PDA

View Full Version : I'm just glad...

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 12:06 AM
...that the Spurs have minimized their luxury tax burden. It's great when ownership is willing to cut costs when it comes to winning, isn't it Spurs fans?

timvp
04-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Malik Rose against Dirk would have been a nice matchup.

Trifecta
04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
I'll reserve judgement on this when I see what moves they make in the off-season -- and they need to make a few!

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Who are the missing on their team that they should have spent money on who would have helped them in the last two games?

smeagol
04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Sparky's old line . . . rehashed once more.

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 12:13 AM
This team needs something off the bench. There is no life, no energy. Oberto was nice in the 1st half, but otherwise it's just dead. The perimeter play is killing this team. Something's wrong with Manu. It feels like he's fading down the stretch.

Used to, this team had young players coming off the bench who brought some life into the game. Now they have names.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 12:14 AM
This team needs something off the bench. There is no life, no energy. Oberto was nice in the 1st half, but otherwise it's just dead. The perimeter play is killing this team. Something's wrong with Manu. It feels like he's fading down the stretch.

Used to, this team had young players coming off the bench who brought some life into the game. Now they have names.

Did you watch the game tonight? The "old" bench players (NVE and Fin) are the only ones who brought anything to the table.

leemajors
04-08-2006, 12:17 AM
i thought someone retired from the internets.

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 12:19 AM
So they made a few shots. This team couldn't get a stop against the friggin' Mavs.

Oh well, maybe they'll get hot in the playoffs so they can make the Finals to get dropped by the Pistons. I'm surprised this team hasn't gelled yet here in April.

ducks
04-08-2006, 12:21 AM
spurs bench>mavs bench

how much more did you want the bench to do

this loss was on tp and duncan
duncan was hurt and had the flu

leemajors
04-08-2006, 12:23 AM
the bench had a great effort tonight. 3 of the starters didn't do jack.

Trifecta
04-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Who are the missing on their team that they should have spent money on who would have helped them in the last two games?

Kori, I am referring to the big picture in that the team needs to get younger and more athletic!

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Im still waiting for Sparky aka sunshine, to bring some names to what bench players the Spurs turned down for Finley and whatever.

But, bitching just to bitch I guess.

Dre_7
04-08-2006, 05:35 AM

Your trippin. It wasnt about the bench. Maybe if Tim Duncan brought something, to go along with Finley (Wisconsin graduate) and NVE (born and raised in Sconsin) then SA would have won. They were in it despite Duncan's no show. In the past if Duncan was playing like crap, the Spurs would get crushed. Now, they are still in the game, even against the other top team in the west. I think that goes to show just how much depth they had. AND they were without Horry and Beno.

Dont blame the bench for a game the starters lost!!

Bruno
04-08-2006, 06:07 AM
spurs bench>mavs bench

how much more did you want the bench to do

this loss was on tp and duncan
duncan was hurt and had the flu

and Parker was hurt too but Spurs can't win when our 2 best players this year have an off night (due to injury or not). I don't see the link with the Luxury Tax.

Mark in Austin
04-08-2006, 11:17 AM
got damn...

so much man love for Devin Brown...

V-2
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd love to see Josh Smith playing for the Spurs, We'd have won both games with him, Rasho and Nazr are stiffs (we only need one of them, Nazr preferably). Switch TD at the C, when smallballing, and his current production is as good or better than any other C in the NBA. Trade Rashostiff to Philly and pick up a John Salmons or something + fillers, too bad J.R for Brent didn't work out. Bruce is the best perimeter defender but cannot play 48 min/game, he's getting older and cannot guard Dirk and JHoward simultaneously. The emergence of Delk in Detroit means that Detroit will pour backets on us from the 2 spot all night long. Dice, Dale Davis,Cato, that's alot of fouls for a poor FT shooter. Spurs need to get more athletic no matter what.

boutons_
04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
"Malik Rose against Dirk"

Malik on the permeter?
Malik at the top of the paint?
Malik not getting rubbed off constant screens?
Malike even staying in the game by not fouling Dirk and screens?
IBIWISI

T Park
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Still waiting for Sparky to name the players the Spurs passed on that would've made a difference.

kris
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Why is there this huge youth movement notion going on?

Manu + Duncan are in their prime years. Parker is still very young.

That is the foundation of the Spurs. Obviously the role players will need to be phased out, but that is what the Spurs have always done under Pop.

MannyIsGod
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
What the flying fuck? They lost because the STARTERS sucked ass tonight, not the bench. Marcus Bryant just wants to regurgitate his old bullshit. Nice way to come out of "retirement".

kris
04-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I'd love to see Josh Smith playing for the Spurs, We'd have won both games with him, Rasho and Nazr are stiffs (we only need one of them, Nazr preferably). Switch TD at the C, when smallballing, and his current production is as good or better than any other C in the NBA. Trade Rashostiff to Philly and pick up a John Salmons or something + fillers, too bad J.R for Brent didn't work out. Bruce is the best perimeter defender but cannot play 48 min/game, he's getting older and cannot guard Dirk and JHoward simultaneously. The emergence of Delk in Detroit means that Detroit will pour backets on us from the 2 spot all night long. Dice, Dale Davis,Cato, that's alot of fouls for a poor FT shooter. Spurs need to get more athletic no matter what.

The problem is nobody these days wants to trade stiffs for young, promising athletes.

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Manu and TD aren't at 100%. So you find yourself relying on the old vets to win. That's not a good prospect for this team.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Still waiting on names Magic.

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Yeah, there were no young swingmen for this team to sign last summer.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:37 PM
So Matt Barnes would've won the game last night??

Interesting :lol

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Not exactly.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Thats one of the young wings.

Who,

Devin Brown??? :lmao

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 01:48 PM
When he was here he provided more as a reserve swingman than I've seen from anyone this season. As it stands we have to expect Manu to provide all of the energy in the rotation and with him at less than 100%, that's not a great prospect.

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:53 PM
:lol

Yeah, Devin sure helped in the playoffs last year.

He was THE reason they won....

Who provided the spark off the bench for the Spurs in the playoffs last year??

oh yeah...

T Park
04-08-2006, 01:54 PM
When he was here he provided more as a reserve swingman than I've seen from anyone this season

When did he ever hit clutch threes and average 10 a game like Michael Finley has this year???

Oh yeah,

never.

Brown is gone, MOVE ON.

ChumpDumper
04-08-2006, 02:01 PM
Manu and TD aren't at 100%.If Tim and Manu aren't 100%, chances are dicey to win anyway.
So you find yourself relying on the old vets to win. That's not a good prospect for this team.Yes, unproven rookie swingmen are a much more reliable. :madrun

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Yeah, they couldn't use a guy who played better D than any current reserve swing and who's offensive game fit rather well. I'm glad we have Melvin Sanders and his 10 day contract or whatever instead.

Melmart1
04-08-2006, 02:06 PM
i thought you were retiring from posting?

SPARKY
04-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, this season is over.

Melmart1
04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Well, this season is over.

nice, spurs fan. i hope you are just role playing.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Malik Rose against Dirk would have been a nice matchup.

Yeah, in 1999. :rolleyes

Yeah, there were no young swingmen for this team to sign last summer.

Which one of your 6'4" swingmen would have shut down Dirk last night?

exstatic
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree that the Spurs need a shot of youth this summer, but as stated, the bench shone, and the starters sucked. The unit that got worked:

Tony 23
Manu 28
Tim 29
Nazr 28
Bowen 35

I've been thinking about this, too. I'd call N.O. and see if I couldn't kill two birds with one stone. The seemed to want Barry. See if they bite on Barry/Rasho for JR Smith/ PJ Brown. I know Brown is getting long in the tooth, but he's a chippy MoFo who isn't afraid to mix it up with anyone, and his numbers are still good. Start him next to Tim and jettison our other passive big by letting Nazr go. PJ's also an ending contract. New Orleans gets some vets to steady their young guys, and their contracts are only 2 years each. If they want Scola, throw him in.

To address the Nazr spot, if Ian isn't ready, you go and get a Jamal Sampson. He's rotting in Sacto, inactive, rebounds like a motherfucker (5+ when he plays 13-14 minutes) and he'll only be 23 in May.

Our bigs are improved, and the ages net out, we get some youth on the perimeter, and we still have talent in Europe. If Ian is ready, Marks gets a handshake and thanks, and we get that much more athletic..

ChumpDumper
04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Eh, Byron gets rid of guys he doesn't like. I don't see Shinn as willing to let PJ go either.

I like Sampson's potential, but I see red flags when guys don't work out in Charlotte.

exstatic
04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Eh, Byron gets rid of guys he doesn't like. I don't see Shinn as willing to let PJ go either.

I like Sampson's potential, but I see red flags when guys don't work out in Charlotte.

Any players we pick up will have questions. Teams generally don't let go of solid citizen All-Stars, CD....

JR Smith has issues, too. We just need to find out if they're Byron Scott issues, or real ones. :lol

MannyIsGod
04-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Devin Brown would have saved the season. Give me a fucking break!

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 04:43 PM
JR Smith has issues, too. We just need to find out if they're Byron Scott issues, or real ones. :lol

He has a lot of "not coming to practice" issues. It will be hard to figure out what's going on there, but obviously the Spurs were willing to risk it.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Well Lord Byron thought Buckets had no hope either. I trust our talent evaluation staff more than I trust the knucklehead coaching the Hornets.