PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets' Hodge shot and wounded on highway

Pistons < Spurs
04-08-2006, 11:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2401667

DENVER -- Julius Hodge of the Denver Nuggets was shot and wounded early Saturday, Adams County sheriff's deputies said.

Hodge was struck several times in his lower body and has been taken to a hospital.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said in a statement that Hodge is in fair condition and expected to make a full recovery.

"There is no apparent motive for this shooting and detectives from the Adams County Sheriff's Office are investigating the incident," Vandeweghe said. "First and foremost, our primary concern is Julius' health."

The sheriff's office said Hodge was driving on Interstate 76 in the Denver area at about 2 a.m. when another vehicle pulled alongside and someone inside started shooting.

Another motorist stopped and took Hodge to a hospital.

Authorities said the motive for the shooting wasn't known and they appealed to any witnesses to come forward.

The 22-year-old Hodge was the Nuggets' first-round draft pick in 2005. He was recalled from the NBA Developmental League last month to replace guard Earl Boykins after Boykins broke his hand.

DarkReign
04-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Heres a tip for you young players.

Its all cool that you were raised in rough neighborhoods. Seriously, congratulations on focusing your talents and making a better life for yourselves.

But dont ever go back to your old digs at night. There is a reason middle class to rich people dont go there at night either.

He was probably shot by a hater. Jealousy and envy.

ChumpDumper
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Um, Julius is from Harlem, not Denver.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Harlem actually isn't that bad of an area, it's pretty nice actually.

efrem1
04-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't know much about Adams County. I know that Aurora is in Adams County and its a decent town. Any Denver people out there know much about the county?

ChumpDumper
04-08-2006, 03:27 PM
Dude was on the highway when this happened. No assumptions can really be made about neighborhoods or anything else really.

Kori Ellis
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm not assuming anything, but he was accused of rape earlier this season. Now he gets shot on the freeway. He's either very unlucky, or spending time with the wrong people.

timvp
04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
That sucks. I wonder if this is random violence or Hodge got himself into something he shouldn't. His previous charge has me wondering.

I hope he can make a full recovery and start playing soon. The NBA could use the Wit and Wisdom of Julius Hodge. (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12445)

DarkReign
04-08-2006, 09:46 PM
I'm not assuming anything, but he was accused of rape earlier this season. Now he gets shot on the freeway. He's either very unlucky, or spending time with the wrong people.

Thats more or less my point. Its like Carmello 'holding it down' in some silly video with a convicted drug dealer.

There comes a point in every persons life when you you have too much to lose. Its called growing up.

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Dude was on the highway when this happened. No assumptions can really be made about neighborhoods or anything else really.

I wish I had the photoshop skills to blend "Dumb and Dumber" on a scooter sporting Uzis, and Julius Hodge.

snowboarder
04-09-2006, 12:03 AM
that sucks

good luck to him

ChumpDumper
04-09-2006, 01:50 AM
Hodge expected to recover

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
April 8, 2006

Denver Nuggets rookie guard Julius Hodge is expected to make a quick and full recovery after being the victim of a shooting on a highway outside Denver.

Hodge was shot while driving eastbound on I-76, near I-25, about 2 a.m. Saturday. Adams County Sheriff Doug Darr said he was fired upon by someone in a passing vehicle, and no motive is yet known.

Nuggets coach George Karl said Karl was hit by three bullets, two in the upper leg and one in the lower leg.

"Your first reaction is to make sure he's OK,'' Karl said. "Preliminary reports are he's going to be fine, and be able to play in two to three weeks. Just the trauma, it hit us pretty good (during the team's Saturday morning shootaround). We were crying, shook by it.''

Hodge, 22, has played sparingly this season, and spent just over a month of the season with the Nuggets' NBA Development League team in Austin, Texas. He is averaging 0.9 points in 14 games with Denver.

The Nuggets reported Hodge to be in fair condition. He could be released as soon as today from Swedish Medical Center.

At least half the players on the team visited him in the hospital. Others talked to him on the phone.

"He was in a good mood, cracking jokes,'' said rookie Linas Kleiza, among those who visited Hodge. "We didn't talk much about (the shooting). We tried to get his mind off it and talk about other stuff. He's like a brother to us.''

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he got a call very early Saturday morning informing him of the incident.

"The first reaction is you hope he's OK, and he is, and that's great news,'' Vandeweghe said. "I have talked to him. He's doing well. Obviously, he's a little shaken up. But he's doing fine.''

The shooting is being investigated. Darr said Hodge was fired upon from a vehicle he described as an "older model, larger vehicle, possibly a Cadillac.'' He said the vehicle is cream colored with custom chrome wheels and dark-tinted windows.

Hodge was traveling with a passenger, whom Darr would not identify. Darr said he was "mildly'' injured.

Hodge and the passenger have been interviewed. While Darr said there is no known motive for the shooting, he stopped short of calling it random.

"There is no indication of an altercation that has predated this incident,'' said Darr, who said Hodge said he did see the vehicle approaching.

After Hodge was shot, he and the passenger were taken to North Suburban Medical Center by a motorist who had stopped. Darr said the Good Samaritan has not been located, and officials would like to find the individual in an attempt to get more information.

Prior to the incident, Hodge had been at Palladium Disco, a nightclub at I-76 and Pecos, to see a friend who was giving a musical performance.

The Nuggets defeated the Golden State Warriiors 95-92 Saturday night to clinch a tie for the Northwest Division. The Nuggets can win their first division title in 18 years with a win Monday at Portland or a Utah home loss to Houston.

Most players found out about the incident when they arrived for shooaround Saturday morning.

"Why him?'' said Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin, the team's highest-paid player who is making $10.6 million this season while Hodge is making $1.15 million. "People mess it up for everybody, man. That kid don't bother nobody. Why pick him out of 15 guys? Me, people might understand. I got a little more money than Julius? Him, I don't understand. It's not like he's driving around town in a $400,000 car.

"Just maybe wrong place, wrong time. People are stupid man. People are idiots. It's unfortunate that something like that could happen to one of your teammates in a city like Denver. If it can happen here, it can happen anywhere.''

Barr said he did not know what type of car Hodge was in and Martin wouldn't say what Hodge usually drives. The vehicle has been impounded as part of the investigation.

Hodge was drafted by the Nuggets with the No. 20 pick in the first round last June out of North Carolina State.

"It's obviously tough because Julius is a very popular player and extremely well liked on the team,'' Vandeweghe said. "He is really one of the good guys.''

Vandeweghe commended the actions of the unidentified Good Samaritan. Although Karl said it has been discussed asking the NBA for an injury exception to sign a replacement for Hodge, Vandeweghe said it's too early to speculate on that.

Players were relieved when they learned Hodge's condition was not serious. Guard Ruben Patterson said Hodge "could be dead,'' but that it was a "blessing'' at how well he's doing.

"He was in good spirits,'' said Patterson, among those who visited Hodge. "He was laughing.''

Nuggets star forward Carmelo Anthony talked to Hodge on the phone.

"He's in good shape,'' Anthony said. "He'll be all right. "It was tough (hearing about it)? He'll be all right? It's just a matter of time.''

Anthony predicted Hodge would be back to normal "in a couple of weeks, but not back playing.'' It doesn't matter a great deal since Hodge is not expected to be on Denver's playoff roster anyway.

"I talked to him on the phone (Saturday afternoon) and said, 'I'll see (Hodge on Sunday) morning,' " Karl said before Saturday's game. "He just said, 'Win the game. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine.' "

While circumstances surrounding the incident are still being investigated, Karl did say he recently told his players to be extra careful about what they do off the court.

"I talked (about) it with my team,'' Karl said. "Slow down everything with off-the-court (activities).''

Darr said Hodge had gone to see his friend perform at the Palladium Disco around midnight. Darr said Hodge left, came back and then departed around the closing hour.

Adams County deputies received a call about a shooting around 2:15 a.m. Saturday. When they got to the scene, deputies found an unoccupied vehicle in the middle of the road that had appeared to be involved in an incident. By that time, Hodge and his passenger already had been transported to a medical facility.

Darr asked that anyone with knowledge of the incident call the Adams County Sheriff's Office at (720) 322-1313.

[email protected] or 303-892-5125

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4607192,00.html

boutons_
04-09-2006, 10:26 AM
"two in the upper leg and one in the lower leg."

So the earlier report of "lower body" (no distinction bettween body and limbs) was misleading.

velik_m
04-09-2006, 01:26 PM
"We were crying, shook by it.''

i will restrain from making an obvius joke.

good luck to Hodge

ChumpDumper
04-09-2006, 03:37 PM
"two in the upper leg and one in the lower leg."

So the earlier report of "lower body" (no distinction bettween body and limbs) was misleading.Oh, I was always under the impression it was the lower extremeties - guess I got that from the Denver Post or some other report.

Guru of Nothing
04-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I wish I had the photoshop skills to blend "Dumb and Dumber" on a scooter sporting Uzis, and Julius Hodge.

Whoops! In retrospect, that was a tasteless thing for me to say.

That said, the "figure the odds" part of my brain says the shooting was all about a young man fucking up, and not just a random event. ... I hope I am wrong.