PDA

View Full Version : Dentist - teeth talk

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 12:00 AM
Hey i just got back from the dentist, and needed a feeling. She wanted to give me an injection and i was like wtf and told her im out of here.

Do u really need an injection to do a feeling?? cause last time the other dentist just went straight drill n clean the inside and filled it without any injections.

Im fine with my back teeths, and she wanted to put some plastic coat on it so the food doesnt get stuck between the teeths on top of the teeth.

Im still havin thoughts about it should i go ahead with it, what does it feel like gettin an injection into the gums btw????

they :lol at me :madrun for being chickenshit....

T-Pain
04-06-2006, 12:04 AM
a feeling huh. she probably wants to inject you in places where she wants to feel you so you cant tell where shes "feeling" you :lol

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-06-2006, 12:34 AM
Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
Trying to forget my feelings of teeth.
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
Trying to forget my feelings of teeth...

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 12:35 AM
Feelings, nothing more than feelings,
Trying to forget my feelings of teeth.
Teardrops rolling down on my face,
Trying to forget my feelings of teeth...

:lol

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
:lmao

If they give you an injection, it's so you won't have any feelings.

But yes, in many (most?) instances numbing is advised for a filling.

missmyzte
04-06-2006, 07:37 AM
:lmao

If they give you an injection, it's so you won't have any feelings.

But yes, in many (most?) instances numbing is advised for a filling.

Yes, an injection to numb your mouth is pretty standard for a filling.

ObiwanGinobili
04-06-2006, 08:07 AM
trust me you want the injection. espcially if it;s a deep cavity.
it;s not liek she was trying to put you top sleep & take your wallet.
she was trying to make it less painfull for you.

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 08:17 AM
trust me you want the injection. espcially if it;s a deep cavity.
it;s not liek she was trying to put you top sleep & take your wallet.
she was trying to make it less painfull for you.

No kidding ... you'd change your mind as soon as he started drilling to clean out the decayed tooth and hit a nerve or a little gum tissue...or even the vibration on the tooth drives me up the wall. I'm sure they did do it on other time(s), but most will numb the area with a topical anesthetic before they give you the shot so it doesn't hurt so bad...you may not have even noticed.

I had 27 injections when I had my wisdom teeth extracted so I wouldn't have any feelings. :lol

travis2
04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Hey i just got back from the dentist, and needed a feeling. She wanted to give me an injection and i was like wtf and told her im out of here.

Do u really need an injection to do a feeling?? cause last time the other dentist just went straight drill n clean the inside and filled it without any injections.

Im fine with my back teeths, and she wanted to put some plastic coat on it so the food doesnt get stuck between the teeths on top of the teeth.

Im still havin thoughts about it should i go ahead with it, what does it feel like gettin an injection into the gums btw????

they :lol at me :madrun for being chickenshit....

If you had drilling done without an injection, then you didn't get a deep drilling.

I've had SMALL fillings put in without anesthesia...but if the dentist wants to numb you up, it's most likely not a small one.

It's not like you will be unconscious...it justs numbs the area around that tooth (at worst, maybe half your mouth will go numb).

The injection stings a little bit...but if you're worried about it feeling like a "regular" injection into your arm, it's nowhere near as bad (I hate those too). Usually, the dentist puts a "topical" anesthetic on the spot where the needle is going to go...that reduces the pain quite a bit. (But, to be honest with you, the pain doesn't COMPLETELY go away).

I would say the injection is more "uncomfortable" than "painful".

travis2
04-06-2006, 08:41 AM
No kidding ... you'd change your mind as soon as he started drilling to clean out the decayed tooth and hit a nerve or a little gum tissue...or even the vibration on the tooth drives me up the wall. I'm sure they did do it on other time(s), but most will numb the area with a topical anesthetic before they give you the shot so it doesn't hurt so bad...you may not have even noticed.

I had 27 injections when I had my wisdom teeth extracted so I wouldn't have any feelings. :lol

My dad was a dentist...and he wouldn't pull mine. He didn't like to numb up an entire mouth...he always felt that if you needed to do that much work, you're better off going under. And putting people under is what dental surgeons do. So he actually had someone else come in to pull mine.

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 08:50 AM
He was a dental surgeon ... but he'd only numb each side as he was working on it ... and every time I started to feel the tingle I'd tell him and he'd give me another shot. He didn't want to put me completely under because it can make you sick when you wake up and just didn't like to do it if he didn't have to...throwing up can cause dry sockets. It took so many shots because only 1 out of the 4 popped right out, he had to break the others off in pieces...which probably would explain why the pain was so intense after all was said and done that nothing short of an overdose would alleviate it.

Thank God I don't ever have to do that again. :fro

What was really gross is when I was driving home my mouth was still really numb and bloody and I forgot to bring any kind of towel with me in the car. You can only imagine what the front of my shirt looked like. :wow :lol

travis2
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
He was a dental surgeon ... but he'd only numb each side as he was working on it ... and every time I started to feel the tingle I'd tell him and he'd give me another shot. He didn't want to put me completely under because it can make you sick when you wake up and just didn't like to do it if he didn't have to...throwing up can cause dry sockets. It took so many shots because only 1 out of the 4 popped right out, he had to break the others off in pieces...which probably would explain why the pain was so intense after all was said and done that nothing short of an overdose would alleviate it.

Thank God I don't ever have to do that again. :fro

What was really gross is when I was driving home my mouth was still really numb and I forgot to bring any kind of towel with me in the car. You can only imagine what the front of my shirt looked like. :wow :lol

Mine had to be dug out too...I didn't have a straight root in the bunch...:lol

I (obviously) didn't drive home afterwards...my dad drove me home. I slept most of the next 18 hours, too.

I remember running through the initial medication and going to my dad to write a refill. "Nothing doing...take aspirin and gargle with salt water". He gave me codeine to start with, and wasn't about to give me more...I was NOT happy about that...:lol

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 09:08 AM
My mom was giving me pretty much everything she had ... and yes, she's was always one to have an extensive stash. :nerd

Sunshine
04-06-2006, 09:22 AM
When my niece had her wisdom teeth extracted, she was so out of it that her boyfriend had to carry her out of the office in his arms like a baby. :lol

I am sooooo glad I never had to have my wisdom teeth taken out. I have all four with room to spare.

waits for Travis to come up with a smart ass comment about a big mouth

travis2
04-06-2006, 09:51 AM
When my niece had her wisdom teeth extracted, she was so out of it that her boyfriend had to carry her out of the office in his arms like a baby. :lol

I am sooooo glad I never had to have my wisdom teeth taken out. I have all four with room to spare.

:wow

Moi??? :angel You wound me, Sunshine...

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 09:54 AM

I don't know about travis, but I wish my mouth was bigger. :smokin :angel :lol

travis2
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
:banghttp://bestsmileys.com/mouthzippedshut/4.gif:bang

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 09:59 AM
One of my suitemates in college was from Malaysia and he claimed he had never had a filling done with novocaine until he came to the U.S.

In the last 1.5 years, I've had: two root canals, a wisdom tooth extraction, a "crown lengthening" (i.e., a "gum lowering"), two crowns and two fillings. By far the worst was the crown lengthening. Imagine somebody taking a small crowbar and scraping your gums down.

katyon6th
04-06-2006, 10:02 AM
My dentist is so hot.

I hate when he talks to me with his fingers in my mouth, though, I drool all over myself trying to respond. Jerk.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 10:17 AM
My dentist is so hot.

I hate when he talks to me with his fingers in my mouth, though, I drool all over myself trying to respond. Jerk.
Are you talking about what he does during a dental appointment now?

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Imagine somebody taking a small crowbar and scraping your gums down.

They did that to me (or something similar) when I got the bands for my braces put on my molars many years ago. I totally empathize ... 17 years later I still remember that pain. :wow

katyon6th
04-06-2006, 10:22 AM
Are you talking about what he does during a dental appointment now?

Of course, what else would I be talking about? :angel

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 10:24 AM
My dentist is so hot.

I bet yah he enjoyed it

okay i made up my mind, its actually cheaper to go through this bulk billing instead of goin to a private place which cost more.....

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
http://www.londonstimes.us/toons/cartoons/patrick_dentist.jpg

Jimcs50
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
My dentist is so hot.

Are you one of my patients???

:)

katyon6th
04-06-2006, 10:57 AM

Your last name isn't Chandler, is it?

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 10:57 AM

Jimbo,

Your a dentist???

Jimcs50
04-06-2006, 10:58 AM
I have done fillings w/o anesthetic on some people who do not want to have the numb feeing, but it is rare.

Get the injection, it will hurt just a second, then you can relax while he/she does the treatment, w/o worrying about pain.

BTW, it is not a feeling, it is a filling :)

Jimcs50
04-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Jimbo,

Your a dentist???

Yes, I thought it was common knowledge by now. :spin

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Yes, I thought it was common knowledge by now. :spin

:depressed Sorry I didn't know

Sunshine
04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Jim likes to drill :spin

travis2
04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't feel bad, OSC...

His predilection for the other end of the female anatomy has caused confusion in here more than once...:lmao

travis2
04-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Mine was more diplomatic...:lol

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Oh! :oops

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 11:14 AM
How else is he going to earn all the money to lose on bets?

gay abc
04-06-2006, 11:25 AM
if you can take some time off work/school etc. - try getting into the dental school at UTSA - i recently had THREE PORCELIN CROWNS done for a total of $639.00 :smokin

plus my dental insurance will reimburse me about 50% of that :elephant

katyon6th
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
if you can take some time off work/school etc. - try getting into the dental school at UTSA - i recently had THREE PORCELIN CROWNS done for a total of $639.00 :smokin

plus my dental insurance will reimburse me about 50% of that :elephant

I hope your teeth don't fall out.

gay abc
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM

:wtf

and i hope your pussy doesn't fall out either :rolleyes

katyon6th
04-06-2006, 11:36 AM
:wtf

and i hope your pussy doesn't fall out either :rolleyes

Damnit, me too!

SpursWoman
04-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Damn, that would suck. :wow

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Damn, that would suck. :wow
Well, yeah, because what other option would there be then? :angel

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 12:10 PM
Dont private health insurance reimburses, oh wait u can claim it in ur tax return :D:D and also get rebates :D:D

Jimcs50
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM

actually the work you get at UTHSCSA dental branch is some of the best quality dental care you can get. Every step has to be perfect, and is checked by the professor before you go to the next step.

Your 3 crowns are probably perfect.

Jimcs50
04-06-2006, 12:15 PM
How else is he going to earn all the money to lose on bets?

This is true.

:depressed

Jekka
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM
They did that to me (or something similar) when I got the bands for my braces put on my molars many years ago. I totally empathize ... 17 years later I still remember that pain. :wow

I had braces twice (damn Dr Speck) and underwent that for my bands as well - it hurt like hell, and I almost kicked him for having to do it a second time. I wish they'd had the Invisalign stuff when I had braces.

travis2
04-06-2006, 12:33 PM
ugh...I had braces back in the days when, instead of 1 big wire, they used several smaller ligature wires to wire everything up. I'd be sitting in the chair with a bunch of wires sticking up out of my mouth...the orthodontist would grab them all with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and start spinning them. I could feel my teeth creaking back...:wow :cuss

Jekka
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
ugh...I had braces back in the days when, instead of 1 big wire, they used several smaller ligature wires to wire everything up. I'd be sitting in the chair with a bunch of wires sticking up out of my mouth...the orthodontist would grab them all with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and start spinning them. I could feel my teeth creaking back...:wow :cuss

Ouch - I had the one continuous wire, but I also had a crossbite appliance on the roof of my mouth. It was bad enough trying to eat with braces, but that thing made it even worse - everything I ever ate got stuck in it. I spent more time brushing and flossing than I did eating.

LuvBones
04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I got a question for Jim..

If you put braces on someone and they come in the next day telling you they can't take the pain and no pain reliever is helping... would you prescribe them something?

travis2
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
I got a question for Jim..

If you put braces on someone and they come in the next day telling you they can't take the pain and no pain reliever is helping... would you prescribe them something?

Jim's not an orthodontist...

However, my guess would be no...

travis2
04-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Ouch - I had the one continuous wire, but I also had a crossbite appliance on the roof of my mouth. It was bad enough trying to eat with braces, but that thing made it even worse - everything I ever ate got stuck in it. I spent more time brushing and flossing than I did eating.

I didn't have a crossbite, but I had an overbite...so I wore a headgear for several years before I actually got the braces. And went through them at an alarming rate. (Well, hell...what do you expect when you put a constant-wear headgear on an 8-9 year old kid? :lol)

LuvBones
04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Oh.. well my orthodontist won't prescribe me anything! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smicuss.gif

travis2
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
After one day...I wouldn't think so.

Is this your first day in braces?

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
barbed wires as braces > ftw

LuvBones
04-06-2006, 01:20 PM
After one day...I wouldn't think so.

Is this your first day in braces?

No... and I was just wondering if that was common or not. I'm getting some fillings soon and I may need my wisdom teeth pulled out.. I better get something prescribed to me then!!

travis2
04-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Pain and pain tolerance is obviously an individual thing. However, as someone who once had braces, I'd say your mouth could hurt for 3-5 days, but should be decreasing all through that time.

travis2
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Oh, and for your wisdom teeth, you'll get something prescribed. But odds are it won't be enough to get you through ALL the pain...especially if they have to dig for them. (see my earlier post on that subject for an example)

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
why do they gotto pull out the wisdom for anyway? as if its goin to do anything to yah.

dentist also said i got a wisdom but no need to pull it out, since i dont have any toothaches with it.

Clandestino
04-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Dont Be A Pussy, You Don"t Need A Shot For A Drilling! Rambo Wouldn"t Need One, Why Would You???

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 01:30 PM
For my wisdom teeth (and for the most part even for my crown lengthening) I found that 800 mg of Motrin did the trick.

I was given some Tylenol #3 for my first wisdom tooth and they just made me drowsy and queasy. I did get some Percocets once when I cracked a tooth and oh, boy, that's some good stuff. I'm still not sure exactly what I may have done and to whom on those.

ShoogarBear
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
why do they gotto pull out the wisdom for anyway? as if its goin to do anything to yah.

dentist also said i got a wisdom but no need to pull it out, since i dont have any toothaches with it.
They pull out your wisdom teeth because of what they might do: cause infections or pain.

Here's a web site with some pretty good info:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/outreach/wisdomtooth/wteeth.htm

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 01:43 PM
props mate

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Scary :wow

http://hilary.lookingatstars.com/archives/images/teeth.jpg

T-Pain
04-06-2006, 02:01 PM
did you know george washington had teeth made of wood and animal teeth

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 02:37 PM
did you know george washington had teeth made of wood and animal teeth

Uh, No!

Marklar MM
04-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Hell. I always end up getting like 4 shots for a cavity. Half my fuckin face is numb for hours.