PDA

View Full Version : Kurt set to get started

ducks
10-03-2004, 10:35 AM
Kurt set to get started

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

As long as Isiah Thomas' cell phone is working, the clock on Kurt Thomas' career in New York will continue ticking.

Thomas, the Knicks' incumbent power forward, defied the odds over the summer by not being traded to Dallas, Golden State, New Jersey, Toronto or Minnesota. His status could change at any minute, but until that day, Thomas wants everyone to remember that he still sees himself as a starter.

"Without a doubt, that's a given," he said. "I think everyone knows that. Nothing has changed."

Change is always imminent around the Knicks and the team is hoping it can revive trade talks with the Minnesota Timberwolves and bring Long Island product Wally Szczerbiak back to New York. The Knicks' interest in Szczerbiak, a small forward/shooting guard, is another indication they are extremely concerned about Allan Houston's health.

That the deal would include Kurt Thomas shows that the team is confident that Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney, Jerome Williams and Vin Baker are more than adequate replacements at power forward. Lenny Wilkens even said that every starting job is available for the taking (with the notable exception of point guard, of course.)

Some NBA scouts believe the Knicks would be sacrificing much-needed low-post defense for scoring if they made the deal. Others suggest that Thomas is still the team's best big man.

"I don't really worry about trade rumors because it seems like every summer I'm going to get traded," Thomas said. "It comes with the territory."

Thomas signed a four-year, $30 million contract extension last March and two months later he had surgery to repair a ruptured tendon in his right pinkie. Thomas' shooting hand has healed and he will be available for the Knicks' first practice on Tuesday in Charleston, S.C.

Thomas reiterated that he is not upset that the Knicks have tried on several occasions to trade him. He is, however, still stung by comments made by Wilkens last May that the Knicks needed a more physical power forward, one that would give the team a "real low-post presence."

Thomas responded by saying that Wilkens had stopped running plays for him. The forward's numbers were down after he signed his extension, but according to him, his lack of production had nothing to with his injured hand or his fat wallet.

"Look at my shot attempts," he said. "That's what went down. I never stopped playing hard."