PDA

View Full Version : High Gas Prices $$$

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 03:42 PM
I just went to fill up my tank @ Shell And the cheapest was $2.65 It seems like It's going up every day :wow

If I didn't live so far from work I would be taking my bike :bike:

http://www.lenclark.com/high_price_of_gas.jpg

I feel for my friends who drive trucks, they say It takes about $42.00-$45.00 dollars to fill up their tank...

Pistons < Spurs
04-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I paid $2.75 yesterday here in Mich.

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 03:45 PM
I paid $2.75 yesterday here in Mich.

I filled up my tank with $32.00 dollars a litte while ago. There goes my pedicure :depressed

Carie
04-08-2006, 03:55 PM
Yep, it costs us over $40 a fill-up, and we have to do that several times a week. I can't wait until John starts working in San Antonio again!

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 04:02 PM
http://www.dataste.com/blog/wordpress/wp-images/smilies/high_price_gas.jpg

Carie
04-08-2006, 04:16 PM
LOL, that's certainly what it feels like!

sa_butta
04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
I got gas today for $2.54 and I guess that is a good deal.
HEB on Jackson Keller and West Ave.

It is said to be up to $3.00/gal by summertime.

leemajors
04-08-2006, 05:22 PM
and meanwhile, exxon passes wal mart as the top moneymaking corporation. coincidence?

Jekka
04-08-2006, 05:36 PM
It was a sad day when it took $30 to fill up the tank in my Civic right after Katrina, and it looks like the days of wallet-robbery are back. The amount of profit petroleum companies are making is absolutely ridiculous.

SpursWoman
04-08-2006, 05:36 PM
I just filled up my gas can so I could use my leaf blower. For $6.15. And it's a little can. :flipoff

sa_butta
04-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Bastards are laughing all the way to the bank.

KEDA
04-08-2006, 06:28 PM
its 62 dollars to fill up my truck, and thats about a weeks worth of gas :(

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 07:02 PM
its 62 dollars to fill up my truck, and thats about a weeks worth of gas :(

That's a pedicure and a new nail set for me :depressed

chode_regulator
04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
I just went to fill up my tank @ Shell And the cheapest was $2.65

I feel for my friends who drive trucks, they say It takes about $42.00-$45.00 dollars to fill up their tank...
at that price its alot more than 45 for a truck. last july, when i still had a truck and gas was around 2.30ish it cost me over 50, almost 60.
now i drive a small car and it still costs me over 40, but i have to use premium now. :depressed which ive found actually isnt that much of a price difference between reg and premium. :spin

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-08-2006, 09:27 PM
The lesson to be learned in this thread is to go invest in Exxon.

Darrin
04-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Do you know what the average price for a gallon of gasoline was on the day that George W. Bush was sworn into office the first time?

$1.37 - national average. I'm ardently against Bush, but I was simply using that as a recent benchmark here, not an insinuation of his family's investments in the Saudi-based Carlysle Group.

Last summer, at the height of the energy consumption of vacationers and the Katrina problems, it peaked at $3.12 a gallon. The state's governor threatened an investigation and the raising of taxes for selling oil in Michigan if the companies didn't get it below $3.00. We are sixty cents away from that threshold of last summer. I am for alternative fuels and I believe that in order for the United States to survive it needs to simplify its relationship with Middle Eastern countries while simultaneously keeping the US at the forefront of discovery and innovation. In order for the US to maintain its place as competition grows for cheaper labor and more demand on resources including oil, it must be the priority of every American to be at the forefront of innovation, and that leads to needing a better school system, but I digress.

Teaching the world to be independant from oil is the best, most obvious area of development - it's our space race. I believe that higher gas prices help sour the addiction and spur this development. But when the minimum wage is $5.15 per hour, and half of that hourly wage is going into the gas tank, in the short run it is hurting the American economy, and the middle class. Habits are going to start changing soon; they already have in my family.

Retail outlets will be doing worse and worse while online shopping and wireless connnections explode. More and more people will carpool to work or look closer to home for their jobs; people moving closer to their work or not accepting a position downtown when they live in the suburbs. This is making predictable habits unpredictable, and therefore, this will shake consumer confidence in the economy because the old indicators may signal a stagnant economy.

Oil is as bad for this country as cigarettes are to the human body. We need to get off of it and that means not only gas stations and furnaces, but the plastics that make up this computer that I am typing on right now.

Old School Chic
04-08-2006, 10:02 PM
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Awesome!

That's why I didn't vote for zipper mouth (Bush Shit)

Guru of Nothing
04-08-2006, 10:59 PM
San Antonio represents an urban design that rapes the consumer.

Ask yourself, how many miles do you (and your spouse) drive, weekly.

Jekka
04-08-2006, 11:24 PM
There was an interview with a former president of Brazil on NPR the other day that talked a lot about US dependence on oil. Apparently in Brazil all of their vehicles have to be flex-fuel and they use ethanol from the sugarcane they grow - so while they are breaking away from oil dependence they are also supporting their own economy. Sugarcane ethanol is also superior to ethanol from corn - but surprise! the US will not allow them to sell their ethanol here.

DDS4
04-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Rooks. Try living in California.

Just filled up my car for $50. $3.19/gallon.

My trick is to invest in oil companies to get my money back.

Vashner
04-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Yea it's high. It's going to be 4 bucks by end of next year.

On the planet as a whole so many new cars are rolling. Every pimple faced teen on earth wants a pimped ride.

Please don't degerate this thread into a Bush bash. There are bout 10,000 threads on Bush and oil in politics. Keep the mud slinging off the bar.

This club should smell like beer and fun not fuckin stinkin politics.

Vashner
04-09-2006, 12:19 AM
There was an interview with a former president of Brazil on NPR the other day that talked a lot about US dependence on oil. Apparently in Brazil all of their vehicles have to be flex-fuel and they use ethanol from the sugarcane they grow - so while they are breaking away from oil dependence they are also supporting their own economy. Sugarcane ethanol is also superior to ethanol from corn - but surprise! the US will not allow them to sell their ethanol here.

It's more complicated than that. That shit is hard on engines too. Plus we make Ethanol here in US from corn. Transporting it from Brazil? I don't know...

If we want to do sugarcane Hawaii would be involved too.

Zombie
04-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Ethanol has to be transported by truck or rail cars. Pipe lines can not be used. Ethanol draws in moisture and to much makes it worthless.

We do not want ethanol fuel in SA!

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 01:29 PM
It's more complicated than that. That shit is hard on engines too. Plus we make Ethanol here in US from corn. Transporting it from Brazil? I don't know...

If we want to do sugarcane Hawaii would be involved too.
Ethanol is incpmatible with certain elastomers which typically are used in U.S. engines.

The use of different elastomers is the only difference in a "flex-fuel" engine.

chode_regulator
04-09-2006, 02:05 PM
is there any particular "reason" for gas going back up
i mean first they wre trying to say bc were at war, then it was the hurricanes, then the shortage bc of the hurricanes.
doesnt seem like theyre even trying to justify it anymore. :wtf
i would seriously kill the execs of the big oil companies if it meant they would stop raping the whole country. this is getting ridiculous
and what really pisses me off is when they try to justify it by comparing it to other countries gas prices. i dont give a shit what england pays for gas or any othe rcountry, except for the fact that iraq pays for gas what our grandparents did when they were teenagers.

mookie2001
04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
no shit a ounce a shwag probably costs $1000 in japan
we should be lucky to pay $300-500

Horry For 3!
04-09-2006, 02:14 PM
It was $2.69 for me earlier this week, filled up to 3 quarters of a tank for $33 :pctoss

Darrin
04-09-2006, 02:20 PM
San Antonio represents an urban design that rapes the consumer.

Ask yourself, how many miles do you (and your spouse) drive, weekly.

The Motor City is with you. I can think of at least 5 legitimate projects for public transit (subways, railcars, and busing) that were killed because the Motor City couldn't have its workers coming to work without a car. And it keeps getting worse becuase people commute 20-30 miles a day so they can live in the suburbs and work downtown. You cannot survive on day-to-day living in this section of the country if you do not have a car.

Darrin
04-09-2006, 02:23 PM
i mean first they wre trying to say bc were at war, then it was the hurricanes, then the shortage bc of the hurricanes.
i would seriously kill the execs of the big oil companies if it meant they would stop raping the whole country. this is getting ridiculous
and what really pisses me off is when they try to justify it by comparing it to other countries gas prices. i dont give a shit what england pays for gas or any othe rcountry, except for the fact that iraq pays for gas what our grandparents did when they were teenagers.

The reason being fed through the media is still Katrina. Apparently, the refineries are not back online.

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 02:27 PM
The big thing right now is that the oil companies are under a May 1 deadline to switch from MTBE to ethanol as an oxygenating additive.

AND, oil is $67 a barrel or thereabouts.

AND, for all the bitching about gas prices, Americans are using 2% more than they were this time last year.

But hey, we're Americans, so we're entitled to cheap gas. Milk and produce can jet upward in price, and people maybe furrow their brows a little bit. Gas goes up, and it's OUTRAGE EVERYWHERE. Then we feign ignorance about why our foreign policy is so oil-centric.

Darrin
04-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I complain about the spike in Milk, peanuts, Coffee, and Chicken products. I complained just as loudly. But there are other ways to get caffine, protein, and calcium. This is something we are universally dependant on. It affects if people can get to work or if they can afford to leave the heat on in the winter. Our consumption is spiking because it's the hoarding instinct. If gas prices stay this high and keep rising, the United States will abandon cars. One year is one thing, eight is something different.

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I complain about the spike in Milk, peanuts, Coffee, and Chicken products. I complained just as loudly. But there are other ways to get caffine, protein, and calcium. This is something we are universally dependant on. It affects if people can get to work or if they can afford to leave the heat on in the winter. Our consumption is spiking because it's the hoarding instinct. If gas prices stay this high and keep rising, the United States will abandon cars. One year is one thing, eight is something different.
The U.S. won't abandon cars; $8 gas in England hasn't caused them to abandon cars. We will abandon the big, thirsty ones, though, and our driving patterns will change.

Big SUV's increasingly will be the vehicles of the rich and of those who need to tow things. Suburban soccer moms will drive crossovers or even little hatchbacks

The big-box stores will lose some of their advantage relative to the neighborhood stores.

Traffic will slow down.

Central cities slowly will start to repopulate, as the white-flight housing premium becomes unaffordable.

For you in Michigan, obviously it sucks more, because your economy is dependent upon automakers whose business model is dependent upon cheap gas. In just a couple of years, they've gone from big profits to teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. We're going from U.S.-owned businesses building cars in the Upper Midwest to foreign-owned businesses building cars in the South.

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Oil is as bad for this country as cigarettes are to the human body. We need to get off of it and that means not only gas stations and furnaces, but the plastics that make up this computer that I am typing on right now.
Plastics don't make up enough of the demand to be of consequence. Your keyboard is made of the really cheap stuff. It's the use of oil for transportation fuel that is the big problem.

chode_regulator
04-09-2006, 04:04 PM
The big thing right now is that the oil companies are under a May 1 deadline to switch from MTBE to ethanol as an oxygenating additive.

AND, oil is $67 a barrel or thereabouts.

AND, for all the bitching about gas prices, Americans are using 2% more than they were this time last year.

But hey, we're Americans, so we're entitled to cheap gas. Milk and produce can jet upward in price, and people maybe furrow their brows a little bit. Gas goes up, and it's OUTRAGE EVERYWHERE. Then we feign ignorance about why our foreign policy is so oil-centric.
i understand that oil price is a big reason, and thats whyit went up so much from hurricane katrina and other shit bc oil was short so it went up, supposedely. what im saying is theres no reason for it. not even a month ago gas, premium, was under 2 bucks. now its almost 3. for no reason. and the "summer driving season" is coming up as well as hurricane season.
and i bithc about milk, though i only pay about 2 bcuks for a gallon, and produce going up. but then again i dont use 2 gallons of milk a day getgting to and from work. i hate when people make correlations between what a gallon of chocolate syrup costs compared to gas.
and again who cares what england has or hasnt done bc of gas prices. tough shit for them. i live in america and shouldnt be paying high gas prices bc of some asshole who wants to make an extra million/yr.
maybe i should just do my 20 in the military and get out and live in some foreign cheap place off my retirement. america is getting ridiculous
and mookie, dont worry abotu shwag prices going up, as long as another country is paying more its ok. :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-09-2006, 04:29 PM

Thank cities with emissions problems like Dallas and Houston, where all gasoline has to have certain additives in the fuel by I think it's May 1.

BTW, before you guys bitch, be thankful you live in SA (for the most part). It cost me $60 for my vehicle inspection up here in Dallas thanks to emissions testing. :wtf

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 04:29 PM
i understand that oil price is a big reason, and thats whyit went up so much from hurricane katrina and other shit bc oil was short so it went up, supposedely. what im saying is theres no reason for it. not even a month ago gas, premium, was under 2 bucks. now its almost 3. for no reason. and the "summer driving season" is coming up as well as hurricane season.
In a fungible commodity market like gasoline, price spikes can be caused by one of two factors:

1) market forces
2) collusion

There is some collusion in the oil markets because the OPEC nations try to fix price, but $67 oil alone does not explain our gas prices. So either it's a combination of strengthening demand and restricted supply in an inelastic market, or the oil bigwigs are price-fixing.

So, either every single politician and law enforcement official in this country is in cahoots with Big Oil, given that the first one to nail them for collusion could become popular enough to be elected President, which would mean this whole "democracy" thing is an illusion to keep us quiet, or the price is high because we have too much demand and not enough supply, and the slightest disruption creates price spikes, and we're screwed in the short and medium term.

clubalien
04-09-2006, 06:14 PM
my moms car is a brand new kia rio
it has such a small tank that it only takes about say 14 to fill it up. Howevever, it needs to be filled up alot.

clubalien
04-09-2006, 06:18 PM
BTW sugarcane ethonal can be sold here.. However it has high tariffs

also this summer MTBE will be replaced with ethonal

we make some in the USA but production isn;t enough so we will be buying some from brazil. SO not only will priceses go up because of normal summer cycle, but also because of the more expansive ethonal in gasoline. possible because of hurricanes and or iran

I fear we might not see 1.65 per gallon anytime soon

Jekka
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
my moms car is a brand new kia rio
it has such a small tank that it only takes about say 14 to fill it up. Howevever, it needs to be filled up alot.

My 2000 Civic takes about ten gallons every time I fill it, but if I'm driving mostly highway I can get 350 miles out of it. I haven't had a tune up in a while though, so once I do that my mileage will probably go back up to what it was when I first got the car, about 40 mpg.

I used to wish I had a bigger car sometimes, but since gas prices have gone up so much I'm really liking the 35 mpg on the smaller tank.

clubalien
04-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah the 4 cyclinder engine sucks when acclerating( 0 to 60 in 5 mins j/k), but compared to what all those SUV owners are paying for gas it is well worth it.

Extra Stout
04-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah the 4 cyclinder engine sucks when acclerating( 0 to 60 in 5 mins j/k), but compared to what all those SUV owners are paying for gas it is well worth it.
They're not so bad these days. My 4-cylinder gets from 0-60 in 7.5, though I only get 26 mpg combined rather than like 31 with the smaller engine available on that car.

Pistons < Spurs
04-13-2006, 08:46 PM
paid $2.85 tonight..... :depressed

Vashner
04-13-2006, 08:52 PM
Celica GT get's 35 hwy and is not to sloppy in acceleration. Don't know the stats.

I was going to get one as a 2nd car to run to Port A on weekends but the prices for them have gone UP! in last few months lol.

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
paid $2.85 tonight..... :depressed

I know the feeling... :depressed

T-Pain
04-13-2006, 10:45 PM
I know the feeling... :depressed
hey osc

Duff McCartney
04-13-2006, 11:03 PM
As I said in another thread..I would never buy an American car. Japanese cars are it for me...Toyota and Honda are leading the way in great gas mileage.

Old School Chic
04-13-2006, 11:05 PM
hey osc

Hi T-Pain :spin

T-Pain
04-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi T-Pain :spin

its about time :rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
04-13-2006, 11:39 PM
Ethanol has to be transported by truck or rail cars. Pipe lines can not be used. Ethanol draws in moisture and to much makes it worthless.

We do not want ethanol fuel in SA!

Why, lately we haven't had much moisture in SA anyway.

greyforest
04-14-2006, 12:02 AM
if you think gas is bad here, try going to europe

in denmark its about $7.00 per gallon. oh, also there is 150% sales tax on motor vehicles.

Trainwreck2100
04-14-2006, 12:06 AM
BTW, before you guys bitch, be thankful you live in SA (for the most part). It cost me $60 for my vehicle inspection up here in Dallas thanks to emissions testing. :wtf

Crazy white guy, don't you know people on the side :lol

Gin N Juice
04-14-2006, 09:20 AM
I filled up my tank with $32.00 dollars a litte while ago. There goes my pedicure :depressed

DON'T ...... neglect the tootsies.

leemajors
04-14-2006, 11:34 AM
if you think gas is bad here, try going to europe

in denmark its about $7.00 per gallon. oh, also there is 150% sales tax on motor vehicles.

they also have much much better public transportation than we do and a lot less sprawl.

Boris
04-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Thank God for cheap weed.

MoSpur
04-14-2006, 11:58 AM
I paid $58 to fill up on Monday.

easjer
04-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Well this perfectly captures our dilemma. We only have one car (thank goodness), and we commute to work together, since we work in the same place (thank goodness he got that job on campus). We would love to buy something closer to work, but the further inside the 610 Loop in Houston you get, the more jacked up the house prices are (and we are not even looking at houses, really, more like condos and townhouses). Throw in the outrageous property taxes and we can't afford to live any closer than we are now. So we have to drive, because we live so far away from work. Taking the bus is a last option, because it's a two hour trip on a normal day. God forbid something happen and it break down, cause then you'll be late to work or miss work entirely. The only houses we could afford to buy are even further out in the suburbs than where we currently live, and in the areas of the outer city with the worst traffic, because there has been such an expansion that the highway system is incapable of supporting the transportation needs.

This sucks.

MoSpur
04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't mind paying $1.89, but anything over $2.00 is just too much in my eyes. I don't see any relief in sight though.

JoePublic
04-14-2006, 12:06 PM
We're going over our budget again. Not in the position to just absorb the additional fuel costs. Need to make cuts. Going to Dallas for Vacation in June so had to increase our budget for gas. Could be past $3 a gallon by then if not more. Time to look into a mo-ped.

I'm glad my Saturn gets great MPG.

MoSpur
04-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I was in the Dallas area this past weekend and I had to fill up at a gas station where regular unleaded was $2.81.

easjer
04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
I paid $2.75 for regular unleaded on Wednesday. Mind you, I think the average here is $2.69-2.72, so it was a little high, but that $.03 a gallon doesn't add up to much with a 10-gallon tank.

MoSpur
04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I seriously want to buy one of those Vaspers or something like that. Its a scooter.

easjer
04-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Vespa. Very popular in Italy.

Did you know that the Saturn Vue offers a hybrid option, which gets 27 mpg city and 33 mpg highway and only costs $23000? Not bad for a hybrid SUV. The mileage could stand improvement, but they pointed out that in addition to improved mileage, you also use less gas overall because of the hybrid features (engine shut off while stopping, recharging while braking, etc).

Chevy is also coming out with a hybrid version of the Tahoe which is supposed to get over 30 mpg both city and highway, but the cost will be high.

Vashner
04-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Don't do it. Everytime I got to Cozumel they are scraping up tourists off the road from scooter accidents. The natives... that's another story. I have seen them with driver + 3 kids or 3 adults on a 50cc scooter lol...

If your getting a bike get a real motorcycle with quality disk breaks.

shelshor
04-14-2006, 03:55 PM
A friend opines that, after Katrina, the gas companies left it above $3.00 just long enough for us to get used to it, so that we'll accept anything below $3 with a sigh of relief that it isn't over $3
Another friend sends this gem from one of his farming publications--and, sorry, he didn't furnish a link, or even tell me which publication it was in:

To set the all time US record, adjusted for inflation, oil will have to top $90 a barrel to set a record and gas $3.19 a gallon at the retail pump; the record was set during the Carter administration

Taco
04-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Let's all buy Scooters and we can start our own SKOOTER GANG

My Skooter Gang name will be : Taco Loco

JMarkJohns
04-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Anyone in Yuma (Ducks), knows how rediculous gas prices are right now. All the winter visiters are leaving, so gas is in demand (those damn RV's guzzle gas *shaking head* ) and in the last three weeks the price has jumped from a low of $2.35 a gallon to a high of over $3.00. In the last two days alone the price has jumped nearly a quarter.

Crazy. I can't wait until they are gone.

greyforest
04-14-2006, 09:41 PM
they also have much much better public transportation than we do and a lot less sprawl.

exactly!!

the reason we are oil-dependant is because we all absolutely. must. have. a car. to get. ANYWHERE!

its pretty ridiculous. in my example, denmark, having a car is so expensive that it forces the middle class to use public transport. this, coupled with extensive train and bus service makes transportation the polar opposite of suburban-sprawl US. sure, you see subways in places like new york, but the size of new york in comparison to copenhagen is ridiculous. ffs, we don't have any pedestrian streets in the US...at all! every store, office, house, whatever has its own parking lot and driveway leading directly to it. once you see europe, you see that its truly not necessary...

Vashner
04-14-2006, 10:26 PM
That lifestyle sucks.

Having your own vehicle and choice to use it whenever, whereever is part of the American way. Beep that euro sheiot. They get my car and my land when my gun is empty hehe.

That does not mean technology can't help us find clean practical fuels for the future. But give up your own vehicle.. no thanks. That's a downgrade in life big time.

Pistons < Spurs
04-22-2006, 02:32 AM
I paid $2.99 today. On the radio I heard that parts of California is up to like 3.15 already.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2006, 02:45 AM
Im Glad We Invaded Iraq I Said
I Said Im Glad We Invaded Iraq I Saiddddd

ObiwanGinobili
04-22-2006, 08:50 AM
Crazy white guy, don't you know people on the side :lol

I've never paid for an inspection.
And about 40 % of my "renewed" registration tags have been picked up at locations other than the tax office.

ObiwanGinobili
04-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Let's all buy Scooters and we can start our own SKOOTER GANG

My Skooter Gang name will be : Taco Loco

Mine will be BlackBar.

Vashner
04-22-2006, 09:40 AM

Is your brain able to think about anything other than Bush?

The rest of the world is starting to buy cars. Millions of them.

Do you think 10 million new cars are just going to get gas from what?

That's right from the same supplies we all use right now. In China there are about 8 "million+" resident cities for every 1 of ours. And they are just now really starting to crank open new car dealerships. New roads and systems.

So expect China to buy millions more cars in the next few years. They might be 35 mpg 4 bangers but they still need gas.

http://www2.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/13/xin_070501140054730233757.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2006, 10:15 AM

I hate dumbass liberals. Iraq has about as much to do with our high gas prices as Can't Be Faded's small penis.

* Prices typically go up as we approach the summer

* China has about eleventy billion people who just realized owning a car is a lot better than walking everywhere

* Iran is doing the war hawk thing

* Population growth in India is also driving record car sales there

* Due to EPA standards (thanks to all the tree huggers running around crying about global warning) several states are having to switch/switched recently to an ethanol additive to gasoline instead of the 'global warming' inducing old additive. Ethanol suppliers have struggled to meet demand which has driven up the cost of gas due to its scarcity

* People seem to have forgotten that Rita and Katrina tag teamed to take out a ton of oil rigs last year. We're still missing over 350,000 barrels per day from production at this time last year. Think about that. Since last September, seven months ago, we've been missing anywhere from 300 to 350 thousand barrels of oil per day. To date we're short over 75 million barrels of oil out of the Gulf compared to the same time frame the year before .

But hey, why take the facts into consideration when you can make some dipshit crack on Bush?

Here's something else...

If you bought shares of Exxon-Mobil at this time last year, you would have gotten a 9.1% return on your investment, and another 2.1% from the dividend. 11.2% return on XOM stocks.

My 401k has grown 22% in the last year, I guess it's time we blame Bush for Fidelity mutual funds :rolleyes

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Way to be stuck in denial I saididdd

ObiwanGinobili
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
gotdamn.
I actually laugh out loud everytime you post "I saididdd".
:lol

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I saiddddddd you're a fucking dumbass I saiddddddidididid.

What do you disagree with? Bring something to the argument other than ignorant, dipshit leftist tree hugger mumbling.

Everything I enumerated has much more to do with our oil prices than us going into Iraq.

Hook Dem
04-22-2006, 11:03 AM
As I read all the posts, I see everyone bitching about the prices and low mileage. Has anyone given thought to conservation? Is all the driving you do really necessary? Sure, it's cool to go wherever you want whenever you want. It's true I don't have to go to work anymore so that probably puts me one up on you but I also don't jump in the old vehicle to go somewhere I probably didn't need to.Think about it! Did I really miss anything? I don't think so. I filled up over a week ago in Georgetown and I still have over 3/4 tank. I spend a lot of time at home watching the Spurs and pounding on this keyboard. I don't feel disconnected at all. There are a lot of people who just jump in the old vehicle because they are bored. That being the case coupled with the price of fuel, I don't have much sympathy. I don't like the high prices either but what are you gonna do about it? When I said I filled up in Georgetown, I was on my way back from Tunica Mississippi where I enjoyed a week of gambling. Now, some might say that I didn't need to go to Mississippi but I don't do that all the time. By staying home most of the time, I was able to save and conserve to afford it. Just a thought! http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5315/acccckkkkkk9uq.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2006, 11:26 AM
I saiddddddd you're a fucking dumbass I saiddddddidididid.

What do you disagree with? Bring something to the argument other than ignorant, dipshit leftist tree hugger mumbling.

Everything I enumerated has much more to do with our oil prices than us going into Iraq.

Okay, all those things are/have been/will continue happening. I agree for hte most part. But are we to believe that US Intelligence did or did not know about these factors and did or did not take them into consideration when waging a half decade long war that will tax resources and possibly have a synergistic effect upon the price of oil, especially with us alienating the middle east with our actions?

I saidddd

Cant_Be_Faded
04-22-2006, 11:28 AM
As I read all the posts, I see everyone bitching about the prices and low mileage. Has anyone given thought to conservation? Is all the driving you do really necessary? Sure, it's cool to go wherever you want whenever you want. It's true I don't have to go to work anymore so that probably puts me one up on you but I also don't jump in the old vehicle to go somewhere I probably didn't need to.Think about it! Did I really miss anything? I don't think so. I filled up over a week ago in Georgetown and I still have over 3/4 tank. I spend a lot of time at home watching the Spurs and pounding on this keyboard. I don't feel disconnected at all. There are a lot of people who just jump in the old vehicle because they are bored. That being the case coupled with the price of fuel, I don't have much sympathy. I don't like the high prices either but what are you gonna do about it? When I said I filled up in Georgetown, I was on my way back from Tunica Mississippi where I enjoyed a week of gambling. Now, some might say that I didn't need to go to Mississippi but I don't do that all the time. By staying home most of the time, I was able to save and conserve to afford it. Just a thought! http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/5315/acccckkkkkk9uq.gif (http://imageshack.us)

The only place I ever drive is to work.

Vashner
04-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Okay, all those things are/have been/will continue happening. I agree for hte most part. But are we to believe that US Intelligence did or did not know about these factors and did or did not take them into consideration when waging a half decade long war that will tax resources and possibly have a synergistic effect upon the price of oil, especially with us alienating the middle east with our actions?

I saidddd

The security of the country is more important than gas price control.

At the current price it is still cheap considering supply and demand.

You just don't get it do you.

Stuck on Stupid is what you are....

You don't go to war because of public opinion or gas prices dumbass. We went to war because every radical islam organisation wants to kill us and our way of life.

The American way of life is NOT to let killers like Saddam kill his own people.

One second you got liberals bashing Bush for war for oil.. the next crying about lack of cheap oil

MAKE UP YOUR FUCKING Mind..

give up your car and your air conditioning or shut the fuck up. You use the oil just like all of us do...

And as far as the war join the Army or shut the fuck up. Let the volunters serve and root for our side for a fucking change for once.

http://home.satx.rr.com/krograth/images/morons.jpg

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
But are we to believe that US Intelligence did or did not know about these factors and did or did not take them into consideration when waging a half decade long war that will tax resources and possibly have a synergistic effect upon the price of oil, especially with us alienating the middle east with our actions?

I saidddd

Again, Iraq has a marginal effect on costs of gas. Actually I forgot one other huge thing in my list - the environmental freaks, mainly through the actions of liberal Congressional types, have blocked the building of any new refinery in this country for over 25 years.

Did none of them stop to think what would happen when refining capacity was tapped out but the demand for fuel continued to increase as population grew?

I don't know if you're really young or what, but analysts have been forecasting this explosion in gas prices for years due to all the factors I cited, with the obvious exception of Katrina and Rita putting 200 oil rigs at the bottom of the Gulf.

You've also got some political turmoil in Nigeria right now which is also affecting prices.

Like I said, you accuse people of ignoring reality, but that seems to be what you're guilty of yourself due to your recycled, monotonous, stubborn insistance that we are seeing the prices at the pump that we are because of Iraq.

Every single thing I've listed in this thread has more to do with our gas prices than what's going on Iraq, and I'm sorry there's not a Democratic party talking point that states otherwise, it appears that's the only way that you'll understand.

And just to make myself clear, I'm not thilled about the gasoline prices. But economists have been saying this was going to happen for the last 10-12 years, and most were pointing at the time to our limited refining capacity (thanks, tree huggers) and the growth of the population in China as the key reasons, along with tightening environmental laws (thanks again, tree huggers).

So this shouldn't be a shock to anyone who was paying attention. America as a country has been making this bed for the last 20 years and now we're all going to have to lay in it.

There's three things we need to do to get out of this mess - get serious about researching alternative fuel sources, bring back nuclear power as a viable means for large-scale energy generation, and loosen all the looney environmental laws regarding refinery construction.

The irony is that most of this will only happen when the tree hugging left pulls their head out of their asses on the environmental regulations shit they scream about 24-7, and they're the ones screaming loudest that we need to do something about the gas prices.

But all they want to do is run and play Robin Hood with the profits of the oil companies that are largely being generated thanks to the laws they put in place surrounding our energy production and policies, instead of treating the root of the problems themselves - the idiotic laws they have put in place that make it next to impossible for this country to expand its energy production capabilities at a time when the population is exploding.

No forward thinking whatsoever, just bitching about the here and now and lots of screaming about 'not in my backyard'. You reap what you sow.

ChumpDumper
04-22-2006, 12:59 PM
You don't go to war because of public opinion or gas prices dumbass. We went to war because every radical islam organisation wants to kill us and our way of life.Those guys weren't in Iraq, but I understand you are easily confused.
The American way of life is NOT to let killers like Saddam kill his own people.I am so glad we invaded Sudan and stopped all the killing in Darfur. It's great to know the US will always act against evil no matter what.

xrayzebra
04-22-2006, 01:09 PM
It was a sad day when it took $30 to fill up the tank in my Civic right after Katrina, and it looks like the days of wallet-robbery are back. The amount of profit petroleum companies are making is absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah, a whole 10 percent profit. How much does you company make.
How much you pay for a gallon of milk and that bottle of water you
are sucking on. Paper said Friday I think it was, gas is really at about
what it should be when compared to prices in the past. We paid three
dollars a gallon back in the eighties, I think it was, in todays dollars for
a gallon of gas.

Oh, and ask your congressman or state rep if they would care to cut
the governments profit on a gallon of gas......hehehehehe. I need a
good laugh and see tell me what they say.
:lol

xrayzebra
04-22-2006, 01:27 PM
In a fungible commodity market like gasoline, price spikes can be caused by one of two factors:

1) market forces
2) collusion

There is some collusion in the oil markets because the OPEC nations try to fix price, but $67 oil alone does not explain our gas prices. So either it's a combination of strengthening demand and restricted supply in an inelastic market, or the oil bigwigs are price-fixing.

So, either every single politician and law enforcement official in this country is in cahoots with Big Oil, given that the first one to nail them for collusion could become popular enough to be elected President, which would mean this whole "democracy" thing is an illusion to keep us quiet, or the price is high because we have too much demand and not enough supply, and the slightest disruption creates price spikes, and we're screwed in the short and medium term.

That is the big problem as well as the additives, which cant be sent
by pipeline, ethanol, too corrosive, so has to be shipped by truck.
Maybe the environmentalist are in cahoots with big oil, since they keep
stopping us from getting more oil by opposing drilling anywhere in the
U.S.. Mexico and Cuba are out in the Gulf drilling now, and where are
we....our Government passes laws stopping us from drilling.

Even our wonderful liberal friends up East don't want windmills in the
Atlantic, would ruin their view. What a bunch, what a bunch......

Extra Stout
04-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Again, Iraq has a marginal effect on costs of gas. Actually I forgot one other huge thing in my list - the environmental freaks, mainly through the actions of liberal Congressional types, have blocked the building of any new refinery in this country for over 25 years.

Did none of them stop to think what would happen when refining capacity was tapped out but the demand for fuel continued to increase as population grew?
Fact check: oil companies actually have shut down several refineries over the past 25 years, not because enviros or the government forced them to, but because it makes business sense to get rid of outdated, high-cost facilities, and to keep supply tight with demand in order to keep prices up.

E20
04-22-2006, 08:30 PM
National average is up to 2.88.

Extra Stout
04-23-2006, 06:41 PM
We paid three
dollars a gallon back in the eighties, I think it was, in todays dollars for
a gallon of gas. :lol
That was in 1981. The spike in prices caused an economic depression. The economy is more robust now. But it can't hold out forever. On the news tonight, they were saying to expect $5 gas this summer, and even higher in the southeastern states ($6-$8 a gallon). That will start a depression.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Fact check: oil companies actually have shut down several refineries over the past 25 years, not because enviros or the government forced them to, but because it makes business sense to get rid of outdated, high-cost facilities

Well duh, if you've got a refinery where it costs twice as much to refine as your other ones due to the cost of maintenance and parts, that makes sense.

The problem with that idea is that the environmental goons wouldn't let them build a new, more efficient one to replace it.

METALMiKE
04-23-2006, 11:07 PM
My biggest problem with the gas is that it varies like 3 cents every block. lol

1Parker1
04-24-2006, 10:09 AM
Actually, around here they're running low on gas. I passed by 2 gas stations the other day which had signs that they were closed due to a shortage of gass ! :wow