PDA

View Full Version : Big Props to the Mavericks

Kori Ellis
04-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Dirk struggled in the first half and Josh Howard stepped and scored at will. Then Dirk came up very big late. The Mavs did a great job dealing with all the Spurs switches on D. AJ coached very well, exploiting the mismatches when he could.

Tony and Tim, obviously, had very off nights.

My only positive from the Spurs' effort was that both Finley and NVE showed balls and knocked down big shots.

It's going to be a good second round matchup.

spurschick
04-07-2006, 11:10 PM
And how was that locker room? :lol

Neuromancer
I find it very encouraging that NVE and Finley managed to sink threes against a Mavericks Defense that collapsed on the Big Three. I also loved Duncan's decision making at the end of the game, when he decided to use the ball himself, instead of dishing to Oberto.

1Parker1
^:lol Couldn't be as bad as the forum after a loss.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2006, 11:11 PM
And how was that locker room? :lol

It wasn't as bad as I expected. Tim, Bowen, Fin and Pop did the talking. Obviously everyone was disappointed.

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 11:12 PM
^Can you tell us some of their post-game quotes?

Trifecta
04-07-2006, 11:14 PM
I am glad the SPURS competed tonight!!!

I have said before, if they lose a game after competing, I can live with that....(barely).

I am ready to get on with Memphis now!

timvp
04-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Van X showed tonight why he's on the team. He's going to win a playoff game or two if he can stay healthy.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
04-07-2006, 11:17 PM
this loss wasn't as bad as the kings loss.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Do you have any pictures of TP in his underwear?

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Did anyone ask Pop why the fuck he thought Duncan could guard Dirk for the last six minutes of the game?

Neuromancer
04-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Did anyone ask Pop why the fuck he thought Duncan could guard Dirk for the last six minutes of the game?

especially when AJ isolated him every fucking play

why is it always so easy for us to see these things but not for him

JMarkJohns
04-07-2006, 11:24 PM

Memories of yesteryear?

I wondered this as well, though Bowen wasn't doing much better.

timvp
04-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Who was supposed to guard Dirk? Dirk murdered Bowen in the third. Duncan versus Dirk was decent.

In the playoffs, that's where Horry comes in handy.

:smokin

smeagol
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Props to the Mavs :clap .

Kori Ellis
04-07-2006, 11:26 PM
^Can you tell us some of their post-game quotes?

I have the audio on my recorder but I haven't uploaded it yet. It should be up on spurs.com soon.

It was just the basics ... Bowen said that sometimes you have bad nights offensively and you can't control the ball not going in the basket, but you can control the defense and that's where they made mistakes. Pop kind of said the opposite. He said that holding the Mavs to 92 was good defense for the most part, but that they just didn't do enough offensively. Tim talked about how important the upcoming division games are against Memphis and Houston.

Nothing that exciting was said.

smeagol
04-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Is Manu's ankle injured or just a twist?

spurschick
Who was supposed to guard Dirk?

I say "free the kiwi" and let Marks go all crazy Daffy Duck style. :drunk

Kori Ellis
Memories of yesteryear?

I wondered this as well, though Bowen wasn't doing much better.

Bowen actually did a great job on Dirk in the first half. But the 3rd quarter all hell broke loose.

Despot
04-07-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm man enough to congratulate the Mavs..but I'll wait until I'm less angry to do it.

Kori Ellis
Is Manu's ankle injured or just a twist?

No one even brought it up. I assume it was just a twist.

ShoogarBear
Dirk was hitting great shots. There was nothing really wrong with Bruce's defense on him. Bruce was making him work; but when a great offensive player is on, there is no defense.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Duncan versus Dirk was decent.

WTF LJ? We lost by 6 and Dirk had 7 in a row on Tim...

At least Bowen made him work, he just laughed in Tim's face while swishing mid-range jumper after mid-range jumper.

timvp
04-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Basically, AJ won the game with the plays he called. He was one step ahead of Pop the whole game. AJ was guessing right about where the doubles would come from and have the play designed to beat it.

AJ won the game.

However, this Spurs teams in the playoffs will be different.

timvp
04-07-2006, 11:31 PM
WTF LJ? We lost by 6 and Dirk had 7 in a row on Tim...

Duncan was staying with him for the most part. When Dirk gets going, you can't really stop him. He's the best jump shooter in the game and showed it tonight. Duncan, and Bowen for that matter, where all over him.

Not much you can do when you have a 7-foot-5 sharp shooter hitting everything.

Leetonidas
04-07-2006, 11:32 PM
However, this Spurs teams in the playoffs will be different.

I told my girlfriend I should stop watching the games until the playoffs start so I don't have to go into a tirade again. :lol

But you're right, Pop knows he can exploit Avery's new coaching in the playoffs. I really don't think cares about HCA anymore, because he knows we can win on Dallas' floor and he's just throwing shitty plays to mess with Avery. Who knows. I know he did it on purpose versus SAC, I'm not too sure about tonight.

Van Exel came up big though. Hopefully he can do this in the playoffs.

Leetonidas
04-07-2006, 11:34 PM
Duncan was staying with him for the most part. When Dirk gets going, you can't really stop him. He's the best jump shooter in the game and showed it tonight. Duncan, and Bowen for that matter, where all over him.

7-foot-5? :wtf

spurschick
04-07-2006, 11:34 PM
I know that Van Exel came through tonight, but I haven't been able to get in his corner yet and I don't really know why. Somebody help me out.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Imagine Nick with a really long nose . . .

spurschick
04-07-2006, 11:38 PM

:lmao That was awesome!

GoSpurs21
04-07-2006, 11:40 PM
hats off to mavs for gutty performance
fuck off to mouse for predicting it
bruce bowen just pissed away the DPOY award cause he didnt guard anyone (especially Dirk) for shit...Bowen is overrated this year

1Parker1
04-07-2006, 11:40 PM

:lmao And a Spanish accent.

Kori Ellis
04-07-2006, 11:44 PM
bruce bowen just pissed away the DPOY award cause he didnt guard anyone (especially Dirk) for shit...Bowen is overrated this year

:lmao

He did an awesome job in the first half. Dirk got off in the 3rd quarter, but part of that time, they had switched Bowen to Josh Howard. In the 4th, Bowen was barely on Dirk.

This performance isn't going to have any effect on his DPOY award. No one expects a 6'6 Bowen to shut down a 7' Dirk night in and night out.

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
:lmao That was awesome!
Every once is a while inspiration strikes.

Who/what is "ss&e"?

Trifecta
04-07-2006, 11:45 PM
I know that Van Exel came through tonight, but I haven't been able to get in his corner yet and I don't really know why. Somebody help me out.

It appeared the SPURS needed to rely on their outside threat tonight as the MAVS clogged the lane, challenged our bigs, contested shots!

I am not a big NVE fan, but I would say "don't bite the hand that is feeding you" (NVE, FINS). In this particular game, I would rely on NVE shooting outside than Parker (who forced the action tonigt).

The MAVS relied on their bread and butter (Dirk) who came through tonight!

I would have stayed with Bowen on Dirk to deny him the ball and stay in his grille instead of allowing Dirk to drive on Duncan or pull up!

Our offense down the stretch was puzzling with players driving, leaving their feet, and launching a bail out pass to an (hopeful) open player! At times it looked like the Spurs were playing "hot potato" making point blank passes to players next to them who were questionably open.

I need to go to bed to put this loss behind me and get reday to get amped up for Memphis!

Again, they competed -- like I said, I can live with this loss tonight!

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:47 PM
In the game blog, I predicted some one would say something like this. Did you even watch the game?

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:48 PM
This performance isn't going to have any effect on his DPOY award. No one expects a 6'6 Bowen to shut down a 7' Dirk night in and night out.
7' 5.75"

timvp
04-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Hell, lets round to to 7'6 :smokin

ShoogarBear
04-07-2006, 11:49 PM
He's the new Shawn Bradley.

spurschick
04-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Every once is a while inspiration strikes.

Who/what is "ss&e"?

Spurs Sports & Entertainment

Das Texan
04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
When Dirk gets that little fade away jumper working, you cant stop him, no matter who you are.

We did a bad job offensively last night, there were just way too many bad decisions and of course shots werent falling.

Defensively, we were just mediocore, there were too many breakdowns at one point or the other.

Marks should have seen some floor time when we were stuggling to put the ball in the hoop.

LEONARD
04-08-2006, 11:45 AM
Heck of a game...

Still some missing / banged up players for each team. Whoever is more healthy in the playoffs will probably advance. Seems like the Mavs are more on track to get healthy with Harris and Griffin coming back in the next couple games. I'm a little worried about Howard. He was grabbing at his hamstring some during the Kings game, and he got a little banged up last night. The Mavs can't win a series without him. Duncan...probably won't be 100% at any point, but he's been that way most of the year. How well Harris can play after being out so long will be huge for the Mavs.

Can't wait for the 2nd round :smokin

6-11 to 7'...not 7-5 ;-)

But you're right...when Dirk is on, he can shoot over anybody, he makes shots even when he's fouled on a jumpshot, and he hits really off-balance shots to avoid people. He's fun to watch...

ponky
04-08-2006, 12:03 PM
So this is where all the nice Spurs fans are in this forum! J/K, at least you guys/gals haven't bailed on your team and see the game for what it is, one game. I can't believe some of the threads going on and on about how much this or that Spurs player sucks just because of a two-game skid. There are 30 teams, one gets the championship, it doesn't mean every other team sucks. If that was the case then why even bother tuning in to the games? Anyway, last night's game was very exciting until the last 2-3 minutes and it wouldn't have been if both teams didn't play hard. *Bof' teams played hard* - Rasheed

SpursWoman
04-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled, plain & simple. They take for granted that the franchise has been successful for so long and expect them to go 98-0 every season. They'll get over it.

Good job, Mavs. :tu

boutons_
04-08-2006, 12:08 PM
"Spurs fans are spoiled"

Some are, many aren't. WTF is wrong expecting some excellent, convincing play from exactly the same team that won the Championship last June.

smeagol
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
"Spurs fans are spoiled"

Some are, many aren't. WTF is wrong expecting some excellent, convincing play from exactly the same team that won the Championship last June.
You are spoiled.

That's for sure.

1Parker1
04-08-2006, 12:26 PM

Do you remember last season?? Spurs weren't even close to playing "excellent, convincing" games at this time. Yea, they won those great back to back OT thrillers, but other than that, they were struggling mightiliy without Duncan, They even lost to the Wolves, got blown out by the Mavs by 40 points or something, and lost to the Knicks and Pacers. Not to mention they struggled putting away the Seattle Sonics in the second round.

I'd say they're playing at the same level at this time that they were last year at this point.

T Park
04-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Van X showed tonight why he's on the team. He's going to win a playoff game or two if he can stay healthy.

But but but but

Van exel is worthless I thought??

Last night proved what he will do in the playoffs.

Hit big shots, and be excellent overall.

Hell, he prob should've finished the game instead of Parker.

Still waiting for Aggie to explain who he would've had guard.

WTF is wrong expecting some excellent, convincing play from exactly the same team that won the Championship last June.

That wasn't the exact team that played last june.

No Robert Horry testicle breath.

spurster
04-08-2006, 01:41 PM
This was a statement game, and the statement is that now the Mavs are better. If this Spurs team can't get up for a top opponent on their home court to allow them to basically rest the last 6 games, what else do they need? I think the Spurs really don't fear the Mavs yet.

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Exactly. This close to the end of the season any game like this is a real warmup for the postseason. Taking such a game lightly doesn't speak well of this team's readiness for the playoffs. Man, it's like the team started to believe all of the crap at the start of the season about how great they were.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:48 PM
So the game a couple weeks ago where the Spurs totally dominated them with Horry there means nothing now, because , well, you armchair quarterbacks say so.

:lol

LEONARD
04-08-2006, 02:29 PM
So the game a couple weeks ago where the Spurs totally dominated them with Horry there means nothing now, because , well, you armchair quarterbacks say so.

So you're saying that Horry being gone is the excuse for losing last night??

Yet a Mavs fan that so much as hinted at the Mavs struggles the past 5 weeks being due to having up to 4 players (including 2 starters) out was getting thrashed around here...

ponky
04-08-2006, 02:37 PM

Yet a Mavs fan that so much as hinted at the Mavs struggles the past 5 weeks being due to having up to 4 players (including 2 starters) was getting thrashed around here...

Haha, he must have been listening to Tom Tolbert's stupid comment about Horry. Funny because it was all about Bowen defending Dirk and how Dirk chokes in the big games. Now it's not Bowen but Horry that the Spurs needed...keep pulling for excuses. I'm not here to bash the Spurs but when fans come up with stupid excuses it's annoying. I hate it when fans blame officiating/injuries for losses...all teams go through it, deal!

mavsfan1000
04-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Exactly. This close to the end of the season any game like this is a real warmup for the postseason. Taking such a game lightly doesn't speak well of this team's readiness for the playoffs. Man, it's like the team started to believe all of the crap at the start of the season about how great they were.
So since the spurs lost they took the mavs lightly? :wtf The mavs were just on fire and played some inspired basketball. When they play like that they are almost impossible to beat.

T Park
04-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Haha, he must have been listening to Tom Tolbert's stupid comment about Horry. Funny because it was all about Bowen defending Dirk and how Dirk chokes in the big games. Now it's not Bowen but Horry that the Spurs needed...keep pulling for excuses. I'm not here to bash the Spurs but when fans come up with stupid excuses it's annoying. I hate it when fans blame officiating/injuries for losses...all teams go through it, deal!

So your saying,

Horry leaving at the last minute, had no effect on the team??

You get the fuck over it.

Facts is facts.

Horry a guy that will guard Nowitzki, allowing Duncan to guard the rim.

Sorry that FACTS get in your way.

SAGambler
04-08-2006, 03:18 PM

Yet a Mavs fan that so much as hinted at the Mavs struggles the past 5 weeks being due to having up to 4 players (including 2 starters) out was getting thrashed around here...

I don't think anyone is using Horrys absence as an excuse. Simply pointing out some of the things that Big Shot Bob brings to the court.

Would the Spurs have won if he played? Who knows. It's simply a "what if" game that gets played all the time.

Bottom line is....Mavs played a better game than the Spurs did last night. They overcame the outrebounding and assists deficits by shooting a better FG% and won.

The question still remains can they do it 4 times in a seven game series.

mavsfan1000
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Oberto played very well in place of Horry. You get the fuck over it.

LEONARD
04-08-2006, 03:50 PM
So your saying,

Horry leaving at the last minute, had no effect on the team??

You get the fuck over it.

Facts is facts.

Horry a guy that will guard Nowitzki, allowing Duncan to guard the rim.

Sorry that FACTS get in your way.

And it's a FACT that the Mavs have been severely depleted the last 5 weeks, missing 2 starters, even starting a CBA player for 7 or 8 games, but that was an "excuse"...right?

Sorry that FACTS get in your way... :blah

leemajors
04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
spurs got outplayed and lost. horry could have made a huge difference in the 3rd and 4th quarters, but he wasn't there so it's pointless to talk about it. it was nice to see them hustle and at least put out an effort and keep it close, but the shots just weren't falling at the right moments. next game

v2000
04-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Tony and Tim, obviously, had very off nights.
yea, some props. Diop defended Timmy VERY well, and their zone defense kept Parker out of the lane. The only time Parker was really able to penetrate was on the fast break. They had a VERY good defensive answer for him.

ponky
04-08-2006, 06:09 PM
I don't think anyone is using Horrys absence as an excuse. Simply pointing out some of the things that Big Shot Bob brings to the court.

Would the Spurs have won if he played? Who knows. It's simply a "what if" game that gets played all the time.

Bottom line is....Mavs played a better game than the Spurs did last night. They overcame the outrebounding and assists deficits by shooting a better FG% and won.

The question still remains can they do it 4 times in a seven game series.

At least you got my point. There are so many "what ifs" that you can only go by what happened last night with the guys on the court. Had Tony Parker been his usual self (what is his deal these last two games?) then we could've been doing the *what if* with Devin Harris. And for the dude who originally responded to me, GOI, Horry averages less than 19 minutes per game and all that extra weight he put on wouldn't have helped him guard Dirk. He would've helped but he certainly wasn't your X factor, otherwise there would've been all these threads about him BEFORE the game.

ponky
04-08-2006, 06:17 PM
And it's a FACT that the Mavs have been severely depleted the last 5 weeks, missing 2 starters, even starting a CBA player for 7 or 8 games, but that was an "excuse"...right?

Sorry that FACTS get in your way... :blah

but those 2 starters still out don't have the name that a ROBERT HORRY brings to the table...although it would've been SWeeT to see devin play against parker

JohnMcClane
04-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I am a Mavs fan and while I do think it was crappy of Tolbert to bring up Horry at the end of the game and act like Dirk wouldn't have scored if Horry wasn't there. He might even be right but I didn't like him saying it then. It made Tolbert sound really biased and like he was disrespecting Dirk.

But having said all that.. I think beating the Spurs without Horry is like beating the Pistons without Rasheed. Maybe even more significant than the Pistons without Sheed. Horry will do absolutely anything to win... especailly guarding a white guy like Dirk. Horry seems to get really chippy when playing Dirk.. Horry plays extremely dirty in general. But when it is against Dirk it goes to a different level.. and he plays like he is 10 years younger. But I think Horry would kill Dirk before he let a white guy beat them in the playoffs. It may sound strange.. but in my experience watching Horry over the years that is what I expect to happen if we meet in the playoffs.

SpursWoman
04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I'd say ask a Piston fan what Horry's name brings to the table ... but I'm not that mean. :angel :lol

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I think beating the Spurs without Horry is like beating the Pistons without Rasheed.
Omg Horry is not even close to the spurs what Rasheed is the Pistons. Wow is Horry getting overrated. He is a solid bench player but he is not in Rasheed's league.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Omg Horry is not even close to the spurs what Rasheed is the Pistons. Wow is Horry getting overrated. He is a solid bench player but he is not in Rasheed's league.i guess rings that span between both hands doesn't meet up to "rasheed's league"

leemajors
04-09-2006, 12:34 AM
if you're up three on the spurs with less than 10 seconds left who are you gonna make sure not to leave?

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Rasheed>>>Horry anyday of the week. A couple clutch shots does not make Horry the player Rasheed is. Rasheed is a better defender, better post player, and a better rebounder.

leemajors
04-09-2006, 01:23 AM
i wasn't saying that horry is a better player overall. i was saying that horry is far more dangerous at the end of a game. it isn't just a couple clutch shots either, he makes all sorts of clutch plays, defensively and offensively. any day of the week sheed is a better player, but horry is way better in the last 5 mins of a game.

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 01:29 AM
Rasheed makes clutch shots as well. I've seen him hit those. Horry gets forgotten on defense and he makes teams pay for it. Rasheed does the same thing if you forget about him.

dieman8686
04-09-2006, 01:39 AM
This is my "what if":Fact is, that Oberto having the great game he played, keeping SA in the game in the first half wouldn't have been there if Horry was to play. Spurs fans act like Horry has saved them from every single game, that he means so much! For those saying that Horry would have owned or guarded better Dirk, what happened to Bowen? I thought he was the one who owned Dirk...

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Dirk never gets shut down by Horry. It was Bowen that did it before. Duncan is even worse on guarding Dirk. For being rated as such a good defender Duncan sure has problems with Dirk.

leemajors
04-09-2006, 01:56 AM
Dirk never gets shut down by Horry. It was Bowen that did it before. Duncan is even worse on guarding Dirk. For being rated as such a good defender Duncan sure has problems with Dirk.

your last sentence is asinine. duncan is a great defender, but he is out of place on the perimeter, and he has little to none of the lateral movement/quickness he did before getting pf. dirk can shoot over anyone, you surely know that.

dieman8686
04-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Dirk never gets shut down by Horry. It was Bowen that did it before. Duncan is even worse on guarding Dirk. For being rated as such a good defender Duncan sure has problems with Dirk. Yeah, Dirk just passes him like a Pg on a center...(Timmy's injury may be included, but thats what Dirk does to every Legit PF put on him, thats why they put smaller defenders on him)

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 02:14 AM
your last sentence is asinine. duncan is a great defender, but he is out of place on the perimeter, and he has little to none of the lateral movement/quickness he did before getting pf. dirk can shoot over anyone, you surely know that.
Yeah if he isn't forced on the perimeter. I think he is a better help defender than an individual defender. I've seen Rasheed post him up as well so he gets beat both ways.

JohnMcClane
04-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I said Horry was comparable to Sheed becauseI think Horry is more of a winner than Sheed. I have found Sheed to be kind of a choker a lot of the times. Take the series where the Mavs played the Blazers when Dirk dropped 46 points on Sheed one game. Like I said.. Horry would probably kill Dirk or break on of his limbs before he let Dirk do that. In the playoffs.. or when he feels like it.. Horry is a near psychotic winner. And he will do anything to win.

I think if you swapped Horry and Van Horn, that would be the difference between the Mavs and Spurs. The Mavs would definitely win the playoff series IMO.

samikeyp
04-09-2006, 09:06 AM
I think if you swapped Horry and Van Horn, that would be the difference between the Mavs and Spurs. The Mavs would definitely win the playoff series IMO.

I would agree....Van Horn is a waste of skin, IMO. I remember when people were saying he was better than Duncan when they came out of college. :lol

mavsfan1000
04-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I said Horry was comparable to Sheed becauseI think Horry is more of a winner than Sheed. I have found Sheed to be kind of a choker a lot of the times. Take the series where the Mavs played the Blazers when Dirk dropped 46 points on Sheed one game. Like I said.. Horry would probably kill Dirk or break on of his limbs before he let Dirk do that. In the playoffs.. or when he feels like it.. Horry is a near psychotic winner. And he will do anything to win.

You should change your first sentence by saying I am a spurs fan. Stop giving Horry so much credit.

JHoLove
04-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your props. It was a very close, exciting game. I can't wait for the playoffs.

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I've been away from the forum for a couple of days. I traveled to S.A. to attend the Spurs/Mavs game. Now that my anger has subsided, I have to give my props to the Mavs also. They played an outstanding game from start to finish.

Obviously, the Spurs didn't play well. But, we have to admit the Mavs defensive pressure, great shooting and overall intensity had mostly to do with that. They simply outplayed the Spurs.

With Dirk being on fire in the second half and no one seemingly able to slow him down, I am curious as to why Pop didn't try Sean Marks? He's obviously long, athletic and he could have paid dividends on the offensive side of the ball. Especially with Horry out. Anybody know why?

v2000
04-09-2006, 10:34 PM
With Dirk being on fire in the second half and no one seemingly able to slow him down, I am curious as to why Pop didn't try Sean Marks? He's obviously long, athletic and he could have paid dividends on the offensive side of the ball. Especially with Horry out. Anybody know why?
probably because he sucks.

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 10:36 PM
probably because he sucks.

That question was not directed toward any ill-informed Mavs homers - like yourself

v2000
04-09-2006, 10:48 PM
That question was not directed toward any ill-informed Mavs homers - like yourself
that post was not directed at you. mind your own business.

SequSpur
04-09-2006, 10:50 PM
FTM.

When they can win a playoff series and advance to a game that really counts, I might give them some praise.

F em.

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Mind your own

www.dallasbasketball.com

adrienne
04-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Don't try to make Mavs fans go...this is the only good Spurs site of many. There are NO good Mavs sites of many.

Please, please....give us a home. :lol

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Don't try to make Mavs fans go...this is the only good Spurs site of many. There are NO good Mavs sites of many.

Please, please....give us a home. :lol

AD. You're fine and a very level-headed Mavs fan.

I was just giving the other guy some lip.

You certainly do the Mavs nation proud.

Pandaemonaeon
04-09-2006, 11:20 PM
Dallas-Basketball's cool. Sure it's EZBoard but... it's... yeah, I guess you're right.

JohnMcClane
04-09-2006, 11:28 PM
The funny thing is that Spurs fans here are much more tolerant of different opinions than any Mav site I have found. If you say anyhting remotely critical of the Mavs, even if you are a Mavs fan, there is a group of Mavs fans that will run you off all these sites and either force you to quit posting or get you banned.

Yet I have seen people here be much more respectful of Mavs fans that are criticizing the Spurs.

I don't really understand it. Maybe it is just a small group of weirdos that has a strangle hold on all the Mavs sites.

SenorSpur
04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
The funny thing is that Spurs fans here are much more tolerant of different opinions than any Mav site I have found. If you say anyhting remotely critical of the Mavs, even if you are a Mavs fan, there is a group of Mavs fans that will run you off all these sites and either force you to quit posting or get you banned.

Yet I have seen people here be much more respectful of Mavs fans that are criticizing the Spurs.

I don't really understand it. Maybe it is just a small group of weirdos that has a strangle hold on all the Mavs sites.

.....with the chief weirdo perhaps being...Mark Cuban

LEONARD
04-10-2006, 07:46 AM
but those 2 starters still out don't have the name that a ROBERT HORRY brings to the table...although it would've been SWeeT to see devin play against parker

Harris isn't a starter...I was referring to Griffin and HOWARD...

Howard >>>>>>>>>>> Horry

101A
04-10-2006, 08:23 AM
yea, some props. Diop defended Timmy VERY well, and their zone defense kept Parker out of the lane. The only time Parker was really able to penetrate was on the fast break. They had a VERY good defensive answer for him.

Spurs appreciate Avery showing that hand in a relatively meaningless game.

101A
04-10-2006, 08:27 AM

Probably an age dynamic. The Mavs bandwagon started rolling in, what, '00 or '01? Spurs have been decent, or very good (other than a brief stint in the late '80's) for nearly 30 years. This board, I am sure, runs the gammot of age brackets. From the juvenile (not tolerant or all that enlightened), to the blue hair (been at this long enough to realize how truly pointless professional sports are), and everything in between.

v2000
04-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Spurs appreciate Avery showing that hand in a relatively meaningless game.
you are an idiot if you think that was a meaningless game. if the spurs happen to lose HCA, that will be the first game to pop in your mind.

101A
04-10-2006, 08:43 AM
you are an idiot if you think that was a meaningless game. if the spurs happen to lose HCA, that will be the first game to pop in your mind.

1st, HCA is overrated; but the Spurs won't lose it nonetheless. (Mavs fan still haven't had the lesson wrenched through Spurs fan heart in '95, and again in '01 & '03 - HCA means nothing).

I used to go on Lakers boards and I sound EXACTLY like you; proclaiming a important victory for the Spurs in a regular season game; that this meant the Spurs WERE competing and at least the equal of the Lakers. Then, in the playoffs, Phil would pull out a completely different defense on the Spurs, shut them down and take them out. It took a couple of season for Pop to catch on, and start coaching an ENTIRE season, not just a game at a time.

What good is HCA, if in the 1st game in Dallas, Pop runs something at Avery he ain't ready for, and the Mavs lose that game. If you have put all you eggs in that advantage, and it is unceremoniously wrenched away in 48 minutes, it IS demoralizing, and you have essentially lost the series after a single game. The three most humiliating series the Spurs have ever played began IN SAN ANTONIO! Once to Houston, twice to the Lakers.

How'd that HCA work out for Phoenix last season?

You thing in an important playoff game, Gino & Tony sit for 5 minutes of a 4th quarter in which the Spurs are trailing? You think in an important game, with that game on the line, Pop gives Tim the ball in the high post and says "make something happen"? What, exactly, did Pop show Avery there about how he will REALLY draw up a last minute play?

Am I saying Pop wanted to lose this game? No, he would have rather won. Did the Spurs play hard? Yes, absolutely; but what they didn't do, was play a game specifically planned and schemed to beat the Mavericks.

Next time, they will.

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 08:53 AM
if the spurs happen to lose HCA, that will be the first game to pop in your mind.

Not me, actually ... the first game(s) that would pop into my mind are losses to the Cavs, Kings, 76'ers, Nuggets, Sonics, the freakin' Hawks....

All of those games the Spurs *should have* won to even be in that position to begin with. I wouldn't think of that one at all because Dallas has a really good team and I'm not ashamed or whatever of the Spurs losing to them.

In the regular season, anyway. :)

LEONARD
04-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Mavs fans...please stop mentioning HCA...the Mavs will NOT get the 1st seed...

Their schedule is too tough. If the Spurs had lost to the Grizz last night, then it would at least be possible (still unlikely)...

boutons_
04-10-2006, 09:10 AM
The homers who say after every bad loss (Spurs play like shit to lose against a shitty team) "It's only one game" always look like even more stupidly short-sighted in April when the Spurs are in a tight HCA race and need "only one game" to get HCA against a good team.

Last week's little fiasco of the Spurs dropping 2 games @ATT in April just about neutralized Mavs losing 5 games in 7 a couple weeks ago.

The Mavs could continue their roll and play like they really want HCA and WC championship by winning all these games:

Mon 10 @ L.A. Clippers (Clips are not playing well)

Wed 12 @ Golden State
Thu 13 @ Phoenix

2 days rest

Sun 16 Utah

2 days rest

Wed 19 L.A. Clippers

101A
04-10-2006, 09:19 AM
The Mavs could continue their roll and play like they really want HCA and WC championship ...

Because we KNOW HCA always means WC championship. (or at least once every 3 years)
:rolleyes

101A
04-10-2006, 09:28 AM
BTW, you think that B2B @ Phoenix is a cakewalk?

Spurs have:

Seattle - 11th (Suck - 12 -25 on the road)
Orlando - 13th (Suck - 9 - 30 on the road)
@ Minnesota - 16th (Suck - 24 - 15 @ home and Garnetts got knee issues, now)
Utah - 17th (Can lose this B2B & still win HCA 18 - 20 on the road)
@ Houston - 19th (Suck) (Must Win if going to end tied Rockets 15 - 23 @ home)

Not much of a stretch for the Spurs to win out (and they have the luxury of dropping EITHER the Minnesota or Utah games - if Dallas drops either @ Clips, GS, or Phoenix, Spurs can lose both.)

Fabbs
04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
While granted, it's only regular season, what is Averys career record up to?
He got the record for NBA coaching history best 82 game start.
He must be up to 100 games now.

CubanMustGo
04-10-2006, 10:20 AM

Spurs have:

Not much of a stretch for the Spurs to win out (and they have the luxury of dropping EITHER the Minnesota or Utah games - if Dallas drops either @ Clips, GS, or Phoenix, Spurs can lose both.)

In case you haven't noticed, Suns haven't been playing .500 ball recently (8-9 in last 17). So, yeah, if Dallas keeps playing at the level of the last couple of games it should be a cakewalk. The Amare situation has just destroyed the Suns' rhythm.

Don't forget SA SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS on the back end of B2B's. I'm sorry, but they do. So pencil in a loss there (which you already have) and now there is very little margin for error.

v2000
04-10-2006, 10:32 AM
1st, HCA is overrated; but the Spurs won't lose it nonetheless. (Mavs fan still haven't had the lesson wrenched through Spurs fan heart in '95, and again in '01 & '03 - HCA means nothing).

I used to go on Lakers boards and I sound EXACTLY like you; proclaiming a important victory for the Spurs in a regular season game; that this meant the Spurs WERE competing and at least the equal of the Lakers. Then, in the playoffs, Phil would pull out a completely different defense on the Spurs, shut them down and take them out. It took a couple of season for Pop to catch on, and start coaching an ENTIRE season, not just a game at a time.

What good is HCA, if in the 1st game in Dallas, Pop runs something at Avery he ain't ready for, and the Mavs lose that game. If you have put all you eggs in that advantage, and it is unceremoniously wrenched away in 48 minutes, it IS demoralizing, and you have essentially lost the series after a single game. The three most humiliating series the Spurs have ever played began IN SAN ANTONIO! Once to Houston, twice to the Lakers.

How'd that HCA work out for Phoenix last season?

You thing in an important playoff game, Gino & Tony sit for 5 minutes of a 4th quarter in which the Spurs are trailing? You think in an important game, with that game on the line, Pop gives Tim the ball in the high post and says "make something happen"? What, exactly, did Pop show Avery there about how he will REALLY draw up a last minute play?

Am I saying Pop wanted to lose this game? No, he would have rather won. Did the Spurs play hard? Yes, absolutely; but what they didn't do, was play a game specifically planned and schemed to beat the Mavericks.

Next time, they will.
sure, it may not make a HUGE difference in the playoffs, but it was an important game in determining who has HCA. if you think the Spurs honestly dont care whether they get it or not, you are probably wrong. ALL teams want HCA. if they didnt want it, they can just tank the rest of the game to let their players get some rest.

Ginobili was sitting because he was hurt, and Parker was sitting because he was shut down, while Van Exel was lighting us up. If it werent for NVE, the game wouldnt have been nearly as close. he kept you all in the game.

giving Timmy the ball in the final moments isnt such a bad idea, i mean this is his team, and he is BY FAR the best player on the team, and he should have been able to outplay whomever the Mavs threw at him. aside from that, Howard had Ginobili defended VERY well, and the Mavericks zone made Parker useless.

also, Phoenix had, and still has NO defense. its obvious why they didnt win. the Mavs offense is just as potent, but their defense is FAR superior.

now, its true that HCA can be rendered useless if you dont take advantage of it, but it can also be a great asset if you take care of business at home. it can get your players a great mental boost, while draining the opponent. but DON'T say that HCA means nothing, because you KNOW that without it, you would not have beat the Pistons last year.

v2000
04-10-2006, 10:33 AM

Spurs have:

first off, the Mavs are a MUCH better b2b team than the Spurs. second, the Suns have been crappy as of late, as the other poster noted, and they still play no defense. they should be able to get a W there.

101A
04-10-2006, 10:47 AM
... you would not have beat the Pistons last year.

I don't Know that at all. The better team wins a 7 game series, regardless of HCA. There were 2 road victories in that series; NEITHER team held serve.

spur219
04-10-2006, 04:51 PM
I seriously think Pop didn't go all out on his coaching. That way in the playoffs he could catch Avery and the Mavericks with something they haven't seen before and something they are not ready for. As a coach I know that is what I would do.

leemajors
04-10-2006, 04:57 PM
i don't think there is too much pop could do that avery hasn't seen or could anticipate. pop said himself there aren't any secrets, it just comes down to excecution - dallas executed well and we didn't.

mavsfan1000
04-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Forget homecourt advantage man. It's not happening for Dallas. They will have to win in the playoffs on the road.

SequSpur
04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
ftm

SpursWoman
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM