PDA

View Full Version : Insider Request: Rob Neyer

Spurminator
04-04-2006, 05:25 PM
While I wait for my subscription to kick in... :angel

Can someone post the Rob Neyer column on 2006 being the Best Season Ever?

Kori Ellis
04-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Play ball -- the early 1990s way
By Rob Neyer
ESPN Insider

April 2, 2006.

7:13 p.m. Central Daylight Time.

Baseball's greatest season ever began. That's right. Greatest. Season. Ever.

Before I go any further, let me make this (somewhat related) guarantee: MLB will set an all-time attendance record. That's not a particularly bold prediction; MLB set a record in 2005, with 74.9 million paying customers, after a highly publicized congressional hearing that supposedly was going to have some deleterious impact on attendance (it didn't).

This year, MLB will clear 75 million by a healthy margin. Why?

For one thing, people really, really like baseball. Perhaps that goes without saying, but we keep seeing these polls that say baseball ranks behind football, basketball, fast cars and professional kickball in the mind of the American sports fan. Tommyrot. Baseball remains our national game, and I suspect it will for some time. I say this with little pride. As long as there are enough baseball fans to support my writing habit, I couldn't care less about the game's popularity. These are simply the facts as I see them.

I've spent the past couple of weeks collecting projections.

Why? Let's say you are presented with this challenge: You're given two hours to present your projected records for all the major league teams. In those two hours, you can (1) analyze the teams yourself or (2) find some reputable projections on the Internet with a truly slow connection. If you do well, you get to keep your throwing hand. If you don't, you don't.

So what do you do? Unless you're particularly smart or particularly stupid, you find the projections. So that's what I did.

And the projections tell an interesting pre-story. There is only one team I'd consider a good bet to win more than 90 games: Oakland. There is only one team I'd consider a good bet to lose 100 games: Kansas City. Both in the American League, of course. And there are only two other teams in that league that, apparently, have very little hope of making the playoffs: Seattle and Tampa Bay.

That leaves 10 teams for which one can make a decent argument. Yes, the Yankees and the Red Sox are once again the best teams in the East, on paper. But the Blue Jays spent a lot of money this winter, and that might actually show up on the field. The Orioles don't seem to have enough, on paper ... but what if Leo Mazzone really is worth eight or nine wins all by himself? The Angels and the Rangers aren't as good, on paper, as the Athletics. But they're good enough to make some trouble. And in the Central Division, the theoretically fourth-place Tigers are, in this man's opinion, legitimate contenders.

The National League is similar, but different. There's no National League team as good as the Athletics and none as bad as the Royals. The Cardinals are good, but not as good as they were last year (and maybe not nearly as good), so it's theoretically possible that somebody will mount a real challenge. In the East, the difference between the Mets and the Phillies and the Braves isn't more than three games. I've got the Mets winning, but you might as well throw a dart (and for all the talk about the Marlins losing 110 games, I'll be surprised if they lose 90). The West is wide open.

There are, right now, 20 major league teams in the hunt for the eight postseason spots. Plus another one or two I'm not smart enough to identify. Some of those teams won't play well for various reasons, but most of them will still be playing important games in August, and that's going to make for a lot of excitement and jam-packed ballparks. And I can imagine, without much imagination, three or four division races going down to the last week, if not the last weekend, of the season. To say nothing of the commissioner's beloved wild cards.

What's more -- and I hesitate to mention this because too much already has been made of it -- the game itself should be a bit more interesting this season. If all the reports are true, and the players generally are smaller and weaker, then we'll see a bit less standing around and waiting for the big fly. And that's definitely a good thing. Home runs and walks are certainly effective ingredients in winning games, but they're not particularly interesting -- at least not in excess.

So we have a great number of cities with teams worth watching, and we have the best style of baseball since perhaps the early 1990s. We also have an incredible amount of access to all these games, via satellite radio, television and the InterWeb. I know some older fans pine for those glorious days when the Yankees won the American League pennant every year and there was one game on TV every Saturday. Me? I'm convinced there has never been a better time to be a baseball fan. And I'm convinced I'm not alone.

Senior writer Rob Neyer writes for Insider two or three times per week. To offer criticism, praise or anything in between, send an e-mail to [email protected].

Kori Ellis
04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Chat with Rob Neyer

Welcome to The Show! On Tuesday, ESPN.com MLB Insider Rob Neyer will drop by to take your questions on the upcoming season.

An early proponent of looking at the game from a statistical perspective, and a former assistant to Bill James, Neyer is one of ESPN.com's longest-serving columnists.

Send in your questions now and join Rob in The Show on Tuesday at noon ET!

Neyer Archive: Chats | Columns

Rob Neyer: Welcome to my first of the 2006 season, and I'm glad it's finally here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy (Austin): The latest I've heard is Melvin Mora is holding out for $9 million/year over three years. After a bit of a decline last year, is he going to be worth $9 million at ages 35, 36, and 37 or are his best two years behind him?

Rob Neyer: Well, we *know* his best years are behind him. That's just baseball. The question is whether or not he's still got three good+ years left in him. My guess is that he doesn't get anything like $9m/yr on his next contract. And he shouldn't.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh (Boston): You have Oakland winning more than 90 games...after last night, do you still feel that way?

Rob Neyer: Sure. Except now I've got them at 92 instead of 93. True, if Zito gets hammered every start between now and July, the A's have a problem. But he should be at least decent this season (even though I still think the A's should have traded him this winter).

john boston, ma: Rob, isn't Clemens just waiting till July to see if the Astros have a chance or if Georgie writes a big check?

Rob Neyer: I think Clemens is waiting 'til he's bored. The money's going to be there, whenever.

Paul (NYC): Can sabermetrics help explain beyond the shadow of a doubt why sports fans jump the gun on positive or negative judgments after one game with 161 to go?

Rob Neyer: We're all desperate for evidence, so we'll take what we've got. It's very, very difficult to avoid the one-game (or one-week, or one-month) pitfall. I suspect that I was gloating a year ago when the Dodgers got off to their hot start. Even though I should have known better.

Josh (Pottstown, PA): Hey Rob. How do you think the Mets will do this year? Is this the year they dethrone the Braves and win a championship?

Rob Neyer: The Mets are good, and they were my choice to win the division. But there's really very little separating them from the Phillies and Braves, and all three could easily be bunched up in September.

Jon, Detroit: What do you think of the futures of Bonderman, Verlander, and Zumaya? Who do you think has the most potential?

Rob Neyer: Potential: 1. Verlander, 2. Zumaya, 3. Bonderman. That said, if I could have one of them for the next five years, it would be Bonderman. Why? Because he's already proved he can throw 180 innings without getting hurt. It's one heck of a group, and Jordan Tata's a fine prospect, too. If these guys can stay healthy, watch out.

Justin (NYC, NY): It's time for the requisite steroid question. What do you think of ... the whole situation?

Rob Neyer: You mean in 50 words or less? ...

There have always been distasteful things happening in baseball, and this was just one of them. The game will not only survive, it will thrive. Just as it always has.

Marcos (Chicago): So Rob... why are you so down on the White Sox. You have them finishing 3rd in the AL central, please explain why.

Rob Neyer: They're not going to go 35-19 again in one-run games, and they're probably not going to be as healthy. And the Tigers and Twins both improved during the off-season. I'm certainly not saying the White Sox are going to be *bad* this season. I just think they're going to be slightly worse than the Twins and the Indians.

Justin (NYC, NY): Do you think Bud Selig fears the Mitchell investigation uncovering steroid use by someone like Mike Piazza (who Gary Gillette thinks used)?

Rob Neyer: Considering their relationship, I would be shocked to learn that Selig fears anything that Mitchell might do.

Tim (Tampa): So Rob, Rascal Flatts or Bubba Sparxxx? They both put out new albums today .... whats your pick

Rob Neyer: My pick is The Flaming Lips.

Mike (Fairfax): Rob, it seems like Zito was trying to be too cute with his pitches last night. Why is he so afraid of the Yankees? His numbers against them are terrible.

Rob Neyer: I don't know if there's any "reason" why Zito struggled against the Yankees, aside from the fact that they have a lot of good, selective hitters. But Zito's curve wasn't working last night, and without all his pitches he really isn't very good.

Dave (Enid, OK): Someone's gotta ask this: What do you think of the whole Barry Bonds/syringe thing last night?

Rob Neyer: I think it's like throwing cookies at the Cookie Monster.

Derrick (Alexandria,MN): Rob,what are your projections for the Twins lineup this year?

Rob Neyer: The Twins aren't going to score a lot of runs this season . . . but then they don't really have to. Last year they finished last in the American League in scoring. If they can just move up three or four slots -- and I think they can -- their pitching makes them contenders.

Nick (Maryland): Rob, do you think Gibbons is in for a breakout .290-30-100 season and can hopefully pick up some of the slack left by unhappy Mora/Tejada?

Rob Neyer: Fantasy guru Ron Shandler is *very* high on Gibbons this season: 32 homers, .535 slugging percentage. Nobody else is nearly that optimistic. But Shandler always has a reason for these things, so I'm guardedly optimistic, too.

victor (belmont): Rob, on WEEI this morning Theo equated Big Choi with Big Papi, with both showing almost identical numbers at Choi's age. Question: can lightnening strike twice?

Rob Neyer: I don't think Epstein would suggest that Choi is going to become the next Ortiz. I think his point was that when you're looking at a player who's worth a shot, you look for players with profiles like those of Choi and Ortiz. I certainly believe that Choi will become a useful major league player, if he ever gets 400 at-bats in a season against right-handed pitching.

Bradley (Alhambra, CA): The Dodgers going all the way this year right? And by all the way I mean all the way to 87 wins!!!

Rob Neyer: Well, that was my pre-season prediction. But with two (theoretically) everyday playeres on the DL already, I'm seriously considering a revision...

Nelson (Brooklyn, NY): Rob, what do you think of Cano? will he be a bust or another Yankee All-Star? thanks

Rob Neyer: Oh, there's no reason to think he'll be a bust. I don't know that he'll still be a Yankee in three or four years, but yes there's an All-Star Game in his future.

d (st. louis): Do you believe an * is needed for Rollins streak?

Rob Neyer: That's up to you, my friend. I don't believe Rollins' accomplishment -- or any other -- deserves an official stamp of approval or disapproval. It's what it is, and each of us us free to decide what it means.

Matt (Newton, MA): Are Manny and Ortiz the greatest 3-4 combo of all time?

Rob Neyer: Gee, I don't know. Ruth and Gehrig were pretty good.

Lee, Toronto: Guess this is US only. Fine, let me rephrase then--is there any realistic chance the Yankees and Red Sox won't go 1-2 (or 2-1)in the AL East again?

Rob Neyer: If the Blue Jays are healthy and/or Mazzone works his (theoretical) magic in Baltimore, one of those teams could challenge for second place. But yes, the Yankees and Red Sox, again, do look like the best teams in the East. I think the better question is, will one of them fail to make the playoffs? And I think the answer is yes.

Jay (NYC): Hey Rob. I think Glavine gets to 300. Not sure about Randy. But after those two... how long til we see 300 again? I don't see anyone who even has a shot.

Rob Neyer: I don't, either. Aside from the two you mentioned, none of the pitchers with more than 190 wins have a reasonable shot at reaching 300. And considering Mulder's, Hudson's, and Zito's strikeout rates, I don't see them as great pitchers in 10 years. Roy Oswalt, maybe? Johan Santana? Maybe we'll have to wait for Felix Hernandez...

Rick (hartford, ct): So June 1st, who is closing for the Sox, all reports are Foulke looks the same as last year.

Rob Neyer: Based on what I saw yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if Papelbon was closing for the Sox, and a lot sooner than June 1.

Matt (Philly): Is Bret Boone the first victim of steroid testing...He was a nothing player until 1998 and was a power hitter until 2004...and now he's gone from baseball

Rob Neyer: Certainly, the rumors have been around since 2001. Which might or might not be fair. This is the sort of question that George Mitchell's supposed to be answering, not that I think he will.

Tony (DC): Rob, It seems like most analysts rely too much on the recent past when making predictions. How exactly is Boston better than Balitmore on paper. Going by the starting lineups yesterday Baltimore 1-9 is better than Boston's 1-9. That's not saying Baltimore's 3-4 are better but 1-9 is better, just look at the numbers. So, is everyone saying Boston's pitching is that much better? well again look at the numbers, they weren't last year. I say Boston is in for a down year, Yanks are still the favorite, Toronto is unknown, but the O's deserve more credit.

Rob Neyer: Well, just looking at 1-9 . . . Last year the Red Sox outscored the Orioles by 181 runs. Was that gap really closed this winter? I sure don't think so. I do think the Red Sox won't be as good this year, and I do think the Orioles will be better. But on paper, the Red Sox are still the superior team. And without the Mazzone Factor, it's really not that close.

Dan (Chapel Hill, NC): Mr. Neyer, why do GMs continue to throw large sums of money at mediocre players past the prime of their career even though statistical evidence continues to show this is a waste?

Rob Neyer: Ah, the siren song of the Proven Veteran . . . it's difficult for even the most jaded general manager to resist.

Thanks for the questions, and I hope to see you next time. -r

Spurminator
04-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks Kori!