PDA

View Full Version : Pols Call for Ban of Regional Sports Exclusivity

Spurminator
04-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Senators: Ban Regional Sports Exclusivity

Todd Shields

APRIL 06, 2006 -

Two leading U.S. senators say they want to keep cable companies from withholding regional sports programming from competitors, a practice that critics contend unfairly impedes competition.

Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), chair of the Commerce Committee and Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), whom Stevens calls co-chair, told reporters Thursday that sports programming is of such importance to communities that it should be considered to be public, not private.

“There ought to be access by the public to sports programming, particularly in their area,” said Stevens. The senators spoke after delivering remarks at a luncheon in Washington.

Their remarks carry extra weight now because the Commerce Committee is preparing to draft its version of a communications bill. The measure will enjoy a high priority on the legislative calendar.

In a Tuesday letter to the Federal Communications Commission, Stevens and Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) wrote that they were “concerned that the potential for exclusive contracts for regional sports programming may unfairly impede competition.”

The letter mentioned complaints that Comcast-affiliated sports networks are withheld from satellite competitors in Philadelphia, where Comcast has deals with the 76ers, Phillies and Flyers.

Last month Verizon asked the FCC to ensure it could secure programming from Rainbow Media Holdings, a Cablevision subsidiary that holds rights to games of the Knicks, Rangers and Islanders in New York as well as the New Jersey Devils.

Stevens and Dorgan in their letter to the FCC asked the agency to consider imposing conditions on the joint bid by Comcast and Time Warner to acquire the customers of the bankrupt Adelphia.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002313257

pache100
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Interesting. Thanks for posting the article, I'd heard something about this on the radio, but did not get the details.

CubanMustGo
04-07-2006, 10:54 AM
Ted Stevens does something besides seeking pork barrel spending for AK? And something worthwhile?? Amazing.

T Park
04-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I wish they would straighten MLB out and their stupid blackout rules.

I dont understand why I in San Antonio

cant watch the Rangers and Tigers.

Stupidest idiotic thing I've ever seen.