PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Horry misses game after kin's death

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Spurs notebook: Horry misses game after kin's death

Web Posted: 04/08/2006 12:18 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA040806.9C.BKNspurs.notebook.13c56af4.html

Robert Horry missed Friday's 92-86 loss to the Mavericks after his father-in-law passed away.

Horry will spend as much time with his family as he needs, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

"It matters a whole lot more making sure the family is straight and everybody's got what they need," Popovich said.

Sean Marks took Horry's place on the active roster Friday against Dallas.

The Mavericks were missing starting guard Adrian Griffin (strained right hamstring) and backup point guard Devin Harris (left thigh bruise).

Griffin may play tonight against New Orleans, while Harris is expected back next week.

Beno back: Spurs point guard Beno Udrih returned after missing the previous four games with a sprained left ankle.

Popovich continued to use Nick Van Exel as the backup point guard in part because he wants to see if he's going to be healthy enough to contribute in the playoffs.

"At (Van Exel's) age, he needs to be on the court to get rhythm and play," Popovich said. "That's probably going to limit Beno's minutes to a degree.

"Now, if there's a specific game, and Nick's having a hard time, or he's in foul trouble, or there's a matchup where I don't think he'll be able to handle it defensively, then Beno will get minutes."

Van Exel, who has been bothered by bone chips in his left elbow, hasn't been "real vocal" about how much he's hurting.

"I think he's just hoping and praying that that thing holds together for him," Popovich said.

Van Exel has already received three cortisone injections for his elbow and will be able to get two more, if needed, as the playoffs near.

"That should ease whatever is going on," Popovich said.

Insult to injury: Tony Parker was back on the floor Friday night, albeit with a new scar atop his head.

Parker was cut in the fourth quarter Wednesday against Sacramento on a drive to the basket. The Spurs' medical staff glued the gash together — a common technique now — instead of using stitches.

"He'll be OK, but he won't be one of the 50 Most Beautiful People anymore," Popovich said. "I never thought he was anyway, but, apparently, someone did." :lmao

What they needed? A little over a week ago, Dallas coach Avery Johnson was hopping mad about the Mavericks' three-game losing streak. But after Dallas bounced back by winning its next two games in convincing fashion, he admitted the losses might have paid a few dividends.

"Losing is never good, but it was beneficial because it exposed certain things that we needed to get back to the basics and work on," Johnson said. "We had a lot of system malfunctions during some long stretches during that losing streak."

Nowitzki's vote: Sacramento's Ron Artest, the 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year, has asserted his right to win the award again this season despite missing 26 games because, he said, he shuts down the league's best scorers.

Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, who on Tuesday scored 29 against Artest in 31 minutes, respectfully disagrees. If he had a Defensive Player of the Year vote, he said he probably would give it to the Spurs' Bruce Bowen.

"He makes it so tough on you," Nowitzki said of Bowen. "(He) takes you out of your comfort zone."

angel_luv
04-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Hahaha Pop is funny.

Condolences to Rob.

Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, who on Tuesday scored 29 against Artest in 31 minutes, respectfully disagrees. If he had a Defensive Player of the Year vote, he said he probably would give it to the Spurs' Bruce Bowen.

"He makes it so tough on you," Nowitzki said of Bowen. "(He) takes you out of your comfort zone."

Well said Dirk. That was very classy of him, I think.

missmyzte
04-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Condolences to the Horry and Develle families

polandprzem
04-08-2006, 01:24 AM
Condolences to the Horry

I like Pop's sense of humor and I hope I will listen to it on a championship DVD once again

Vinnie_Johnson
04-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Condolences to the Horry

and Rip for his and his loss.

RON ARTEST
04-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Hahaha Pop is funny.

Condolences to Rob.

Well said Dirk. That was very classy of him, I think.well bowen didnt take him out his comfort zone tonight. :lol artest is the better defender there is no question about it. anyone that can make the kings a good defensive team has got my vote. i think bowen should get it but only because artest missed alot of games.

Vashner
04-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Condolences and RIP.

Nocioni
04-08-2006, 04:53 AM
Rest in peace for spurs and pistons