PDA

View Full Version : top 25 with 2 Spurs on list

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 10:58 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_16803.shtml

Can be opened by all, PDR

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 11:01 PM
Good list but go back and spell check the players names. Quite a few errors.

Just on first glance, these are all wrong:
Dywane Wade
Dirk Nowitzky
Carmello Anthony
Shaun Marion
Sam Casell

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I just counted 2(Nowitzki, Cassell).

No way Nash legitimately wins MVP IMO...

FromWayDowntown
04-03-2006, 11:09 PM

Nowitzky?

Shaun Marion?

Is the premise to rank players just based on how they've played this season? or is to rank them based on everything we know from the past and everything that we expect going forward?

In either event, I'm also not sure I'd rank Tony Parker ahead of Shawn Marion.

I think Shaq is ranked too high no matter what, and I think Billups is ranked too low no matter what. If it's just based on performance in this season, I think Brand and Dirk would both rank ahead of Duncan.

If it's what we know and what we expect, I think Carmelo Anthony deserves to be ranked higher -- this season has proven that he's going to be a top-5 or 6 type player in the very near future. On that note, I also think the omission of Chris Bosh is preposterous.

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Marion was a typo.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 11:13 PM
With these kind of rankings, we could argue all night long.

It looks good for the most part.

I would have given Yao a higher spot than 16.

Due to injury, I don't think TD is really top 5 material this year. Especially when Brand has been so much better this year.

Marion at 18? I think he's damn near top 10----if not better.

Kidd and Shaq hvae faded too much in my eye for their spots.

As good as Artest has been for the last 6 weeks or so, IMO too little PT to garner any spot on the top 25.

2 guys I would have put on there: J Richardson and A Jamison.

Fabbs
04-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Okay I'm bored.

Another media person who knows little of the game of hoop.
1. Kobe "must be #1, no argument possible." Ha! A player includeds how much better one makes his teamates. While Kobes ultra selfish personality has been much better this year, I would still rank several above him. Not to mention who would you rather have on the Spurs, KG or Kobme. Please.

I'll also take Dwane Wade over Kobe. No argument whatsoever.

Chris Paul over Manu GNob. This writer has zero credibility.

I'll take AK-47 pover MarshMello Anthony anytime.

CWebb :lol :lol

Oh i cant take anymore.

Warlord23
04-03-2006, 11:16 PM
Brand and Iverson ahead of Dirk seems a bit harsh on the leader of a 60-win team. Billups and Marion deserve to be ahead of Pierce and Artest IMO.

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:17 PM
C Paul is just this year, Manu better player overall - Manu will move back ahead.

Typos fixed was very tired tonight, so thanks for the corrections = there is no perfect list!

Webber deserves consideration he is about 20/10 player and last part of the season has come on strong and if only he got ball more!

Marion not higher until he does not fade when it counts!

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Marion not higher until he does not fade when it counts!

LOL pfft! you're holding Marion down due to last yrs playoff matchup vs. the Spurs? C'mon! Let it rest already!! If this list is based upon this years production, he should absolutely be higher.

Marion has been solid game in - game out.

Take Bowens foot off his throat, and give him some love!!!!!

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Except everytime Nash out they lose. His stats like most Suns inflated vs. other players as more possessions.

Still agree an good arguement can be made for him >, and I did compliment him.

Pistons < Spurs
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Except everytime Nash out they lose.7

As you stated, Nash is a possible 2 time MVP.

If you take an MVP off any team, you might expect them to lose!

JMarkJohns
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
I liked it until he couldn't man up and choose one #25 player.

Might as well call it the "Pussy's Guide to the NBA Top-25"

There hard to make and you'll never, ever get it right. You just can't.

His list was quality.

Names and #25, aside.

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Added two who I thought needed some props, but they are in order IMO.

Fabbs
04-03-2006, 11:43 PM

Yeah you gotta watch how you spell players names around Kori. :spin
It's one thing to mispell them on a db....

Trainwreck2100
04-03-2006, 11:44 PM
It's hoopsworld

Rummpd
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I normally have a program that does this but am traveling and the only one that was really inane by me is Anthony - I know better, Marion was just a stupid typo that my dyslexia did not catch, Dirk was spelled right by the way as i copied it right off of NBA.com.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Dirk was spelled right by the way as i copied it right off of NBA.com.

Nowitzki ends in a I.

I'm not telling you to be bitch; I'm just trying to help you make the article more professional. Your best bet is to load the list of players names into the spellchecker of your msword (or whatever program you write in).

SequSpur
04-03-2006, 11:56 PM
Dirk Nigawitski.

Rummpd
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
http://www.nba.com/players/

His name was copied straight off of here, i.e, Dirk Nowitzki - it may have been wrong on an earlier draft but it is also possible there are two spellings (one German, one English)
here is the full article in case some of you can catch any more errors - was tired and traveling did on other computer than one that had stored names.
Last Updated: Apr 4th, 2006 - 01:13:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revised Top 25 NBA Players - "Bring it On"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Peter D. Rumm, MD
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Apr 3, 2006, 23:53

*In a class of himself right now = Kobe Bryant – at least for this year, not only best perimeter player but best overall – period, no arguments allowed on this one.

2. LeBron James – not far behind for the “wonderkid” and he is seemingly Oscar Robertson re-incarnated (except bigger and taller).

3. Dwyane Wade - John Hollinger from ESPN and others believe he is the best in the game, and it is hard to argue he is right there along with James a step behind Kobe Bryant right now. If he develops more range will one day IMO rule the NBA for a stretch, trading off with Mr. James.

4. Steve Nash – will probably get his 2nd MVP and raises the level of his team in an unreal fashion. Except for aberrant game vs. the Nets recently, he also seemingly scores at will.

5. Tim Duncan – dropped four places due to a season with plantar fasciatis from pre-season ranking, but still IMO the very best player in the game when healthy. Don’t be fooled by is statistics, he is coming on strong and watch out league as Spurs get more rest between games.

6. Shaquille O’Neal – disregard the injuries etc., he is still the greatest “force” in the game with Duncan right behind him - for the attention they get all the time. If he got in true shape, he could move back up to top three very fast.

7. Allen Iverson – four inches taller and he might be number one, and right now not far behind everyone including Kobe Bryant.

8. Elton Brand – Improved his already strong game to MVP consideration. He is not far behind Duncan right now (and actually passed him for much of the year). Props to him for all his work and dedication. Want him on any team and the Bulls must surely rue the day they traded him for the potential of Tyson Chandler - IMO one of the dumbest trades of all time on a team that needed veterans.

9. Dirk Nowitzki – if only he really could play defense as well as the spin doctors are saying right now, but he has improved that aspect of his game. Dallas fans will want him higher, but his team must go truly deep into playoffs, before I agree under his court leadership.

10. Carmelo Anthony – some will smirk at this rating as sublime to have him so high. However, the truth – they have not followed the Nuggets this year and seen the improvement in all around play of Mr. Anthony. Could make case for top 5 next year.

11. Kevin Garnett – some will want him higher, but this is about right for a wondrous player who will miss the playoffs this year for the 2nd time in a row. Still not a big drop off from number one to him at all.

12. Ron Artest – when his head in the game like the last two months he is a top 12 player – of course that is ten rankings above his recent assessment of himself. Many will think this is too high, but he is a great defender as well and a tough offensive match-up.

13. Paul Pierce – again some will smirk at this ranking, but this guy has been unreal all year. If a near superstar could get most improved, it would be Pierce or Anthony.

14. Chauncey Billups – making a case to be top 5-10, and is proving to be a clutch player.

16. Yao Ming – keeps playing like this and will move up fast. Love his game, attitude, and upside and he can get even better!

17. Tony Parker – seemingly a high ranking, but shooting about 55% and was reason Spurs with Manu Ginobili and Duncan hobbling much of year are 57-16. Also, dramatically improved his defense and all-around game. If he takes over in playoffs, he needs more props than he is getting for his incredible season.

18. Shawn Marion – unreal all-around player who has a chance to show more in WCF this year most likely against the Spurs and his nemesis, Bruce Bowen. Also, a very nice person and civic leader - props to you Mr. Marion!

19. Tracy McGrady – still very valuable when he can play. If he gets healthy and motivated could move with Yao into top ten next year. Seemingly, not destined to ever achieve the greatness he could be due to injuries, but if healthy he can play with anyone, including Kobe Bryant and back down to no one in all around talent. Still believe his outburst to beat Spurs last year in regular season (13 points in around 1 minute) at end was the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a basketball court, even more than Bryant's 81 due to superior quality of the opponent.

20. Pau Gasol – having a marvelous year and his size and defensive "step-up" beats out some smaller players below. He is really improved on both sides of the ball. Now about that "goofy beard".

21. Vince Carter – leading the Nets along with Kidd, see below to a late charge. Seems to be a changed player, but I am still somewhat skeptical that he will not turn selfish in the playoffs. Weak defender but team defense is covering for him now.

22. Ray Allen – a bright spot on a terrible team this year, but still best pure shooter in the league.

23. Jason Kidd – after Nash, IMO still best pure PG in league. Injuries and a streaky shot keep him from top 10-15.

24. Chris Paul – only rookie to break top 25, and he deserves it. His notable statistics only half the story - he is a winnner and great team-mate who will only get better and better.

25A Gilbert Arenas – still seems like a “gunner” to me, but if he carries a flawed Washington Wizards team deep, I will re-consider and move him as high as ten.

25B. Rasheed Wallace – hard to rank him above his down low team-mate Ben Wallace, but he is IMO the real MVP of the Pistons. Wallace truly stretches defenses and an incredible defender on any big man in the league when motivated.

25C. Andrei Kirilenko - Mr. "5 x 5" and off court life seemingly rivals Tony Parker (has a Russian rock star for a wife, not going any farther on this except see recent ESPN the Magazine). Can control games with just his defense at times.

Next group that were strongly considered in no particular order: Chris Bosh (a year away from top 15 perhaps), Richard Jefferson, Jermaine O’Neal (top 15 when healthy), Larry Hughes (when healthy), Ben Wallace, Dwight Howard, Chris Webber (scoff at this but he a 20/10 player), Richard Hamilton, Mike Bibby, Sam Cassell (real leader of the Clippers), Manu Ginobili, and Michael Redd.

There are at least 15 others meriting consideration in the league. Sure there will be debates – so in a polite way – "bring it on"!

"We love this game."

Dr. Rumm is the "SportsDoc to the Fans" and is the team reporter for Basketball News Service. He is a former editor, and contributes team reports, player and team analysis and discussions on medical issues.
Gotta Response? E-mail It Here

NBA Statistics
NBA Scores & Matchups
NBA Power Rankings
NBA Injury Report
NBA Team Standings