PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla FireFox

Nikos
10-02-2004, 05:41 PM
What are the advantages of it? Why is it better than Internet Explorer?

Is it worth downloading?

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Okay. Where to start.

1. Tabbed browsing

Using only one window, you can have multiple sites open and updating with tabs just below the address bar. Two clicks can refresh multiple pages at one time, and since it's all in one window, you don't have to constantly move your mouse down to switch pages, you just click through the tabs.

2. Extensions

You can find many extensions that will allow your browser to do multiple things. Newsfeeds, GMail, Ad Blocking, etc.

3. Built-in Pop-Up Blocker

As it says. If you know you're using a site that needs pop-ups, you can customize that site to allow pop-ups.

Those are my main features, take a look at Mozilla.org for more.

PimpScourge
10-02-2004, 06:33 PM
It's worth downloading just for the fact that you'll get less spyware if you use it, since it is not as tightly integrated to Windows. Can't be exploited as easily as IE.

ducks
10-02-2004, 07:36 PM
let me tell you this firefox stops popup adds that spybot and adware could not remove

I run it on a customer computer and could not get rid of spysoftware without starting over with that computer. I will not pay for spyware remover pestpatrol is pretty good though.
firefox blacked the pop up add.
internet exployer did not. even with google's popup blocker!
the add was from a ip address.

the download is only 4.8 mb
it is worth playing with. also you can import your favorites to it. their email program is neat to.

ducks
10-02-2004, 07:38 PM
the biggest disadvatage of it is you still have to have exployer to download your windows updates. you can not use firefox. but you turn automatic updates on so then you would not have it use bill gates junk.

biggest advantage it was not made by bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das Texan
10-02-2004, 08:08 PM
great browser for reasons listed above.

firefox >>>>>>> IE

Useruser666
10-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Very good browser that has very few problems with almost every web site out there. Once in a blue moon you may need to fire IE for some poorly made web site, but that's it. I personally love the text zoom feature that beats IE totally. It really keeps ads and spyware out. It also let's you set the save cookie and password feature to specific sites which is really handy. I highly recomend it.

TastesLikeChicken
10-03-2004, 09:46 PM
What they said ^^^

It also uses much less RAM with tabs then IE soaks up with opening multiple windows

And IMO has a better cache system which loads commonly visited websites quicker

And if you are currently using IE it can easily import all your bookmarks and settings into FireFox so you don't lose anything

Once in a blue moon you may need to fire IE for some poorly made web site

Like woai.com videos, outside of that I haven't had a problem with Mozilla support

Spurgal
10-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Spurgal has Mozilla. I love It!

Shelly
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Okay, I just downloaded it. Do you still need Google Toolbar to kill pop ups or does it take care of it on it's own?

ahh...I see you said it has a builti in pop up blocker, JB.

pooh
10-03-2004, 10:38 PM
you can take off the google search tab, just bring up the little customize thing and just drag it there.

I downloaded it last night but it slowed up my comp so I went back to IE 6

ducks
10-03-2004, 10:41 PM
pooh your computer should be faster with it
less ram
however your computer is not a typical computer

Useruser666
10-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Pooh, turn off IE when you have Firefox running! :p

MannyIsGod
10-04-2004, 02:21 PM
I was converted sometime ago, and I LOVE It.

Shelly
10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
I like it also.

I downloaded it last night and since then I've had a problem with programs hanging. Mainly Photoshop. Crystal Reports did also.

Any ideas? That never happened before and my spyware is clean.

jalbre6
10-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Do you folks prefer Firefox over Opera? I'm thinking of switching over, but it looks like the same features are on both.

Slomo
10-04-2004, 04:16 PM
I'm using Opera. Really like the interface and the tabs work better than in Firefox. Spyware resistant as well.

Biggest problem: many (my estimate: 50%) sites with Java scripts will not work properly in Opera.

How good is Firefox with Java?

Useruser666
10-04-2004, 04:37 PM
Firefox works pretty well with Java from what I've seen. Sometimes things load a bit funny, wrong borders, or misaligned graphics.

Don't know Shelly. Are you running too many chat programs? :p

Does it only happen when you run Firefox or is it all the time?

Type in Ctrl-Alt-Delete and then click on the Process tab. If you have more than 30 processes running you will probably experience some lag even on the higher power machines out there. Try closing programs running in your active program tray in the lower right of your screen next to the clock. The fewer the better, but of course, some are required. Try turning them off one at a time. If you're not brave, list them here and I'm sure some one can tell you if you need them or not.

Hmmm..... Do we need a tech help forum now? :wink

Shelly
10-04-2004, 04:50 PM
666 :devil

I had maybe 2 programs open with it. I wasn't always online when it would hang up. Even Ctrl+Alt+Delete wouldn't work. It was mainly in Photoshop.

It may not even be Mozilla, but I never had a problem with PS or ending a program until today. I don't know why they'd conflict with each other

However, it IS faster. I accidently opened IE and was wondering why the web pages were taking forever to load.

ETA--it's hanging up when I click on a picture that I've saved to my desktop.

Weird.

mattyc
10-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Got it a couple of months ago and haven't turned back. Very good browser that frankly, owns IE.

Useruser666
10-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Shelly, Sometimes when you save fairly large images to your desktop it can start to slow down your machine. This is especially true if you have a bunch of icons on your desktop or several really large files saved there. Try making a TEMP folder on your desktop and use that to store your pics. If you are using a large pic file as custom background wallpaper it can really slow things down. A plain single color screen may be boring but it will speed things up until you can add memory or some other upgrade.

You can always try uninstalling Firefox and seeing if that helps. Since it's not a long install you can quickly reinstall it later. I haven't had any problems with Photoshop or photopaint but you never know.

If you want to get adventurous, you can try some startup editing.

Type msconfig at the Windows Run prompt and click on the startup tab.

There will be a list of every program launched to run at Windows startup.
If you see any that you don't need you can uncheck them and restart your computer. Try doing this one at a time, and if you're unsure, only the ones that you know what they do. I tend to turn off all MS Office junk, as well as any media player apps that try and run. There's other stuff that can be switched off but it's mostly on a machine by machine basis.

After you reboot a little message will pop up saying that you made startup changes. Just click on the "Don't say this again." and click ok.

Remember if you’re not sure about something, ask here, it probably won't hurt anything but it's better to be on the safe side.

Shelly
10-05-2004, 03:59 PM
If you are using a large pic file as custom background wallpaper it can really slow things done

I know a little about computers, 666! :lol My desktop is very clean. But I think you hit the nail on the head with the above. In honor of Halloween, I have a Halloween wallpaper and I suspect that's the culprit and I downloaded that the same day as Firefox.

Anyone using the Gmail notifier with it? It keeps logging me out, dammit.

p.s. thanks for your help, 666

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Shelly, right-click the Gmail notifier and go to preferences.

You can change it there.

Useruser666
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Mozilla also has an email client, though I haven't tried it. It doesn't work with MS exchange. :flipoff I had a big pic of a jack-o-lantern as my wallpaper before. Sorry, I don't have gmail so I can't tell you anything. It might have to do with one of the security or privacy settings, but I'm not sure.

Useruser666
10-05-2004, 04:41 PM
OMG! You quoted my obvious spelling/typo. That goes in the hall of shame. :oops Done should be down!

Shelly
10-05-2004, 04:56 PM
Shelly, right-click the Gmail notifier and go to preferences.

You can change it there.

No preferences for Gmail notifier, JB

OMG! You quoted my obvious spelling/typo. That goes in the hall of shame. Done should be down!

:lol--i didn't even notice!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Shelly, there's no little red letter icon in the lower right-hand corner of your Firefox browser?

What versions are you using of the browser and extension?

Shelly
10-06-2004, 08:43 AM
jb, the only options it has is to set my default browzer to mozilla. I downloaded notifier again yesterday because i kept getting errors. I know all about right click, etc.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2004, 08:54 AM
Shelly, I'm not doubting your abilities. I just want to know which versions of the software you have.

Older versions of the extension didn't have the same commands to it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2004, 08:59 AM
http://uweb.txstate.edu/~jr47581/pictures/gmailex.jpg

Shelly
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
ooo...I just realized that sounded snotty, JB! I know you're trying to help. My apologies!

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-06-2004, 09:07 AM
http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=173&vid=331&category=&page=releases

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Just make sure you have 0.3.3 for Firefox (top one) and Firefox 1.0PR.