PDA

View Full Version : Spurs MVP, Parker or Duncan?

zocool16
04-05-2006, 01:47 PM
This season, some would say that Tony Parker has been the Spurs' MVP, and rightfully so; others(like me) however would point out that Tim Duncan is still the team's MVP. What do you think? Let's say that one of them wasn't there, do you think a Parker-less spurs team would win more games and be better of than a Duncan-less one? or would it be th other way around? I personally incline towards a team with Duncan there because of how the Spurs system works; Tim gets the ball and everyone scatters around, that's how the Spurs half-court offense runs (of course when Parker isn't running past everybody and scoring an easy deuce). so given all their great skills and few of their deficiences, who do u think is the leader of this team? who's the MVP? who could the Spurs survive without?

This isn't intended to be a persuasive thread, just want to know you guys' opinions .

Old School Chic
04-05-2006, 01:48 PM
None of the above...

It should be

MANU

SAGambler
04-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Wow.. That's just too hard. I hate to think of the Spurs minus either of them.

You are right, in that the offense runs through Tim. But then I wonder, with Tim being less that 100% most of the year, where would the Spurs be without the leadership Tony has shown?

Then of course, you have to consider Manu, who it seems when things aren't going so well, seems to pick it up a notch and get them back into games. Or who takes over in the fourth and seldom misses a free throw down the final stretch.

I guess I just have to go back to what I have always said about this team. It is a TEAM. And if you take away one of the pieces, who knows what would happen.

Leetonidas
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Tony Parker has been consistent all year. Tony is our MVP right now.

Trifecta
04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Tony Parker has been consistent all year. Tony is our MVP right now.

Agreed :tu

Nikos
04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Offensive MVP = Tony Parker
Defensive MVP = Tim Duncan

Overall MVP = Tim Duncan

spur219
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
It would be Tony Parker. Duncan and Manu been hurt pretty much all year. Parker has been consistent and been the leader.

Leetonidas
04-05-2006, 02:11 PM

Overall MVP = Tim Duncan

Not even. Bowen is the defensive MVP. If you haven't noticed, Tim's defense is not really as good this year because of the PF.

Duncanoypi
04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
In Spurs team all are MVP's...the system, the teamwork and even we have the Most Valuable coach....

SAGambler
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Not even. Bowen is the defensive MVP. If you haven't noticed, Tim's defense is not really as good this year because of the PF.

Isn't Bruce ALWAYS our defensive MVP?

TDMVPDPOY
04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
without tp and the way td n manu has played we will be around the .600 mark and playoff bound 5-6postion, now without td, um lottery.

in td i trust only!

DarkReign
04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
TP = Spurs MVP

I dont think its even close. Obviously, Spurs fans have an affection for TD (totally understandable). But an unbias, objective view (or how about just my opinion :))?

TP. No question

Spurologist
04-05-2006, 02:32 PM

Overall MVP = Tim Duncan

right, wrong, wrong

Defensive MVP = Bruce Bowen

Overall MVP = Tony Parker

Tim Duncan has had no where near the defensive excellence he's had previous years. He's playing well as of late though (3 blks in the first quarter last night is impressive). Bowen has been the spurs best and most consistent defender all year. He guards positions 1-4 and switches back and forth periodically game by game or play by play as it was with Arenas and Jameson. Bowen even has a case for the spurs MVP but tp has played too well. G. Anthony listed him last night as his top 3 mvp.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I think Duncan is still the MVP. I mean come on, Tony is only averaging about one more point than Tim is and that is solely because Tim anchors the offense. Plus on defense Tim is way more productive as well. I don't think anyone can say either Tp or Manu are more important than Tim, it was stupid last season, it is stupid now.

Warlord23
04-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Without Tony, the Spurs would be a lot less effective on offense. Lane penetration and open looks for our shooters would be lesser overall. However, Manu's drives, 4-down and pick-n-roll would partly cover up some of that.

Without Tim, the interior defense would be poor. The Spurs' perimeter defense, which is predicated on funneling teams into the bigs, would need to be altered. And that's not all: the Spurs would become one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA. Even with Tim grabbing 11+ per game, we get outrebounded by physical frontcourts. If all we have is Nazr/Rasho/Horry/Oberto/Marks, we'd give up more offensive boards than the Suns did last year.

The Spurs are actually 3rd in the league in eFG% at 51.3 %. Parker's eFG% is 55.3%. It's higher than the team average but not way higher. Of course as I said, our shooters would get less open looks and would not shoot as well. Overall Parker's absence would have a moderately significant impact.

The Spurs don't make the top 10 in rebounding differential or rebounding %. No two ways about it: it's a glaring weakness which has gotten exposed in more than a few games. In that scenario, you take out the league's 5th best rebounder, and it's over: 80% of the league would be comfortably outrebounding us. Also Duncan alone accounts for half the shots blocked by the Spurs. More importantly, teams would lose the fear of driving on our defense. Nazr and Horry won't intimidate anybody in the paint.

The Spurs have been getting away with starting stiffs at one of the frontcourt positions because the other frontcourt spot is occupied by the best big man in the league. Take him away and it would get ugly.

angel_luv
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I am not discounting either Timmy or Gino's contributions- love them both and everyone has played a part in our success.

But I would have to give the MVP to Tony. He has been the most exceptional and the most consistent of our main three all year.

ducks
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
None of the above...

It should be

MANU

what makes you say that since manu has been hurt alot this year

because you think he is better loking then tony :spin

gospursgojas
04-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Tony

Spurologist
04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I think Duncan is still the MVP. I mean come on, Tony is only averaging about one more point than Tim is and that is solely because Tim anchors the offense. Plus on defense Tim is way more productive as well. I don't think anyone can say either Tp or Manu are more important than Tim, it was stupid last season, it is stupid now.

Yes TD is more important than tp, but we are talking about MVP. It is clear that tp has been the more VALUABLE player for the spurs this season. TP has kept and saved the spurs in more games this season. It was sad sometimes when TD could barely get off the ground.

TD WILL ALWAYS BE MORE IMPORTANT

Jimcs50
04-05-2006, 03:04 PM
TP was the MVP this year.

nkdlunch
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Who cares? Just win

plus when playoffs are said and done, that's when we'll know who's MVP

RobinsontoDuncan
04-05-2006, 03:08 PM
None of the above...

It should be

MANU

Yeah right, manu has only come on of late and he has strugled more than Duncan this year.

Tony is the only guy that has been consistant on this years team and has, in my opinion, forever ended the debate on who the real number 2 option is.

Fabbs
04-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Nothing wrong with this thread topic.

However, aren't we glad we care much more about the team title.
Let the L.A. Flamers types worry about who their teams MVP is.

v2000
04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
whoever says TP or Manu are the Spurs MVP has no idea what they are talking about. Without Duncan, this is a very average team. Duncan completely opens up that offense. Sure, he may be hurt, but teams are still paying at least twice as much attention to what he does on offense than Parker or Ginobili. Without Duncan there to absorb all sorts of attention, double, and sometimes triple teams, Parker and Ginobili would not have NEARLY the number of open lanes and shots. And on defense, there is no question that they need Duncan. Really, the defense is more about the system, and great teamwork. The Spurs have an amazing defense, but with Duncan manning the middle, it lets other guys spend more time defending the perimeter, which makes it so much easier for the rest of the guys. It keeps them a little more fresh for the offense. And all of you who are saying that bullshit about Duncan and Ginobili being hurt... well, Ginobili was hurt at the START of the year. Duncan has been a little tweaked, but is still playing great, and is still the best PF in the game, and probably the best PF of all time. Duncan is WITHOUT QUESTION this teams MVP, and still will be for several more years.

Tim Duncan is the Spurs. Without Duncan, they have no chance of winning anything. However, they can still win without Ginobili or Parker. THAT is how you define an MVP. NOT by the numbers they put up.

Fabbs
04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
However, they can still win without Ginobili or Parker....

negatory. Spurs without Manu or with superhobbled but playing SuperManu vs Pistons last year were flat and got punked twice. I'm not saying Manu is the MVP but I am saying he was key player and made many key plays in Spurs wins.

v2000
04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
negatory. Spurs without Manu or with superhobbled but playing SuperManu vs Pistons last year were flat and got punked twice. I'm not saying Manu is the MVP but I am saying he was key player and made many key plays in Spurs wins.
i agree. he is a very key player. just like Josh Howard is a very key player for the Mavericks. or how Shawn Marion is a very key player for the Suns. these teams clearly won't do as well without these players, but they are still very good teams (although I'd say Marion is more valuable to the Suns than Howard is to the Mavs or Ginobili is to the Spurs, but you get the point...)

Nikos
04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
right, wrong, wrong

Defensive MVP = Bruce Bowen

Overall MVP = Tony Parker

Tim Duncan has had no where near the defensive excellence he's had previous years. He's playing well as of late though (3 blks in the first quarter last night is impressive). Bowen has been the spurs best and most consistent defender all year. He guards positions 1-4 and switches back and forth periodically game by game or play by play as it was with Arenas and Jameson. Bowen even has a case for the spurs MVP but tp has played too well. G. Anthony listed him last night as his top 3 mvp.

The way I look at it is Tim is simply a more valuable defensive piece to the team. He is more valuable of a defender because of his team defense. Take Bowen off the team I think the team is still excellent on defense. Take Duncan off the team and I don't think the team is as good on defense, even if you can find a replacement player who is very effective on offense. Big men tend to be more valuable on defense IMO.

ducks
04-05-2006, 03:56 PM

we are talking about this year not last year
parker is >>>>>then last year

ducks
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
tp has talked about why he is more responisible for more scoring this year
because manu and duncan are not up to it
so is duncan the main ancor this year?
I do not think so I think it is more of a balance attack or more facor of tp

v2000
04-05-2006, 04:00 PM
100 agreed. You sir, are one smart Spurs fan.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Since this is a specific team MVP, let's keep everyone happy with awards.

Overall all-around MVP: TD
Offensive MVP: Parker
Defensive MVP: Bruce
Close, difficult games and playoffs MVP: Manu
Clutch MVP: Horry

...and so on.

Sportman
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Tony parker WITHOUT A DOUBT. Tim is going to be always the mvp of this team but we can deny the season tony is having.

smeagol
04-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Oberto

ducks
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM

...and so on.

how can you say manu is the mvp for the playoffs when they have not played any playoff games :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

if he plays like last year in playoffs he might be but he has not played as good as last year yet this year

Old School Chic
04-05-2006, 04:15 PM
what makes you say that since manu has been hurt alot this year

because you think he is better loking then tony :spin

Manu deserves the world :makeout

smeagol
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah right, manu has only come on of late and he has strugled more than Duncan this year.

Tony is the only guy that has been consistant on this years team and has, in my opinion, forever ended the debate on who the real number 2 option is.
IMO, the debate is still alive until TP proves himself in the playoffs just like Manu proved himself in last year's playoffs. Moreover, Manu continues to be the number one or two option in the 4th quarter.

Fabbs
04-05-2006, 04:22 PM

...and so on.

beautiful. Let the Kobme types squabble over the rest.

Leetonidas
04-05-2006, 05:00 PM
whoever says TP or Manu are the Spurs MVP has no idea what they are talking about. Without Duncan, this is a very average team. Duncan completely opens up that offense. Sure, he may be hurt, but teams are still paying at least twice as much attention to what he does on offense than Parker or Ginobili. Without Duncan there to absorb all sorts of attention, double, and sometimes triple teams, Parker and Ginobili would not have NEARLY the number of open lanes and shots. And on defense, there is no question that they need Duncan. Really, the defense is more about the system, and great teamwork. The Spurs have an amazing defense, but with Duncan manning the middle, it lets other guys spend more time defending the perimeter, which makes it so much easier for the rest of the guys. It keeps them a little more fresh for the offense. And all of you who are saying that bullshit about Duncan and Ginobili being hurt... well, Ginobili was hurt at the START of the year. Duncan has been a little tweaked, but is still playing great, and is still the best PF in the game, and probably the best PF of all time. Duncan is WITHOUT QUESTION this teams MVP, and still will be for several more years.

Tim Duncan is the Spurs. Without Duncan, they have no chance of winning anything. However, they can still win without Ginobili or Parker. THAT is how you define an MVP. NOT by the numbers they put up.

Get it through your fucking head. Even though Tim may be the cause of Tony's scoring, it's TONY'S scoring, no one elses. Tony Parker has scored the points, dished the assists, hit the big shots, and recently began to stroke his free throws. The Spurs would not have one the trophy last year without Manu, Tim, or Tony. Take any of those players out and you have no ring.

We all know Tim Duncan is the best and he is our franchise, but he is not the Spurs' MVP right now because he is no as consistent nor does he carry the team or produce like Tony. Without Tony's increased scoring, we're in the number four seat. Tim Duncan is injured, and there's no doubt in my mind that if he wasn't, he'd be the MVP and the Spurs would have the #1 seed in the NBA by 4 or 5 games, but Tim has been injured, and this is Tony's season right now.

Lady M
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Without Tim Tony or Manu= no NBA champion
we need all
TP play very well in more game this year but Tim play with bad plantar

1Parker1
04-05-2006, 05:10 PM
He was the MVP in almost all the big games we've played this season. From the 26 points he scored in our first game against the Nuggets this season to the 30 points he scored @ Dallas, to the 38 points he scored @ Miami, to even the 32 points he scored @ Toronto in OT without Duncan.

No one is discrediting the importance of Duncan to the team or denying that he's the #1 option, if healthy, on our team. But the bottom line is, Tim hasn't been healthy for the majority of this season and Tony's stepped up his game in ways none of imagined this season. So yes, for this season, I'd say that Tony is the Spurs MVP.

Kori Ellis
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Take Bowen off the team I think the team is still excellent on defense.

Take Bowen off the Spurs and the Spurs would suck.

I think obviously Tony is the MVP so far this season. He has held it together all year.

But what really matters is the playoffs. Manu, Tony, Tim and Bruce need to play like MVPs and go win this thing. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Old School Chic
04-05-2006, 05:16 PM

I think obviously Tony is the MVP so far this season. He has held it together all year.

But what really matters is the playoffs. Manu, Tony, Tim and Bruce need to play like MVPs and go win this thing. :flag: :flag: :flag:

Listen to the :princess of Spurstalk She knows the game

v2000
04-05-2006, 05:57 PM
The Spurs would not have one the trophy last year without Manu, Tim, or Tony. Take any of those players out and you have no ring.

Without Tim, they arent even in the playoffs. They were like 6-7 last year without him, and they played mostly shitty teams through that period. Dallas was one of the only good teams they played, and they got their asses handed to them.

And as for the "its Tony's scoring" stuff... do you think that without Jordan drawing up triple teams, Steve Kerr or John Paxon would have made game winners in the NBA Finals??? Hell, without Jordan, they wouldn't have even been in the Finals in the first place. If it weren't for Duncan drawing double and triple teams, the Mavs would most likely have beaten the Spurs in game 6 in 03 and sent the series to a game 7. Without Duncan drawing those, Steven Jackson and Steve Kerr would not have had all those open looks. You seriously are a model of ignorance, and homerism.

Anyways, smartass... you clearly misunderstood the point, and obviously pick and choose what you read. I also said that without a good role player, like Manu, they wouldnt be as good. You are one stupid fucking cunt.

v2000
04-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Anyone who picks Parker over Duncan is a damn fool and know NOTHING about how the game of basketball works
EXACTLY. Parker may have been playing better than anyone on the team, but without Duncan, he would not have anywhere NEAR 50% shooting, and while his assist to turnover ratio already isnt very good, it would probably be even worse without Duncan.

v2000
04-05-2006, 06:01 PM
Listen to the :princess of Spurstalk She knows the game
Saying stuff like that shows she CLEARLY doesnt know the game. Although losing Bowen would definitely hurt the team, but they wont SUCK. they would still be a good team, because they have Tim Duncan. And again... without Duncan, Parker wouldnt be NEARLY as productive.

Nikos
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM

You kidding me? Bowen off the Spurs and the Spurs SUCK on D? Bowen alone makes them elite? I don't think a perimeter defensive stopper could ever be as valuable as a big man defender who is elite. Actually I would say when Duncan is 100% he is easily the more valuable defender. Unless you are judging by the notion that Duncan is 70% on D this year?

v2freak
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
100% Duncan. Parker falls in love with his shot way too often and sometimes strays from the game plan in order to fulfill his quest for impressive box scores.

Duncan is usually patient and the offense runs through him without a hitch.

Leetonidas
04-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Without Tim, they arent even in the playoffs. They were like 6-7 last year without him, and they played mostly shitty teams through that period. Dallas was one of the only good teams they played, and they got their asses handed to them.

And as for the "its Tony's scoring" stuff... do you think that without Jordan drawing up triple teams, Steve Kerr or John Paxon would have made game winners in the NBA Finals??? Hell, without Jordan, they wouldn't have even been in the Finals in the first place. If it weren't for Duncan drawing double and triple teams, the Mavs would most likely have beaten the Spurs in game 6 in 03 and sent the series to a game 7. Without Duncan drawing those, Steven Jackson and Steve Kerr would not have had all those open looks. You seriously are a model of ignorance, and homerism.

Anyways, smartass... you clearly misunderstood the point, and obviously pick and choose what you read. I also said that without a good role player, like Manu, they wouldnt be as good. You are one stupid fucking cunt.

You're such a fucking retard. Go stick to getting owned in the NBA Forum, because you have no god damn takes. Without Tim, the Spurs would be a playoff team, not a good one, but they would be there. No one is fucking questioning his importance, dumbshit, but if you really think Tony Parker has not be the #1 reason to our success this season, you have your head so far up your ass that it's not even funny.

wildbill2u
04-05-2006, 06:36 PM
This season, some would say that Tony Parker has been the Spurs' MVP, and rightfully so; others(like me) however would point out that Tim Duncan is still the team's MVP. What do you think? Let's say that one of them wasn't there, do you think a Parker-less spurs team would win more games and be better of than a Duncan-less one? or would it be th other way around? I personally incline towards a team with Duncan there because of how the Spurs system works; Tim gets the ball and everyone scatters around, that's how the Spurs half-court offense runs (of course when Parker isn't running past everybody and scoring an easy deuce). so given all their great skills and few of their deficiences, who do u think is the leader of this team? who's the MVP? who could the Spurs survive without?

This isn't intended to be a persuasive thread, just want to know you guys' opinions .

If both are healthy and playing well, then Tim is still our go to guy that makes everything work. And he's still important although this season he hasn't played up to his standards.

That's why Tony is our MVP this year. without his contributions in taking up the scoring slack from Tim for most of the year, we would not be leading the West and approaching a historic win/loss record.

Brutalis
04-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Our franchise player. Timvp.

Rick Von Braun
04-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Ask any GM/coach the following question:

If you have to pick one player from the current team, who would you take?

I would say the majority would pick Tim Duncan.

Rick Von Braun
04-05-2006, 06:58 PM
You kidding me? Bowen off the Spurs and the Spurs SUCK on D? Bowen alone makes them elite? I don't think a perimeter defensive stopper could ever be as valuable as a big man defender who is elite. Actually I would say when Duncan is 100% he is easily the more valuable defender. Unless you are judging by the notion that Duncan is 70% on D this year?

I actually agree with Nikos here... Bowen is a very important player defensively, but the Spurs defense is anchored with Tim Duncan.

I was very keen regarding this precise point during last year's playoffs. Duncan offensive output could be replaced by committee with the emergence of TP, Manu and the bench (including Finley, Horry, Barry and Beno). Duncan is completely irreplaceable on the defensive end though.

Leetonidas
04-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Ask any GM/coach the following question:

If you have to pick one player from the current team, who would you take?

I would say the majority would pick Tim Duncan.

Do you really agree he's been more valuable than Tony? I'd take Tim over anyone in the league (except maybe Amare and King James).

zocool16
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
tony deserves the recognition as the spurs' mvp, but in our hearts i think we know that the spurs are tim duncan; they've always been, and even hobbled he still is. Tony has stepped up so much that he deserves recognition as the MVP, but I think that Tim Duncan is still what the Spurs are about. :-) and I'm glad that it's still that.

zocool16
04-05-2006, 07:12 PM
i think a good example of my point would be the Clippers game at Los Angeles, we didn't look that horrible without TP. even though he's a huge part of what we do.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
No offense to Tony who's done a stellar job at tightening up the Spurs slack, with him we haven't skipped a beat even with Tim and Manu down....Other teams aren't that fortunate.

HOWEVER, until the playoffs come around and Tony becomes this unstoppable offensive machine like Stoudamire or Manu last year, we shouldn't jump the gun in crowning him yet. Regular Season success is ALL TALK; it gets the sportswriters talking, it gets the fans something to chat about because there's nothing else going on at the time. Suns and Kings are proof that talk is cheap.

If you want to really consider MVP then look at the games when key players were out. When Manu was out in December the Win/Loss ratio was probably the worst til we got him back. Then you got Tim out in February and they became a totally offensive team against the CRAPTORS! that was more embarassing. And it was a close game. With Tony out last week or so. They didn't really miss him.

Tim is the MVP because he changes the game the most regardless if he sucks his presence is there. Who's the real number 2 option debate is stupid because Tony's just a scorer right now. His defense is solid but he doesn't really do much without the ball in his hand like Tim and Manu, who distract defenses and make key plays. I'm sorry but after last year's playoff rep, Manu has had his share of double teams like Tim. It's that much harder this year with Tim AND Manu on the floor regardless if they were only 60 percent this year. Against the Pistons defense, they know how to shut down Tony's layups, and we've yet to see how Tony will adjust to their defense.

Tony's still really young so I still see him as a work in progress. This isn't the Lakers where people pick and choose. You root for everyone's strengths on the Spurs.

ColoradoSpursFan
04-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Tim Duncan as MVP is a stretch. Of course Tim Duncan is our franchise player that has not really been as clutch as he can be if healthy.

Personality contest aside - Tony has been most improved and relatively healthy.

We don't have the luxury of seeing an extended period of him being out.

He is starting to extend his range slightly to the 3 point range. Once that is second nature - he will be demanding double teams. Defenses have a hard time stopping him from dancing thru the paint.

Tim has really played well thru PF and has done one hell of a great job. Demanding double teams, etc.

I think the playoffs will be the true test - we know it could be either one.

Manu has streaks of brilliance but not MVP as of yet. I am afraid of another tweaked ankle and he is out for a while.

Basically - this rant is about Tony as being the MVP based on his current performance.

v2000
04-05-2006, 08:20 PM
You're such a fucking retard. Go stick to getting owned in the NBA Forum, because you have no god damn takes. Without Tim, the Spurs would be a playoff team, not a good one, but they would be there. No one is fucking questioning his importance, dumbshit, but if you really think Tony Parker has not be the #1 reason to our success this season, you have your head so far up your ass that it's not even funny.
haha, i think i just owned your ass. when you stick to non-stop cussing and insults, you just got owned you homer. why dont you PROVE why Parker is the team MVP, instead of just throwing insults? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.

oh, and your grammar is quite bad. "...but if you think Tony Parker has not be the #1 reason..."

has not BE??? what the hell is that?

next...

Leetonidas
04-06-2006, 02:09 PM
haha, i think i just owned your ass. when you stick to non-stop cussing and insults, you just got owned you homer. why dont you PROVE why Parker is the team MVP, instead of just throwing insults? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T.

oh, and your grammar is quite bad. "...but if you think Tony Parker has not be the #1 reason..."

has not BE??? what the hell is that?

next...

My grammar is bad? Look at you, you can't even capitalize your words.

Tony Parker is averaging more points than Tim, has more 30 point games than him, and has carried the team when needed. Tim's not doing the scoring, and Tim's not beating the other PG's to the rim, Tony Parker is. Tony Parker is finally starting to be consistent with his midrange game while Tim Duncan has lost his bank shot, Tony shoots a better FT% than Tim and Tony also has a higher FG% than him.

What the hell else do you want? For Tony to school Terry's ass tomorrow? Tim Duncan is this franchise, but with his injuries, Tony has been our MVP. And if anyone really think Tim is the MVP with the way he's playing, than we're in trouble come playoff time.

And v2000, do everyone on this forum, shut the fuck up, and go put Dirk's cock back in your mouth because no one here likes you and your takes absolutely suck more dick than Keith Van Horn.

Kori Ellis
04-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Saying stuff like that shows she CLEARLY doesnt know the game. Although losing Bowen would definitely hurt the team, but they wont SUCK. they would still be a good team, because they have Tim Duncan. And again... without Duncan, Parker wouldnt be NEARLY as productive.

Duncan has been pretty horrible on defense this year. Thus if you took Bowen of the Spurs this season, the whole defensive system would go down the drain and they'd suck. I'm standing by that statement. Even though v2000 :rolleyes doesn't think I know anything about basketball.

Leetonidas
04-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Kori only writes for the Spurs and follows them, what does she know about basketball from some retarded Mav fan, right? :rolleyes

v2000
04-06-2006, 02:21 PM
My grammar is bad? Look at you, you can't even capitalize your words.

Tony Parker is averaging more points than Tim, has more 30 point games than him, and has carried the team when needed. Tim's not doing the scoring, and Tim's not beating the other PG's to the rim, Tony Parker is. Tony Parker is finally starting to be consistent with his midrange game while Tim Duncan has lost his bank shot, Tony shoots a better FT% than Tim and Tony also has a higher FG% than him.

What the hell else do you want? For Tony to school Terry's ass tomorrow? Tim Duncan is this franchise, but with his injuries, Tony has been our MVP. And if anyone really think Tim is the MVP with the way he's playing, than we're in trouble come playoff time.

And v2000, do everyone on this forum, shut the fuck up, and go put Dirk's cock back in your mouth because no one here likes you and your takes absolutely suck more dick than Keith Van Horn.
i dont capitalize because i dont want to. but there is a big difference between capitalization, which very few people do over the internet, and complete grammar problems.

you CLEARLY lack knowledge of basketball. maybe you should try PLAYING the game a little more, then you would understand how much Tim Duncan really helps Tony Parker. anyone that has really played basketball and truly understands the game knows how helpful it is to have a dominant big man inside, absorbing double and triple teams.

again, you have to resort to non-stop insults. give it up. you = my bitch.

v2000
04-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Duncan has been pretty horrible on defense this year. Thus if you took Bowen of the Spurs this season, the whole defensive system would go down the drain and they'd suck. I'm standing by that statement. Even though v2000 :rolleyes doesn't think I know anything about basketball.
no, you clearly dont, if you say that without Bowen, the Spurs would suck. what are you going to do? ban me because im a mavs fan, and pointing out that you, along with a NUMBER of people here CLEARLY lack knowledge of the game? the only way you will truly understand the game is if you PLAY it.

Kori Ellis
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
no, you clearly dont, if you say that without Bowen, the Spurs would suck. what are you going to do? ban me because im a mavs fan, and pointing out that you, along with a NUMBER of people here CLEARLY lack knowledge of the game? the only way you will truly understand the game is if you PLAY it.

If Duncan is playing horrible D like he has been this season and Bowen wasn't here, then how would the Spurs still be good defensively?

And if the Spurs aren't good defensively, then how would they still be a good team?

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 02:27 PM
If Duncan is playing horrible D like he has been this season and Bowen wasn't here, then how would the Spurs still be good defensively?

And if the Spurs aren't good defensively, then how would they still be a good team?

A Tony, Manu, Mike, Timmy, Nazr lineup is not a good team ?

Kori Ellis
04-06-2006, 02:29 PM
A Tony, Manu, Mike, Timmy, Nazr lineup is not a good team ?

Not defensively.

When Tim's 100% then sure it's good. But Tim hasn't been a good defender all season.

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 02:32 PM
You said that if they are not good defensively then they are not good.

The defense is spurs problem this year and I'm mad because they didn't pick it up and it's 2 weeks to tyhe playoffs. Seven games. Not much time fr Pop. Accualy - no time.

v2000
04-06-2006, 02:35 PM

Duncan has NOT been playing horrible D. sure, its not as good as its been in the past, but its still better than almost all PFs in the league. quit trying to exaggerate his injury. I havent seen him miss any games because of it. he has only missed one game all year.

Duncan has played great defense compared to my favorite player.

http://www.irk.cz/pictures/irk_hl_1.gif

Kori Ellis
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Duncan has NOT been playing horrible D. sure, its not as good as its been in the past, but its still better than almost all PFs in the league. quit trying to exaggerate his injury. I havent seen him miss any games because of it. he has only missed one game all year.

He has played horrible D compared to his normal D.

His injury isn't something that was going to get better by resting a few weeks or even a month, so they didn't sit him out.

v2000
04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
He has played horrible D compared to his normal D.

His injury isn't something that was going to get better by resting a few weeks or even a month, so they didn't sit him out.
yea, horrible D for him is still better than almost all PF's in the league. hes fine. maybe a LITTLE tweaked up, but thats it. he is still the best PF in the game today.

timvp
04-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Duncan's defense is at like 60% of his usual D. He's often slow to rotate and isn't even playing that well man-to-man. When players like Kenny Thomas and Mehmet Okur are blowing by him consistently, it's safe to say Duncan is nowhere close to where he once was.

Luckily, I think he can turn up the intensity in the playoffs.

T Park
04-06-2006, 02:49 PM
If Duncan, can't play 80% of his usual D, this team is losing in 5 to the Pistons.

If he can play 80% or better, this team still has a shot at the Finals.

Nikos
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
I still don't think Duncan has been 'THAT BAD' on D. Maybe 70% of his normal self but he is still an above average defensive presense, certainly more valuable than most, if not all perimeter defenders in this league.

If Bowen is really that dominant on D then he must be the Spurs best player (or 2nd) or the system really deserves most of the credit for the teams 58-17 record. I never seen a system and a perimeter lead defender this dominant on defense like the Spurs this season, they are still clearly the best defensive team in the league. On offense they are in the Top 10, but at the bottom of that pile. So their offense really is just above average and not great -- but very good.

Duncan is well below average on offense and according to you much worse on D. So how the are the Spurs winning?

(in order of importance)
1. Parker's offense
2. Spurs defensive system
3. Bowens defense
4. Duncan's Offense
5. Ginobili's efficient offense
6. Random role players shooting well on some nights and playing enough D when they have to.

Is that how the Spurs have 58 games? Duncan is clearly worse on offense this season, AND worse on defense. He practically isn't even that much more effective than Manu going by the stats, and certainly Tony is the teams #1 option and most valuable offensive player. How is the team this good despite the injuries? Chemistry? Luck?

I don't see how you can justify the Spurs being bad or well below average on defense if Bowen were not on the team. They still would be an above average defense, and maybe a better offensive team depending on who his replacement is. They would be worse overall of course considering Duncan's health -- but I still think Bowen's defensive impact is overstated (not that he isn't one of the best defenders in the league, and not that he doesn't help set the tone for the Spurs).

Please let me know the 4-5 main reasons the Spurs are winning (player wise and system)?