PDA

View Full Version : Artest feels as though HE is the DPOY

SenorSpur
04-06-2006, 03:32 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040606.1C.BKNspurs.kings.gamer.914c26e.html

Spurs lose game, ground

Web Posted: 04/06/2006 12:04 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

By the time the Sacramento Kings were finished with the Spurs on Wednesday night, Mike Bibby had 31 points, Tony Parker was on a training table getting his head glued together, Ron Artest was boasting about his defensive prowess and Friday night's showdown with Dallas suddenly had a bit more drama.

Oh, and the Spurs had tacked on another back-to-back loss.

With Bibby and Artest leading the way, the Kings bullied the Spurs 97-87 in front of an AT&T Center crowd that arrived late and had every reason to leave early. The loss reduced the Spurs' lead atop the Western Conference to two games heading into Friday's Mavericks visit.

"They killed us," Manu Ginobili said, "everywhere."

In other words, Sacramento treated the Spurs the same way the Spurs usually have been treated when they haven't had a day to rest before playing. Ten of the Spurs' 17 losses have come in the second game of a back-to-back.

The average margin of defeat in those 10 games: 11.9 points.

"Thank God there's no back-to-back games in the playoffs," Brent Barry said, "because at this point, I don't know if maybe it creeps into your psyche."

If the playoffs began today, the Spurs would face the Kings in the first round. If the matchup holds, the Spurs would be wise to bring more energy than they showed Wednesday.

Sacramento led by at least seven points from the midpoint of the second quarter. The Kings hiked their advantage to 13 at the end of the first half, 16 at the end of the third quarter and led by as much as 19 in the fourth.

Bibby and Artest combined to make six 3-pointers as the Kings shot 50 percent from behind the arc and 47.5 percent overall.

"Defensively, we just didn't play our normal game," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "And it cost us."

The Spurs arrived in town around 2 a.m. Wednesday after winning in Utah. By rallying from a 24-point deficit to close within five, the Jazz forced the Spurs' regulars to play deep into the game.

"When we had the team down big last night, it was a great opportunity to rest our starters and give the bench guys a lot more playing time," Michael Finley said. "Instead, we made it a ball game."

The Kings also played Tuesday night. But after being routed in Dallas, they looked like a new team once they took the floor Wednesday.

Sacramento overwhelmed the Spurs on the boards early, back-doored them for layups and often beat them down the floor.

After a 3-pointer from Artest pushed the Kings' lead to 33-22 with 9:40 left in the second quarter, the Spurs' frustration boiled over. Popovich and Tim Duncan, upset over a non-call, received back-to-back technicals.

Duncan finished with 11 points and six rebounds in 31 minutes. In the 15 games he's played without a day of rest this season, Duncan has averaged 14.7 points on 39.8 percent shooting.

Much of Duncan's back-to-back problems have to do with the plantar fasciitis in his right foot. A stomach virus, however, also has sapped his energy since Friday.

"Hopefully," Popovich said, "he's getting stronger every day."

With 48 points in his previous two games, Ginobili seemed to be doing the same. Then he ran into Artest, who was facing the Spurs for the first time since Sacramento acquired him for Peja Stojakovic.

Artest, who said before the game he deserved the NBA Defensive Player of the Year award, backed up his credentials by holding Ginobili to eight points on eight shots. He blocked Ginobili from behind midway through the third quarter, leading to a layup by Bibby that pushed the Kings' lead to 17.

When Artest posted Bruce Bowen on the other end, the Spurs double-teamed him. He also complained of Bowen "smacking" him.

"That's why I'm the defensive player of the year — because I play good defense," said Artest, who totaled 15 points, six rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks. "No gimmicks."

Parker finally started to put the Kings on their heels in the fourth quarter when he scored eight of his 16 points. His layup brought the Spurs within 83-73 with 8:56 left.

But after a timeout, Artest juked Bowen and hit a jump shot. The Kings never looked back.

Clubbed on a drive to the basket, Parker left the game with a gash on the top of his head. Instead of stitches, the team's medical staff used glue to close it.

The cut further symbolized the back-to-back pain the Spurs have endured this season.

"It doesn't matter who our competition is, whether it's Sacramento or whoever," Barry said. "We've had some bad losses in back-to-back games. There's no excuse."

dimsah
04-06-2006, 05:35 AM
"That's why I'm the defensive player of the year — because I play good defense," said Artest, who totaled 15 points, six rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks. "No gimmicks."

Artest can keep thinking that, but he's not going to ever win another individual award.

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 05:35 AM
so artest has join the fagatron with rayallan and wince carter as the next whiny person about bowens defense.

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Bowen is not that great of a defensive player.

Scottie said that and I belive him

Shaolin-Style
04-06-2006, 05:46 AM
Bowen needs to give someone a wally kick

WayDowntownBang
04-06-2006, 06:14 AM
The fact that he is campaigning for himself shows that this guy is a complete douchebag. Who self promotes themself for an individual award? Even the college kids fighting for the Heisman just go about their business and hope their actions speak louder than their words.

Artest's actions have already spoken. What a dickbag.

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 06:26 AM
ron is not goin to win since his missed 1/3 of the season

jochhejaam
04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
ron is not goin to win since his missed 1/3 of the season
That could be the clincher, although there's no doubt that he's a monster on defense.

Right or wrong I'd bet that some of those voting take character into account. That's a big minus for Ron.

GrandeDavid
04-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Maybe this talk will give the Spurs some added emotional fuel for the playoffs.

ObiwanGinobili
04-06-2006, 07:52 AM
Ron Artest needs to STFU already. gawddamn i can't believe he even has a job. that man is a poisenous douche ala spree & TO.
all 3 need to get into the douchebag hall of fame.

Rummpd
04-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Diagnosis = a disorder, re-examination needed.

consult sent.

Reality - Bowen is DPOY, Artest needs to get over it an be glad he is even playing basketball.

CubanMustGo
04-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Artest bragging about stopping someone who has struggled all season. Way to go, loser. :sleep

nkdlunch
04-06-2006, 09:23 AM
he also thinks he is a true warrior :lmao just cause he plays basketball hard :rolleyes

DarkReign
04-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Serious question; who is DPoY this year?

Try not to be homers...or at least back it up.

SenorSpur
04-06-2006, 10:47 AM

???? Good question. I thought about that when I posted the article. IMO, Bowen deserved the award LAST year.

That's no knock against Ben. I just think Bowen, for his game-to-game responsibilities of shutting down the opposition's top scorer, was more deserving.

I can't say who the frontrunner is for this year.

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Bowen is DPOTY.
Kirilenko lost some time due to injures, Big Ben is not making an incredible job while Bowen 'locks' down the players like Iverson, Bosh, Randolph, Nowitzki. Almost every star has got problem with him.

For me it is Bruce - no question

Old School Chic
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
^^True. How arrogant. At least let your playing do the talking.

Welcome to Spurstalk, SpursDee :spin

leemajors
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
artest also feels his records should sell more than a few thousand copies.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
04-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Something that the ESPN (in Spanish) commentators mentioned yesterday comes to mind.

Artest is always arguing with the refs about calls, he complains about every single foul that is called on him. The question is: Has ever one of his coaches shown a tape of how many calls the refs do not whistle on him? If he played in a league where stars aren't allowed many things from the refs, he would foul out before half-time in every game.

Same could be said about others, like Shaq or the entire Pistons.

That's why I believe that Bowen should be DPOY. He is always moving, his excellent defense is based on footwork and moving all the time, chasing his defensive assigment through screens. He bothers the other team best perimetral scorer, but not in a physical way, he just stays in there between his man and the rim, always with his hands up. He doesn't allow penetration just by quickly moving his feet. The only time Bruce goes physical (which aren't that many, and most of them are coincidental), frustrated spoiled crybabies like Vince Carter or Ray Allen start bitching.

Spurminator
04-06-2006, 11:30 AM
"Thank God there's no back-to-back games in the playoffs," Brent Barry said, "because at this point, I don't know if maybe it creeps into your psyche."

At this point it clearly has.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm a Detroit fan. I'm a Ben Wallace fan. I think Ron Artest is crazy. I think he ruined the Pacers organization. I think Andrei Kirilenko, Gerald Wallace, and Alonzo Mourning have all had phenomenal defensive season. I think Bruce Bowen has a great chance of winning the DPOY this year.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID ...

Ron Artest is the best defensive player in the NBA. And, it's not even close. I don't like him. I think he's a headcase. I think he doesn't deserve to win shit the rest of his career. But, HE IS THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE NBA. That's coming from a Piston fan and someone who completely respects the way Bruce Bowen, Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning, and Andrei Kirilenko play defense. But, no one plays better lock-down defense than Ron Artest. Again, it's not even close.

Artest won't get it. And, he is a cocky and delusional ass for campaignin for it. But, I agree that he's the best defender in the NBA.

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 11:36 AM
How many games did Artest played?

thank you :)

JamStone
04-06-2006, 11:37 AM

I think Alonzo Mourning was in very good position to win the award before he started to play a lot less with the return of Shaq.

Bruce Bowen has been great most of the season, and I think he's a top candidate.

Ben hasn't been as good as in past years, but he's still a top 5 candidate.

The player I think who deserves DPOY most for this season won't get much pub because his team is not that good and even when he plays great defense, it doesn't often help his team win.

If I were to vote for DPOY this year, I would vote for GERALD WALLACE.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Something that the ESPN (in Spanish) commentators mentioned yesterday comes to mind.

Artest is always arguing with the refs about calls, he complains about every single foul that is called on him. The question is: Has ever one of his coaches shown a tape of how many calls the refs do not whistle on him? If he played in a league where stars aren't allowed many things from the refs, he would foul out before half-time in every game.

Same could be said about others, like Shaq or the entire Pistons.

That's why I believe that Bowen should be DPOY. He is always moving, his excellent defense is based on footwork and moving all the time, chasing his defensive assigment through screens. He bothers the other team best perimetral scorer, but not in a physical way, he just stays in there between his man and the rim, always with his hands up. He doesn't allow penetration just by quickly moving his feet. The only time Bruce goes physical (which aren't that many, and most of them are coincidental), frustrated spoiled crybabies like Vince Carter or Ray Allen start bitching. if your just going by last night then i agree. but ever since artest has been here he has done a great job not complaining to the refs. he usually just turns his head and goes back and plays defense. the technical he got yesterday is only his second since hes been here. i know most people dont like artest but i dont think he said anything wrong. i think he is a better defender then bowen but bowen deserves it this year because he has played the whole year. i dont think he just made that comment out of nowhere. i think one of the reporters asked him a question and he answered what he thought.

samikeyp
04-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm a Detroit fan. I'm a Ben Wallace fan. I think Ron Artest is crazy. I think he ruined the Pacers organization. I think Andrei Kirilenko, Gerald Wallace, and Alonzo Mourning have all had phenomenal defensive season. I think Bruce Bowen has a great chance of winning the DPOY this year.

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID ...

Ron Artest is the best defensive player in the NBA. And, it's not even close. I don't like him. I think he's a headcase. I think he doesn't deserve to win shit the rest of his career. But, HE IS THE BEST DEFENDER IN THE NBA. That's coming from a Piston fan and someone who completely respects the way Bruce Bowen, Ben Wallace, Alonzo Mourning, and Andrei Kirilenko play defense. But, no one plays better lock-down defense than Ron Artest. Again, it's not even close.

Artest won't get it. And, he is a cocky and delusional ass for campaignin for it. But, I agree that he's the best defender in the NBA.

Great points....I disagree about Artest being the best but your argument is a good one. I think Bowen deserves it this year. In the years he came close but didn't win, I felt that those who did (Artest, Big Ben) were deserving of winning as well.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 11:50 AM
Artest bragging about stopping someone who has struggled all season. Way to go, loser. :sleep from what this article says it seems that manu has had 48 point his last couple of games so he hasnt struggled lately.

SenorSpur
04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I will give Artest credit for two things

1. Locking up Ginobili last night
2. Bringing a level of defensive intensity to a very, "soft", Sac team

Obviously, he's a terrific defender and had he played the full season, he would garner more recognition. He simply doesn't deserve the award this year. Of course, its his own fault that he's basically missed about 1 & 1/2 seasons.

Meanwhile, Bruce has continued his usual yeoman efforts on the opposition's best players, night in and night out.

The DPOY award simply comes down to these two guys (Artest and Bowen) and you can throw in some consideration for Alonzo Mourning.

However the more I think about it, Bowen deserved the award last year and he deserves the award this year too.

IceCold CB1
04-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Western Conference, welcome to the Ron Artest self promotion tour
As all detroit,and eastern conference, fans know well by now, Ron Artest is the king of self promotion. Infact, thats the only reason he kept Big Ben from winning the DPOY in our championship season: Him and Rick Carslile begged and pleaded and sent in highlight tapes and statistical breakdowns of Rons performance on the defensive end to the voters for the award. Plus his shoe deal self promotion in the all star game, the record promotion in his interviews, shaving tru wariar into the back of his head, the list goes on. However, with all his craziness, i really think that theres no doubt anymore that Artest is the best perimeter defender in the L. The guy is a rock and when he gets into his shutdown mentality, he can take a player completely out of the game. His strength is not to be understated; Its really tough for a player to edge past him because of his strength and deceptive quickness. His craziness may really help him in that sense, because a lot of players get intimidated by his reputation.
I know this is gonna draw some ire from Spurs fans, but i really think Bowen gets away with a lot more than most defenders in the League. He plays a real physical style, but he gets a lot more liberty with hand checks and reaching in than most players.

That being said, i feel that Bowen will win the award this year because of all the times hes been snubbed in the past.

ReppinTheD
04-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Not to mention he also thinks that Ben Wallace stol ethe DPOY award from him...

Artest believes he should have been defensive player of the year more than once.

"I feel like Ben Wallace stole it," Artest said of the Detroit Pistons' center who has won the award three times in the past four seasons. "Well, he didn't steal it, but I feel like I gave him three defensive player of the years. I gave him one that year I got in trouble ... that year I was suspended."

Sometimes, I can't believe the things that actually com eout of his mouth.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM
I have no problem with the fact that Artest thinks he should have won the DPOY several other times. He believes in his abilities and he thinks he's really that good. Other players say similar things all the time.

Bruce has said as much, but in a much more diplomatic and respectful way.

Rip Hamilton has clamoured the previous two seasons on how he should have been an allstar multiple times before this year.

Shaquille O'Neal claims he should have more League MVP trophies.

Ron Artest is not saying anything different. He is just so scrutinized for other things he's said and done that it seems so crazy to make that claim.

Truth is he probably has a point. He probably could have won the DPOY a few more times. The thing is at least last year and this year, it's his own fault that he didn't and is not going to win the DPOY. The thing is he disregards the fact that even if he was deserving, Ben Wallace was deserving as well the year's he's won it. The thing is Bruce Bowen has done a lot this year to make a very strong argument that he deserves it this year.

I will say this of Bruce Bowen and Spurs fans who claim he should win it and deserved it this year ... I don't think last year should have any bearing on whether Bruce Bowen wins it this year. If part of the argument is that Bruce Bowen has been snubbed in previous years, I don't think that should hold any weight. I don't like hearing people qualify their argument by saying, "well, he's been snubbed before, so he should definitely get it this year." That doesn't fly with me. If Bruce gets it, I hope it's because he deserves it for what he's done THIS YEAR, not last season, not last year's playoffs, not because he's a good guy and could have won it in other years. He should get it if and because he deserves it for his defensive play this year. And, I think he has a very good chance this year. And, if Bruce does win the DPOY, I think that would be a great accomplishment for him. But, I hope the voters don't give it to him in part out of pity that he hasn't won it before.

I think the hardest thing for Bruce Bowen to overcome is the fact that most of his effectiveness on defense is not quantifiable in stats (unless you dig up like Hollinger things that would take some time compiling, like players' FG% individually when Bowen defend them and forced turnovers, things like that). He doesn't excel in rebounds, blocks, or steals. He's nowhere near the top of any of those categories. So, as good as Bruce Bowen is as a team defender and a perimeter lock-down defender, statistically, he doesn't have a lot of numbers to support how good he is. That doesn't take anything away from how good a defender he is in the eyes of opposing players, coaches, and most people who know a lot about basketball. But, I wonder if the lack of statistical evidence perhaps has hurt him in the past and perhaps might hurt his chances again this year.

I said already that I think Gerald Wallace deserves some recognition. I just looked up his stats, and I didn't realize he's missed over 20 games this season. I guess that hurts Gerald's chances the way it will likely hurt Artest, Marcus Camby, and Kirilenko. Alonzo Mourning should definitely be in the conversation. And, Shawn Marion should get a cursory look just for the fact that he has played out of position his second straight year and still put up incredible numbers (ranked #3 in rebounds per game, #6 in steals per game, #14 in blocks per game, #3 in DEFENSIVE rebounds per game). SHAWN MARION isn't exactly a great man-to-man defender, but he's pretty good. And, the fact that he does all that at 6-7, 225 as a makeshift power forward is impressive in itself.

Ben Wallace has been still very good this year, just not as consistently great as he has been before. And, I always think Kevin Garnett is one of the top defenders in the league. To me, KG is the most versatile defender in the NBA.

But, since Gerald Wallace missed over 20 games, I would probably vote for Bruce Bowen if I had a vote.

WayDowntownBang
04-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I have no problem with the fact that Artest thinks he should have won the DPOY several other times. He believes in his abilities and he thinks he's really that good. Other players say similar things all the time.

Bruce has said as much, but in a much more diplomatic and respectful way.

Rip Hamilton has clamoured the previous two seasons on how he should have been an allstar multiple times before this year.

Shaquille O'Neal claims he should have more League MVP trophies.

Ron Artest is not saying anything different. He is just so scrutinized for other things he's said and done that it seems so crazy to make that claim.

Truth is he probably has a point. He probably could have won the DPOY a few more times. The thing is at least last year and this year, it's his own fault that he didn't and is not going to win the DPOY. The thing is he disregards the fact that even if he was deserving, Ben Wallace was deserving as well the year's he's won it. The thing is Bruce Bowen has done a lot this year to make a very strong argument that he deserves it this year.

Good points as always, but it's a cold hard fact that if you're an asshole, you're not going to get the love. It's like Barry Bonds.. people are now DEBATING whether or not he should be HOF.. Barry Bonds. If he wasn't such a dick, he's a no brainer. Ron's the same way. If he wasn't such an out-of-control douchebag, he probably would have a few more DPOY trophies. To those who say that's not fair.. life's not fair. Why would the NBA want to reward a guy who's been nothing but a thorn in their sides?

SenorSpur
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Good points as always, but it's a cold hard fact that if you're an asshole, you're not going to get the love. It's like Barry Bonds.. people are now DEBATING whether or not he should be HOF.. Barry Bonds. If he wasn't such a dick, he's a no brainer. Ron's the same way. If he wasn't such an out-of-control douchebag, he probably would have a few more DPOY trophies. To those who say that's not fair.. life's not fair. Why would the NBA want to reward a guy who's been nothing but a thorn in their sides?

another home run point!

TDMVPDPOY
04-06-2006, 01:34 PM
duncan has been snubbed ever since his been in the league!!!! his stats dont show it, but he shows it on the court.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
WayDownTownBang,

Yeah, I agree with your point, but disagree with your comparison with Barry Bonds. It's not because Barry Bonds is a prick that he might not get consideration to go to the Hall of Fame. It's because he's suspected of CHEATING and his numbers are a result of that cheating. If there was no steroid scandal and yet Barry was still a prick, he would still be a no-brainer for the Hall. And, Barry Bonds being a prick still won the League MVP a few years ago. He was still voted into all star games even after being regarded as a known prick.

Everything that has to do with Barry Bonds not getting love or recognition has to do with the alleged STEROID USE, not the fact that he is a dick.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Barry Bonds has been known as a dick for a long time.

2001: all star, NL MVP
2002: all star, NL MVP
2003: all star, NL MVP
2004: all star, NL MVP

It's after the BALCO / steroid scandal that Barry Bonds is not getting any love, recognition, awards, etc. Barry has been an asshole for much longer. He still got love and awards when everyone knew he was a dick.

mavsfan1000
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Bowen is definitely a better defender than Artest. Ask Dirk who already had 2 big games against Artest this year. Also Paul Pierce has gone off in Artest in the past so I don't think Artest is at the level of intensity as Bowen is.

WayDowntownBang
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Barry Bonds has been known as a dick for a long time.

2001: all star, NL MVP
2002: all star, NL MVP
2003: all star, NL MVP
2004: all star, NL MVP

It's after the BALCO / steroid scandal that Barry Bonds is not getting any love, recognition, awards, etc. Barry has been an asshole for much longer. He still got love and awards when everyone knew he was a dick.

I hear you, and the stats are good. But, Bonds is far and away the best offensive hitter in baseball since 2001 (let's not talk about the steroid coincidence). Ron doesn't have that luxury of being "HEAD AND SHOULDERS" above his competitors for the DPOY award.

I was just using the Barry example as something to show another guy who gets MORE of a hassle because he was a dick. If this was someone who was beloved in the game.. say, a Jeter.. you'd have a hell of a lot more apologists out there.

You're not wrong, I was just using Barry as an example. If Ron Artest was the Barry Bonds of baseball, he could overcome being a dickface. Sadly for him, he's not. Even for sake of argument if he IS the best defender in the league, he's not that much better to overcome it... at least in my opinion.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Fair enough. I just disagree with the fact that people are debating whether Barry Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame merely because he's a dick. It's only a debate because of steroids. It has nothing to do with him being a dick. That's my point.

WayDowntownBang
04-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Fair enough. I just disagree with the fact that people are debating whether Barry Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame merely because he's a dick. It's only a debate because of steroids. It has nothing to do with him being a dick. That's my point.

We're arguing the same thing. I agree with this.

Especially here in Detroit, if we're going to keep people out of the Hall of Fame for being a dick, it's time to take Ty Cobb's cleats out, right?

JamStone
04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I didn't think we were arguing the same thing:

It's like Barry Bonds.. people are now DEBATING whether or not he should be HOF.. Barry Bonds. If he wasn't such a dick, he's a no brainer.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, if Artest deserves consideration despite all the time he missed then so should Marcus Camby.

I think Bowen deserves it this year. He doesn't just play good D he gets in guys head, makes them do stupid stuff, which is twice as effective as anything a defender can do physically.

JamStone
04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Well, if Artest deserves consideration despite all the time he missed then so should Marcus Camby.

I think Bowen deserves it this year. He doesn't just play good D he gets in guys head, makes them do stupid stuff, which is twice as effective as anything a defender can do physically.

Except for the rare times it backfires and then Ray Allen goes off and beats the Spurs with a buzzer beating jumper.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Eh, Ray was due for a good game. My only regret is Bruce didn't kick him harder.

tlongII
04-06-2006, 04:10 PM
No matter what you think about him...

Artest >>>> Bowen

Defensively and offensively.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 04:29 PM
No matter what you think about him...

Artest >>>> Bowen

Defensively and offensively. thank you. i agree. i know spurs fans love bowen but get real. artest is a better defender. i do think it should be bowen this year but only because artest hasnt played the whole year.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Bowen is definitely a better defender than Artest. Ask Dirk who already had 2 big games against Artest this year. Also Paul Pierce has gone off in Artest in the past so I don't think Artest is at the level of intensity as Bowen is. what the hell are you talking about! you have selective memory. what about the game at arco when dirk shot like 9-24? as far as im concerned the matchup with artest and dirk is 1-1. artest is a better defender just admit it. i know some of you hate ron but dont get carried away.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 04:35 PM
after seeing how ron has changed the kings soft mentality to being a pretty good defensive team other then against dallas a couple days ago i dont know how you can argue who the better defensive player is. if bowen was here instead of artest it wouldnt be the same at all.

Sportman
04-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Artest is without a doubt one of the defender players of the nba but i just want to look at him, to defend manu during a playoff game when the games REALLY count and luckily i am going to watch it :spin :spin

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Artest is without a doubt one of the defender players of the nba but i just want to look at him, to defend manu during a playoff game when the games REALLY count and luckily i am going to watch it :spin :spinim just glad we finnaly have someone that can at least stay in front of the guy. in the past when peja chokeocavich was here he used to tear our asses up!

polandprzem
04-06-2006, 05:53 PM
im just glad we finnaly have someone that can at least stay in front of the guy. in the past when peja chokeocavich was here he used to tear our asses up!

Sacto D still suck.

leemajors
04-06-2006, 06:01 PM
ginobili had at least 3-4 shots barely rim out, just bad bounces. i'm sure he will get his next time out.

bdubya
04-06-2006, 06:13 PM
When Artest is on, I do think he's a better defender than Bowen. But Bowen is SO much more consistent, I'd give him the DPOY over Artest even if Artest wasn't a loon.

That said, I do find Artest and Brad Miller a lot less annoying now that they're in a different conference. :spin

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks to Ron's mouth the Spurs will now have some extra motivation come the first round.

RON ARTEST
04-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks to Ron's mouth the Spurs will now have some extra motivation come the first round.
the kings are only 1 game behind the seven spot so i dont think this series is locked up just yet. we will see what happens. its hard to predict sports because theres always a surprise it seems like.

FreshPrince22
04-06-2006, 06:37 PM
If I were to vote for DPOY this year, I would vote for GERALD WALLACE.

He has to be the most overrated defensive player in the game. Stats don't = Defense. Not only does he have no history of locking anyone down (like Bruce) or locking a team down (like Ben), but he actually has a negative affect on the Bobcats defense. They give up more points per possession with him on the floor than they do with him off the floor. He's a great "fantasy" defender, but doesn't have a good defensive basketball IQ.

SequSpur
04-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Well homers...

Artest had the scoreboard last night on TNT.

As far as I'm concerned Bowen is not in the same league as Artest.

T Park
04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Artest had the scoreboard last night on TNT.

As far as I'm concerned Bowen is not in the same league as Artest.

Only problem is they played on ESPN, and uh, as usual, you have zero clue.

SequSpur
04-06-2006, 07:19 PM
^ Tpark, The Homer Adopted Poster Child

T Park
04-06-2006, 07:25 PM
^ Sequ, Vince Carter's latest rape bitch.