PDA

View Full Version : Turn Out Global Warming might not be a conspiracy, but also not our fault

101A
04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Article: (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/56456.stm)

Yonivore
04-07-2006, 06:15 PM
I also loved the article that said environmental controls may be making it worse.

I knew it all along...environmentalists are killing the earth!

Air trends 'amplifying' warming (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4880328.stm)

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 06:25 PM
You might want to reference articles taht aren't almost a decade old.

I agree the sun is a big factor, but that article is very old.

RandomGuy
04-07-2006, 07:49 PM
I also loved the article that said environmental controls may be making it worse.

I knew it all along...environmentalists are killing the earth!

Air trends 'amplifying' warming (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4880328.stm)

straight up question for you. A game of russian roulette.

I will put one magnum bullet in a .45 caliber revolver, spin the chamber, and give you $100 for each pull of the trigger you take, with the added stipulation that if you die, I will also kill your entire family.

Yoni, would you take me up on it?

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
straight up question for you. A game of russian roulette.

I will put one magnum bullet in a .45 caliber revolver, spin the chamber, and give you $100 for each pull of the trigger you take, with the added stipulation that if you die, I will also kill your entire family.

Yoni, would you take me up on it?
Precautionary principle?

Nbadan
04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
This is called Solar Variation Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation_theory) and almost every critical study has come to the same conclusion, although there is some correlation between sun-spot cycles and the warming/cooling of the Northern Hemisphere, there is a even stronger correlation between global-warming and the warming of the Northern Hemisphere.

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 11:56 AM
This is called Solar Variation Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_variation_theory) and almost every critical study has come to the same conclusion, although there is some correlation between sun-spot cycles and the warming/cooling of the Northern Hemisphere, there is a even stronger correlation between global-warming and the warming of the Northern Hemisphere.
But now we're talking about a correlation between solar activity, clean air initiatives, and global warming...aren't we?

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 12:47 PM
But now we're talking about a correlation between solar activity, clean air initiatives, and global warming...aren't we?

Historically, during periods of decreased solar 'sun-spots' there has been a correlation between the earth cooling, and heating during periods of increased activity, these periods usually go through 10-11 year cycles. However, since 1980 the data does not correlate between sun-spot activity and the earth temperature, so scientist are convinced that there is another force at work, something stronger than 'sun-spot' activity, and many are convinced the cause is global-warming.

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Historically, during periods of decreased solar 'sun-spots' there has been a correlation between the earth cooling, and heating during periods of increased activity, these periods usually go through 10-11 year cycles. However, since 1980 the data does not correlate between sun-spot activity and the earth temperature, so scientist are convinced that there is another force at work, something stronger than 'sun-spot' activity, and many are convinced the cause is global-warming.
Yeah, right!

Then we find out there is no correlation between global warming and industrialization...(the supposed "man-made" component to global warming).

There IS a problem with global warming... it stopped in 1998 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/04/09/do0907.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/04/09/ixworld.html)

So, tell me. If the earth went through a global warming period before industrialization had time to have an affect (1918-1940) and then the earth went through a global cooling period during the years the earth's civilizations were belching out global warming "precursors" at a record pace (1940-1965); and then the earth went through a global warming period after many pollution controls had been instituted (1970-1998); and now, the earth had pretty much stayed at a stable temperature for 7 years (1998-2005)...what does that tell you?

I'll tell you what it tells me, humans have absolutely no affect on global climate. Period. Whatever is cooling and warming the earth, it ain't us.

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 01:16 PM
Consider the simple fact, drawn from the official temperature records of the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia, that for the years 1998-2005 global average temperature did not increase (there was actually a slight decrease, though not at a rate that differs significantly from zero).

The whole thesis of your article could have been reduced to this one simple sentence...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Instrumental_Temperature_Record.png
This image shows the instrumental record of global average temperatures as compiled by the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia and the Hadley Centre of the UK Meteorological Office.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c1/2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png
Historical global temperature for the last 2000 years

Source:Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.png)

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Ah, Wikipedia!

Define anomaly as used in the first graph and then, give me the sources (I'm assuming they're represented by the colored lines) for the recorded temperatures over the past 2,000 years.

I think the Brits have a word for your post...yeah, that's right...rubbish.

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 01:36 PM
http://www.junkscience.com/MSU_Temps/Moberg2005.gif

Look, I have graphs too!

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Ah, Wikipedia!

Define anomaly as used in the first graph and then, give me the sources (I'm assuming they're represented by the colored lines) for the recorded temperatures over the past 2,000 years.

I think the Brits have a word for your post...yeah, that's right...rubbish.

Well, I don't care what you think of the data supplied by Wikipedia, agree with it or not, I'm just here to present the facts as we currently know then in a the most unbiased and concise approach that I can. There is also a word for people like you who can’t fight fact with facts - charlatans.

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Well, I don't care what you think of the data supplied by Wikipedia, agree with it or not, I'm just here to present the facts as we currently know then in a the most unbiased and concise approach that I can. There is also a word for people like you who can’t fight fact with facts - charlatans.
I guess you missed my graph that disputed the wikipedia version.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
:lmao

You can't argue with Nbadan and his use of the wiki. After all, dude uses a study about hurricanes and their possible reactions to climate change 100 years from now to proove Katrina was caused by man.

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I guess you missed my graph that disputed the wikipedia version.

Only if this is 1951. Which it might be for you.

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
:lmao

You can't argue with Nbadan and his use of the wiki. After all, dude uses a study about hurricanes and their possible reactions to climate change 100 years from now to proove Katrina was caused by man.

:rolleyes

And you use oned study by a likely partisan hack with a grudge to prove otherwise. Come back when you have something better than that.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Only if this is 1951. Which it might be for you.Before busting out big charts, you may want to learn to read them. That graph goes on into the current millenium. I don't know how good it is, but perhaps you could read it correctly at least?

mookie2001
04-10-2006, 02:05 PM

And you use oned study by a likely partisan hack with a grudge to prove otherwise. Come back when you have something better than that.

ROFL
owned

MannyIsGod

And you use oned study by a likely partisan hack with a grudge to prove otherwise. Come back when you have something better than that.Go read the thread again, not only can you not read graphs you can't read. Chris Landsea never ran a study, and I used several studies by varius (and well respected scientists) in my posts. In addition, I actually READ the studies in order to gain an understanding Mr. Wiki Copy And Paste.

Nbadan
Before busting out big charts, you may want to learn to read them. That graph goes on into the current millenium. I don't know how good it is, but perhaps you could read it correctly at least?

I believe my charts cover the last 20 years more accurately.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I believe my charts cover the last 20 years more accurately.Well isn't that nice.

MannyIsGod
04-10-2006, 02:07 PM
ROFL
ownedIndeed, Dan is the king of owning people with incorrect and inaccurate information.

mookie2001
04-10-2006, 02:09 PM
thats exactly what whottt would say

xrayzebra
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Gee, could it be we are going into an ice age. Could it also be that man
hasn't got a blasted thing to do with Mother Nature, she does what
she wants to. Now isn't that interesting. Man is puny when it comes to
the earth as a whole. Now where are they going to get their money from?

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Go read the thread again, not only can you not read graphs you can't read. Chris Landsea never ran a study, and I used several studies by varius (and well respected scientists) in my posts. In addition, I actually READ the studies in order to gain an understanding Mr. Wiki Copy And Paste.

Then you should be very familiar with the issue, which begs to question why you have to rely on someone who obviously has a grudge with the rest of the scientific community involved with the study of global warming? Can't you find your own facts and make your own conclusions without the spin from Mr. Landsea?

MannyIsGod
04-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Then you should be very familiar with the issue, which begs to question why you have to rely on someone who obviously has a grudge with the rest of the scientific community involved with the study of global warming? Can't you find your own facts and make your own conclusions without the spin from Mr. Landsea?What the hell? You're being critical of ME for following SPIN and not making up my own conclusions?

Holy shit!!!

xrayzebra
04-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Then you should be very familiar with the issue, which begs to question why you have to rely on someone who obviously has a grudge with the rest of the scientific community involved with the study of global warming? Can't you find your own facts and make your own conclusions without the spin from Mr. Landsea?

It's okay Dan, blame the SUV's and second hand smoke. We will
understand. :lol

Nbadan
04-10-2006, 04:21 PM
What the hell? You're being critical of ME for following SPIN and not making up my own conclusions?

Holy shit!!!

I'm not trying to be critical, all I'm saying is that if you've got an alternative theory as to why the earth is obviously warming (on Vashner would deny this now), then show us your evidence in laymans terms so we don't have to dig through mountains of boring scientific articles to find your point. State your case.

spurster
04-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Fiddling while Rome burns.

scott
04-10-2006, 08:51 PM
http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

You are all fucking idiots. The evidence is right before your own eyes. The truth will set you free.

Guru of Nothing
04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
I want to be a pirate!

Links?

Spurminator
04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
We should ALL aspire to be pirates.

Save the Earth!

Guru of Nothing
04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
We should ALL aspire to be pirates.

Save the Earth!

Arrrrrrrrgggghh!!!!!

CubanMustGo
04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ya know, when every year brings record heat in the summer, warmer winters, escalating storms and hurricanes, it's just scary to think that people have their head in the sand re global warming. I'm in my mid-40s and there is no comparison between the winters we had when I was a kid in SA and what passes for winter now. OK, so maybe one person's experience in that timeframe is insignificant. My parents and grandparents relate similar stories during their lifetimes.

Cyclical change happens as a part of the normal cycle, but the RATE of change in the last 100-200 years is what is scary. The Inuit are terrified because the permafrost is going. They have oral traditions going back hundreds of years and this is something new. The northern icecap is shrinking at an alarming rate. Polar bears didn't just pop up in the last 300-400 years, ya know, and no polar icecap basically means no more polar bears. Glaciers are retreating at an accelerating rate. All this ice melting is absorbing excess heat from the atmosphere; what happens when there's not as much ice left to absorb it? Not to mention what happens to all the coastlines when all that ice on Greenland, Antartica, etc. melts.

Guru of Nothing
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Ya know, when every year brings record heat in the summer, warmer winters, escalating storms and hurricanes, it's just scary to think that people have their head in the sand re global warming.

While it is a given that the populace at large has their collective heads buried in the sand; that is not the problem tackling "global warming."

The problem lies within politically-minded folks dominating the conversation while awaiting for great minds to come to a consensus.

Yonivore
04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.venganza.org/piratesarecool4.jpg

You are all fucking idiots. The evidence is right before your own eyes. The truth will set you free.
I don't know where you get your data, there are way more than 17 pirates out there.

Now, if you're talking about the kind that have a peg leg, wear that funny black hat with the skull and cross-bones, and ocassionally have a parrot on their shoulder...you may be right.

xrayzebra
04-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Ya know, when every year brings record heat in the summer, warmer winters, escalating storms and hurricanes, it's just scary to think that people have their head in the sand re global warming. I'm in my mid-40s and there is no comparison between the winters we had when I was a kid in SA and what passes for winter now. OK, so maybe one person's experience in that timeframe is insignificant. My parents and grandparents relate similar stories during their lifetimes.

Cyclical change happens as a part of the normal cycle, but the RATE of change in the last 100-200 years is what is scary. The Inuit are terrified because the permafrost is going. They have oral traditions going back hundreds of years and this is something new. The northern icecap is shrinking at an alarming rate. Polar bears didn't just pop up in the last 300-400 years, ya know, and no polar icecap basically means no more polar bears. Glaciers are retreating at an accelerating rate. All this ice melting is absorbing excess heat from the atmosphere; what happens when there's not as much ice left to absorb it? Not to mention what happens to all the coastlines when all that ice on Greenland, Antartica, etc. melts.

Hate to burst you bubble, but I can remember when I was a kid and
running around with my cousins on Christmas day bare footed and without
a shirt on. Like summer time. Texas has always been Texas as long as
I can remember. The old saying, you don't like the weather in Texas, just
wait 10 mins. has always held true. A blue norther can drop temps in
a matter of mins as well as a strong wind off the Gulf will bring it up in
a matter of hours. One thing I can bet you, but couldn"t collect on, is that
none of us posting on this board now will be around to see if we were
right or wrong. Any takers? I have been pretty much all around this
old world, in different countries, in all the seasons and it is always the
same. People say I have never seen weather like this before. But
remember something, forecasters cant even tell you what it is going