PDA

View Full Version : Official We Got Outplayed But We're Still First In The West Thread

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Ok, the vets here know how this place gets on nights like this. AHF will probably call out Pop for something at some point tonight, Walton will call the team a joke, and we might even see a TPark wagon jump. There will be a thread on how Duncan is over the hill and is a horrible player, yada yada yada. Its the SOS. We go through this every years.

Don't worry though, because they'll all be back. Every single one of them.

The Spurs didn't look too good tonight. They couldn't stop Dirk and they couldn't score very easily. Dirk really dominated the second half of this game, and thats why the Spurs lost. The Mavs are a good team. Theres no shame in losing to them. None.

Don't tell me they lack heart and that they didn't hustle. Don't tell me that Pop is a horrible coach and doesn't know who to play when. Don't tell me that Parker can't shoot.

People do this every year they'll try to point at something this year that shows you that the Spurs aren't on the way to another River Parade. Its all BS. Been there, done that.

Don't sweat it. The Spurs are still going to finish with the best record in the West and the best record in the history of the franchise. Its not going to be a cakewalk in the playoffs, but the Mavs aren't going to be able to play this way every night in a 7 game series.

So chill. Make a drink. Relax. And get ready, because regardless of what some people will say, we all know what they said before and what happend.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
04-07-2006, 09:48 PM
Fire Manny!

Chris
04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Manny makes perfect sense. No reason to throw in the towel over a meaningless loss.

DDS4
04-07-2006, 09:54 PM
I feel the same way. I was more discouraged with the Kings loss more than this one. In that game, we had no defense or offense.

With the Mavs, the D was there....too bad we couldn't score we needed to.

Back-to-back home losses shouldn't be dismissed, however. The team is supposed to be clicking this late in the year.

dn0
04-07-2006, 09:54 PM
meaningless game?
This is a real warmup for the playoffs and we looked like shit.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 09:57 PM
meaningless game?
This is a real warmup for the playoffs and we looked like shit.And? The Spurs are going to look like shit during the playoffs at some point. Thats a given.

People here live and die with the Spurs. I know, I was downstairs yelling at the TV and bitching at the officials for all kinds of shit. I was pissed at Tim for passing to Oberto and I was pissed at Pop for leaving Oberto in too long.

But this team is built for a finals run yet again. There's no denying that. You can claim whatever you want about this game showing you who knows what in your crystal ball, but the fact remains that the we've been there before and we all know how its ended.

Its not an easy road to the trophy, and there are spots along the way where you don't look as good as you should. But for the most part the Spurs have looked solid over the past month.

greyforest
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
we beat mavs convincingly back a few weeks (when horry was about to munch on steakhouse)

now we have a team thats all sick and dying and shit, and we held them within 6. no fear!

mavsfan1000
Yeah this game was meaningless. Congrats to the spurs season.

ALVAREZ6
We are lucky that the Mavs lost 3 in a row last week because otherwise the Spurs would be the 4th seed, thread.

Pistons < Spurs
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Good post Manny.

At least a few people have some sense around here.

Honestly, it baffles me how many fair weather, bandwagon fans the Spurs have. It used to make me laugh to see all the fire PoP, trade Duncan, this team is too old, soft, no heart threads.

But now it's just sad.

yavozerb
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
No way this team is playing well enough to win the championship right now!! Everytime I see manu and tim they both limping down the court. Also if tony isn't hitting his jumper then he usually starts to press and becomes at turnover machine...We better keep hitting 3's because right now I am offically concerned!!

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
We are lucky that the Mavs lost 3 in a row last week because otherwise the Spurs would be the 4th seed, thread.And the Mavs are lucky Tim and Manu have been hurt all year and that the Spurs dropped games early in the year or yada fucking yada yada.

Every year, the same ole things are said.

It's like clockwork!

Rummpd
nice post, not jumping off the ship.

A month ago if we were told we had a one game lead with 7 to go and equal (if we beat Memphis) in first tie breaker and hold 2nd tie breaker most would be satisfied.

Props to Mavs. They played very good isolation basketball, pretty fair defense, and their superstar really stepped up big-time and great road win for them.

ColoradoSpursFan
The Spurs lacked clutch shots. maybe if Horry was playing - he would have hit some 3s or made more rebounds.

NVE had some clutch 3s. Nice to see that. Barry was scared to shoot.

Nowitzky played good and beat us....

We couldn't get stops and the lead was too much.

We still have a good record and team.

Even the Knicks won tonight.. Go figure...

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
Good post Manny.

At least a few people have some sense around here.

Honestly, it baffles me how many fair weather, bandwagon fans the Spurs have. It used to make me laugh to see all the fire PoP, trade Duncan, this team is too old, soft, no heart threads.

But now it's just sad.

It's almost like they act as if they've never won a title. Definitely strange...

clooneyschick04
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Good post Manny. :tu

yavozerb
04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
bad post manny!!!!

leemajors
04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
i wish van exel would spot up at the 3 point line all the time and never take transition 3s or try to drive in the lane. spurs play like poop, lose. it was impressive they stayed in the game shooting 38%.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
This was Dirk's game tonight. Far as I'm concerned, he should be first-team All-NBA.

Positives:
-A lot of Spurs can't play worse. Tim, Tony, Nazr hurt/bad. No Horry. Still it was close.
-NVE back to life
-Oberto contributed well
-Fin didn't shoot that well but had his moments
-Bruce played great defense on Dirk (somebody who doesn't understand will say he didn't)
-Offensive rebounding? Didn't know the Spurs were allowed to do that.

Negatives:
-Team defense overall terrible. Oberto just as bad as Nazr here.
-Offense still stagnant and too much forcing to Tim when it was obvious he didn't have it.
-Nothing from Barry.
-There is no way the Spurs are coming close to winning anything worthwhile in the postseason at this point.

bonesinaz
04-07-2006, 10:06 PM
You are right Manny, it is the same every year here.

The Spurs are in the playoffs that is all I care about.

dieman8686
04-07-2006, 10:10 PM
Good post I say niether side was flammed or put down. When we lost three in a row most of us real Mavs fan still kept up hope and we didn't flame our players because we knew their situation. The Spurs will turn out the same after the 2 streak loss...because I do see a lot of peeps here putting their players down and questioning them on just one loss...

dieman8686
04-07-2006, 10:11 PM
You are right Manny, it is the same every year here.

The Spurs are in the playoffs that is all I care about.
Same thought I had when the Mavs went on a three game losing streak. I was only upset that we might not break our MOst wins in a season record, but thats just aside..

Leetonidas
04-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Good post.

Like I said in another topic, when this team plays like they can, they're unstopable. The Spurs looked like they just didn't have it tonight. Tim needs to start bringing it, because the playoffs are right around the corner.

GrandeDavid
04-07-2006, 10:14 PM
I think the Spurs are understandably showing some age, but they are still good enough to make it to the Finals. If I add more comments I'll just be echoing the sentiments of the peanut gallery. Manny is right. That's the bottom line. The Spurs are still in a very good position with a favorable closing schedule as compared to the Mavs.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:14 PM
Hooray go Spurs Go thread!

carina_gino20
04-07-2006, 10:16 PM
:flag:

101A
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
The Mavs losing streak gave the Spurs coaching staff a gift;

Their two first playoff opponents on a dissecting table 2 weeks before the playoffs - both needing to win, and pulling out all the stops.

Anybody realize Spurs had Barry, NVE, Oberto, Finley, Nazr & Bowen in at 1 point?

You think that happens in the playoffs? You think Manu & Tony sit for the first FIVE minutes of a 4th quarter the Spurs are trailing in?

This game resembled a pre-season session more than a playoff game (other than Timmy's minutes; but Pop was probably just wanting to see how Avery would play him - Pop certainly didn't show his hand tonite on the adjustments which will be made to counter that). Remember the pre-season, the 1-8 preseason? People here wanted to jump ship then. Don't now!

It is hard to beat a good team twice in a row - nearly impossible to beat the champs. This WAS predictable; even before the week started.

Watch the Memphis game for some proof (that one matters). Spurs win big.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Good call on the lineup, I didn't even think about that.

Extra Stout
04-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Maybe in the playoffs Pop will play his best players rather than have four scrubs with Duncan in until 6:00 left in the fourth. He isn't going to rest guys in the playoffs right?

Until then, bottoms up! :drunk

yavozerb
04-07-2006, 10:38 PM
The Mavs losing streak gave the Spurs coaching staff a gift;

Their two first playoff opponents on a dissecting table 2 weeks before the playoffs - both needing to win, and pulling out all the stops.

Anybody realize Spurs had Barry, NVE, Oberto, Finley, Nazr & Bowen in at 1 point?

You think that happens in the playoffs? You think Manu & Tony sit for the first FIVE minutes of a 4th quarter the Spurs are trailing in?

This game resembled a pre-season session more than a playoff game (other than Timmy's minutes; but Pop was probably just wanting to see how Avery would play him - Pop certainly didn't show his hand tonite on the adjustments which will be made to counter that). Remember the pre-season, the 1-8 preseason? People here wanted to jump ship then. Don't now!

:smokin
Watch the Memphis game for some proof (that one matters). Spurs win big.

yavozerb
04-07-2006, 10:43 PM
People, do you not understand that he is not resting players for the playoffs!!The spurs starters were getting outplayed so being an effective coach, Pop was trying some combination that would work..Do you really think resting TD a couple of minutes is going to help his foot??

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 11:02 PM
SPAA. Spurs Peak After April. :)

spurschick
04-07-2006, 11:07 PM
It's very difficult to win a game when you're shooting 38% and you let the other team shoot 51%. It sucks to lose, but losing makes you hungrier. The Mavs had three tough losses recently. The Pistons lost to Orlando tonight. Shit happens.

Personally, I was thrilled with Fabricio tonight. Rob was out and Fabri stepped up on the boards. The box score doesn't tell the whole story either. Other players were credited with boards that Fabri had tipped to them. He set some great screens, but we just couldn't capitalize.

Despot
04-07-2006, 11:15 PM
SPAA. Spurs Peak After April. :)

We are not even close to peaking.....and if we are, we are in trouble.

What is the mindset of this club right now???

A. Pre-All Star Game
B. Post-All Star Game
C. First Round
D. Second Round
E. Conf. Finals
F. Finals

Sadly, I feel we are still classified as "A"
I really hope these two losses knock some urgency into them....

Neuromancer
04-07-2006, 11:16 PM
You guys do realize that Duncan travelled with the game on the line, right?

MannyIsGod
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
You guys do realize that Duncan travelled with the game on the line, right?Holy shit!!! That changes everything!

angel_luv
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
I know all the evidence is still coming but I really think the team is making progress and growing.

They lost tonight yes- but they weren't completely slaughtered.

We'll be aiight!

:cheer Go Spurs Go!

spurschick
04-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Holy shit!!! That changes everything!

:lmao

Neuromancer
04-07-2006, 11:29 PM
Holy shit!!! That changes everything!

The game was on the line against our highest ranked Western Conference Rival for Home Court Advantage.

smeagol
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Good post Manuel.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38074

I'm 2 for 3. :lol

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:23 AM
At some point you expect them to start playing their best ball this time of year. We can try to fool ourselves all we want but this team doesn't have what Spurs title teams past have had. There's no consistency, no killer instinct. What we are left with are coming up with excuses for poor back2back play as if the Spurs never had to play in a back2back prior to this season. What we are left with are empty excuses for a home loss to the primary conference rival 2 weeks before the end of the season.

Sure, we've been through this before. That's why it's not hard to say that there are major problems with this team heading into the postseason if they are supposed to repeat.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:52 AM
we might even see a TPark wagon jump

Unlike Sparky and others,

Im staying.

This team was "amazing" last week in wins against the Clippers, Lakers, WIzards,

and now all of a sudden they stink??

Give it a rest.

T-Pain
04-08-2006, 02:16 AM
we got outplayed, but were still first in the west

samikeyp
04-08-2006, 08:00 AM
SPAA. Spurs Peak After April.

:lol

SPIM
Spurs Peak In May! :p

Well said Manny.

SpursWoman
04-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Good call on the lineup, I didn't even think about that.

I did .... I was thinking that was probably the worst/strangest Spurs line-up I'd ever seen, and if that's the way it was going to be, no way were we winning that game.

Fortunately, that's not likely to happen again.

:fro

Samr
04-08-2006, 11:10 AM
I hate all this chicken little shit.

Ok, so the Spurs lost. We got outplayed when we were playing really well. But did anyone expect this to be easy? It's not going to be a cakewalk to the Finals and I don't want it to be, but then again, the whole silver and black world didn't come tumbling down last night, either.

Dallas has a harder scheduel than us for the remaining games, and if all we do is break even with them, then there's nothing to worry about.

But I don't want it to be easy for the Spurs. The title in 1999 was great because it was our first, but was it really as satisfying? I much prefer the one last year, down to the wire, in game 7. And I hope the same happens this year. I want to see the Spurs face the best, and I want to see them beat the best, but if they don't, then at least we aren't lying to ourselves.

Props to the Mavs for last night. But last night doesn't change the fact I think our season will end with a win.

The Spurs are a whole new beast come playoffs. We prove it in June.

boutons_
04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Mavs' loss was not "just one game" with me. It's a series of bad games, in March and April, against good teams, or against weak teams that manhandle us, and the head-case problem of B2B. The Spurs don't seem to fight back and manhandle anybody. They are getting outhustled and out-desired frequently in late season.

In the first week of April, the Spurs appear to be a LONG WAY from playoff ready, since I don't belive in the flicking of switches from mediocrity to Championship play.

We've been amazed at how well the Pistons have been playing in some very tough games. How many times have we been amazed this season by the Spurs play?

They aren't clicking, they aren't rolling, they aren't defending, they are depending way too much on 3Gs and jumpers (Spurs hit 10 of 20 3Gs vs Mavs and that's not enough to win a game @ATT?), losing RBs badly, and losing the paint frequently.

And Pop got outcoached. The Mavs clearly were focussing on shutting down the paint, blocking and stripping Tim and Tony. What was Pop's pre-game strategy and in-game tactics? "anybody need a blow?" Do Pop and Tim, with all their piled-up accomplishments and $$$, still have any fire in the belly? Any pride in the game? or is it just in-season don't-give-a-fuck cynicism waiting for the playoffs?

Fuck the overall record, fuck previous Spurs teams and all the excuses and pretexts spouting from them.

I'm only concerned about these Spurs and these upcoming playoffs and opponents.

Spoiled? Fuck no. When the Championship Spurs play like medocrities, get out-played repeatedly, WTF is wrong with expecting them to do better?
I never buy the argument that "roses smell pretty good compared to shit".

bonesinaz
04-08-2006, 12:19 PM
boutons-

I am afraid that if someone gave you roses, you would bitch because they had thorns.

boutons_
04-08-2006, 12:24 PM
"if someone gave you roses,"

.... I'd expect them to smell like roses. You got a problem with that?

bonesinaz
04-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Lighten up already.

You may live a longer life if you tried being a little bit more optimistic.;)

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Unlike Sparky and others,

Im staying.

This team was "amazing" last week in wins against the Clippers, Lakers, WIzards,

and now all of a sudden they stink??

Give it a rest.

Funny, I never said I was ceasing to be a fan, unlike someone else...

slayermin
04-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I think the Spurs are going to win the championship because of what Kenny Smith said during a TNT telecast this year. He said if you could monitor the level of intensity a team plays on a scale from 1 to 10, most good teams play at a 6 or 7 most nights. These teams will fluctuate between 6 and 9 but only raise their play when they play a superior opponent.

He said the Spurs always play at an 8 all regular season. They sometimes raise their play to a 9 or a 10 but they never fall below 8 which is good enough to beat most teams.

I think that is what is happening right now. They are playing at an 8 while Sactown and Dallas both played the Spurs at 9.

In the playoffs, the intensity goes up. If the Spurs play at a level 9, Dallas would have to play nearly perfect to beat them in a seven game series. My money is on San Antonio.

boutons_
04-08-2006, 05:04 PM
My money is on Tim's PF and whatever else could possibly hinder him.

spurschick
04-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Did anyone mention that it's the first time the Spurs have lost two B2B games at home since January 2004? That doesn't suck.

slayermin
04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
My money is on Tim's PF and whatever else could possibly hinder him.

Winning back to back championships isn't suppose to be easy. I say TD will up his thresh hold of pain in the playoffs. If you don't think he will, watch the Seattle series from last year.

Like I have said in the past, if the Spurs are the Titanic, I am going down with the ship.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 05:55 PM
Did anyone mention that it's the first time the Spurs have lost two B2B games at home since January 2004? That doesn't suck.

I was trying to think last night when the last time they lost 2 in a row at home was.

Sportman
04-08-2006, 06:10 PM
He said the Spurs always play at an 8 all regular season. They sometimes raise their play to a 9 or a 10 but they never fall below 8 which is good enough to beat most teams.

Spurs had two BAD GAMES against kings and lakers and they were below this level, i dont really remember if the last season this happened. I do have faith in this team but without a doubt this has not been the year of spurs, and when it happens in most of cases you dont have a happy final :depressed . Nevertheless i still think that there is no other teams which have such a three super stars as manu, tim and tony are, and that`s something in which you can believe.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2006, 08:11 PM
I think the Spurs are going to win the championship because of what Kenny Smith said during a TNT telecast this year. He said if you could monitor the level of intensity a team plays on a scale from 1 to 10, most good teams play at a 6 or 7 most nights. These teams will fluctuate between 6 and 9 but only raise their play when they play a superior opponent.

I think that is what is happening right now. They are playing at an 8 while Sactown and Dallas both played the Spurs at 9.

In the playoffs, the intensity goes up. If the Spurs play at a level 9, Dallas would have to play nearly perfect to beat them in a seven game series. My money is on San Antonio.

I'd go along with that sentiment.

I did see a lot of effort against Dallas, however. Timmy looked sluggish, and to that I'll credit the flu. But I thought the team played hard for the most part.

I think this team has been stuck at a 7 for most of the year personally.

T Park
04-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Tim did look sluggish, and I think Tony had "one of dem nights'

Ginobili looked OK, but missed an easy lay up near the end.

Not worried about this team what so ever.

MannyIsGod
04-09-2006, 01:43 AM
I'd go along with that sentiment.

I did see a lot of effort against Dallas, however. Timmy looked sluggish, and to that I'll credit the flu. But I thought the team played hard for the most part.

I think this team has been stuck at a 7 for most of the year personally.Yeah I saw a lot of effort too against Dallas. I don't understand how people question their intensity last night.

Either way, I'm really not worried one bit. Tim Duncan was huge last week and he's now had he stomach flu/food poisining. That stuff takes a LOT out of a person.

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 01:54 AM

That sounds like Bullshit. Duncan looked pretty devastated at the end of the game. I think the Spurs played at a 9 as did the mavs. The mavs just outplayed the spurs for this game.

leemajors
04-09-2006, 02:00 AM
level 9 does not include 38% shooting.

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 02:27 AM
It stands for the intensity and not the shooting percentage. Both teams were playing at 9 level intensity but the mavs shot better.

Fabbs
04-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Tim did look sluggish, and I think Tony had "one of dem nights'

Ginobili looked OK, but missed an easy lay up near the end.

Not worried about this team what so ever.

Wasn't an "easy" layup, but it was one a RESTED Gnob usually hits.
I'm guessing Pop will insist on playing all three on the final back to back coming up.
Stooopid.

MannyIsGod
04-09-2006, 01:03 PM
You compared Oberto to Bird. Your posts cary no weight, Fabbs. And don't call him Gnob, thats a stupid nickname.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-09-2006, 01:04 PM
:lol gnob

hahahahahahaha

slayermin
04-09-2006, 02:29 PM
That sounds like Bullshit. Duncan looked pretty devastated at the end of the game. I think the Spurs played at a 9 as did the mavs. The mavs just outplayed the spurs for this game.

TD wanted to win that game but devastated? The Mavs have never seen TD devastated in person.