PDA

View Full Version : NBA makes Spurs' task against Kings that much harder ...

CubanMustGo
04-05-2006, 08:17 AM
Thanks, NBA front office ... tho at least both teams are doing B2Bs tonight.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040506.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.45198f4.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SALT LAKE CITY — The Spurs return to the court tonight to face Sacramento, and Tony Parker's glad about one thing: The court they step on will be their own.

Nine of the Spurs' losses have come in the second game of a back-to-back.

After playing Utah on Tuesday, the team wasn't expected to arrive in San Antonio until after 2:30a.m. The Kings lost to Dallas on Tuesday.

The NBA also has moved up the start time for tonight's game to 7 to accommodate ESPN. The game had been set to tip off at 8:30p.m.

We travel but at least we play at home," Parker said. "That helps."

The Spurs are 1-1 this season when playing the end of a back-to-back at the AT&T Center. They're 5-9 overall without a day of rest between games. [so 12 of their 14 B2B second games were on the road??]

Though he has felt better since the All-Star break, Tim Duncan has struggled in back-to-backs when the plantar fasciitis in his right foot flares up. He's averaging 14.9 points on 40.1-percent shooting in 14 games when the Spurs didn't have the preceding day off.

"Every time we have a back-to-back, we just didn't play with a lot of energy," Parker said. "It just happened this year. I don't know why. We can't control it."

Coach Gregg Popovich, among other things, has altered his substitution patterns and canceled the morning breakfast the team usually has when playing the second game of a back-to-back on the road in an effort to compensate for the team's fatigue. None of it has helped much.

The Spurs have one more back-to-back remaining after tonight: After playing in Minnesota on April 16, they face the Jazz the following night at the AT&T Center.

"I just think it's a bad year for back-to-backs," Parker said. "We just have to forget it."

"Crazy" fan: With 9:59 left in the game and Andrei Kirilenko at the free-throw line, a fan ran onto the court and began jumping up and down.

As the players stared incredulously, official Kevin Fehr grabbed the man's arm and twice motioned for security. When no one responded, Jazz coach Jerry Sloan stepped onto the court to try to corral the fan before a security guard finally intervened.

Armed police officers were positioned at each of the court's four corners after the incident.

"I thought he's crazy," Parker said. "He's going to jail. That's a waste of time. For two seconds on the court, you're going to have 48 hours of a pain in the butt."

Dining out: Parker had dinner with Kirilenko on Monday night after arriving in town.

The two have known each other from international competition since Parker was 14 and have become good friends.

They also almost became teammates. The Jazz drafted Kirilenko in 1999 and worked out Parker before the 2001 draft. They ended up taking Spanish point guard Raul Lopez instead because they already had 12 guaranteed contracts and could stash Lopez in Europe for another season.

Parker then dropped to the Spurs.

The Spurs also had hoped to draft Kirilenko in 1999, even assuring his agent they would take him if he fell to them at the bottom of the first round. After Utah picked him at No. 24, the Spurs traded their first-round selection to Dallas.

Briefly: Former Spurs guard Devin Brown, who now plays for Utah, will receive his 2005 championship ring when the Jazz visit the AT&T Center on April 17.

boutons_
04-05-2006, 08:24 AM
"Jazz coach Jerry Sloan stepped onto the court"

Jerry don't take no shit! :lol

CubanMustGo
04-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Jerry is old school, too. :lol

smeagol
04-05-2006, 08:48 AM
I have a feeling they will break the B2B spell and play out of their minds tonight.

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't know about tonight. With the Spurs history of back to back this season, plus the fact that Tim is sick and the Kings are fighting for a playoff spot...tonight could go either way, with a slight edge to the Kings.

pache100
04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't know about tonight. With the Spurs history of back to back this season, plus the fact that Tim is sick and the Kings are fighting for a playoff spot...tonight could go either way, with a slight edge to the Kings.

My sentiments, exactly. I'd like to think they have locked down and are in the playoff groove and will win...but I don't want my heart broken, either, so I'm waxing realistic.

101A
04-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Only 17 hours between landing and tip-off; not quite as bad as the Lakers B2B, but close.

Remember that one?

Noone should stress if this one goes to the Kings.

Fabbs
04-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Coach Gregg Popovich, among other things, has altered his substitution patterns....

No he hasn't. Not much at all.

Tonight i wanna see
Barry 30
Fabbs 20+
Melvin Sanders 15+
Rasha-Nazr 20-40 (depending on who is "hot" :spin, more likely Nazr but then again, Naz could use the rest more then Rasho)
Tim = zero
Manu = possibly zero unless he is feeling great
TParker = 10 or less. Maybe just let him spend the night with Eva.

So they might lose, -yeah well they are 5-9 doing it the other way- and i don't buy they would lose with the above playing minutes anyways since Sacto is also coming off a b2b.

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 10:04 AM
^Why would you want them to lose when they still have a chance to have the best overall record and beat detroit?

SpursWoman
04-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the reminder. :)

Fabbs
04-05-2006, 10:16 AM
^Why would you want them to lose when they still have a chance to have the best overall record and beat detroit?

I don't have a negative view of the above bench players.
I want them to win. Who says they can't. You think it's auto lose if the above play?

Why should they lose and beatdown their starters?
Duncans stats on b2bs vs rested are obvious. At the very least sit him out this game. If Parker and Manu are feelin froggy then go ahead and play them. However the stats support resting Parker also. Age 23 does not equal invincible. It's all we need is an injury to the Big 3 at this point.

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Well Pop had mentioned sitting out either Manu or Tim at the second half of a back to back...so maybe he'll sit him out since he's also sick.

boutons_
04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
"still have a chance to have the best overall record"

The chance is so small that there is effectively no chance.

The Spurs are 3Ls away from best-record/Finals HCA and Pistons have only 8 games remaining. The Pistons must go 5-3 and the Spurs must have no more Ls.

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
^Pistons still have some tough games left, including one against Cavs and Heat I believe.

CubanMustGo
04-05-2006, 10:51 AM
I have a feeling they will break the B2B spell and play out of their minds tonight.

Seems like they took most of the second half off last night to prepare ... :oops

boutons_
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
"most of the second half off last night"

the Spurs played the first 15 minutes extremely well, then went very mediocre.

too damn well. When they have sweet 1st qtrs like that, it's bittersweet, because you just know the bitter is coming.

Drives me crazy that they are so inconsistent WITHIN ONE GAME!! IN APRIL!!

Nick was PG for the first 6.5 minutes of 2nd qtr, and Spurs lost their mo and concentration. The guy is counter-productive.

leemajors
04-05-2006, 11:46 AM
"most of the second half off last night"

the Spurs played the first 15 minutes extremely well, then went very mediocre.

too damn well. When they have sweet 1st qtrs like that, it's bittersweet, because you just know the bitter is coming.

Drives me crazy that they are so inconsistent WITHIN ONE GAME!! IN APRIL!!

Nick was PG for the first 6.5 minutes of 2nd qtr, and Spurs lost their mo and concentration. The guy is counter-productive.

agreed about nick, when he comes in the ball seems to stop moving around. since he is still hurt, i think we should only use him if we really need him. i would rather barry handle the backup point duties...

Duff McCartney
04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
I wonder what would have happened if the Spurs would have drafted Kirilenko instead of Manu in 99.

101A
04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
I wonder what would have happened if the Spurs would have drafted Kirilenko instead of Manu in 99.

Kirilenko was targeted for 1st round, they picked up Manu in the 2nd.

Wonder would have happened if the Spurs would have Drafted AK & Manu in '99? Probably no Bowen, IMO.

T Park
04-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Nick was PG for the first 6.5 minutes of 2nd qtr, and Spurs lost their mo and concentration

Incorrect, they upped the lead from 16 to 24, so keep giving your bullshit anti Van Exel to someone who doesn't know what the fuck is going on, like YOU.

gameFACE
04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Spurs can't used the B2B or "tired" card tonight. Sacramento is also playing the second of a B2B.

T Park
04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
Spurs can't used the B2B or "tired" card tonight

lol

why, cause the game isn't a back to back??

I love you high and mighty aholes that think the Spurs shouldn't be tired with playing 2 games within a 17 hour period.

are you kidding me?!?!?

17 hours!!!

Total bullshit.

Rynospursfan
04-05-2006, 12:36 PM
lol

I love you high and mighty aholes that think the Spurs shouldn't be tired with playing 2 games within a 17 hour period.

are you kidding me?!?!?

17 hours!!!

Total bullshit.

Chill man, sure they may be tired but as GF said the Kings are on a back to back as well, not to mention have to play a road game. That would be a pretty shitty excuse for loosing if you ask me.

IceCold CB1
04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Kirilenko was targeted for 1st round, they picked up Manu in the 2nd.

Wonder would have happened if the Spurs would have Drafted AK & Manu in '99? Probably no Bowen, IMO.

Starting Lineup of
Parker
Manu
AK47
Duncan
Nazr/Nesterovich

Thats one sick team

gameFACE
04-05-2006, 12:57 PM
lol

are you kidding me?!?!?

17 hours!!!

Total bullshit.

Those poor "tired" little Spurs.............

Chill man, sure they may be tired but as GF said the Kings are on a back to back as well, not to mention have to play a road game. That would be a pretty shitty excuse for loosing if you ask me.

Yep. That was pretty easy to understand .......

T Park
04-05-2006, 12:58 PM
sure they may be tired but as GF said the Kings are on a back to back as well

coming from Dallas.

And didn't have to travel as long.

Also, the starters and main players were rested in the second half because it was a blowout earlier.

That would be a pretty shitty excuse for loosing if you ask me.

Spurs have the shorter amount of hours, and the Kings have more to play for, but the Spurs would have the shittier excuse??

perspective people, PERSPECTIVE PLEASE!

SAGambler
04-05-2006, 02:24 PM
The Spurs also had hoped to draft Kirilenko in 1999, even assuring his agent they would take him if he fell to them at the bottom of the first round. After Utah picked him at No. 24, the Spurs traded their first-round selection to Dallas.

WOW. Can you imagaine how bad ass this team could be with AK47 on it?