-o-crap who
claims everyone hates her because she is black. The face of the Dimm-o-craps.

ChumpDumper
04-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry, you won't be able to change the subject on this one. DeLay says a final "fuck you" to his supporters by pocketing the money for his lawyers.

At least this time it was legal....

Nbadan
04-06-2006, 04:39 PM
Tom Delay just keeps on giving...

Texas Gov. Perry says no special election for Delay's seat unless he resigns in writing by this Friday.

Faux News (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,190881,00.html)

This means that Sugar-land goes without representation in Congress until November.

Ocotillo
04-06-2006, 05:33 PM
I was in beautiful Sugar Land today and one of the residents told me the mayor of Sugar Land will be selected to run as the Republican candidate for Delay's seat.

P.S. I was not at the Nick Lampson press conference that was disrupted by Delay goons. Seem's they (the Rethug cult members) roughed up a 69 year old lady.

But as Dennis Prager says, it's the Dems that are overly angry.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2006, 10:29 PM
But he didn't do anything wrong!!!!!!!

[/neocon beyond neocon]