PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Free Agents (ESPN.com Insider)

CubanMustGo
04-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Free agent roundup: Look for price of big men to rise
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider

When summertime comes and the Detroit Pistons and Ben Wallace sit down to discuss a new contract, Big Ben won't have his longtime agent working on his behalf.

Wallace fired the agent, Steve Kaufman, a few months ago and plans to replace him with an attorney who will bill him on an hourly basis.

If he wants a trade kicker in his deal, Wallace had better hope his new attorney knows how to get one. If he wants bonus payments for making the All-Star team, winning the NBA championship or being named Defensive Player of the Year, that new lawyer had better be proficient in the collective bargaining agreement language pertaining to bonuses he is likely or unlikely to earn.

Normally, an agent would take care of those types of details -- as well as playing the Pistons off any other potential suitors.

But the fact that Wallace will be going the cheap route in the biggest negotiation of his career is the surest sign of all that he's dead set on staying with the Pistons when he becomes an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"The last thing I need at this point in my career is someone taking 4 percent of my next contract," Wallace told ESPN.com last week, raising his eyebrows but declining to comment when it was pointed out that the Chicago Bulls might be in the market for his services if they truly believed he was available.

Instead, the Bulls will almost certainly look elsewhere to fill their big man needs when they enter this summer as the No. 1 player on the free agency market. Depending on the size of the salary cap, the Bulls should have some $15 million to $20 million to play with. One problem, however, is how the caliber of available centers drops off after Wallace.

And with the Toronto Raptors also seeking some size on the open market (they are one of only a few teams -- Chicago and Charlotte among them -- with significant cap room), the price of big men might inflate.

That is why Nazr Mohammed and Joel Przybilla are getting ranked higher than other players with more talent as ESPN.com breaks down the free agent class of 2006 into an updated Top 25.

(All free agents are unrestricted unless otherwise noted. Restricted free agents are subject to having offers matched by their current teams.)

The Top 25:

1. Ben Wallace, Pistons
The midseason trade of Darko Milicic and Carlos Arroyo to Orlando was made with the express intent of clearing money for Wallace. To make him the highest-paid Piston, Detroit would have to offer him a deal beginning at $12,000,001. If the Pistons come in south of that level, which they will almost certainly try to do, Wallace may regret his decision to proceed without a traditional agent.

2. Al Harrington, Hawks
What kind of starting salary will Atlanta bring to the table when negotiations begin? If Harrington believes the offer is too low, he'll look to leave through a sign-and-trade deal. But how many teams out there are willing to pay Harrington's price? And can they give Atlanta a good player(s) in return in a sign-and-trade? The presence of Marvin Williams and Josh Smith will make Harrington expendable if his price is more than the Hawks will pay, but as of now there are more questions than answers here.

3. Jason Terry, Mavericks
Stop us if you've heard this before: The Mavs have a point guard who might command more money on the open market than owner Mark Cuban is willing to pay, and that point guard could turn to his former team, which is desperate for a playmaker. But in this case, we're talking about Terry and the Hawks, not Steve Nash and the Suns.

4. Nazr Mohammed, Spurs
There were a few people wondering what Nazr was thinking when he turned down an extension worth more than $20 million prior to opening night, but this 7-footer has upped his value over the course of the season by reclaiming his starting spot from Rasho Nesterovic.

5. Joel Przybilla, Trail Blazers
When a couple of his teammates angered him with their effort level, Portland coach Nate McMillan urged Przybilla to take his complaints public. He did, and he'll probably decide it's a wise move to bail out of this sinking ship while he can.

6. Nene, Nuggets (restricted)
The injured Brazilian forward fired agent Michael Coyne and switched to Dan Fegan, who has a reputation for getting his clients top dollar on the open market. The decision on whether Nene will go or stay will be influenced by whether general manager Kiki Vandeweghe survives in Denver.

7. Mike James, Raptors (opt out)
Newly installed GM Bryan Colangelo has reservations about whether it's worth the long-term risk to keep James, who will be 31 at the start of next season, for the amount of money James will command after what has been by far the best season of his career. Look for a sign-and-trade deal here.

8. Peja Stojakovic, Pacers (opt out)
It's tough to find anybody who believes Stojakovic will truly be on the market this summer, the thinking being that the Pacers were smart enough to get a wink-wink deal in place before they acquired Peja for Ron Artest. Such deals are in violation of NBA rules, but their existence is hard to prove.

9. Vladimir Radmanovic, Clippers
He surrendered his Larry Bird rights when he accepted the deal that sent him from Seattle to Los Angeles, so the most he can get is the midlevel exception (about $5 million). But there will be teams lining up to offer him that money.

10. Drew Gooden, Cavaliers (restricted)
We'll rank him as the third-best power forward on the market behind Harrington and Nene simply because more teams like Nene's upside, whereas there's a general feeling that the Gooden we're seeing now is as good as he'll ever be.

11. Chris Wilcox, SuperSonics (restricted)
It's hard to find any other big man who has improved his stock over the second half of the season as much as Wilcox, who is now being spoken of as a member of Seattle's core group of young players.

12. Bonzi Wells, Kings
There is a dearth of free agent talent available at shooting guard, and if the Kings don't get out of the first round of the playoffs (or make the playoffs, for that matter) they won't be willing to make Wells the same type of long-term commitment he might find elsewhere.

13. Reggie Evans, Nuggets
Another player who forfeited his Bird rights when he agreed to a midseason trade, Evans is establishing full midlevel value through his play off the bench for Denver.

14. Marcus Banks, Timberwolves
If Wilcox has done the most of any big man to improve his value, Banks certainly takes the award in that category among guards. Went from being unused in Boston to a starter in Minnesota. But can he get Earl Watson-type money on the open market?

15. Alonzo Mourning, Heat
You'd think he'd be happy now that he's back in Miami and still laughing over the buyout he got from the Raptors. But 'Zo is never completely happy, and now he wants one more big money deal. You buying, Riles?

16. Bobby Jackson, Grizzlies
He's been pigeonholed into a career as a sixth man, but he's been getting the job done lately for the Grizzlies while Chucky Atkins and Eddie Jones have struggled.

17. Sam Cassell, Clippers
If he doesn't end up back with Los Angeles (they'd like to keep him if the price is right), he'll find a new home somewhere else and probably lead that team to the playoffs, too.

18. Flip Murray, Cavaliers
Gave up his Bird rights because he wanted to establish some value, and he's getting his chance as Cleveland's starting two guard. Will likely get at least a piece of somebody's midlevel exception.

19. Rasual Butler, Hornets
A great shooter, and one of the best under-the-radar players out there, he's been a decent contributor for the league's most surprising team.

20. Tim Thomas, Suns
Has already reestablished some nice value with his strong play for Phoenix, and a big postseason could put him over the top. That's how he got his last monster contract from the Bucks.

21. Speedy Claxton, Hornets
His stock has fallen as fast as Banks' has risen, but he's still one of the few solid veteran point guards available. Played for Larry Brown in Philadelphia and the Knicks might seek a reunion if they can't get James from Toronto. Just say no to the NYN, Speedy!

22. Lorenzen Wright, Grizzlies
Lost his job to Jake Tsakalidis before regaining it by default when Big Jake hurt his thumb two weeks ago. Memphis tried to trade him before the deadline and is unlikely to want him back.

23. DJ Mbenga, Mavericks (restricted)
Interest in him might be reduced by the fact that other teams will expect Mark Cuban to match any reasonable offer for the center who has supplanted Erick Dampier as Dallas' most effective defensive big man.

24. Keith Van Horn, Mavericks
He's done for the year after breaking his hand, which will probably cost him some money. He would have had a chance to boost his stock in the postseason.

25. David Wesley, Rockets
There are quite a few veteran guards vying for this final spot, so take your pick of Wesley, Nick Van Exel, Atkins, Gary Payton, Tony Delk and Milt Palacio.

Others: Restricted: Alex Acker, Pistons; Trevor Ariza, Magic; Keith Bogans, Rockets; Antonio Burks, Grizzlies; Kevin Burleson, Bobcats; Jackie Butler, Knicks; Ronald Dupree, Timberwolves; Francisco Elson, Nuggets; Melvin Ely, Bobcats; Devin Green, Lakers; Jared Jeffries, Wizards; Fred Jones, Pacers; Mario Kasun, Magic; Boniface Ndong, Clippers; Andre Owens, Jazz; Shavlik Randolph, 76ers; Justin Reed, Timberwolves; Bernard Robinson, Bobcats; John Salmons, 76ers; Awvee Storey, Wizards; Jiri Welsch, Bucks.

Unrestricted: Shandon Anderson, Heat; Darrell Armstrong, Mavericks; Stacey Augmon, Magic; Matt Barnes, 76ers; Lonny Baxter, Bobcats; Michael Bradley, 76ers; Rick Brunson, Rockets; Anthony Carter, Timberwolves; Kelvin Cato, Pistons; Calbert Cheaney, Nuggets; Jarron Collins, Jazz; Antonio Davis; Richie Frahm, Rockets; Reece Gaines, Bucks; Devean George, Lakers; Eddie Gill, Pacers; Adrian Griffin, Mavericks; Alan Henderson, Cavs; Lindsey Hunter, Pistons; Jermaine Jackson, Bucks; Jim Jackson, Lakers; DerMarr Johnson, Nuggets; Ervin Johnson, Bucks; Jumaine Jones, Bobcats; Toni Kukoc, Bucks; Voshon Lenard, Trail Blazers; Sean Marks, Spurs :lol ; Darrick Martin, Raptors; Walter McCarty, Clippers; Terence Morris, Magic; Lamond Murray, Nets; Michael Olowokandi, Celtics; Greg Ostertag, Jazz; Bo Outlaw, Magic; Jannero Pargo, Bulls; Eric Piatkowski, Bulls; Scot Pollard, Pacers; Bryon Russell, Nuggets; Jamal Sampson, Kings; Charles Smith, Nuggets; Latrell Sprewell; Jacque Vaughn, Nets; Jake Voskuhl, Bobcats; Mike Wilks, Sonics; Aaron Williams, Hornets; Loren Woods, Raptors; Qyntel Woods, Knicks.

Player options: Derek Anderson, Heat; Ryan Bowen, Rockets; Greg Buckner, Nuggets; Eddie House, Suns; Mark Jackson, Hornets; Jeff McInnis, Nets; Mikki Moore, Sonics; Ruben Patterson, Nuggets; James Posey, Heat; Darius Songaila, Bulls; DeShawn Stevenson, Magic; Maurice Taylor, Knicks; Chris Webber, 76ers; Eric Williams, Raptors.

Darrin
04-08-2006, 09:03 AM
I'd love to see the Pistons re-sign Ben Wallace (5 yrs) and Lindsey Hunter (over the cap), and split their MLE on Devean George (3 yrs) and Tony Delk (3 yrs).

td4mvp21
04-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd love to see the Spurs sign Ben Wallace. :-)

Darrin
04-08-2006, 08:56 PM
I'd love to see the Spurs sign Ben Wallace. :-)

Sure! I can see that happening. The Spurs trade Tim Duncan and Tony Parker to the Pistons in a sign-and-trade for Ben Wallace and Mo Evans.

DarkReign
04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
...and then the Pistons package TP and Rasheed for KG and a 1st round pick in the next 3 drafts.

:lol

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2006, 10:38 PM
As a realistic Spurs fan, Francisco Elson stands out as a replacement for Nazr.

ChumpDumper
04-08-2006, 11:17 PM
23. DJ Mbenga, Mavericks (restricted)
Interest in him might be reduced by the fact that other teams will expect Mark Cuban to match any reasonable offer for the center who has supplanted Erick Dampier as Dallas' most effective defensive big man.Dude has his big Africans mixed up.

Swing and a miss.
As a realistic Spurs fan, Francisco Elson stands out as a replacement for Nazr.I imagine Denver would match offers for him and let Nene go. I also think Javtokas could do at least as well as Elson, and no wait required for him.

exstatic
04-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Ruling out the top 25, who will get paid, players I'd like the Spurs to look at:

Jamal Sampson, James Posey (if he opts out), Bernard Robinson (CHA), maybe Qyntel Woods. If the money dries up quickly, maybe Rasual Butler from the top 25 could be had.

Posey is an interesting case. SF. Plays for the Heat. Known defender. Shown some great 3 point shooting. Perhaps underappreciated with the cast of stars around him. Sound like anyone you know?

Guru of Nothing
04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
I imagine Denver would match offers for him and let Nene go. I also think Javtokas could do at least as well as Elson, and no wait required for him.

I'm all for promoting Javtokas [/homer] - I lack the savvy to compare him to Elson.

Leetonidas
04-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Pryzbilla I always liked. He has talent.

exstatic
04-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Pryzbilla I always liked. He has talent.

Well, there's actually more that a few players that I like in the top 25. I just don't think we're getting them. I based by choices on the possibility of obtaining the player.

TDMVPDPOY
04-09-2006, 10:07 AM
chicago are dumb, they got what 15-20mill to play with and teh knicks stupid top pick which is not protected, they could just draft sum big guyz in the draft and use the 15-20mill they have on a first option superstar thats available or trades for a franchise player.

ChumpDumper
04-09-2006, 03:46 PM
chicago are dumb, they got what 15-20mill to play with and teh knicks stupid top pick which is not protected, they could just draft sum big guyz in the draft and use the 15-20mill they have on a first option superstar thats available or trades for a franchise player.Man, when Nazr is the #4 free agent, you know it's a weak class.

Chicago has a ton of options and they know it. The trouble with drafting a big man is that very few are going to help anytime soon. At the same time, the free agent big men out there have all the offensive prowess of my left buttock. Maybe a trade could be worked out -- I'm sure Sam Smith will be making up shit every day we can post here and act like it's really being considered.

IceCold CB1
04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
This draft and FA is real weak

Darrin
04-09-2006, 06:35 PM
This draft and FA is real weak

This usually sets up for massive trades. Things like Dirk Nowitzki for Kevin Garnett (which could happen if the Mavs lose to the Spurs in the playoffs).

Guru of Nothing
04-09-2006, 07:02 PM
left buttock

If I was into internet aliases, I'd be all over "left buttock."

JHoLove
04-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Dude has his big Africans mixed up.

Swing and a miss.

Yah I was like what? Top Free Agent? Hmmm. averaging a point and a rebound a game. albeit he has potential.