PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the playoffs in the West this year?

BronxCowboy
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
Might be hard to decide who doesn't. Here's my attempt at a prediction (never been right before, so no biggy if I'm wrong again).

Spurs: Kept all of the key players and made some key role player additions

Wolves: Like the Spurs, kept a very good core intact, and should be better health-wise

Kings: Will miss Old Man Flops, but if they can work out their chemistry, still have plenty of guns

Mavs: Don't think anybody will be as good a fit for them as Nasty was, but if JT works out ok, they should still have a potent offense and they did manage to add some D (on paper at least). Thin at the 4, which could be a problem.

Lakers: Won't challenge for the conference title this year, but still have lots of talent. Could be decent if Kobe shares the ball (cough).

Jazz: Barely missed playoffs last year, have a very much improved frontcourt, and Arroyo should come on strong

Nuggets: Again, kept last year's playoff core together and added KMart (that's supposed to be a good thing, right?) Chemistry and backcourt depth will be problems.

Blazers: Were almost unbeatable at the end of last season, returned their core, and added some backcourt depth and shooting. They will surprise people if Abdur-Rahim doesn't become a cancer and everybody stays out of jail (big ifs, but with all the good teams in the west, have to take a chance somewhere)

Let's hear some other predictions.

spursfaninla
10-03-2004, 04:08 PM
I think putting the Blazers on there instead of Houston is silly. Houston can play defense, has a go-to player, and moreover 2 players who can be legit superstars.

They are balanced, with a star post player and a star wing player.

They will need a few years to mesh, and for Yao to come into his prime, but they would beat Portland senseless if port somehow sneaks into the playoffs, as would almost every other playoff team listed here.

Portland is just too shakey in terms of chemistry, as well as defense, to get to the playoffs. Their pg sucks, they still have legal problems, and their best player can't play d.

I would put the griz before portland also.

Phoenix is stacked, but missing frontcourt defense, in the same boat as Portland but with more talent.

Portland is probably around 11-12 seed.

BronxCowboy
10-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Fair enough. Let's hear your predictions.