PDA

View Full Version : Guarding/Stealing it from Dirk off ball.

Fabbs
04-08-2006, 12:16 PM
When Dirk sets up 24 feet away and has not taken a dribble....
He kind of does that snakewinder motion raises the ball above his head, looking to get set to jump up a three pointer or long jumper. When the defender crowds him, he often puts the ball on the floor and dribbles with his left hand. He only takes like 3 huge steps and is near the rim or at least well in the paint for a pull up jumper.

Okay, as he is doing that diagonal step/dribble across the foul line, often time the ball is exposed as such that the off defensive guard (Tony P for example) looks like they could time Dirks dribble to swoop in for the easy steal or tapaway. I'm not talking about the off guard coming so early that Dirk would recognize and pass to the Mav the defender just left. But Dirk takes such huge steps and long dribbles that I believe if defender waited and timed the pounce when Dirk had his eyes and mind on the hoop (2nd dribble or so) that he is ripe for the pickin. It's not like Dirk us uber fast at recognition. Especially with superfast Tony pouncing in.

Whadaya think? If I'd taped I'd give some exact for instances.... :spin

Other steal-from-Dirk ops are when a player overplays him to one side (saw Tony P do this last night), purposely intending for Dirk to do his long but slow spinaround-turnaround jumper. Dirk does that one long last dribble that again, if timed it looks ripe for the picking from a backside defender. Tim Dunker looked slow as mollasses last night.