PDA

View Full Version : Best Record in League is not neccessary for NBA title

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 01:30 AM
Since 1980-81 season, 44% of the time the team with the best regular season record did not become the eventual Champion.

11 of 25 years.

9 of 21 if you just wanna count since 1985 2-3-2 formatt.

So much for us "having" to catch Detroit.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-07-2006, 01:31 AM
OK but i'd love to see the stats for teams with HCA in the FINALS.

also Spurs not having to play detroit is neccessary for the NBA title

i know i should show some faith and I'm trying to.......actually I'll just worry about detroit when the time comes :angel

Solid D
04-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Interesting stats Fabbs and good point about HCA among the finalists, Amused. I'd like to see that stat, also.

Spurologist
04-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Since 1980-81 season, 44% of the time the team with the best regular season record did not become the eventual Champion.

11 of 25 years.

Link?

midgetonadonkey
04-07-2006, 01:44 AM
I have faith that the Spurs can win in Detroit in a game 7 of the Finals.

Just as long as it's not a back to back.

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 01:44 AM
OK but i'd love to see the stats for teams with HCA in the FINALS.
angel

From 1985-2000 12 of 16 Champs had HCA,
I'm too tired to figure out the remaining years, altho i know the Spursies had it all three Champ years 99 03 05.
Detroit did not have HCA in their 2004 Champ.

Goodnight and goodmorning.

Winnipeg_Spur
04-07-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm not that concerned that the Pistons would have HCA in the finals. What I am concerned about is that the Pistons are REALLY good.

FreshPrince22
04-07-2006, 02:50 AM
These posts crack me up :lol

Tom_Foolery
04-07-2006, 02:50 AM
If we win, I think it will take a little lucky breaks at the most opportune moments.

We are bad on the road and the Pistons have thrashed us twice, sending a stern statement that the 1st thrashing was no fluke.

I wouldn't be so quick to count out Detroit at all. Infact, I would not be surprised at all if they won the finals.

Juice
04-07-2006, 03:00 AM
I'm not that concerned that the Pistons would have HCA in the finals. What I am concerned about is that the Pistons are REALLY good.

And still really healthy. HCA is only a real edge in game 7's of the Finals, but honestly, I don't think it will come to a decisive game 7 like last year.

TDMVPDPOY
04-07-2006, 05:33 AM
but arent refs are more bias for the home teams......

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 08:03 AM
Or to say it another way, it is not the Pistons having HCA that is the problem. It is the Pistons being a superior team to the Spurs that could be a problem.

SpursWoman
04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Or to say it another way, it is not the Pistons having HCA that is the problem. It is the Pistons being a superior team to the Spurs that could be a problem.

:tu

Nikos
04-07-2006, 09:37 AM

If Duncan could return to his 02-04 form then I think its anybody's series, and the Spurs would have a great chance to win with homecourt.

Considering Duncan isn't near 100% and the fact that this team doesn't matchup well with Detroit, and they do not have homecourt -- well that makes things look gloomy. Then there is always the question come playoff time -- will Tony Parker play to his maximum capabilities and with consistency? Will Duncan actually take command? Will Ginobili up his game in the playoffs like last season?

There is a lot of questions to be answered. Health aside I don't really feel the Pistons are any better than the Spurs but this is assuming prime Duncan comes back and Parker playing well in the playoffs.

Given the way the Spurs have played this season I am not sure even they beleive in themselves yet. There hasn't been many if any inspiring wins this season. At least last season they had a win over Detroit, won some tough OT games on the road without Duncan, and of course the Phoenix OT game with Duncan. Where are the inspiring wins this season? Where is the dominance from Tim Duncan? Can Ginobili stay healthy enough to play more productive minutes in the playoffs? Was his awesome performance in the 2005 playoffs a fluke? Is Parker finally ready to dominate consistently in the playoffs and be efficient?

So many questions for the Spurs. Less questions for Detroit. Right now Detroit is the better bet -- but if most of the questions are answered the Spurs really aren't any worse than the best of the Pistons. But you have to give props for the Pistons for their regular season dominance, their lack of injuries, and solid basketball on BOTH ends of the court. This is the most balanced effort from the Pistons in the past 3 years, and maybe EVER.

I just wish the Spurs had homecourt because you know if both teams play their best (should they even meet in the finals) -- it should be a close series. And I would rather have Game 6/7 at the AT&T Center. Right now I am not convinced the Spurs were be so lucky as to have all the cards fall in their favor, which is why I am a bit upset that the Spurs aren't really in the HCA race anymore.

ducks
04-07-2006, 09:40 AM
spurs start sweeping people in the playoffs before they face the nets or I mean pistons
they will have confidence

I think nets have a chance against the pistons right now

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Link?

Man i wish i could have found an all in one link.

I just did it year by year from this site:
http://www.nba.com/history/standings/20022003.html

For you Detroit Superiorists, recall last years Finals when Manu was very healthy and when he was not. Healthy Spurs will challenge for title.

Oh, Gee!!
04-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Our best hope is the Heat beating Detroit for us. Don't hold your breath.

SAGambler
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
If the Pistons breeze through the East and win ECF in 4 or 5 games, I think they are going to be tough to beat.

If the Spurs breeze through the West though, and Pistons have another grueling ECF, like last year, that could change the entire prospective.

Jimcs50
04-07-2006, 09:58 AM

11 of 25 years.

The Spurs have never won a Finals w/o HCA.

boutons_
04-07-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't think the not/breeze in the conf finals means anything.

The Pistons have played all year for Finals HCA.

It will be extremely difficult for the Spurs, if they get out of the West, to get a split in Games1,2 @Auburn Hills.

If the Spurs don't split Game1,2, Finals will be over, the Pistons win.

Jimcs50
04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Our best hope is the Heat beating Detroit for us. Don't hold your breath.

The Heat will not play the Pistons.

The Nets will beat the Heat, then beat the Pistons.

DarkReign
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Homer here. I wouldnt make the mistake of looking past your games PRECEDING the Finals.

Pistons only "SURE FIRE" round is Round 1. They will waste the 8th seed, no matter what.

After that, its pretty damn tough.

I am used to hockey formats, so excuse me for a moment....am I correct in saying that the NBA does NOT re-seed after each round?

Meaning, the brackets the league comes up with in the opening is played identically to the NCAA tournament?

If so, I have to revise this post.

Oh, Gee!!
04-07-2006, 10:04 AM

even better.

smeagol
04-07-2006, 10:05 AM
These posts crack me up :lol
Well, it's a Spurs site after all. :spin

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Given the way the Spurs have played this season I am not sure even they beleive in themselves yet. There hasn't been many if any inspiring wins this season. At least last season they had a win over Detroit, won some tough OT games on the road without Duncan, and of course the Phoenix OT game with Duncan. Where are the inspiring wins this season? Where is the dominance from Tim Duncan? Can Ginobili stay healthy enough to play more productive minutes in the playoffs? Was his awesome performance in the 2005 playoffs a fluke? Is Parker finally ready to dominate consistently in the playoffs and be efficient?
The lack of "inspiring" wins has a lot to do with expectations. The Spurs have won @ Dallas, @ Phoenix, @ NJ, and @ Miami. In other years, some of those wins might have been seen as mesuring sticks. However, this year the Spurs are the measuring stick, at least in the West.

The NBA this year is analogous to the mid-1980's, when observers could pencil in the Finals participants in the preseason (Lakers v. Celtics). The Spurs and Pistons so clearly are the class of their respective conferences that there isn't a whole lot of drama. There's been no point this season where the Spurs staked their claim and established themselves as the team to beat, because that's been a given all along and nobody else in the West has offered a credible challenge.

So there's not much drama associated with getting through the West. If the Spurs lose, it will be either because of injuries, or because they let down against an inferior team.

But this apparent clear sailing doesn't lead to any sense of blue-sky euphoria, because the Pistons loom, and all season long there's been a lot of whistling past the graveyard about how Flip's coaching eventually will be their undoing, or they'll break down from the starters' playing too many minutes, or how Miami eventually will catch up to them, or whatever else. But here it is, April 7, and they're 61-14, and the Spurs already have conceded HCA. Detroit looks like a pretty tough nut to crack this year.

Anyway, for me those are the gut feelings that explain why a Spurs' regular season like no other doesn't leave me feeling on top of the world. There's still a big uphill battle looming.

SpursWoman
04-07-2006, 10:06 AM

HarHar

Vinnie_Johnson
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM

You can hope all you want but NJ is not going to stop the Pistons. :drunk

SpurYank
04-07-2006, 10:10 AM
The intervening factors and variables are too many to count. Officials' calls, injuries, bench points, HCA (or not), and on and on.

On paper, the Spurs still look like the best team. Horry, Barry, Finley and Van Exel can easily add 25 to 30 points in each game. None of these games being played today make a difference, unless the team is still trying to get in. The Kings are not in yet, for example.

We have a proven coach and team chemistry. There is also an intensity factor that Horry and Manu bring. I don't see it there now with other players. But the playoffs are a new season completely, and a different attitude will surface.

Everything is conjecture right now.

Jimcs50
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
HarHar

It is true.

I am not confident in the Spurs fos some reason. In 99, 93 and 05, I would have bet a million dollars that the Spurs were going to win the title...this year, I would not bet 25 cents.

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 10:11 AM

This is an example of the aforementioned whistling past the graveyard. If Jim really were confident, he wouldn't engage in wishful thinking about some beatable team knocking off the Pistons so the Spurs don't have to. The good doctor from Philly does the same thing. First it was Miami, now NJ.

This line of thinking tacitly says that he doesn't believe the Spurs can beat the Pistons, but that somebody else somehow will do the dirty work for them.

Not. Gonna. Happen. If the Spurs are going to repeat, they'll have to go through Motown.

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 10:15 AM
It is true.

I am not confident in the Spurs fos some reason. In 99, 93 and 05, I would have bet a million dollars that the Spurs were going to win the title...this year, I would not bet 25 cents.

I think this Spurs team actually may be better than any of the title teams, yet still might not win it all.

On the other hand, I bet Knicks fans were wringing their hands over that 68-14 Celtics juggernaut back in '73. But Hondo's injury had a lot to do with how that turned out.

Jimcs50
04-07-2006, 10:42 AM
This is an example of the aforementioned whistling past the graveyard. If Jim really were confident, he wouldn't engage in wishful thinking about some beatable team knocking off the Pistons so the Spurs don't have to. The good doctor from Philly does the same thing. First it was Miami, now NJ.

This line of thinking tacitly says that he doesn't believe the Spurs can beat the Pistons, but that somebody else somehow will do the dirty work for them.

Not. Gonna. Happen. If the Spurs are going to repeat, they'll have to go through Motown.

I truly believe that NJ is going to take out Detroit.

I dod not believe SA can beat Detroit even with HCA, therefore, I want NJ in the Finals. It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out my motives.

:)

Nikos
04-07-2006, 11:10 AM
The lack of "inspiring" wins has a lot to do with expectations. The Spurs have won @ Dallas, @ Phoenix, @ NJ, and @ Miami. In other years, some of those wins might have been seen as mesuring sticks. However, this year the Spurs are the measuring stick, at least in the West.

I just don't consider those wins as anything more than quality. Didn't the Suns not have Nash @ Phoenix? NJ, Miami, and Dallas were good wins but nothing too spectacular or meaningful (ok maybe Dallas is nice).

They got emabarrased twice by the Pistons, even the second time at home with a healthy Ginobili. That was their chance to make a statement, but they got their asses handed to them. Dump it into Duncan, watch him struggle -- then watch the rest of the team give up for the most part (with a little Ginobili energy in the middle and end that did not matter anyway).

Their chance to prove their mettle against the true elite team was squandered. In the past they played the Lakers 4 times, and that give a nice barometer on how they matched up with them for the most part. By seasons end the Lakers were a nice test, even the Kings, even the T-Wolves in 2004 were a nice challenge.

But what is their to learn this season? That they can still play very well when not healthy, but not against Detroit clearly the best team the Spurs will have to face if they want to win the title (baring an unlikely upset). Miami is not healthy this year, Pacers were semi-legit before Artest ruined things. The Suns were legit until Amare went down.

If the league was a bit more lucky healthwise with the marquee teams their could be a lot of teams contending for the title.

Pacers, Suns, Spurs, Heat, and Pistons were supposed to be the cream of the crop. With their injuries now its basically only the Spurs and the Pistons. So the only true opportunity for the Spurs to test their championship mettle or get an inspiring win was against Detroit. And given they lost badly, and won't have homecourt it is obvious that they will be the underdogs.

Had the Suns, Pacers, and Heat been healthy all the way through this season they could be used a nice barometer for the Spurs mettle and confidence. But now, what exactly is their to be extremely confident about from a regular season standpoint? A win tonight vs Dallas would be nice, but HC and team health is absolutely crucial.

I just freakin wish TD was his old self and Ginobili was healthy all year. I also wish those other pre-season championship contenders were healthy and intact -- because that would make the league stronger, more interesting, and a provide more concise picture of where the Spurs stand.

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 11:51 AM
NBA Champs 1985-2005:

16 of 21 Champs had HCA in Finals, meaning only 5 of 21 did not have HCA.

However,
10 of those 21 Champs had best reg season record, meaning 11 of the last 21 Champs did not have the leagues best record. :blah

What does all this mean? Spurs are in no way shape or form "sunk" because of not having best record. If SAS vs Pistons in Finals, Pistons would certainly get that edge from home court.

With the Spurs finishing a whole 2 games behind the Pistons, i would like to see the Pistons record vs the Western Conference vs the Spursies record vs East.

Lot of time and games to be played. Some (not on this board i hope) were handing the Most Overated of All Time 2004 Lakers the title. Over the Pistons! So don't go telling me we are done.

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 11:55 AM
and SpursWoman were are some full body shots of you?

(Don't tell me you are another married chick.)

lil'mo
04-07-2006, 12:00 PM
:lol the spurs have never lost a finals

SpursWoman
04-07-2006, 12:24 PM
and SpursWoman were are some full body shots of you?

(Don't tell me you are another married chick.)

SpursWoman
MRS. Useruser666

Position: Streaky Guard
Team: San Antonio Spurs
vBookie Cash: $225

http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ccav2.jpg
^^ Useruser666

:)

It's not about the body shots, it's about the...

Chicks Helping Ensure Spurs Title

:drunk

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM

:lol Jim, you're crazy if you think Nets can beat the Pistons 4 games out of 7. I'll admit the Nets 14 game winning streak is impressive. But the Pistons have been more impressive over the course of the season. They've crushed the Spurs twice, have beaten Dallas, Pheonix, and Miami twice in the past month and half. They seem to have that "on" switch that Spurs seemed to have lost. Their starting 5 is the best in the NBA, no one is a better clutch three point shooter in important games than Chauncey Billups, their inside defense and rebounding with Big Ben and Sheed>>>>>>>>>>>Nets frontline. Nets big 3 can score all they want, yes IF they do end up meeting in the ECF, Nets will make it interesting. But no way they beat the Pistons 4 games.

Book it. :smokin

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 12:54 PM
[CENTER][IMG]It's not about the body shots, it's about the...

Chicks Helping Ensure Spurs Title

:drunk

Okay, if those hooters can help insure another Spurs title that is all good. :spin

Amuseddaysleeper
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM
If Duncan could return to his 02-04 form then I think its anybody's series, and the Spurs would have a great chance to win with homecourt.

Considering Duncan isn't near 100% and the fact that this team doesn't matchup well with Detroit, and they do not have homecourt -- well that makes things look gloomy. Then there is always the question come playoff time -- will Tony Parker play to his maximum capabilities and with consistency? Will Duncan actually take command? Will Ginobili up his game in the playoffs like last season?

There is a lot of questions to be answered. Health aside I don't really feel the Pistons are any better than the Spurs but this is assuming prime Duncan comes back and Parker playing well in the playoffs.

So many questions for the Spurs. Less questions for Detroit. Right now Detroit is the better bet -- but if most of the questions are answered the Spurs really aren't any worse than the best of the Pistons. But you have to give props for the Pistons for their regular season dominance, their lack of injuries, and solid basketball on BOTH ends of the court. This is the most balanced effort from the Pistons in the past 3 years, and maybe EVER.

I just wish the Spurs had homecourt because you know if both teams play their best (should they even meet in the finals) -- it should be a close series. And I would rather have Game 6/7 at the AT&T Center. Right now I am not convinced the Spurs were be so lucky as to have all the cards fall in their favor, which is why I am a bit upset that the Spurs aren't really in the HCA race anymore.

:tu :tu

boutons_
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
My concern with Tim is that he's moving well, good offense, good RBs, but still doesn't play Duncan defense.

Without his defense anchoring the entire defense, and with Nazr playing no paint defense, the Spurs are dead, may not get out of the WC.

leemajors
04-07-2006, 01:55 PM
home court isn't necessary, but it would sure be awful nice...

JamStone
04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
With the Spurs finishing a whole 2 games behind the Pistons, i would like to see the Pistons record vs the Western Conference vs the Spursies record vs East.

Detroit has played all of its games against the Western Conference. They are 25-5.

Detroit's losses to the Western Conference are:

@ Dallas
@ Utah
v. Utah
@ Denver
@ LA Lakers

14-1 against the Western Conference at home.
11-4 against the Western Conference on the road.

The Spurs are 21-8 against the Eastern Conference. Spurs have one more game against the EC, Orlando at San Antonio. Spurs likely should finish 22-8 against the Eastern Conference.

Fabbs
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=JamStone]Detroit has played all of its games against the Western Conference. They are 25-5.

Impressive. Better then Spurs vs East.
I am now officially taking it one series at a time, one game at a time.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-07-2006, 02:56 PM
well this thread settles it!

On to the 2006-2007 season!

:lol

admack35
04-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Horry, Barry, Finley and Van Exel can easily add 25 to 30 points in each game.

This must be some of those "whistling in the Wind" things suggested earlier, huh?

boutons_
04-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Van exel ain't gonna add shit, other than take bad shots and shoot 30%.

Did you see Pop try to sit Tony a little to end the half, Nick takes 2 horrible shots on two consecutive posessions, Tony's back at the scorer's table. Nick doesn't have a clue.

Jimcs50
04-07-2006, 06:15 PM
:, Nets will make it interesting. But no way they beat the Pistons 4 games.

Book it. :smokin

I feel even more confident now, as you suck at prognosticating, judging from your vBookie total.

Marklar MM
04-07-2006, 06:27 PM
I feel even more confident now, as you suck at prognosticating, judging from your vBookie total.

You jinx everyones bets. JYNX JYNX
http://www.dltk-kids.com/pokemon/adoptions/124.gif

Fabbs
02-26-2007, 04:11 PM
NBA Champs 1985-2005:

16 of 21 Champs had HCA in Finals, meaning only 5 of 21 did not have HCA.

However,
10 of those 21 Champs had best reg season record, meaning 11 of the last 21 Champs did not have the leagues best record. :blah

What does all this mean? Spurs are in no way shape or form "sunk" because of not having best record. If SAS vs Pistons in Finals, Pistons would certainly get that edge from home court.

Lot of time and games to be played. Some (not on this board i hope) were handing the Most Overated of All Time 2004 Lakers the title. Over the Pistons! So don't go telling me we are done.
Update after lasts years Heat over Mavs.
Now 16 of 22 Champs had HCA in finals, not thruout.
12 of the last 22 Champs did not have the leagues best reg season record. :madrun

lefty
02-26-2007, 05:04 PM
A Spurs-Pistons Finals rematch would be great for basketball

stretch
02-26-2007, 06:06 PM
A Spurs-Pistons Finals rematch would be great for basketball
only to Spurs and Pistons fans. i guarantee that most people would much rather see Mavs-Heat, especially because it has two big-time superstars in Wade and Dirk. most people would rather see Wade and Dirk go at it, as opposed to... well, no one.

Big Shot Rob
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
HCA is something that the Spurs can overcome.

Its nice to have--but not necessary. All we need to do is develop the ability to beat Dallas in Dallas. Since we play better on the road, that is definitely within our range.

SRJ
02-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Update after lasts years Heat over Mavs.
Now 16 of 22 Champs had HCA in finals, not thruout.
12 of the last 22 Champs did not have the leagues best reg season record. :madrun

I noticed that you carefully selected your target year of 1980-81.

In the entire history of the NBA, we have had a total of 60 NBA champions - and twenty-five of them had the unshared best record that season. Five additional champions were tied for the best record in the league that season: The 1955 Syracuse Nationals, the 1981 Boston Celtics, the 1998 Chicago Bulls, the 1999 San Antonio Spurs, and the 2003 San Antonio Spurs. In seventeen playoff series, these five teams had HCA for every series except for the 1998 Finals, or 94.1% of the time.

Of the thirty that did not have the best record, twenty-one of them had either the second or third best record that season. Those twenty-one teams held HCA 53 times out of 73 series played, or 72.6% of the time.

Now, combining the shared firsts with the seconds and the thirds makes 69 series with HCA out of 90 series played, or 76.7%.

And of course, EVERY series played by the twenty-five champions bearing the unshared best records came with homecourt advantage - 74 series in all.

When we add all series played by championship teams finishing in the top three in winning percentage - and again, that occurred fifty-one times in sixty NBA seasons - we have HCA for 143 series out of 164 series played, or 87.2%.

HCA may not be necessary, but since 51 of the NBA's sixty champions have held HCA 87.2% of the time, you must agree that it's highly useful.

EDIT:

Even including HCA for championship teams finishing 4th or worse (12 out of 32), the final HCA tally for all series played by championship teams is: 155 out of 196 - this percentage is 79.1%. HCA may not be technically necessary, but you're really behind the eight ball without it.

Fabbs
02-27-2007, 11:59 AM
SRJ
I noticed that you carefully selected your target year of 1980-81.
Modern era vs older era. Bird and Magic onward. So?

SRJ
Even including HCA for championship teams finishing 4th or worse (12 out of 32), the final HCA tally for all series played by championship teams is: 155 out of 196 - this percentage is 79.1%. HCA may not be technically necessary, but you're really behind the eight ball without it.
Agree. Thus i posted "Now 16 of 22 Champs had HCA in finals, not thruout."
That win % seems to line up with the all time stats you posted.
Which makes the Mavs choke last season is a rare HCA finals loss.

The threads title i really meant to put "Best Record in League is not neccessary for NBA title." Since the 2-3-2 format began in 1985, 10 of the last 22 Champs did not have the best reg season record.

Should the Mavs keep up their win percentage, history looks good.
Combined the top 8 All Time are 7-1 in Finals, 5-0 modern era. That bodes well for Dallas.
Chicago 1996 72-10
Chicago 1997 69-13
Lakers 1972 69-13
Sixers 1967 68-13
Celts 1973 68-14 No title.
Celts 1986 67-15
Chicago 1993 67-15
Lakers 2000 67-15

Supergirl
02-27-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm confused - isn't overall record the determinant of HCA? Right now, the Spurs are 39-18 and Detroit is 36-19, which means the Spurs would have HCA, I thought, against everyone except Dallas and Phoenix.

I think Detroit will come out of the East, the only real threat (unless Wade comes back for the playoffs) is Chicago, if they can get their shit together fast.

Detroit w/o HCA is a little scary. Dallas and Phoenix w/o HCA doesn't scare me, and Phoenix doesn't really scare me at all. SA has their number. Dallas scares me a little - but in a 7 game series, I'd still put money on the Spurs, because Dallas has proven nothing except their ability to choke in the big games.

We'll see.

If the playoffs were to start today, I predict this is how it would play out -

Dallas v. Clips or New Orleans - Dallas advances
Utah v. Houston - Utah advances

Dallas v. Utah - Dallas advances

Phoenix v. Denver - Phoenix advances but barely, in a grueling 7 games
SA v. LA - SA advances

Phoenix v. SA - SA advances

Dallas v. SA, SA wins in 6 or 7 games

In the East:
Detroit v. Miami - Detroit advances
Toronto v. Chicago - Chicago advances

Detroit v. Chicago - Man, this would be a tough match up, as good as Dallas v.s. SA in the semis last year. Should be the ECF, really. I'll go with Detroit.

Washington v. Orlando - Tough to call. Might have to go with Orlando pulling the upset, because I think in a 7 game series the better defense always wins.

Cleveland v. Indiana - Cleveland wins

Orlando v. Cleveland - Cleveland wins

Detroit v. Cleveland - Detroit wins

Rematch of the 2005 championships - Detroit v. SA. SA wins again, in 7 games.

Fabbs
02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm confused - isn't overall record the determinant of HCA?

Yes, but as the playoffs progress the top HCA often gets bumped off, like several since 2000 including last years Pistons and Spurs.

True also that the Western Finalist will have HCA over the Leastern Division no matter who comes out. (Okay barring a miracle.)
So when the Spurs win the West Conf playoffs this year we will have HCA vs the East finalist.

Altho Lord Sternfish has greatly taken away the Finals Home Court Adv with his silly 2-3-2 arrangement.