PDA

View Full Version : Titans tell Steve McNair not to work out at their headquarters

ducks
04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Titans tell Steve McNair not to work out at their headquarters
April 4, 2006

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- The Tennessee Titans told quarterback Steve McNair they don't want him working out in their building, a move that signals his 11-year tenure with the team may be nearing an end.

McNair was told to go home Monday when he showed up at the team's headquarters for the start of the third week in the Titans' offseason conditioning program. The team's general counsel had called the quarterback's agent, Bus Cook, earlier Monday and informed him McNair would be told to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT
McNair, the NFL's 2003 co-MVP, is due $9 million in salary in 2006. But his salary cap number is $23.46 million, and the Titans may not want to risk the liability if McNair is hurt on their property.

The Titans did not immediately comment Tuesday. General manager Floyd Reese and coach Jeff Fisher were in Los Angeles following a private workout of Southern California quarterback Matt Leinart.

Cook did not immediately return telephone messages left by The Associated Press on Tuesday. But he said Monday night that he's not sure McNair would want to go back now that he's been thrown out.

"A month ago they say he needs to be there to get familiar with the young guys, and now they tell him to get out? I have never seen anything like that in my life," Cook told The Tennessean newspaper.

"They can sugarcoat it any way they want to, but when you throw your starting quarterback off the property, an MVP, Pro Bowl guy who led them to the Super Bowl and one of the greatest players in the history of the team ..."

The Titans hold the No. 3 pick overall in the draft, the same spot at which they took McNair in 1995. They have been studying top quarterback prospects Leinart, Vince Young of Texas and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt in recent weeks.

Horry For 3!
04-04-2006, 01:10 PM
I thought he should have retired last season.

Solid D
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Bud Adams type move.

2centsworth
04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Steve still has lots of game.

Guru of Nothing
04-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Kyle Boller, meet your mentor.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Bud Adams type move.
Exactly right.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-06-2006, 06:54 PM
How can Steve McNair suck all of a sudden? Wtf is going on with NFL QB's

cecil collins
04-06-2006, 08:35 PM
If he stays healthy, he's gonna help some team immensely.

MissAllThat
04-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Wtf is going on with NFL QB's

I've been asking myself the same question the NFL in general this off-season, but if you really want to know what's going on with the QBs, its just that all teams are hoping that maybe they can get Matt Nordgren to join their team. Afterall, who wouldn't want a guy who can drop the ball while running by himself to the endzone and then create a sort of drop-pass to himself so that he gets the ball for a TD? That's just plain amazing, and don't forget that he got to play at least 2 minutes in every game he saw action in. Yes, also amazing. :lol Ok, I can't go on with this anymore, but I have a friend who really does think this way and actually believes he will be PLAYING in the NFL next year. I didn't know they let water boys play now....

valluco
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Bud Adams type move.
Remember what happened to Moon after a great season in '94? I loved the Oilers since I was a kid and I still care about the Titans, but Adams sucks.

exstatic
04-09-2006, 01:46 PM
If he stays healthy, he's gonna help some team immensely.

That's a BIG if. Any team that signs him had better have a more than adequate backup.

Chris
04-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Damn, that's harsh. McNair to Green Bay?

ShoogarBear
04-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Remember what happened to Moon after a great season in '94? I loved the Oilers since I was a kid and I still care about the Titans, but Adams sucks.

:tu

sa_butta
04-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Players' union files grievance on behalf of McNair

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The NFL Players Association filed a grievance against the Titans on behalf of Steve McNair (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3114), accusing the team of breaching the quarterback's contract when it barred him from working out at its facility.

McNair was told last Monday that he couldn't work out at the Titans training facility for fear he could injure himself and put the team on the hook for all of his $23.46 million salary cap figure for 2006.

The NFLPA filed the grievance late Friday, general counsel Richard Berthelsen said.

"He has a contract and he wants to comply with that contract, especially that part that says he must remain in excellent physical condition and give the best of his ability to the club," Berthelsen said. "And they're trying to keep him from fulfilling that function for the sole reason they want him to renegotiate his contract so they have a better deal with him."

The Titans have 10 days to respond.

"We respect Steve's right to use a grievance mechanism set up by the CBA for handling player and club differences," team spokesman Robbie Bohren said. "We will study the grievance and respond in due course."

A good explanation could end the grievance, but Berthelsen called that rare. The next step would be a hearing before an arbitrator, which either side could try to speed up within 10 days after the team's answer.

"We're going to wait to see what the answer says before we expedite," Berthelsen said.

McNair, the NFL's 2003 co-MVP, is due $9 million in salary in 2006 with a salary cap number that eats up nearly a quarter of the Titans' space under the cap because his deal had been renegotiated through the years.

The Titans chose in February not to pay a $50 million option that would have extended his contract through 2009.

Tennessee holds the No. 3 pick overall in the draft later this month, and owner Bud Adams has said he wants a quarterback taken with that choice. The Titans have met with Matt Leinart (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2006&id=9237) of Southern California, Vince Young of Texas and Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2006&id=9296).

The NFL's collective bargaining agreement requires players to take part in teams' offseason conditioning programs and remain in good physical shape. Berthelsen said this situation is the flip side of a player who holds out for a better contract.

"If Steve McNair is kept at home, he's not being employed. And his right to be on club property to prepare for the preseason and the regular season and to meet his contractual obligations to become and to remain in excellent physical condition, if they're depriving him of that, they're breaching his contract and breaching the CBA," he said.

That might lead to the end of McNair's 11-year tenure with the team that drafted him No. 3 overall in 1995.

"They have the contractual right to release him," Berthelsen said of the Titans. "They do not have the contractual right to ban him from the premises."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2404196