PDA

View Full Version : Friggin Finally!

SpursFanInAustin
08-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Here I was, in San Marcos getting off from class at 11 am. I usually get my $6 haircuts on Friday's but decided to skip it to race home on I-35 to watch the Argentina-USA game at 12, but noooooo, we got canoeing. Now that it's 1 pm, the game we've all been waiting for is about to start. Do we need to create an in-game (on tape delay) thread? Instead of posting on the spoiler thread?

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Use this one.

SpursFanInAustin
08-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Tim and Manu hit the first buckets of the game, how fitting.

SpursFanInAustin
08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Tim looks like he's gonna school Oberto all game long.

IcemanCometh
08-27-2004, 03:05 PM
it gets worse

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Ice, don't post spoilers, hints or anything about this game.

Thanks.

SpursFanInAustin
08-27-2004, 03:08 PM
Worse for Fabricio? I hope.

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Argentina is getting inside too easily. This better not keep up.

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 03:23 PM
having a ref from Spain is pretty scary.

SpursFanInAustin
08-27-2004, 03:30 PM
I wonder if the Spain coach will have some money under the table?

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 03:37 PM
hopefully it gets better than this :(

CrazyOne
08-27-2004, 04:17 PM
Wade! Then Manu for 3 and a foul... not a good sign...

T Park Num 9
08-27-2004, 04:22 PM
The Ref from Spain IMO sounds fishy.

These whole olympics the officials and others have been anti american.

Basketball, diving, softball, WHOLE BUNCH of sports.

Its such BS.

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 04:27 PM
Argentina is playing well. And the US not hitting outside shots again. Even with regular refs, I think US would still be losing playing like this.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
The refs have nothing to do with this. Other than Marbury getting undercut, they've called a pretty good game.

Our big men don't know how to hedge on the high screen and roll, and Airgay is a one man Argentinian run.

When he's not missing jumpers he's getting burned on defense.

Oh, and Larry Brown continues to play older players who are sucking ass while Lebron and 'Melo rot on the bench.

Spare me the Anthony doesn't play D argument, no one else on USA is either, may as well get someone in there who can match them bucket for bucket.

Das Texan
08-27-2004, 04:37 PM
larry brown is a stubborn prick.

the officials are fucking inconsistent as shit.

its fucking riduclious.

still we are playing like shit and throwing up garbage. of course its hard to win when your best player is on the bench thanks to some stupid bullshit calls.

T Park Num 9
08-27-2004, 04:41 PM
I agree with Aggie,

Larry Brown has done a poor job of coaching this team.

Big changes will be made.

IMO, its for the good of the game.

More players will see the error of there ways.

Next year at this time Im hoping were talking of bringing over Scola and a couple other european players.

KoriEllis
08-27-2004, 04:48 PM
How did they not call that on Marbury?

Is this how international refs always call games (inconsistently) or is it just like this in the Olympics?

It's so weird.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 04:49 PM
Strange parallels of coaching between this team and the last team not to win Olympic gold. In 1988 John Thompson was largely criticized about the way he used his players. He didn't provide enough help for his extremely talented big man, David Robinson.

adidas11
08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
According to DizzG, Larry Brown was supposed to be solution that George Karl wasn't.

T Park Num 9
08-27-2004, 04:52 PM
You know Mikey its funny, I thought of that this afternoon,

The US lost to yugoslavia was it? Against Sabonis...

Lots of good players on that team.

Nothing wrong with loosing to a better team folks, Like I said,

supposedly they played hard.

Richard Jefferson being the only one who should be whipped with a cane when he gets home.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-27-2004, 04:52 PM
I just hope no one eats up Larry's excuses.

He probably has as large if not the largest hand in our failures in Greece as any player he blames for not playing D, being lazy, not caring, not trying, etc. (insert pussy ass Larry Brown excuse here).

Tpark - I'd argue Larry Brown deserves it as well. But you are right Air Gay deserves it.

Hopefully everyone will realize what a joke he is, dude is the bane of US basketball right now.

Slomo15
08-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Is this how international refs always call games (inconsistently) or is it just like this in the Olympics?
I missed the beginning of the games, but as I was walking in the room I heard our commentator saying something about the basketball refs at this olympic games not being the top European/International refs. He was implying that the best refs were not invited or did not want to come.....

I've tried to find more info on this but have found none. Has anybody any info on the subject?

Again I have no real source for this so take it for what it is.
BTW every comentator I've listened to during Olympic basketball games has at one time or another complained about the general quality of the refs (and I've watched games on Slovenian TV, Croatian TV, Austrian TV, German TV, Serbian TV, Spanish TV and Eurosport).

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Mmm, about the refs, most of them are the top FIBA refs, there's just an Argentine and maybe a French ref missing from the FIBA's Top 20.

The only refs that are not in the top 20, are those from exotic nations that have no tradition in Basketball. Like the Mexican and the Austrian in the USA vs. Spain game.

About the calls, well I can't complain being an Argentine, but at least the refs weren't shy on calling fouls on Greece, Serbia or the USA, which was the fear of the rest of the nations. And the complainning always comes from the one who losses, like the Spanish press, who cried their hearts out about the refs in the USA game, while the American press didn't say anything.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 07:29 PM
Why are there no American refs for FIBA games?

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-27-2004, 07:34 PM
There is an american referee indeed, I think his surname is Carrion, he was at the Argentina vs. Serbia & Montenegro game, and surely in a couple more in the Preliminaries.

Edit: I think there's also another one called Aylen.

Solid D
08-27-2004, 07:39 PM
NBC announcers, Mike Breen and Doug Collins were mentioning that there was a buzz going on earlier in the day by people about the refs scheduled for the Argentina - USA game. Apparently one of the refs was from Spain. Based on yesterday's incident, there was talk that it would be a potential problem for team USA. They also said the same ref that was present for the two USA losses in this tournament, was ref'ing this game, also.

Not sure if that was true...but it's what they said.

Argentina still deserved to win, by the way they played, even though Tim Duncan got a raw deal (mistaken identity or phantom fouls) on at least 2 of his foul calls.

SAmikeyp
08-27-2004, 07:41 PM
I think the refs should be from countries not involved in the tournament. There were only 8 teams. Surely they could find refs from countries not involved.

ShineOnYouCrazyManu
08-27-2004, 08:43 PM
But that would rule out, Serbians, Italians, Spaniards, Argentinians, Lithuanian, Americans, etc... refs. There are not many leagues left with a strong local comptetion to provide good refs. My idea would be that a ref. couldn't be involved in a game where a nation that has already played against other nation (Like the Spanish referee today).

MI21
08-28-2004, 12:02 PM
The dude that said Aylen is American is wrong, he is Australian.