SA210
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
http://www.cccaction.org/cccaction/april10_index.html

City: San Antonio
Date: 4/10
Time: 5:00PM
Event Details: TBD
Contact Name: Elisa Gonzalez and Claudia Sanchez
Contact Phone: 210-602-1533 (Elisa) or 210-355-4050 (Claudia)
Contact Email: [email protected] ([email protected]) (Elisa) or [email protected] ([email protected]) (Claudia)
Event Flyer (English) (http://www.fairimmigration.org/press/press_releases/April10_PDF/San%20Antonio/MarchFlyer%20English.pdf)

City: San Antonio
Date: 4/10
Time: 12:00PM walkout, 2:00PM student rally
Location: Campus of the University of Texas-San Antonio - walkout, Milam Park - student rally
Event Details: Student walkout and rally
Contact Name: Bonita, Cristina, Beth, Veronica - Siempre United
Contact Phone:210-269-5595 (Bonita), 210-391-0962 (Cristina), 210-391-0962 (Beth), 210-625-0994 (Veronica)
Contact Email: [email protected] ([email protected])

SA210
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
from website^^^

About the April 10 Day of Action

The plan for the April 10 Day of Action came from the grassroots. The National Capital Immigrant Coalition – a coalition of immigrant, labor, faith, civil rights and business community groups in the metro, Washington, DC area – and allies around the nation, developed the concept of a National Day of Action. Their good idea caught on like wildfire and today hundreds of local grassroots organizations and coalitions are working together in cities all over America to make our voices heard.

For months, the incredible energy and organizing talent within immigrant communities has been leading the national news. Communities that have lived in the shadows and in fear are now speaking out about how America's broken immigration system regularly rips families apart, creates the conditions for gross workplace and civil rights violations, and fuels a political climate where being “anti-immigrant” is considered by some politicians to be a winning strategy.

Immigrant communities are coming together on April 10 to proudly declare that “We Are America” and that immigration reform must not violate the American values that we cherish. In cities from coast-to-coast, immigrants, families and friends will gather, tell our own personal stories, demand political action and contribute our energy and talents to the growing movement for immigrant justice.

Our goal is to stop anti-immigrant legislation from becoming law and to pass real, comprehensive immigration reform that provides a clear path to citizenship, unites families, and ensures workplace and civil rights protections for all.

You can help support immigrant families on April 10.

Learn about events in your community
Sign our petition for immigrant rights
Make a donation to help support April10.org and the movement for immigrant justice

The April 10 Day of Action for Immigrant Justice is being organized by local grassroots organizations all across the nation. The www.April10.org website is hosted by the Fair Immigration Reform Movement (FIRM), a project of the Center for Community Change.

AlamoSpursFan
04-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Our goal is to stop anti-immigrant legislation from becoming law and to pass real, comprehensive immigration reform that provides a clear path to citizenship, unites families, and ensures workplace and civil rights protections for all.

Why the hell are people worried about this? They don't enforce the laws that are on the books NOW. Why would new legislation change anything???

:madrun

dougp
04-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Funny thing is, this isn't ANTI-IMMIGRANT ... It's ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT. I support immigration, properly. As a matter of fact, my GF is German and came over properly. It may be hard, but WTF? Do you want us to become the next China (size wise)?

Any student that walks out of school (non-college) should be promptly given a ticket and suspended.

T Park
04-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Funny thing is, this isn't ANTI-IMMIGRANT ... It's ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT

Don't tell these retards this....

SA210
04-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Funny thing is, this isn't ANTI-IMMIGRANT ... It's ANTI-ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT. I support immigration, properly. As a matter of fact, my GF is German and came over properly. It may be hard, but WTF? Do you want us to become the next China (size wise)?

Any student that walks out of school (non-college) should be promptly given a ticket and suspended.
It's about understanding thet they are human, and being human is Not illegal.

Spurminator
04-07-2006, 01:45 PM

You really need a better slogan.

King
04-07-2006, 01:49 PM

But being a human who comes over illegally is illegal.

SA210
04-07-2006, 01:51 PM
But being a human who comes over illegally is illegal.
How did your ancestors get here?

Spurminator
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
You know you have a bad slogan when it can be used at a NAMBLA march and still make sense.

Vashner
04-07-2006, 01:58 PM
P O L I T I Cs sucks the donkey in club..

AlamoSpursFan
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
You know you have a bad slogan when it can be used at a NAMBLA march and still make sense.

:lmao

AlamoSpursFan
04-07-2006, 02:27 PM

Mine came over on a boat and were processed LEGALLY through Ellis Island.

I'm mostly Irish, which makes me OWT. (Original White Trash) :lol

midgetonadonkey
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/chihuahuakid6gz.gif

T Park
04-07-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm mostly Irish, which makes me OWT. (Original White Trash

:lol

Im down with that....

post of the year

fraga
04-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I believe they conquered and killed mostly everyone coming up through Mexico while integrating themselves with the natives...why do you ask...

Besides....I didn't cross the border....the border crossed me...

T Park
04-07-2006, 02:58 PM

And if they walk out of regular school, the truancy officers should be there, and ready to arrest and asess fines.

IMMEDIATELY.

It's about understanding thet they are human, and being human is Not illegal

The train has left for wackoville.

PM5K
04-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I think the whole truancy threat is stupid, truancy laws are not about keeping kids from standing up for what they believe in.

One day of class isn't more important than standing up for what you believe in and having your voice heard over an important social issue in our country.

I can't believe people would rather have their kids in school and not giving a shit about what's going on in THE REAL WORLD.

dougp
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I think the whole truancy threat is stupid, truancy laws are not about keeping kids from standing up for what they believe in.

One day of class isn't more important than standing up for what you believe in and having your voice heard over an important social issue in our country.

I can't believe people would rather have their kids in school and not giving a shit about what's going on in THE REAL WORLD.
90% of them are doing it to get out of school, 8% of them are illegals who are too stupid to realize they're causing attention to their parents and the other 2% support proper immigration but don't want to see illegals here penalized.

PM5K
04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
90% of them are doing it to get out of school, 8% of them are illegals who are too stupid to realize they're causing attention to their parents and the other 2% support proper immigration but don't want to see illegals here penalized.

You don't have anything to support that but your own opinion.

T Park
04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
truancy laws are not about keeping kids from standing up for what they believe in.

Thats right.

They are there to make kids go to class.

Go to class, shut the pie hole and learn.

SA210
04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
You don't have anything to support that but your own opinion.
Exactly

Thats right.
They are there to make kids go to class.
Go to class, shut the pie hole and learn..

Exactly. Let's talk about some real issues here that people are afraid to talk about.

For one, it's a GREAT thing that these kids are standing up for something with these WALKOUTS, and I'm proud to stand by that opinion. Read what I am saying.

The schools are Not teaching the REAL history. The schools are Not teaching about These issues. The students walking out in protest ARE indeed EDUCATING themselves on these social issues that affect them and the country.

They Walkout in protest, for social change, to teach what the Classrooms are not teaching, to educate themselves and others on what their History books don't say.

That is very admirable. If it takes their sacrifice for the betterment and education of their future and their kids down the road, then that is VERY respectable.

Period.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 04:05 PM

I can't believe people would rather have their kids in school and not giving a shit about what's going on in THE REAL WORLD.I think the majority are just trying to get out of school, but I agree with your post none the less.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
And SA210, I want amnesty or the like for the people here but your approach isn't making much sense.

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2006, 04:09 PM
Exactly

Exactly. Let's talk about some real issues here that people are afraid to talk about.

For one, it's a GREAT thing that these kids are standing up for something with these WALKOUTS, and I'm proud to stand by that opinion. Read what I am saying.

The schools are Not teaching the REAL history. The schools are Not teaching about These issues. The students walking out in protest ARE indeed EDUCATING themselves on these social issues that affect them and the country.

They Walkout in protest, for social change, to teach what the Classrooms are not teaching, to educate themselves and others on what their History books don't say.

That is very admirable. If it takes their sacrifice for the betterment and education of their future and their kids down the road, then that is VERY respectable.

Period.

I would be a lot more impressed with their "sacrifice for the betterment and education of their future" If they held the march on a Saturday on their own time instead of skipping school.

T Park
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM

No they are walking out to skip class.

They don't teach the REAL history?

What history are they teaching??

Give me a fing break wacko.

T Park
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I would be a lot more impressed with their "sacrifice for the betterment and education of their future" If they held the march on a Saturday on their own time instead of skipping school.

YES

Even then they would still be 1000% wrong.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Heh, as someone quite familliar with protests I'll tell you why the walkouts are better than a weekend protest.

Because the walkouts gather far more attention.

Spurminator
04-07-2006, 04:15 PM
And SA210, I want amnesty or the like for the people here but your approach isn't making much sense.

That's the problem with a lot of protest marches in general. While their causes are often legitimate, the messages are often confusing or downright irritating...

But I'm still all for protesting. Just be smart about it. You're trying to GAIN the support of the general public, not piss them off.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Thats what happens when you have a few passionate and well informed individuals who are the leaders. The followers usually don't know what they're doing or why. Its the sad truth with protests.

SA210
04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
And what is my approach Manny?

That I want them to be able to come here and have the same opportunities that we all have? That this country is made up of immigrants? That I'm not blind to the obstacles of obtaining citizenship when these families are hungry right Now? That I'm responding to people trashing the march?

I see your point and Thanks.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 04:20 PM
If immigrants want to stay here, then they should use the same principles on which this great country was founded.

Kill off the current inhabitants and take their land.

CosmicCowboy
04-07-2006, 05:02 PM
If immigrants want to stay here, then they should use the same principles on which this great country was founded.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

classic

Jekka
04-07-2006, 05:11 PM

:lol

billboardbill
04-07-2006, 05:20 PM
SA210, isn't that huge chip on your shoulder getting heavy. You need to take it off, not too many people are against immigrants, they just say come over legally not illegally like a lot do.

PM5K
04-07-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm sorry but if you think that what these kids would have learned during the day that they skipped, is more important than what they are learning about during a walkout, and the statement they are making, and their participation in protests that affect our society then you highly over value the quality of education in this country.

billboardbill
04-07-2006, 05:23 PM
PM5K, a lot of these kids are doing the walkout only because they want to skip school and they think it is fun, NOT because they are trying to make a point.

PM5K
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
PM5K, a lot of these kids are doing the walkout only because they want to skip school and they think it is fun, NOT because they are trying to make a point.

Again, you THINK that, you don't KNOW it.

It's your opinion likely because that's the only reason you'd do it...

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry but if you think that what these kids would have learned during the day that they skipped, is more important than what they are learning about during a walkout, and the statement they are making, and their participation in protests that affect our society then you highly over value the quality of education in this country.And once again I agree.

billboardbill
04-07-2006, 09:05 PM
PM5K, also the same is true for you. YOU Think they know exactly why they are walking out of school. No I would not do it because if I was told not to by my parents, then I would stay in school. But.... I do know a lot of kids, and there are some that would be doing it just for the fun of it and to skip school.....if some of them can find a reason to leave school, most would.

SA210
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
March today!

Old School Chic
04-10-2006, 08:59 AM
March today!

:tu

blaze89
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM

Hilarious!!! :lol

Trainwreck2100
04-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Well my local Mexican restaurant was still open so I don't think many illegals went. Besides, why do people think illegals would be in a big group? Do they want to make it easy for la migra?

jcrod
04-10-2006, 04:09 PM
SA210, isn't that huge chip on your shoulder getting heavy. You need to take it off, not too many people are against immigrants, they just say come over legally not illegally like a lot do.

And ya'll need to understand its not that simple, if it was, they would. I posted this on the other thead, but i'll do it again.

Put yourself in this scenario, you can't find a job that would keep you and your family from being in the streets and dying. The wait is yrs to be processed to come over, even if you wait the prolong process you get denied for some stupid or no reason at all. You're desperate and know you'll find work over here. What would you do????? Stay and die or cross ILLEGALLY and make a better life for you and your family.

My parents came over legally when they were teenagers about half of my family are immigrants. None are here to live off the system, all they want is what everybody else wants.........work and to have an equal chance to have a good stable life like anybody else, especially for their childern.

If you've ever visited Mexico and I mean MEXICO not tourist areas, you'll know why they'll take a life risking chance to come over for a better life.

jcrod
04-10-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry but if you think that what these kids would have learned during the day that they skipped, is more important than what they are learning about during a walkout, and the statement they are making, and their participation in protests that affect our society then you highly over value the quality of education in this country.

Exactly, sure the majority are there to slack off, but some will learn while doing this. It could be a life changing experince for some.

jcrod
04-10-2006, 04:13 PM

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 04:14 PM

Part of my ancestory includes Native Americans.

The other part includes the OWT. :lmao

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Again, you THINK that, you don't KNOW it.

It's your opinion likely because that's the only reason you'd do it...

I saw some clips on the news of some kids that were protesting...the reporter asked them why they were doing it, and they didn't have an answer. At all.

PM5K
04-10-2006, 04:23 PM
I saw some clips on the news of some kids that were protesting...the reporter asked them why they were doing it, and they didn't have an answer. At all.

Which channel?

Vashner
04-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Well my local Mexican restaurant was still open so I don't think many illegals went. Besides, why do people think illegals would be in a big group? Do they want to make it easy for la migra?

Yup I bet there will be some catalog action going on after the marches.

They been building that face recognition Database up.

billboardbill
04-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Which channel???? What does that have to do with it. The thing is that the kids didn't have a clue as to why they were walking out.....

Spurminator
04-10-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't expect high schoolers to be perfectly articulate about their cause, particularly in front of TV cameras. Part of being politically/socially aware is participating in political/social events such as these. Maybe it starts as an excuse to get out of school, but it could lead to more involvement in the comminity and important decisions. At the same time, a lot of these kids are with their parents at these rallies... and a big theme of the rallies is Family.

I think there should absolutely be consequences for skipping school (because without them, what does skipping school to protest really mean?) but all the same, I agree that in the grand scheme of things, missing class is not really a big deal.

CharlieMac
04-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Aw fuck dude, I have to go to the downtown campus at 5:30.

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
I don't expect high schoolers to be perfectly articulate about their cause, particularly in front of TV cameras.

No, they had that "oh shit, we're busted!" look about them....but I wouldn't be surprised if they were purposefully looking for *those* types of kids.

My kids did get a letter sent home from school with them on Friday with a very clear warning about what the consequences would be if they skipped school for that reason.

And I don't have a clue what channel it was on ... this time of year if it's not posted on AHLL scoreboard or the calendar on my fridge for who has practice when & where, I don't pay that much attention. Sorry.

CharlieMac
04-10-2006, 05:01 PM
My grandparents came here legally.

From teh coverage, maybe the traffic won't be that bad heading to the downtown campus.

KEDA
04-10-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.

-Mitch Hedberg