PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire to have surgery today on right knee

travis2
04-05-2006, 09:27 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0405amare0405.html

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 5, 2006 12:00 AM

Amaré Stoudemire will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this morning and likely will not attempt another comeback this season, the Suns star's manager said.

Stoudemire decided to have an exploratory scope to address a Baker's cyst behind his right knee and determine what is causing the fluid to collect, said Stoudemire's manager, Rodney Rice. The right knee has troubled Stoudemire for five weeks, just as his surgically repaired left knee was improving for a three-game return.

"As of right now, I'd say he's not going to play again this season," Rice said. "I feel that's the best thing for him."

Suns team physician Thomas Carter, who will perform the surgery, has said there is no right knee defect like what was diagnosed before an October scope on Stoudemire's left knee. That lesion was larger than expected, prompting a microfracture procedure.

Possible causes for a Baker's cyst include general wear, torn meniscus or ligament damage. Rice said the doctors believe Stoudemire has nothing more than "wear and tear" with some debris to remove in the joint.

"Just to be sure and definite about that, Amaré wants to go in and make sure," Rice said.

Draining the cyst was an option, but the fluid could return. He is facing four to six weeks of down time. Stoudemire could participate in USA Basketball's July 19-25 camp in Las Vegas.

"Whether it happens a month or four months from now, nobody can say," Rice said of a possible return. "I'd like to think by the time USA Basketball goes to camp, Amaré will be 100 percent."

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 09:35 AM
wow..now he's going to have surgery on his other knee? He seems too young to be having all these problems. It'll be ashame if he doesn't get to fully recover.

CubanMustGo
04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I hate to be repetitive ... but WOW. And ouch.

MoSpur
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I think he attempted to come back too soon. He put too much weight on the right knee, which is causing the fluid to build up.

boutons_
04-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Poor sonofabitch.

one knee already cut and now the other knee, for a cyst and fluid?

holy shit, that guy has some bad luck.

ducks
04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I wonder what the owner gm now think about rushing amare back so soon

SpursWoman
04-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Yikes ... he may be an ass, but I hate to see a talented athlete put out by injury. :(

lilmads
04-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Cysts really suck.. My dad had a major problem last year with one... It really takes a while to recover...

Sec24Row7
04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Poor bastard.

I loved watching him be so athletic... I hope he still has some of it left when he comes back.

Xylus
04-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Luckily, this isn't Microfracture Part Deux. From what I've read, he'll have recovered from this Baker's Cyst by the start of next season. Hell, that articles says he could be playing again in July...

Whatever the case, I'm glad he isn't returning again this year.

ggoose25
04-05-2006, 12:22 PM
I think he attempted to come back too soon. He put too much weight on the right knee, which is causing the fluid to build up.

EXACTLY. his left knee wasnt 100% so by him favoring it too much ended up screwing up the other one...

stupid punk

tlongII
04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Man I hope he's back to 100% next season. He is so fun to watch.

MoSpur
04-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Its two surgeries in one season. It doesn't seem like much, but his body won't be the same. A ball player's knees are very important. If you don't have those things, you aren't anything. A lot of times guys lose confidence when their knees start having problems. I hope this isn't the case in Amare's situation. He is very good and hasn't even scratched the surface.

timvp
04-05-2006, 03:18 PM
Whenever you start cutting, it's downhill from there. They could actually go in this right knee and see extensive damage and do microfracture surgery on it, too.

Now I don't think there is any way for Amare to come back and be the same athlete he was prior to the surgeries. Too bad for him.

boutons_
04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Too bad for all of us.

yeahone
04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
well he did guaranttee that they would win the title this year

baseline bum
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Whenever you start cutting, it's downhill from there. They could actually go in this right knee and see extensive damage and do microfracture surgery on it, too.

Now I don't think there is any way for Amare to come back and be the same athlete he was prior to the surgeries. Too bad for him.

God, I hope not. As big of a Spurs fan as I am, I'm a bigger fan of the NBA and Stoudemire is one of the best I've ever seen. I think he has it in him to be Hakeem Olajuwon good with the right coaching, and it would be devastating to basketball fans worldwide if he can't be the guy he was. If he's 100% I think the Suns win the title next season.

slayermin
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Sad. Very sad.

Antonio McDyess was able to salvage his career. Hopefully Amare keeps his work ethic and turns into the best player his body will allow him to be.

jochhejaam
04-05-2006, 07:01 PM
God, I hope not. As big of a Spurs fan as I am, I'm a bigger fan of the NBA and Stoudemire is one of the best I've ever seen.
Well said Baseline.

Only 23 years old, hope he recovers and can get back to pre-injury form.

Obstructed_View
04-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Man I hope he's back to 100% next season. He is so fun to watch.
Werd.

Rummpd
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Scrap the summer event - the risk is not worth it.