PDA

View Full Version : Loss to Mavs frustrates Duncan

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Loss to Mavs frustrates Duncan

Web Posted: 04/08/2006 12:07 AM CDT
Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040806.8C.BKNspurs.duncan.13bb519d.html

Tim Duncan was feeling better before Friday's game against the Dallas Mavericks at the AT&T Center.

The stomach virus that distressed him all week finally seemed to have run its course.

The sick feeling in his belly as he exited the arena was the result of his inability to match the MVP-caliber play of Mavericks power forward Dirk Nowitzki's during Dallas' 92-86 victory.

While Nowitzki was making 7 of 11 second-half shots and scoring 19 of his 30 points in the final two periods, Duncan was experiencing another night of frustration. The Spurs' power forward made just 5 of 15 shots, 3 of 6 free throws and committed two turnovers in a loss that kept the Spurs from gaining a solid foothold on the No.1 playoff seed in the Western Conference.

"The looks were there," Duncan said. "The shots were there. Tony (Parker) and myself both had off nights, and they capitalized on it."

While the Spurs were shifting defensive assignments on Nowitzki for much of the second half — Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Nazr Mohammed, Fabricio Oberto and Michael Finley all took turns guarding the 7-footer — the Mavericks did nothing against Duncan that he does not see in most games.

"Honestly, they just played solid defense," Duncan said. "More than anything, I just put the onus on myself. I had shots that I took that I can make. It's just about making shots."

Duncan said his inability to make shots affected all the Spurs, especially during crunch time.

"If I make a shot or two, all of a sudden I can loosen up the defense, and things can change," he said. "I just couldn't get that shot to go down early on, and it just made the rest of the game tough."

Before getting sick a day before the Spurs' victory over the Washington Wizards on April1, Duncan had begun to resemble the dominant player who led the Spurs to three championships.

He had scored 20 points in back-to-back road victories over the Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Lakers. It was clear the stomach ailment robbed him of some energy over the next three games, but he reported for Friday's game feeling nearly normal.

His shot, however, seems to need an injection.

At halftime, it was hard to tell which All-Star power forward was having the worse night, Duncan or Nowitzki.

Duncan made only 2 of 8 first-half shots while Nowitzki was only 4 of 13.

Nowitzki got his game untracked in the third period and owned the second half. Nothing Duncan or any of the other Spurs' defenders tried to do to stop him worked.

"He was great down the stretch," Duncan said. "He made some great moves, made some tough shots and was just the difference in the game.

"Down the stretch there, we were right where we wanted to be. We were right within striking distance and just couldn't get over the hump."

polandprzem
04-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Where is the frustration?

And Timmy agains saying he could take the shots and the shots should go down. But he is not making them all year long. One night - the Lakers that's it.

And Jordan was playing with a stomach virus in the finals 1997. Can anyone remember his performance?

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 01:09 AM
But he is not making them all year long.

Nice exaggeration.

For the year, he's shooting 48.5 percent from the floor. Last season he shot 49.6.

angel_luv
04-08-2006, 01:12 AM
It's aiight Timmy.

I say we let this loss go and win out from here. :)

Troll
04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Funny how when Tim Duncan is upset it's called frustration, when Dirk gets upset? it's called whinning. Tonights game came down to who had the ball in the last 2 minutes. If the game had ended sooner? the spurs would have won. If the game went on 3 more minutes Spurs could have won by a basket, Both teams sucked at times and both teams shined at times , Tonights game didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, It did do one thing. It showed how many bandWagon fans this city has, and how many post at this forum. :lmao

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2006, 01:13 AM
duncan should start takin it to the hole more then settling for jumpshotz.

go hard or go home

Amuseddaysleeper
04-08-2006, 01:14 AM

go hard or go home

i'd agree with that normally but with his horrific FT shooting I'm sure he probably cringes when he has to go to the line

polandprzem
04-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Nice exaggeration.

For the year, he's shooting 48.5 percent from the floor. Last season he shot 49.6.

Ohh that's almost the same Timmy (sarc)

I do not like check out the stats. But last year Tim had few games he was playing few minutes because of the injury that happend to him. He roled his ankles and he was not that an effective player as he used to be. Good we had Manu.
Timmy is stil the core but he is scoring two less points then the last season.

his woes started in December and after that month he was getting worse and worse in making the shots. That's not good and unfortnately he can't get a rest before the playoffs like it was last year.

Troll
04-08-2006, 01:19 AM

go hard or go home

hey asshat Tim does what Pop tells him to do. He did go hard, lets see your fat pork skin eating ass get out there. I guess you won't be happy until he snapps his kneee wide open. This is not the playoffs. as for your last comment? I think he has been home a few hours already

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 01:21 AM
his woes started in December and after that month he was getting worse and worse in making the shots.

In March, he actually shot well.

mouse.
04-08-2006, 01:27 AM
It must be hard for real Spur fans to have to read the crap many posters say on a daily basis and after a loss the same asshats have the nerve to make topics about how this team sucks and it's all over, I would give these penis puppets a 3 day bann why should the real Spur supportors have to wake up to a bandwagon website? It's days like these that remind me why I left this sorry ass egg sucking fence riding flip flopping city

polandprzem
04-08-2006, 01:29 AM
In March, he actually shot well.
Yes he was, and I was happy that he can get to the optimal form before the playoffs. Now it is just a matter of if it's the virus or something else.

Spurs are not clicking Kori.

And the should :(

xcoriate
04-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Man I remember the Duncan from the start of this season, he was freaking awesome. I was so stoked the 2003 Duncan was back, his banker was money and the post moves were quick and puposeful again unfortunately it was short lived.

That was only 4 months ago, its not age thats holding him back like some think its the various injuries. Once he recovers I'm sure he can get back to that level again.

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 01:45 AM
The Mavs just played well...

The Party has just begun :flag:

milkyway21
04-08-2006, 03:48 AM
let this Duncan frustration will turn into a WIN against the Memphis. Bec I was so pissed off watching the Spurs lost to Sonics last weekend i really wanted to pull Ray Allen's:cat hair and burn them to pieces..

good luck Spurs!

Vashner
04-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Hum.. after processing the data I have come up with a Beer Theory..

The last 2 games started at 7....

People where 1.0 to .5 beers behind schedule. This effects the rowdy factor.

Solution. Get fans drunk faster. :vomit:
:stirpot:
:cell

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2006, 04:44 AM
They have won the battle, but the war is not over.

In TD we trust.

They are lucky beno is out with a sprained ankle, or else he wouldve jinx them from the bench.