PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Why the fuck can't the Spurs hold on to a big lead (2nd quarter up 11) for longer than a minute??????

This is one difference from last year's team and this year's. No killer instinct. No desire to bury a team and win the game in its early stages.

Coach Pop, I'm sorry, but try something different on Dirk.

What we know:
a. Tim and Bruce can't cover Dirk.
b. Doubling Dirk does not work.

But wait, someone did defend Dirk very well: Fabricio Oberto. Instead of having Oberto coming for a double team, leaving any Mav wide open, why not let him guard him to begin with.

Did you see how he played him that one possession?? He didn't fall for anything that Bruce and Tim did, not one of his pump fakes, he played him great.
Just something to consider, because if we aren't gonna stop Dirk, then we might as well not even win the first round of the playoffs.

This loss just fucking kills me. The Spurs ruined such great opportunities, the bench was dominating in the first half. NVE, Finley, dominating from behind the 3-point line..and Oberto with all the hustle, all his rebounds, offensive rebounds in particular...something the Spurs have been known to not get.
The Spurs will not have these luxuries every game, what we saw tonight was rather rare. How did we fuck it up?

Oh yeah, 1 more thing, for the 4584780th time, Nazr fucking Muhammed, just give up on sports, you cannot catch a fucking ball for your life. What good is it to pull down an offensive board if you aren't gonna put it back up???

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 09:56 PM
2 consecutive home losses for the Spurs...how many did they TOTAL in last year's regular season?

3?

None of that back to back bullshit excuses tonight, the Spurs should have dominated after that blowout by Mike Bibby & Co.

Big lead in the 2nd quarter, no killer instinct.

yay.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-07-2006, 09:58 PM
its just not our year

we will always be the champions that never repeated

leemajors
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
oberto is the only spur who played well.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
oberto is the only spur who played well.
Finley, NVE, Manu all played well.

Trifecta
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
2 consecutive home losses for the Spurs...how many did they TOTAL in last year's regular season?

3?

None of that back to back bullshit excuses tonight, the Spurs should have dominated after that blowout by Mike Bibby & Co.

yay.

No Killer instinct??? NO DUNCAN INSTINCT!!!!!

No inside presence!

The only inside presence we had was when the guards penetrated and kicked outside. Dallas' bigs challenged the SPURS inside quite a bit tonigt.

Also, TP forced the action quite a bit tonight!

Dallas executed down the stretch unlike the SPURS.

POPS here is a concept -- GO TO THE HOT HAND -- NVE.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
I just can't get over the fact that the Spurs have no desire to clamp down on their opponents when they are up by a nice margin. They did last season, and I miss it.

They get up, relax, and before a minute passes, the lead has fully diminished.

adrienne
04-07-2006, 10:03 PM
To the Spurs credit, it's not necessarily them losing the lead as much as the Mavs making it up. They've had a knack for playing well from behind this year, no matter the team.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:05 PM
To the Spurs credit, it's not necessarily them losing the lead as much as the Mavs making it up. They've had a knack for playing well from behind this year, no matter the team.
The Spurs were up 11 with about 6 minutes left (around that time).

They went on to score like 4 more points that half.

Lack of killer instinct.

Rummpd
04-07-2006, 10:08 PM
That was the game in reality. Good call.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Man, not only did the Spurs just lose, but this didn't help my fantasy team at all.

If my team wins this week, then I go to the championship, and Manu and Tim are destroying my FG%. Tim especially, he has been struggling on offense.

ColoradoSpursFan
04-07-2006, 10:19 PM
I said the same thing - Let Oberto guard Dirk...

Tim and company have been playing really weak lately. I get frustrated as hell.

The funny thing is - the Spurs will likely do well the rest of the season - likely still get HCA in the WCF. Dallas has a much harder schedule than the Spurs.

They are a worthy opponent and it showed tonight.

They have lost a handful in a row. Hopefully the Spurs can turn it around.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:23 PM
I said the same thing - Let Oberto guard Dirk...

I think that if we signed him just to guard Dirk for 1 playoff series, then it's worth it.

I don't know what others think, but Oberto is good at guarding perimeter-dominating big men, such as Dirk.

Footwork + not falling for multiple pumps + contested shot from 6'10" guy rather 6'6" bowen = :tu

Until Dirk starts posting people up down on the block, Oberto must cover Dirk.

SAGambler
04-07-2006, 10:24 PM
My main criticism from tonight relates to the coaching.

Why pull NVE when he is spot on, popping the net from 3 point land.

And why pull the guy after 6 minutes on the floor that is giving you all those offensive rebounds and tapping balls back out for second chances.

WalterBenitez
04-07-2006, 10:25 PM

I have a couple of ideas :nutkick:

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:26 PM
My main criticism from tonight relates to the coaching.

Why pull NVE when he is spot on, popping the net from 3 point land.

And why pull the guy after 6 minutes on the floor that is giving you all those offensive rebounds and tapping balls back out for second chances.
I wondered the same.

Current Pop is the opposite of last year Pop.

Last year, we had like an 8 man rotation, now Pop feels like he's gotta get the whole team in the game when guys are already playing well (Manu, Finley, NVE).

SAGambler
04-07-2006, 10:28 PM

Naw. The Spurs have done this shit all year. Build up a big lead, and then instead of putting the foot on the neck, they all relax, quit playing D, and let the other team back in the game. Look how many times a big lead has dissapated in the 4th quarter and the Spurs end up winning by 3 or 4 instead of 20.

emo serb
04-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Why the fuck can't the Spurs hold on to a big lead (2nd quarter up 11) for longer than a minute??????

This is one difference from last year's team and this year's. No killer instinct. No desire to bury a team and win the game in its early stages.

What we know:

But wait, someone did defend Dirk very well: Fabricio Oberto. Instead of having Oberto coming for a double team, leaving any Mav wide open, why not let him guard him to begin with.

Did you see how he played him that one possession?? He didn't fall for anything that Bruce and Tim did, not one of his pump fakes, he played him great.
Just something to consider, because if we aren't gonna stop Dirk, then we might as well not even win the first round of the playoffs.

This loss just fucking kills me. The Spurs ruined such great opportunities, the bench was dominating in the first half. NVE, Finley, dominating from behind the 3-point line..and Oberto with all the hustle, all his rebounds, offensive rebounds in particular...something the Spurs have been known to not get.
The Spurs will not have these luxuries every game, what we saw tonight was rather rare. How did we fuck it up?

Oh yeah, 1 more thing, for the 4584780th time, Nazr fucking Muhammed, just give up on sports, you cannot catch a fucking ball for your life. What good is it to pull down an offensive board if you aren't gonna put it back up???
Your mother would not approve of your foul language.

Trifecta
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
I wondered the same.

Current Pop is the opposite of last year Pop.

Last year, we had like an 8 man rotation, now Pop feels like he's gotta get the whole team in the game when guys are already playing well (Manu, Finley, NVE).

Also to POPS misfortune, why is TD rotating to double Dirk on the perimeter leaving TP to rotate to cover Diop under the basket?

If Dirk is going to beat you let him beat you jacking up 3's -- if he hits them, tough for the SPURS. However, don't let him drive to the basket or he will draw the foul and kill you from the FT line.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Your mother would not approve of your foul language.
you obviously don't know my mother.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:31 PM
Naw. The Spurs have done this shit all year. Build up a big lead, and then instead of putting the foot on the neck, they all relax, quit playing D, and let the other team back in the game. Look how many times a big lead has dissapated in the 4th quarter and the Spurs end up winning by 3 or 4 instead of 20.
:tu

Extra Stout
Who cares? The Spurs hav ethree banners and the fourth is just gravy. I feel totally numb right now :drunk and my cats are really cool.

Malbec is awesome. So are margaritas. Go Argentina! Go Mexico!

ALVAREZ6
Also to POPS misfortune, why is TD rotating to double Dirk on the perimeter leaving TP to rotate to cover Diop under the basket?

If Dirk is going to beat you let him beat you jacking up 3's -- if he hits them, tough for the SPURS. However, don't let him drive to the basket or he will draw the foul and kill you from the FT line.
Mom has been pretty dumb lately.

I have been questioning all of his BS.

emo serb
04-07-2006, 10:33 PM
you obviously don't know my mother.
your mom...oh told.

101A
04-07-2006, 10:34 PM

3?

yay.

But then the Spurs lost more than that in the playoffs at home. Why do you think that is?

BECAUSE the game is different in the playoffs.

This season, more than any other, has been played focussed on the final prize;

This will be the best Spurs playoff team since '99; and that one, I believe was simply hot at the right time; this one will dominate by DESIGN forged over 82 games.

ColoradoSpursFan
04-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Is this CIA Pop at his best?

You know that there will be adjustments in the playoffs. I think we just played bad - there were some positive aspects.

No injuries - NVE playing decent - Oberto showing some promise -

The negatives - Duncan playing soft and not hustling for rebounds - Parkers shot was off for the most part - Interior D was sporadic.

Free throw shooting was poor.

The only thing that kept us in the game was the 3 point shots.

There were a ton of bad calls with manu and others getting fouled.

Good game - I knew Dallas was going to be a great opponent.

They showed up and wanted it more than us.

A real fan will not dis the Spurs - it is a learning experience.

I think Pop showed lack of sound judgement in some of his substitutions.

This game could likely be one that changes the dynamics of the HCA if the SPurs can't get their shit together and dominate the rest of the way and stop being so soft.

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2006, 10:37 PM
But then the Spurs lost more than that in the playoffs at home. Why do you think that is?

BECAUSE the game is different in the playoffs.

This season, more than any other, has been played focussed on the final prize;

This will be the best Spurs playoff team since '99; and that one, I believe was simply hot at the right time; this one will dominate by DESIGN forged over 82 games.
I have to disagree.

Last year's play-off team was crazy.

Tim didn't have his planar fascitiis shit, Manu equaled SuperManu, Rob was monster.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-07-2006, 10:48 PM
Naw. The Spurs have done this shit all year. Build up a big lead, and then instead of putting the foot on the neck, they all relax, quit playing D, and let the other team back in the game. Look how many times a big lead has dissapated in the 4th quarter and the Spurs end up winning by 3 or 4 instead of 20. Are you kidding? that's their mantra. They have a history of putting pressure then, having a change of heart on their opponent and letting them come back in playoff series, in games, etc....Manu and Horry solved that problem when they came in to help after 2002 because they're killers.

As far as tonight's game, If it weren't for Manu's key plays down the stretch in the final quarter our 38 % shooting tonight wouldn't have had us in at a close game .

Half the team will kill you. Half of them need their head checked. *Manu, NVE, Finley were studs tonight), the rest duds when it counted.

dieman8686
04-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Read Manny's thread....

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 10:54 PM

That's the Spurs biggest problem this season, IMO. They're not good at playing well from behind this year...especially against good teams. Last year they were.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm not saying it'll stop them from winning. I'm just saying Spurs aren't the kind of team that'll go 16-0, 15-1 with their recent history. They always drop the ball, (Pop admitted that complacency last year) to get that wake up call. That's their mental make-up in the playoffs. They're all winners, they've proven it. Just not in every game.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-07-2006, 10:57 PM
That's the Spurs biggest problem this season, IMO. They're not good at playing well from behind this year...especially against good teams. Last year they were.
The only time they came back from behind was agains the Pacers and that was cuz of Manu's clutch plays and no turnovers. They dropped the ball against Seattle where they should have won. They dropped the ball here, when they could have won. So it's just a mental error they need to correct. They're capable they just have to correct the mistakes this year. Maybe we have too many options or something, that pop needs to narrow it down to the key guys, in the playoffs.

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 11:01 PM
^Yep, that Pacers game is the only one that comes to mind. There have been games where the Spurs have kept it close and won it in the end with some clutch shooting or defense...like the last Miami Heat game, but it just doesn't seem like they play well comming from behind.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2006, 12:08 AM

What we know:

Dude the Duncan-Spurs have historically given up big leads since Day 1. And I don't consider 11 points a big lead. And I did not see any more killer instinct last year than this year.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 12:10 AM

Umm Oberto guarded him for one possession (maybe two). He wasn't a good matchup for Dirk either. Bowen did a really good job on Dirk in the first half. He just got hot in the second half and that happens when you are dealing with an MVP caliber player.

BillsCarnage
04-08-2006, 12:11 AM

I said before the season started that apathy would be their biggest opponent. You all scoffed and laughed at it, but as good as the Spurs are they seem to be the most apathetic team in the league.

Maybe these two loses will humble them with a good kick in the ass for a run in the PO's.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Umm Oberto guarded him for one possession (maybe two). He wasn't a good matchup for Dirk either. Bowen did a really good job on Dirk in the first half. He just got hot in the second half and that happens when you are dealing with an MVP caliber player.

He's argentinian.

Trifecta
04-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I said before the season started that apathy would be their biggest opponent. You all scoffed and laughed at it, but as good as the Spurs are they seem to be the most apathetic team in the league.

Maybe these two loses will humble them with a good kick in the ass for a run in the PO's.

A man once said: "We Have Met The Enemy and He Is Us"

This sums up the SPURS attitude this season at times!

They have been victimized by their lack of focus and mental toughness at times during the season.

ducks
04-08-2006, 12:26 AM
first time since july of 2003 the last 2 times in a row at home

polandprzem
04-08-2006, 12:33 AM
Spurs right now have absolutely no D.
51.4% from the field by the Mavs? In April? Just before the playoffs? Second staright at AT&T?
WE might now start to worry. Where is TPark with his excuses now? I wonder what brings up.
Spurs tired?
Too hot at AT&T?
Spurs deosn't care in regular season?

What it will be TPark?

You know what - it is scary cause I never thought the spurs will drop 2 in a row at theoir own building and in such an important game where you must make a statment. Spurs showed no D and no O. I'm worried cause in that kind of shape they will fall in the second round.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2006, 09:05 AM

I know Oberto only guarded him for 1 or 2 possessions, but he played him perfectly in the ones he did. Why not keep throwing him at him???

Bowen, Duncan, and double teams all failed.

He's argentinian.
That's bullshit.

It has nothing to do with that.

Sportman
04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
All people are saying the same, why didnt oberto keep guarding dirk??...As some people say here, he just did it one or two times, but who cares?...when he did it, he did an excellent job. Besides oberto didnt have anything to lose, i think pop could give him some chance. Nevertheless, spurs lost because of third and fourth quarter, where they played badly, TIM and TONy were vanished, manu and finley played well but this team need all this guy for winning games.
I dont like what i have been watching of spurs during all this season. Despite this team has a great record, they have not been playing so consistently as usual. TIM has been very frustrated and that`s not something good for spurs, DEFINITLY, he is the MVP of this team and he must show the path to his teammates.

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 10:49 PM
This may be the year that the poor FT shooting and costly turnovers come back to haunt the Spurs in the playoffs. When a team struggles offensively, they MUST resorts to

A. Easy transition baskets
B. Converting a large percentage of FTs
C. Maximizing their number of possessions (offensive rebounds and/or taking care of the ball by minimizing turnovers)

Despite their conference-leading won/loss record, the Spurs are poor in each of these areas. Admittedly, so.

These are areas that can keep a team in a game, when they're struggling offensively. It is troubling to see a veteran team turn the ball over as much as the Spurs do.

I'm sincerely hope they'll be able to overcome woes prior to and during the playoffs.

LilMissSPURfect
04-10-2006, 12:25 AM

What we know:

NO KILLER INSTINCT...sorry that's been the SPURS story since forever...We'll be alright...

LilMissSPURfect
04-10-2006, 12:43 AM
CIA POP....is all part of the STRATEGIC PLAN!