PDA

View Full Version : Aggies win!

Jimcs50
10-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Freaking Ags almost gave me a heart attack. They were up 18 with 7 1/2 mins left, then gave up 2 TDs and then let KSt get the ball back at midfield with 2 and 1/2 mins left and only down 5 before finally stopping them on downs. Ags were trying to run out the clock and then Reggie McNeal on 3rd and 3 broke through the middle and out ran the KSt secondary to the endzone to clinch the win. Great game. The Aggies are back baby!!!

IcemanCometh
10-03-2004, 09:15 AM
back to mediocrity, wooo wooo

Marcus Bryant
10-03-2004, 11:37 AM
No, that's next weekend for Roscoe and your horns against the evil Stoops.

xrayzebra
10-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Yep Jim it was a really good game. Like you I thought the had really
screwed up, but that last TD put it on ice.

samikeyp
10-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Gotta give the Ags props. They looked really good. I am not a Aggie fan but home state loyalty dictates I root for them against a non-Texas team. That and I think Bill Snyder is a major asshole for the way he dissed San Antonio after the Ags punked him in the Big XII title game a few years back and K-State was coming to the Alamo Bowl.

Jimcs50
10-03-2004, 09:44 PM
OU will kill your dirtbag Teasippers this weekend....hohum.

Louae
10-04-2004, 04:59 PM
back to mediocrity, wooo wooo

Typical comment from a Longhorn sheep. I bet this guy loves Rosco and top ten finishes beating up on high school teams while never winning conference.

Louae
10-04-2004, 05:01 PM
No, that's next weekend for Roscoe and your horns against the evil Stoops.

I hate Rosco. Rosco needs to go.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
It was a great win, I about had heart failure too.

Iceman sure is talking a lot of shit for someone who is a few days away from their annual ass kicking at the hands of OU.

jalbre6
10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
And A&M fared so much better against OU, too.

http://www.newspagedesigner.com/users/317/ouch%20copy.jpg

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2004, 05:01 PM
At least A&M has beaten the evil Stoops this century.

Was 65-13 really that much better?

jalbre6
10-05-2004, 05:04 PM
At least Stoops has beaten us evil Tea-sips this century.

Oops.

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2004, 05:07 PM
That's ok, until you manage 10 of 11 I wouldn't talk.

jalbre6
10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
I will say this for A&M, though. It does everybody in the state good when the Aggies are better than the 4-8 and 6-6 of the last two seasons, including UT. Recruiting both in-state (less players going to OU, Florida schools, Lincoln, et al) and out-of-state (more spotlight) is easier when your rivals are competitive and winning games. I like it a lot better when the Horns play an Aggie team that is also ranked. If UT wins, the victory means more to the polls, especially since they play so late in the season. If UT loses, at least they lost to a ranked opponent instead of a league doormat. When McNeal and the Ag's knocked off OU in '02, believe me, every 'Horns fan worth a damn was happy about it, especially since the Sooners kicked our boys teeth in that October. Were we worried that A&M might have been the giant killer we now associate with Okie State? Well, yeah. But any conference loss for those bastards in Norman is a good one.

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2004, 06:00 PM
I think it's better to get blown out when you are in a rebuilding year rather than when you are supposed to win a national championship, but that's just me, I suppose.

jalbre6
10-05-2004, 06:16 PM
To hell with rebuilding. When your season is only 10-12 games long and most of your players are only there for four years at the max, you want to win every time you step onto the field. Nobody mails it in. And it is never good to get blown out the way that A&M (and Texas, for that matter) was by the Sooners.

And there is no such thing as "supposed to win a national championship". You either win or you lose. It's a better rivalry when both teams are good, and the games mean more. If the Horns fall on Saturday, you bet your ass I'll be hoping A&M gets revenge for the shellacking they took last season. Even if UT wins, I'll still hope the Ag's beat them.

I'd be pretty optimistic if I was an A&M fan right now. The only loss of the season was to a very good BCS darkhorse in Utah, and popping K-State and Clemson were big W's for a "rebuilding" team. Of course Wyoming doesn't mean much, but the Horns had UNT on their sked too.

Marcus Bryant
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
To hell with rebuilding. When your season is only 10-12 games long and most of your players are only there for four years at the max, you want to win every time you step onto the field. Nobody mails it in. And

It's ok, they had a coaching change, much like the one Texas is about to experience.

But at this point I wouldn't mind seeing Texas pull off the upset, just to keep their fans sane.

jalbre6
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Do you really think that Mack will get canned if they lose this game again? I hear the grumblings too, but 10-3, 11-2, 11-2, 9-3, 9-5, and 9-3 is a pretty impressive run at UT. Going to either the Holiday or the Cotton Bowl every year might get old, but it's going to be tough to replace (and replicate, for that matter) that kind of success. Who can they get to replace him? Spurrier? Dan Hawkins from Boise State? Pat HIll from Fresno?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
The fact is Mack's window is closing. He had one while he had the supposed "greatest recruiting class ever", A&M was down, media in love with him, etc.

A&M went through its rebuilding season last year, 14 of our 22 starters for KSU were either true fish or redshirt freshmen.

that should set off some bells in the land of the orange.

Louae
10-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Do you really think that Mack will get canned if they lose this game again? I hear the grumblings too, but 10-3, 11-2, 11-2, 9-3, 9-5, and 9-3 is a pretty impressive run at UT. Going to either the Holiday or the Cotton Bowl every year might get old, but it's going to be tough to replace (and replicate, for that matter) that kind of success. Who can they get to replace him? Spurrier? Dan Hawkins from Boise State? Pat HIll from Fresno?

Unfortunately, Rosco's record against top 25 opponents is a losing one. And the percentage takes a bigger dip as the opponents get tougher. Rosco's pretty records are established against lesser competition.

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 11:51 AM
The "Rosco" smack is hilarious. :lol

Mack Brown brought Texas from mediocrity to a level of being competitive. However, he has been unable to bring the program to the level above that which is winning championships. If Bob Stoops, Larry Coker or Bobby Bowden had the recruiting classes Brown has had...they would have all won national championships. Face it, Brown does not have what it takes to win the big games...unless you count A&M and of late, that has not been that big of a game, footballwise. That is changing. A&M is starting to play well. I am a huge Longhorn fan but I do not have any faith in Mack Brown to take UT to the next level. Stoops owns him and if he is not careful, Franchione will reach up and punk his ass too. As a UT fan, of course I want the Longhorns to win Saturday and I know that Texas has the talent to win....just not the coaching.

Louae
10-06-2004, 12:03 PM

Mack Brown brought Texas from mediocrity to a level of being competitive. However, he has been unable to bring the program to the level above that which is winning championships. If Bob Stoops, Larry Coker or Bobby Bowden had the recruiting classes Brown has had...they would have all won national championships. Face it, Brown does not have what it takes to win the big games...unless you count A&M and of late, that has not been that big of a game, footballwise. That is changing. A&M is starting to play well. I am a huge Longhorn fan but I do not have any faith in Mack Brown to take UT to the next level. Stoops owns him and if he is not careful, Franchione will reach up and punk his ass too. As a UT fan, of course I want the Longhorns to win Saturday and I know that Texas has the talent to win....just not the coaching.

The similiarities are striking...

http://www.jamesbest.com/fullsize/1.jpg

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/images/2001_02/main_images/mackphotos/mackbrown_greet.jpg

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Damn! :wow

That is scary! :lol

Louae
10-06-2004, 12:22 PM

I didn't used to be so negative about MB. But as the years have passed, I've seen many things I hate about the man. I hate his tendency to schedule the weakest opponents for non-conference games. And yes, I understand it's not healthy to schedule a tough non-conference schedule if you're chasing a national championship, but must we schedule the bottom of the barrel teams who have no shot of making us sweat. I'm tired of the North Texas's, New Mexico States, Houston's and Rice teams. Next year's two year commitment with Ohio State will be the last of the Mackovic era and I expect nothing less than the weakest opponents from Mack Brown to play in Royal Memorial Stadium. The only opponent he's schedule who was worth a damn was Arkansas and when he scheduled them, he thought he was scheduling a bottom of the barrel team. Unfortunately for him, the team got a little better by the time the moment of truth came.

The next thing I hate about the man is his refusal to change his assistants. I honestly believe he would've kept Carl Reese just as he kept Greg Davis if Reese hadn't resigned. That's just plain unacceptable. Heck, I've been wanting to release Greg Davis before last year. That man is just plain imcompetent. But Rosco is backing him like never before.

The next thing I hate about the man is his tendency to baby his players and never hold them accountable. I hate that he's thin skinned and he spins to no end. His spinning is endless. I'll never forget about his comment about facing a tough season ahead and facing a tough schedule. Yeah, give me a break. There is one team on that schedule who has any business giving the longhorns trouble. The only reason we have trouble against any of the teams not named OU is b/c Rosco is an incompetent head coach.

jalbre6
10-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I don't fault anyone for scheduling patsies for non-conference games, especially since the conference is heavy with good teams. OU has scheduled UNT, Tulsa, UTEP, Houston, and Bowling Green over the last couple of years. Nebraska has scheduled Western Illinois and Southern Miss just this season. K-State's annual preseason cakewalk includes the likes of Western Kentucky, UL-Lafayette, McNeese State, UMass, and Eastern Illinois. UT scheduling creampuffs is no big deal to me, anyways.

The "Oh shit, it's OU time, let's deviate from the game plan!" thing that Greg Davis does pisses me off, but the ultimate responsibility still falls on the head coach. It's hard to believe that so much time has passed since McWilliams and Mackovic were trying to run the program into the ground that now as fans we're not satisfied with nine win seasons, but I guess that's how it goes in big-time D-1 ball. I think if us UT fans are content with winning 9-10 games every year, we should just let Mack (or Roscoe, if you boys prefer) be. He obvoiusly does a few things, like recruiting, as good or better than any other coach in the country.

If we start thinking that we need an upgrade, UT runs the risk of how Nebraska shot itself in the foot after dismissing Solich, and then settling for an NFL coach in Bill Callahan that won 4 games the year before. Don't forget the munity in the Oakland locker room last season, too. UT doesn't need a mediocre pro coach, since the Horns already have Greg Robinson, who Chiefs defense ranked 28th in the NFL last year running their D.

samikeyp
10-06-2004, 01:53 PM
I agree completely. He and his assistants do not try to win the big game...they try not to lose the big game.

BTW...look for that Ohio State committment to be bought out or somehow otherwise cancelled.

Louae
10-06-2004, 03:26 PM
UT doesn't need a mediocre pro coach, since the Horns already have Greg Robinson, who Chiefs defense ranked 28th in the NFL last year running their D.

This is the one of the reason I hate Rosco. I never touch his ability as a recruiter and a great figure head. But the man can't coach X's and O's. His imcompetence in hiring coordinators who can make up for his weaknesses is horrible.

As for Nebraska, I agree. I don't want to follow their path down the road to mediocrity. We need to pull a Dallas where we have a great coach in line to take the position before releasing Rosco. As bad as Rosco is as an X's and O's coach or as a leader, he's still the best damn recruiter in the country and that is worth waiting around another season or so to grab a great coach to replace him.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-06-2004, 05:42 PM
the best damn recruiter in the country

I think right now that honor goes to Stoops. And I think that Bowden, Meyer, Franchione, Rodriguez, Coker, and Saban aren't far behind (along with Mack).

IcemanCometh
10-06-2004, 06:48 PM
I think right now that honor goes to Stoops. And I think that Bowden, Meyer, Franchione, Rodriguez, Coker, and Saban aren't far behind (along with Mack).

ha, haha,haha hahaa hahahahahah,hahahahahahahahah