PDA

View Full Version : Finley likes view from other side of annual race

CubanMustGo
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Dallas Morning-News story:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/columnists/dmoore/stories/040706dnspomoore.daab204.html

SAN ANTONIO – Michael Finley has seen this before.

It's just that the view is much better now.

The Mavericks have been chasing San Antonio for the better part of six years. The difference this season, Finley will tell you, is that he's "on top looking down."

Don't let your imagination – and indignation – run wild. Finley isn't bashing his former team. He's not making an incendiary remark. He's simply commenting on the reality reflected in the standings.

If anyone is in a position to speak honestly about the Mavericks' mind-set entering tonight's game against the Spurs, it's Finley.

"I think chasing infers your goal," said Finley, who spent more than 81/2 seasons in Dallas before moving down Interstate 35. "By that, I mean you're worrying about the team in front of you instead of worrying about yourself.

"In the past in Dallas, that was our problem sometimes, hoping that they would lose instead of just going out and taking care of our business."

The danger of chasing for so long is that players begin to watch rather than do. They wonder if the status quo will ever change rather than knowing they will be the ones to change it.

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson's fire is an essential element to reversing this dynamic. It's also part of the reason so much attention has been placed on this race.

"Everyone acts like this is some new thing, this thing with Dallas," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "The last five or six years have been exactly the same way. Exactly. A game difference or two. Half-a-game. Every single year. This isn't anything new, for us or for Dallas."

Johnson started on San Antonio's first championship team. Now he's trying to keep the Spurs from winning a fourth title. That's added another dimension to the rivalry. So has Finley's defection and a flawed seeding system that has the top two teams in the Western Conference on a second-round collision course.

What's new about this race is that the Mavericks are a more complete team than those that have challenged the Spurs in the past. San Antonio's Tim Duncan and Tony Parker have said it. So have others.

"I think they do match up better with San Antonio than they have in the past," said Sacramento coach Rick Adelman, who faced both teams in the span of 24 hours this week. "They [the Mavericks] are more athletic. They defend better. They're comfortable playing in the halfcourt game as well as getting up and down the court.

"The Spurs are the world champs. Someone is going to have to take it away from them. But I like Dallas' team and the way they play."

The Mavericks aren't assured of winning the Southwest Division if they beat San Antonio tonight. But they do know this: lose, and the Spurs will soon claim another division title and the No. 1 seed.

"I'm not going to try to figure out the math on that," Spurs center Nazr Mohammed said. "They can still win out. We can still lose. You never know what might happen.

"You want to win the game, stay above them and go from there."

No matter what happens tonight, that's where the Spurs will be. Above the Mavericks.

Again.

"Here, we just worry about our games," Finley said. "Nobody really talks about Dallas.

"I mean, we respect Dallas and what they've done this year. But we don't say we have to keep winning because Dallas is winning."

MAVERICKS KEEP COMING UP SHORT DOWN STRETCH

Where the Mavs and Spurs have stood in the standings on the morning of April 7 the last six seasons and how the race ended up:

Season Mavs record Relation to Spurs Outcome
2000-01 49-26 Four games behind Spurs by 5
2001-02 52-23 Half-game ahead Spurs by 1
2002-03 57-19 Half-game ahead Spurs won tiebreaker
2003-04 49-28 Three games behind Spurs by 5
2004-05 50-24 Five games behind Spurs by 1
2005-06 56-19 Two games behind TBD

pache100
04-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Dear Dad,

Camp is wonderful. I am having a lot of fun. The camp director is teaching me a lot (did you know there was "defense"?). There's lots of cool stuff to do. The other guys like me and think I'm great, I get to play in their games a lot. The people here like me, too. They say we will get "rings" at the end of camp. I sure hope so, because I've never seen one. I hope you're proud of me. Thanks again for sending me here, I know it cost you a bundle.

Love,
Mikey

velik_m
04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Dear Dad,

Camp is wonderful. I am having a lot of fun. The camp director is teaching me a lot (did you know there was "defense"?). There's lots of cool stuff to do. The other guys like me and think I'm great, I get to play in their games a lot. The people here like me, too. They say we will get "rings" at the end of camp. I sure hope so, because I've never seen one. I hope you're proud of me. Thanks again for sending me here, I know it cost you a bundle.

Love,
Mikey

:lmao :lmao brilliant!

SpursWoman
04-07-2006, 01:00 PM
So has Finley's defection

Odd thing to say, considering he was waived. :cooldevil

v2000
04-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Finley is one of the biggest reasons why I DONT want the Spurs to win a title. hes a complete traitor. he could have gone to Miami, Phoenix, or Detroit... all title contending teams. But no, he had to go to the biggest rival of all. I want him to leave the game with a ring, but not before the Mavs get one, just because hes a total traitor.

and too bad for you guys, because hes going to bring you all down in the playoffs. he did that WAY too many times with us, with his horrendously inconsistent shooting, and lack of clutch playoff shooting.

pache100
04-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Finley is one of the biggest reasons why I DONT want the Spurs to win a title. hes a complete traitor. he could have gone to Miami, Phoenix, or Detroit... all title contending teams. But no, he had to go to the biggest rival of all. I want him to leave the game with a ring, but not before the Mavs get one, just because hes a total traitor.

and too bad for you guys, because hes going to bring you all down in the playoffs. he did that WAY too many times with us, with his horrendously inconsistent shooting, and lack of clutch playoff shooting.

Your grasp of reality (or lack thereof) is constant source of amusement to me. Keep 'em comin'! :lol

greywheel
04-07-2006, 01:05 PM
How is he a traitor? The Mavs are the ones that severed the relationship.

pache100
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM

:lol They STILL don't get it! Poor Mavs fans.

(I'm not talking about all Mavs fans...you know who you are).

boutons_
04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
'But we don't say we have to keep winning because Dallas is winning."

Spurs don't have to keep winning because the Mavs fell, from being essentially tied with Spurs, into a late March hole of 5 losses in 7 games.

Personally, I would have liked a tighter race. Maybe that would have Spurred the Spurs into winning a couple more games, like vs Sonics and Kings.

SpursWoman
04-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Because he chose not to consider the Maverick fans when deciding that, after their owner cut him after being there 8+ years, that he'd like to play in San Antonio....and that they might not like that.

When did Dallas become San Antonio's biggest rival of all?

GoSpurs21
04-07-2006, 01:34 PM
When did Dallas become San Antonio's biggest rival of all?I dont think dallas is SA's biggest rival...that will always be the lakers...just too much history to every change that

but the Spurs are definitely dallas' biggest rival as I dont think they have ever won a playoff series against us.

BigVee
04-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Since he is a guy who will "bring you all down in the playoffs" seems like you should be happy he chose the "biggest rival of all"? Somewhat of a contradiction.

TDMVPDPOY
04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
the only thing i can say is, thank you mark cuban and the mavsfans for sponsoring michael finleys and the spurs championship ring this season :D:D cant wait till sumone do a photoshop of finley holdin the trophy with a pic of teh whole mavs team in the pic, just like teh rasho kg pic.

T-Pain
04-07-2006, 01:53 PM
shit, its great to have Finley on the Spurs

DDS4
04-07-2006, 02:09 PM

Traitor? Your boy Mark Cuban didn't have to waive Finley. He could have stayed a Maverick and I'd bet Finley would be OK with that. Once he was done with a Mav, all bets are off. He can go to any team he damn well chooses.

Does that make Avery a traitor also? He left the Spurs to become a Mav player and coach. I wish the best for Avery and hope he has continued success.

T Park
04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
:ll

Typical lunacy from Mavs fans.

island_dude
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
I don't agree that Finley is a traitor. I don't think he fit into the Mavs future plans, so I think letting him go was a business decision. I don't think he would've been content to play the same role in Dallas that he does in SA. It's funny because now that VanHorn is done, they could sure use his stroke from the arc now. It's true Fin can be very streaky at times though, and never really performed well in the playoffs. He might do better in the role he now plays in SA though, with less pressure.

I did question whether or not his motive to sign with the Spurs was a little vindication for the Mavs letting him go. I think he would've played a bigger role with the Suns, but probably saw a better opprtunity to get a ring in SA, and possibly a little more chance to prove the Mavs made a mistake. Still doesn't really make him a traitor in my mind. I suppose he could've talked alot of trash, saying the Mavs weren't loyal to him, but he's been nothing but class as far as I know. If the Mavs don't get there this year, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike get a ring. He deserves it!

v2000
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Since he is a guy who will "bring you all down in the playoffs" seems like you should be happy he chose the "biggest rival of all"? Somewhat of a contradiction.
thats not a contradiction at all.

v2000
04-07-2006, 03:20 PM
Traitor? Your boy Mark Cuban didn't have to waive Finley. He could have stayed a Maverick and I'd bet Finley would be OK with that. Once he was done with a Mav, all bets are off. He can go to any team he damn well chooses.

Does that make Avery a traitor also? He left the Spurs to become a Mav player and coach. I wish the best for Avery and hope he has continued success.
no, Avery got TRADED to the Mavs, during his final years, and Nelson helped develop him as a coach.

and Finley didnt HAVE to become a Spurs. his reasoning was very poor, in that he wants to win a ring. Detroit, Miami, and Phoenix were all interested in him.

and i STRONGLY doubt you want Avery to win a ring at the Spurs expense.

v2000
04-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't agree that Finley is a traitor. I don't think he fit into the Mavs future plans, so I think letting him go was a business decision. I don't think he would've been content to play the same role in Dallas that he does in SA. It's funny because now that VanHorn is done, they could sure use his stroke from the arc now. It's true Fin can be very streaky at times though, and never really performed well in the playoffs. He might do better in the role he now plays in SA though, with less pressure.

I did question whether or not his motive to sign with the Spurs was a little vindication for the Mavs letting him go. I think he would've played a bigger role with the Suns, but probably saw a better opprtunity to get a ring in SA, and possibly a little more chance to prove the Mavs made a mistake. Still doesn't really make him a traitor in my mind. I suppose he could've talked alot of trash, saying the Mavs weren't loyal to him, but he's been nothing but class as far as I know. If the Mavs don't get there this year, I wouldn't mind seeing Mike get a ring. He deserves it!
i just dont want him to get a ring at the Mavs expense. I'd like him to do well, but the Mavs ALWAYS come first.

nkdlunch
04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
"if you can't beat them, join them"

T Park
04-07-2006, 03:28 PM
It's funny because now that VanHorn is done, they could sure use his stroke from the arc now. It's true Fin can be very streaky at times though, and never really performed well in the playoffs.

Finally, an honest Mavs fan.

And the performing well in the playoffs,

take a look at his minute averages in the regular season, and Nelson running his ass ragged.

Thats the reason.

LEONARD
04-07-2006, 03:42 PM
1. Finley could've stayed, but he wasn't going to accept a bench role, which is what Avery wanted.

2. Him not being on the team has made the Mavs better suited for the playoffs.

3. He fits well on the Spurs because they were already built for the playoffs. He can come off the bench and is expected to hit some jumpshots and that's about it.

4. He's not an idiot. He wanted the best shot at a ring. Money didn't matter since Cuban is paying $17M/yr the next 3 yrs just for him to take a hike.

How do Spurs fans feel about Finley? Are ya'll generally happy with his contribution this season?? 40% FG and 37% on 3's is just avg for SG I suppose. When he's on he can light it up, but when he's off you might as well leave him on the bench. For what he costs the Spurs, he's not a bad player...

T Park
04-07-2006, 03:47 PM
How do Spurs fans feel about Finley?

I thought he would shoot about 45% and 45% on threes.

Slightly dissapointing on his shooting, but hes practically won games for the Spurs many times this year with BIG shots, so thats made up for it.

All in all, a guy playin 20 minutes, giving decent D, and 10 points a game?

Ill take that comin off the bench.

T Park
04-07-2006, 03:48 PM
2. Him not being on the team has made the Mavs better suited for the playoffs

Even before Van Horn got hurt,

you would've taken Van Horn coming off the bench, rather than Finley?

Thats interesting.

Vingianx
04-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Dear Dad,

Love,
Mikey

BRAVO!

Vingianx
04-07-2006, 03:55 PM

imagine if your team cut you lose, how would you feel?

I'd say get them where it hurts the most.....win with the Spurs

Vingianx
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM

good point...just shows that bitterness is mostly involved here

leemajors
04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
i don't think finley could have stayed, cuban was looking to cut salary and finley was the choice. he could have gone somewhere else, yes. but he was going to get cut, he was making a LOT of money and they thought he was expendable - which was understandable, given they had howard and daniels who essentially play the same position.

sanman53
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
his reasoning was very poor, in that he wants to win a ring.

Sounds like a good reason to me. He came to the place he thought had the best opportunity to win a ring.

LEONARD
04-07-2006, 05:55 PM
Even before Van Horn got hurt,

you would've taken Van Horn coming off the bench, rather than Finley?

Thats interesting.

Finley coming off the bench here was never an option. He wouldn't go for that. He'd have been starting, which would've taken minutes from Daniels. Daniels may not be an outside shooting threat, but I like his all-around game better than Finley at this point in Finley's career.

and KVH was Dirk's backup anyway...

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda
Here I am at Camp Bravatar
Camp is very stimulatin
And they say we'll have some fun if Tim starts playin

Now I don't want this to outrage
But Detroit has court advantage
Interior defense is a problem
Rasho can't dunk and Nazr is always bobblin

Back .. . to . . . backs
We never win 'em
Smart . . . ass . . . cracks
'Bout Bowen's defendin'
Don't leave me in the Spurs forum where
Tempers are as short as Sequ's hair

Clank . . . clank . . . clank
Goes Barry's shooting
Bank . . . bank . . . bank
What Holt Cat's pursuing
They're too old, or so the whisper goes
They're just a bunch of ordinary joes

Playoffs started, Pop is scheming
Nick is scowlin, Marks is gleaming
Coming out with a new purpose
Beno doesn't even keep track where his purse is

Now the playoff games are playin
Shots are falling, Kobe's wailing
Robert Horry, draining three balls
Salvatore going berserk with his cheap calls

Mavs went down like simperin' bitches
Spanked the Suns with their own switches
Now they tremble, do the Pistons
As Two-One reminds them who the MVP is

Manu's twistin', Tony's teardrop
Eva's smile all make your jaws drop
Saunders' coaching like a reject
Mudda Fadda thank Mark Cuban for my paycheck!

Bravatars are so in full force
Hugh Hefner will call in due course
Fans leap up and spill their nachos
As the Spurs hold up O'Brien Trophy Cuatro!

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 07:40 PM
^:lmao :lmao