PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys back on OAI

AlamoSpursFan
04-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Cowboys, WOAI reach deal

Web Posted: 04/07/2006 04:17 PM CDT
Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

News Radio 1200 WOAI announced Friday it has reached a two-year agreement with the Dallas Cowboys to broadcast the team’s games starting this fall.

WOAI’s coverage begins with the preseason opener on Aug. 12 at Seattle and will include a local NFL show before each game, as well as network pre-game and post-game coverage.

Coverage will also extend to WOAI’s sister station, Ticket 760, which will feature a weekly one-hour Cowboys show.

“Our team has always enjoyed a great fan following in San Antonio, and we know that WOAI will be able to satisfy the tremendous thirst for Cowboys information and programming in San Antonio,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said.

Said WOAI program director Nate Lundy: “It’s great to have the Cowboys back on the blowtorch. They are a great compliment to our already winning line-up.”

WOAI and Ticket 760 have the local broadcasting rights to the Spurs, the Rampage and the Silver Stars. The stations also carry Texas and Texas A&M football and basketball, the Houston Astros and the Houston Texans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected]

Vashner
04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Yea that's why they didn't cover the other side of the story. About Jones buyoff of San Antonio so we won't seek an expansion.

Ok well I don't blame Jason and Rob for ducking the issue. Everyone has to put food on the plate.

Melmart1
04-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Yea that's why they didn't cover the other side of the story. About Jones buyoff of San Antonio so we won't seek an expansion.

Ok well I don't blame Jason and Rob for ducking the issue. Everyone has to put food on the plate.

Your hatred of Jones is irritating. Seriously. If you hate the Cowboys that much, stop posting about them.

Vashner
04-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I can post about him if I want. Do you wish to counter the arguement that he is trying to stop us from getting a team.

I want San Antonio to get an NFL team. I object to label "small town".

Yes I hate him for trading Jimmy Johnson.. he ruined the team.

It's kinda wierd on a sports forum to ask someone to stop lol.

My comment was about the two drive time hosts.

This thread would be empty with my post anyway..

I win...

samikeyp
04-09-2006, 12:52 AM
About Jones buyoff of San Antonio so we won't seek an expansion.

We have all heard you spout off about this for months. Personally, I don't believe you but in the interest of fairness, I would like you to take this opportunity to prove your theory. I want to see proof of this buyoff. If you can prove this, I would been really interested. Totally serious here.

Chris
04-09-2006, 07:36 AM
This is great news!

Vashner
04-09-2006, 08:35 AM
We have all heard you spout off about this for months. Personally, I don't believe you but in the interest of fairness, I would like you to take this opportunity to prove your theory. I want to see proof of this buyoff. If you can prove this, I would been really interested. Totally serious here.

For months? They just announced they where coming back so there are only 2 posts I think talking about training camp here. Why would Jones put a clause in the contract saying that if we get an NFL expansion he will pull out his operations. The cowboys where NOT looking at coming to San Antonio till after we started hosting the Saints.

Now do you mean spouting off about us not being a small city?

Spouting off about Jerry Jones firing Jimmy .. yea for years.

This is a discussion forum btw. If you guys want everyone just agreeing then just read the news. That will give you a nice one sided feed.

I guarantee you that WOAI staff IS and was under pressure because of the new contract to NOT explore this issue on the radio. That is my gut feeling.

The envelope of cash has been passed to city hall and on it says "ha ha no NFL for you San Antonio small town".

---------------------------------------------------

Edit add: Ok after some searching on google.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12127664/

Camp Cowboys is seen by some as a backward step

By W. Scott Bailey
San Antonio Business Journal
Updated: 8:00 p.m. ET April 2, 2006
Mayor Phil Hardberger says the five-year deal the city has offered the Dallas Cowboys to hold summer practice sessions here could net the city $200,000 annually.

But critics claim such a deal only allows Cowboys owner Jerry Jones a chance to squash some momentum here and further delay any arrival of a permanent NFL team for the nation's eighth largest city.

"I understand why they (the Cowboys) would want to do this," Cisneros says. "They want to postpone the day when we have our own NFL team."

Archer says he understands those concerns. But he says Jones is not going to keep San Antonio out of the NFL forever. Archer also says city officials have made it clear from the moment they entered into discussions with the Cowboys that any training camp deal with Dallas' team would be terminated the second San Antonio got its own franchise.

Cisneros, who worked for years to try and build up the image of a city that some had cast aside as insignificant in decades past, does not understand the rush by people here to align with another city's team.

"Cities are, in a way, like kingdoms," Cisneros explains. "Why San Antonians would want to be a cultural colony of another city, I don't understand. But it is antithetical to our ambition to be our own identity on the global scene.

"Every time we reject the opportunity to create our own cultural presence with our own San Antonio NFL team because we have loyalty to another city's team -- it just says 'little league.' "

Archer says a deal with the Cowboys will not undue what San Antonio accomplished with the Saints. And he says it should not be viewed as a sign that Hardberger has given up on his effort to bring an NFL team to San Antonio.

samikeyp
04-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Who wants to agree on everything? We know this is a discussion forum....and we are discussing this issue. I agree with you about the whole "small market" thing. I also agree with you about Jimmy Johnson...stupidest thing Jones ever did. I just want to see proof of some payment to the city from the Cowboys to curtail expansion.

The radio theory is an interesting one. Who put the pressure on OAI not to talk about it? If that is the case, there are some serious first amendment issues there. Do you know for a fact something was done or is it just a theory? You said you guarantee that pressure was put on (as in its already been done), then you said it was a feeling. If someone was supressing the media....that is not a good thing. Not trying to be a dick, just wanting clarification.

I would agree with you that Jones probably doesn't want a team here because of the Cowboys fan base since neither of us have access to JJ, we don't know 100% but it is a sound opinion.

exstatic
04-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Jones doesn't want an NFC team here. An AFC team in SA would allow him to continue to broadcast his Cowboy crack to the faithful in SA every week.

samikeyp
04-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I see your point, Ex....but IMO, I think JJ would prefer us to be teamless. Even an AFC team here could potentially take away from his pocketbook. Although I imagine there would be a lot of fans who root for the AFC team and the Cowboys. I would be one of them.

exstatic
04-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Mikey, television is king. Jerry might not be thrilled with a team here, but I think he was actively and agitatedly working against the Saints being here. I'm not sure that's the case if he can still broadcast into this market with an AFC team living here.

I think the best chance of an AFC team moving in the near future is San Diego. Tagliabue seem really resistant to a downward market size move, though, so the NFL front office may not go for it. Then it would be up to the owner to defy them, or fall in line. That would probably depend on what kind of an offer SA puts on the table, stadium-wise. They may agree to play in the A-Dome for a few years (maybe up to 5), but they are going to want a new venue. They're struggling in SD because they are in a 40 YO stadium.

Jacksonville may be a chance to get a team without resistance from the NFL. Their market is a little larger, but basically static, where ours is growing. Their stadium is a refurbished college venue, the old Gatorbowl (now AllTel). I believe it has two large "touchdown" clubs on either side, but no individual luxury boxes for sale. The city has been pissy with the team, challeging the revenues that the team made from selling naming rights to the touchdown clubs (in court), but they are NOT financially insolvent like SD, and if faced with losing the team, they may geek and pony up a new venue for the team.

Edit - my bad. JAX is a smaller market, #52. The NFL sure fucked up their growth projections back when JAX and CAR entered the league. I believe they were teams #27 and #28.

LEONARD
04-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Screw that...listen to the original Ticket and the home of the Cowboys online...

theticket.com

:spin

For the draft, you'll know who they're drafting before it's on TV, and you'll get to hear Jones / Parcells phone calls to the guys they picked...

Obstructed_View
04-24-2006, 04:37 PM
What did the Cowboys get when they traded the coach, aside from one more Super Bowl?

maxpower
04-24-2006, 09:25 PM
"Serious First Amendment issues..." ?? I don't think that applies to two private entities. If the cowboys wanted to in a roundabout way influence a client I am certain they could. They do, after all, have hand.

PeterBurns
04-24-2006, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=Vashner]

I guarantee you that WOAI staff IS and was under pressure because of the new contract to NOT explore this issue on the radio. That is my gut feeling.

QUOTE]

Explain that to me more Vashner. Why would we be under pressure. Because if we say something bad, he might not put the training camp here.

The best thing that could happen for WOAI is that he wouldn't have Cowboys camp here.

Follow me.

If he doesn't have camp here, the influence isn't as big as it could be, therefore helping the chances of the league looking at SA as a football choice. WOAi would like that because it would be the flagship of any team professional team.

Maybe I'm confused on why WOAI would be under wraps. Please explain better

samikeyp
04-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Don't you run Clear Channel, Pete? :)

AlamoSpursFan
04-25-2006, 01:16 PM
WOAi would like that because it would be the flagship of any team professional team.

When you assume, Wife Pimp, you make an ASS out of U and ME.

:lol

PeterBurns
04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
C'mon ASF.
I know you are a big KTSA guy. But let's not kid anybody.
KTSA's largest sporting event from now on will be NASCAR.

Besides it wasn't an assumption, it was a statement.

So it appears that you ASS U MED that I assumed.
Which you know what that means.........

AlamoSpursFan
04-26-2006, 06:25 PM
First, the :lol implied I was mostly kidding.

Second, OAI was stupid not to jump on the NASCAR thing before KTSA did. It's a cash cow.

PeterBurns
04-26-2006, 06:41 PM
First, the :lol implied I was mostly kidding.

Second, OAI was stupid not to jump on the NASCAR thing before KTSA did. It's a cash cow.

Just busting your chop. No worries.
Still haven't figured out the whole Nascar thing, but people swear by it.
I dunno. Guess I'll have to check it out one day.

Your a big KTSA guy right? Are you just a CD fan or do you work with them?

AlamoSpursFan
04-27-2006, 07:47 PM
I call screened for a bit during Chris' Hurricane Rita marathon, but it was like 4 am and no one called in...other than that, nope. Just friends with Dawn, Chris and J.T. Street.

Drive around town some Sunday when a race is on with your windows down. You'll be amazed how many people you'll pull up next to who are listening to the race.

PeterBurns
04-28-2006, 01:48 PM
Cool.
I'll have to check it out, as I've got a few people that tell me it's pretty cool.
If I'm to pick a certain guy to pull for, who would you suggest?